Apr 11, 2014, 6:35 PM EST
ATLANTA — Doug Fister took another key step toward his eventual return from a strained lat muscle on Friday, throwing 35 pitches in a bullpen session at Turner Field and reporting no problems with either his side or his elbow.
“Really impressive,” manager Matt Williams said. “Threw it where he wanted to, had good life, he felt good after. We’ll progress from there, but it’s a really encouraging sign that he felt good afterward.”
Out since the final day of spring training when he felt tightness in his side while trying to pitch a minor-league game in Viera, Fister had only been throwing on flat ground in recent days but ramped it up Friday afternoon in pitching atop a bullpen mound for the first time. He threw mostly fastballs and changeups, according to Williams, but mixed in a few breaking balls along the way.
The Nationals plan to have Fister throw off a mound again in a few days, building up to 50 pitches. After that, he would likely be ready to face live hitters, either in a simulated game or perhaps on a rehab assignment in Viera or with one of the club’s minor-league affiliates.
“He’ll definitely have to have [a rehab assignment],” Williams said. “The question is when. We don’t know that yet.”
Though elbow inflammation initially slowed Fister’s progress in spring training, that issue has not cropped up at all over the last two weeks.
“He was fine until the lat issue,” Williams said. “So right now, it’s the lat. In all of his throwing and all the stuff we’ve been doing, he hasn’t reported any problem with the elbow. So that’s great.”
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'
- Nats roster preview: Wilson Ramos
- Phillies adjust front office as Gillick becomes full-time team president
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros