Apr 14, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
After getting swept by the Braves in Atlanta, the Nationals now move on to Miami for a three-game series with the reeling Marlins. The Marlins began the season 5-1, but have since lost seven consecutive games, including a sweep at Nationals Park last week.
Jordan Zimmermann (0-0, 8.10) pitched one of those games and had the shortest start of his MLB career. On April 9 he was yanked in the second inning after coughing up five earned runs on seven hits and two walks. Today he will look to bounce back from that forgettable performance.
Pitching for the Marlins is left-hander Brad Hand (0-0, 3.24), a four-year MLB veteran. Hand is making his second start of the season after appearing twice out of the bullpen to begin the year. He has a troubled history against the Nats with 15 earned runs in 17 2/3 innings. He has six appearances vs. the Nats on his résumé, two of them starts. He was Zimmermann’s counterpart on April 9 and gave up three earned runs in 3 1/3 innings.
Adam LaRoche is out of the Nationals lineup for the first time this season, and Nate McLouth is off as well. McLouth missed last night’s game with a sore left knee. LaRoche is likely out because the Nats are facing a lefty.
Enjoy the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at MIAMI MARLINS
Where: Marlins Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Partly cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 10 mph
3B Anthony Rendon
LF Kevin Frandsen
RF Jayson Werth
CF Bryce Harper
SS Ian Desmond
1B Tyler Moore
2B Danny Espinosa
C Sandy Leon
RHP Jordan Zimmermann
LHP Brad Hand
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates
- Does weeklong tear mean Desmond is back?