Apr 17, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
Nationals center fielder Denard Span completed his first minor league rehab assignment on Thursday night with the Single-A Hagerstown Suns, going 1-for-2 with three runs, an RBI and two walks.
Span also played five innings in center field before he was removed from the game. He walked in his first at-bat and later scored on a throwing error by Lakewood shortstop J.P. Crawford.
In Span’s second at-bat he reached on an infield single, a line drive that was deflected by pitcher Alejandro Atreaga. He scored two batters later on a single by John Wooten.
Span reached base in his third at-bat on a fielder’s choice infield groundball. He then scored on a Wooten double.
Span’s fourth at-bat came in the bottom of the fourth inning where he walked with two outs. The next batter then flew out to end the inning.
Span is currently on the 7-day disabled list with a concussion he suffered Friday night in Atlanta. He took a hit to the head when running from first to second base as Braves infielder Dan Uggla collided with him above the shoulders.
Span is expected to play at least one more minor league game before he is eligible to return from the DL on Saturday.
Span tweeted after the game that “everything felt ok.”
Had a lot of fun tonight in my first rehab game.. Good group of guys that play the game hard on this Hagerstown ball club.Everything felt ok
— Denard Span (@thisisdspan) April 18, 2014
We should have more on this story after tonight’s Nationals and Cardinals game when manager Matt Williams speaks to the media.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager
- October madness: All 4 MLB division playoff series in action
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game