Game 27: Nats at Astros

Apr 29, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

The Nationals know they’re going to be without Bryce Harper — who had surgery today to repair a torn ligament in his left thumb — for the next two months or so. Tonight, we begin to find out how they deal with the prolonged loss of one of their key regulars.

Who replaces Harper in left field? Well, tonight it’s Kevin Frandsen. But that’s in part due to the fact the Nationals are playing in Houston, now an AL club, and thus need a designated hitter. That will be Jayson Werth, who hasn’t looked great in right field the last week or two, perhaps still dealing with a nagging groin injury. So Nate McLouth gets the start in right field, opening up left field for Frandsen.

Gio Gonzalez, meanwhile, takes the ball for the Nationals. Aside from one wretched start in Atlanta, the left-hander has been fantastic so far this season, posting a 1.50 ERA in four other outings.

I’m not in Houston for this series, but I’ll have a full update on Harper coming shortly, and I’ll have Instant Analysis as soon as the game ends. In the meantime, enjoy the conversation here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at HOUSTON ASTROS

UMPIRES
HP Ted Barrett (cc)
1B Paul Schrieber
2B Will Little
3B Mark Carlson

1. tcostant - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Is so strange to me that the Astros are in the AL. Just doesn’t seem right.

2. Doc - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:29 PM

On any given night, any MLB team can beat any other team—I hope that this isn’t the Astros night!

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Nats!

• adcwonk - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Ditto.

Scary thought: ‘Stros have scored more in the last 7 games than the Nats have.

3. letswin3 - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Geeeeeez, I was about to post that something must be wrong with Werth since he’s not scheduled to start in RF, but it finally dawned on me that this is the American League. Scrolled back up, and sure enough there was Mr. Werth in the DH spot. Also check out that pic of Bam Bam over there on the right …. how could he text with only one thumb? An obvious first rounder for the Texting Draft scheduled for Thursday (a real “Bonus Baby”).

4. Theophilus T.S. - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Do the Astros still have that tricked out hill in CF. If so, Spann needs to be careful lest he break an ankle.

5. philipd763 - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Is Stephen Souza still on the roster? If so, why not give him a start in the outfield. I have been impressed with the way he swings a bat.

6. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:47 PM

From the last thread about not sweeping the Stros… I meant from a mental standpoint. Stros just aren’t that good and with 2 of our top 3 pitchers going, a loss would not help the overall psyche.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Fortunately, our collective psyche has no effect on the outcome of games.

7. natsjackinfl - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I get a kick out of how people gauge what a team will do in any given series. The Nats have to play good clean baseball to beat any ML team, including the Astros. Just ask the Oakland A’s about their trip to Houston this weekend.

I prefer to let the games play out and watch the results happen. The Nats could lose 2 to Houston and I’ll still watch for the next 5 months and expect them to battle for the division and a playoff berth.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Disagree. We’re suppose to beat teams like this. Not doing so leaves a sour taste and at the end of the season, if we don’t make the playoffs by a game or so, you’ll look back and say we should have won those games.

• natsjackinfl - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM

So if the Nats drop 2 to the Astros, you’re done for the season?

Any disappointment I have by losing 2 will only be exacerbated by the day off Thursday. It’ll all disappear when they take the field Friday.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Of course not.

• jd - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:04 PM

veejh,

All it takes is a great pitching performance on any given night. I thought we would beat the Padres on Sunday and then Kennedy pitched a terrific game and shut us down.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Jd…I get it. I just think we’re suppose to win these games….especially w JZimm and Gio against this horrible batting team.

• stoatva - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Somehow the Astros are going to manage to win about sixty games this year, give or take. They won’t likely be favorites to win a single one. Yet they will, somehow.

Obvious, I know. But there it is.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:23 PM

• Another_Sam - Apr 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I’m with you, Jack.

BTW I get just as lifted by a win over any team, and I’m just as deflated by a loss to any team. I’m with you on it’s a long season and it unfolds a game and a time. I predict a win for every game. Each game starts out 0-0, so who can tell? HaHa.

Always good to read your remarks here, man.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I see both points…throughout the season, you want to win series (not every freakin game of course) you should win and try to win a few games you probably shouldn’t have (like beating Fernandez or even Ian Kennedy types once in a while).

• natsjackinfl - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I’ve looked over the Nats schedule and do not see any single game that they are supposed to win. Not one.

It’s why I watch.

• natsfan1a - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Well said.

On a somewhat related note, I remember back in the day how we were the team everyone was “supposed to beat.” I also remember how we’d sweep a series here and there and get the skipper fired for falling to the “lowly Nationals.” (Good times. But I digress.)

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM

And let’s through away statistics while we are at…useless junk that’s supposed to tell you if one team or pitcher is better than another.
        Of course, past performance is no guarantee for success but you don’t have to manipulate someone’s post to say that.

Of course, we don’t know the outcome of a game until the fat lady sings.
        Can we make any prediction what so ever. Should we count on Gio Gonzalez to be a better pitcher than I was.
        What’s your point, LONJers.

