Apr 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
On Thursday’s ‘The Baseball Show,’ one segment featured a discussion about the early season struggles of Stephen Strasburg. Strasburg through four starts carries a 1-2 record, 6.00 ERA and a WHIP that has soared to 1.571.
The Nats’ rotation as a whole, in fact, is now second-to-last in baseball with a 5.21 ERA as a group. Only Arizona (7.63) is worse, and guess who is at the top: the Atlanta Braves. The Braves’ rotation ERA is at 1.58, or less than one third of the Nats’.
Mark Zuckerman, Rob Carlin, Brent Harris and guest commentator Joe Orsulak discussed what is going on with Strasburg and the Nats’ rotation in this clip right here:
They also looked ahead to how Doug Fister can help the Nats once he returns:
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start