Apr 18, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
[Updated 10:40 p.m.]
Nationals center fielder Denard Span completed his second rehab assignment game with the Single-A Hagerstown Suns on Friday night as he aims for a weekend return from the seven-day disabled list.
Span, who is recovering from a concussion sustained on April 11 in Atlanta, went 1-for-2 with a walk and an RBI. He was removed for a pinch-runner in the third inning with the Suns leading the Lakewood Blueclaws.
Nationals manager Matt Williams said Span is likely to be in the Nats’ lineup on Saturday to face the St. Louis Cardinals.
“He had three at-bats tonight. He’s all good to go. He’s going to come back here tonight and we’ll evaluate tomorrow. He was good tonight.”
Span led off for the Suns and flew out to center field in his first at-bat in the first inning. He then singled an inning later on a groundball to right field that brought Spencer Kieboom home for a run.
Span drew the walk in his third at-bat in the bottom of the third. He was then replaced by Rafael Bautista on first base.
Span went 1-for-2 on Thursday night with three runs in his first rehab appearance. In two games with Hagerstown, Span went 2-for-4 with three runs, two RBI, three walks and a stolen base.
For the second straight night, Span sent out a tweet updating his progress:
Had another good night.. Gotta say thanks to the Hagerstown suns for rolling out the red carpet for me.. Now time to get back to #work
— Denard Span (@thisisdspan) April 19, 2014
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Baseball in the District - Tom Schad joins for Nats roundtable
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly
- Nats and Phillies wrap up series with doubleheader
- Nats miffed at Phillies over postponed game
- Harper, Escobar, Span all out of Nats lineup again