To make the playoffs, you should win most of your series, not necessarily one game or another.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:11 PM

No, no … stats are great, especially if you are playing fantasy baseball.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I don’t believe in fantasies, they’re not predictable and often don’t occur.
        I do believe that having Moses and Jesus on your team is a good thing
        But to be clear, i can’t predict which game they will hit a homer in.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM

how do you go from one post to your current form of extremism….I didn’t see that extrapolation from any posts today NF

• sunshinebobby - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:59 PM

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I looked over the same schedule, NJ, and haven’t seen one we are supposed to lose. ;)
        I’m an optimist though.

Of course, i would never call one team better than another. I really don’t know why some teams win more than others.
        On another noteTake it easy, Crusty….We’re just havin fun.
        And watch out for Sharknadoes down there.

And here comes the LONJ (Legion of Nats Jack) to your rescue. I do not have a man crush on you. Maybe if I were more feminine ???

8. Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I’m pretty sure that this might we the weakest three arms at the same time in the outfield that the Nats have put up in years.

• jd - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:21 PM

You are probably right.

I think one of the tings that need to happen in the next little while is for Denard Span to revert to the player he was in the 2nd half of last year. That will go a long way toward helping our offense function until we get some of the walking wounded back.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Can Zimm play outfield….
      Oh yeah he has a bad arm too.

Denard is doing fine and will do better.
      What we need now is no more injuries.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:36 PM

You know what the scary thing is? Span probably has the strongest arm out of the 3 of them.

• jd - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Denard has a .281 OBP with zero power so no he’s not doing fine at all.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:40 PM

We got Denard knowing he doesn’t have power.
        I’m not worried at all about Span. He’ll be fine.

• texnat1 - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:19 PM

luckily the Astros can’t even reach the outfield. [rim-shot].

• adcwonk - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Yeah? Well, watch out, because their DH is batting . . . umm . . . .169? Really?

Wow. This is a case where playing a DH team is to our advantage. Holy cow!

9. David Proctor - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Span has swung it better than the numbers indicate. He hasn’t been rolling over everything to the right side, he’s had many lineouts or groundballs up the middle that the fielder gets to. If he sticks with that approach, the hits will drop. He has a .250 BABIP, which is 67 points below his career rate and 63 points below last year. He’s been pretty unlucky.

Also, I think Frandsen probably has the strongest arm in the OF, which is hysterical. I have been pretty impressed by his LF play though. Not exactly Lombo out there.

10. Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 29, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Good luck tonight, Nats… Beat the Astros…

Was kinda hoping to see Souza Jr in there but maybe tomorrow…

Go Nats!

11. Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The two long throws that Frandsen has had to throw in were both pretty weak. He has tracked the ball fine. When Span was out and Harper was in CF Kevin did go out of position to get a ball off the wall that was Harper’s to throw in. Not only should he not have cut Bryce off as it was the CFer’s play, but the throw was very Lombo-ish. That was really the only thing close to a real screw up that I’ve seen him do in the OF. His other ” long”throw was from medium left and he tried to throw home. It eventually reached the catcher on two bounces. Sorry. David, I disagree. Span doesn’t possess a plus arm, but it’s usually accurate, and is certainly stronger then Kevin’s, at least from what he has shown so far.

• Eugene in Oregon - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Let’s just hope that none of them has to make any significant throws.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Agreed, EiO

• letswin3 - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Zackly …. if no one is on third with less than 2 outs, I can live with a weak throw or two until we get better arms at the corner outfield spots. Let’s just hope that these guys (outfielders) can still get a few timely hits.

12. langleyclub - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I believe the Houston starter, Cosart, had a dominant spring training outing against the Nats. Something like 5 perfect innings with 8 strikeouts.

13. sunshinebobby - Apr 29, 2014 at 6:54 PM

The only time all season I don’t root for Bo.

14. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Catching up with the news, I see that: “Donald Sterling, the longtime owner of the Los Angeles Clippers, was barred from the N.B.A. for life and may be forced to sell the team…” (NYT).

Query: Does anyone know if Peter Angelos has a potentially angry mistress? Too much to hope?

• wearenationals - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM

hahahah We can only hope

• janebeard - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Eugene, that made me snort wine. Hilarious.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:56 PM

nope, just ex managers (announcers and GMs)

15. Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:13 PM

“Now I’m pretty sure they are going to win their share but until they actually play the games, I have no idea what the outcome will be.”

My game-by-game hopes for the team have mostly to do with how they’re faring overall, and how it sets them up going forward.

For instance, if we go 3-2 on this road trip, a sweep by the Dodgers would leave us right at .500. So, I feel going 3-2 is borderline critical, anything better than that is insurance; anything less than that makes wins against the Dodgers more critical, and my perception of these three teams is that the Dodgers are ultimately the better team.

I’m a little concerned because apparently we’ll see Lee and Burnett in Philly, Kershaw is due back I believe during the series starting Monday, and Greinke is pitching like an absolute ace. If we see those 4 guys, that’s four difficult to very difficult pitchers over the next eight games.

