Apr 23, 2014, 5:14 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman and Scott Hairston each are making progress in their recovery from injuries, Nationals manager Matt Williams said Wednesday.
Zimmerman, out since fracturing his right thumb on April 12, has begun conditioning exercises and has even performed some light fielding drills, using only his glove hand for now. The veteran third baseman is running on an underwater treadmill, an apparatus that allows him to exercise without risk of disrupting the broken thumb due to the repeated bounce of running on hard ground.
Zimmerman isn’t ready to begin squeezing a bat or applying pressure on the thumb, but a recent X-rays showed proper healing of the injury, and he’ll continue to get X-rays roughly every week until he’s ready to return, according to Williams.
The Nationals’ initial timetable of a 4-to-6 week recovery period for Zimmerman hasn’t changed, so he still is looking at rejoining the club in mid-May at the earliest, possibly later in the month.
Hairston, out since straining his left oblique muscle on April 6, is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list already, but the veteran outfielder still is working his way back.
Hairston took batting practice on the field Wednesday for the first time since suffering the injuries and had no complaints. He’ll need to go on a minor-league rehab assignment for several days before rejoining the club, making up for at-bats he lost while injured.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas