Apr 23, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman and Scott Hairston each are making progress in their recovery from injuries, Nationals manager Matt Williams said Wednesday.
Zimmerman, out since fracturing his right thumb on April 12, has begun conditioning exercises and has even performed some light fielding drills, using only his glove hand for now. The veteran third baseman is running on an underwater treadmill, an apparatus that allows him to exercise without risk of disrupting the broken thumb due to the repeated bounce of running on hard ground.
Zimmerman isn’t ready to begin squeezing a bat or applying pressure on the thumb, but a recent X-rays showed proper healing of the injury, and he’ll continue to get X-rays roughly every week until he’s ready to return, according to Williams.
The Nationals’ initial timetable of a 4-to-6 week recovery period for Zimmerman hasn’t changed, so he still is looking at rejoining the club in mid-May at the earliest, possibly later in the month.
Hairston, out since straining his left oblique muscle on April 6, is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list already, but the veteran outfielder still is working his way back.
Hairston took batting practice on the field Wednesday for the first time since suffering the injuries and had no complaints. He’ll need to go on a minor-league rehab assignment for several days before rejoining the club, making up for at-bats he lost while injured.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip