Apr 18, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
[Updated 10:40 p.m.]
Nationals center fielder Denard Span completed his second rehab assignment game with the Single-A Hagerstown Suns on Friday night as he aims for a weekend return from the seven-day disabled list.
Span, who is recovering from a concussion sustained on April 11 in Atlanta, went 1-for-2 with a walk and an RBI. He was removed for a pinch-runner in the third inning with the Suns leading the Lakewood Blueclaws.
Nationals manager Matt Williams said Span is likely to be in the Nats’ lineup on Saturday to face the St. Louis Cardinals.
“He had three at-bats tonight. He’s all good to go. He’s going to come back here tonight and we’ll evaluate tomorrow. He was good tonight.”
Span led off for the Suns and flew out to center field in his first at-bat in the first inning. He then singled an inning later on a groundball to right field that brought Spencer Kieboom home for a run.
Span drew the walk in his third at-bat in the bottom of the third. He was then replaced by Rafael Bautista on first base.
Span went 1-for-2 on Thursday night with three runs in his first rehab appearance. In two games with Hagerstown, Span went 2-for-4 with three runs, two RBI, three walks and a stolen base.
For the second straight night, Span sent out a tweet updating his progress:
Had another good night.. Gotta say thanks to the Hagerstown suns for rolling out the red carpet for me.. Now time to get back to #work
— Denard Span (@thisisdspan) April 19, 2014
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured