Apr 27, 2014, 2:17 PM EST
[Updated 6:02 p.m.]
Doug Fister completed his first minor league rehab assignment on Sunday afternoon with the Single-A Potomac Nationals, throwing 58 pitches across four innings.
Fister allowed three runs – all of them unearned – on six hits with no walks and three strikeouts. The first two runs came in the first inning and the third one on the fourth.
Fister is working his way back from a right lat strain that has kept him on the disabled list since the beginning of the season. He was placed on the DL on March 29 and has since made two appearances at extended spring training in Viera, Fla.
Fister said he felt no complications from his lat muscle after the outing.
“I wouldn’t say baseball results-wise, things didn’t come out as I hoped. But feeling-wise, I felt really good. I felt strong and didn’t have any issues in the lat. It’s just a matter of knocking off some rust and getting back out there.”
The right-hander joined the Nationals on Sunday evening and will travel with the team to Houston to continue his rehab on the road.
“He’s here,” Matt Williams said. “He’ll travel with us and continue to do his stuff, then go back out for another one.”
That rehab start will likely be Friday, but the Nationals are not sure which minor league affiliate he will join. Both Potomac and the Harrisburg Senators are on the road Friday, while Single-A Hagerstown is home.
If all goes well with Fister’s next start, he will be on track to return May 7 when the Nationals host the Dodgers.
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club