Apr 23, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman and Scott Hairston each are making progress in their recovery from injuries, Nationals manager Matt Williams said Wednesday.
Zimmerman, out since fracturing his right thumb on April 12, has begun conditioning exercises and has even performed some light fielding drills, using only his glove hand for now. The veteran third baseman is running on an underwater treadmill, an apparatus that allows him to exercise without risk of disrupting the broken thumb due to the repeated bounce of running on hard ground.
Zimmerman isn’t ready to begin squeezing a bat or applying pressure on the thumb, but a recent X-rays showed proper healing of the injury, and he’ll continue to get X-rays roughly every week until he’s ready to return, according to Williams.
The Nationals’ initial timetable of a 4-to-6 week recovery period for Zimmerman hasn’t changed, so he still is looking at rejoining the club in mid-May at the earliest, possibly later in the month.
Hairston, out since straining his left oblique muscle on April 6, is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list already, but the veteran outfielder still is working his way back.
Hairston took batting practice on the field Wednesday for the first time since suffering the injuries and had no complaints. He’ll need to go on a minor-league rehab assignment for several days before rejoining the club, making up for at-bats he lost while injured.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Strasburg, Nationals look to secure series win vs. Mariners
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League