Even despite all of that, a win is a win is a win, so I don’t ultimately care which games we win, I just want to stay at or above .500, and I’m nervous about the outcome regardless of who the opponent is.

About the closest I get to feeling a game outcome is guaranteed is if a sweep or a streak is on the line…I feel all streaks of 5 games or above are due to end and that a sweep is almost certainly not going to happen.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Agree 100% except against the Braves anytime.
      or against the teams we may play in the Playoffs.

• Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Fair enough.

Also, staying at .500 or above is the low-bar goal until the return of Ramos, Fister, and, at the latest, Zim.

By the end of May I really hope that we are in the midst of a late 2013 type of run.

16. Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Wow, the timestamp salad has started earlier than usual…should make for fun posting tonight!

17. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Nats announcers ranked 27th out of 30. By the end of the year, I get tired of BC

27) Washington Nationals – 1.79
    -Bob Carpenter (play by play)
    -F.P. Santangelo (analyst)
    -Johnny Holliday (play by play – select)
    -Ray Knight (play by play – select)

Most popular grade: F (31% of voters)

Analysis: Washington was one of three teams (along with the Yankees and Braves) to receive at least 200 votes of each grade, though they received the second most F grades of any crew in the league. No one likes Bob Carpenter. A few people like F.P. Santangelo.

Reader Comments:

“Bob Carpenter may be the worst baseball announcer I have ever heard. [...] FP Santangelo is a good analyst, talks a little too much, but I truly believe he is covering for Carpenter.” -mikefromde

18. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Evening ladies and gents. Ggggggggggggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooooo!!!!!!

19. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Werth it

20. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I’m glad I didn’t expect Jason Werth to not hit a homerun. You really can’t predict anything you know
    and you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

21. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:23 PM

One day i will know where a post goes on this blog. however, I’ve looked at the posts and have not found one place where my posts will go…not one!

22. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I’ve looked at the Astros lineup and can’t find one player who should get a hit tonight…Not one!!!

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:26 PM

or a walk

23. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Time for McLouth to earn those dollars. He desperately needs to heat up.

24. Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Interesting. The Fish lead the Braves 5-0. There are no Uptons in the Atlanta lineup.

• Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Weird…

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:43 PM

8-0, that is. Woohoo.

25. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Gio’s fastball is on point tonight.

26. Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I highly recommend a casual stroll by the Fish / Braves game right about now:

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:48 PM

and the wiz up by 12

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:58 PM

make that down by 1

• janebeard - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Oooh! Thanks for that tip Eric!

27. nats128 - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Gio who bats .200 is being DH’d for. Sure Werth is the DH and McLouth playing RF is batting about 1/2 of Gio. Don’t see that often.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Gio also has a HR in Houston but who’s counting!

28. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Good stuff, Lobo

29. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:49 PM

What just happened there with Lobaton. Was that a poor secondary lead? That hurts.

30. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:53 PM

That stupid hill in center field….

31. davecydell - Apr 29, 2014 at 8:59 PM

FP: “any thing over 1st basebag not reviewable because camera distorting view…..”

Ha

32. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Nice play by Frandsen. He got there quickly.

33. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:09 PM

What the f? Frandsen!!!!!

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:11 PM

That had to have been luck.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Unfrigging real play by Frandsen!

34. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Frandsen with the behind the back grab

35. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:10 PM

How in the world did Frandsen do that behind the back?

36. Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:10 PM

OMG Frandsen! That was amazing!

GIO! Buckle down, you just got some MAJOR clutch D behind you!

37. unkyd59 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Mandrake, the Magician!!! Holy Crap!!!

38. Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:13 PM

What’s this about Frandsen’s bad arm? He seems to have some pepper to me…

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Agree.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:19 PM

He had no chance to make the play at the plate. The throw allowed the batter to get to 2nd. No damage as it turned out, but the throw should have gone to 2nd.

39. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Frandsen’s arm aint that bad.

• nats128 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:17 PM

The guy will do whatever you ask him to do. He has an accurate arm, not a strong arm. I would say average arm strength. Better than Hairston and Lombo.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:20 PM

No question it’s stronger than either of those two.

40. davecydell - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM

now is the time for the stiff shoulder

41. nats128 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Gio facing AAA hitters and falls behind them and thats frustrating to watch. Has a lead and blows it.

42. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Frandsen makes the top 10 with that snag

43. Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Frandsen had no chance to get the guy at the plate on the go ahead run.. No damage, but his throw should have gone to 2nd. He gets a pass though, for his earlier behind the back catch!

44. Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:21 PM

OK, Braves rocked by the Fish…

Take care of business Nats!

• nats128 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Any reason neither of the Uptons played?

• Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:35 PM

None that I’ve heard…

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Maybe they just conceded the game to Fernandez as Chris Johnson didn’t start either. Whatever Fredi’s strategy was, it didn’t work out so good.

• nats128 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Its like he was saving his righties from getting O’fer’d

45. scnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:22 PM

C’mon guys at some point the excuses have to stop and the wins have to start coming. Let it be tonight.

46. breakbad1 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:27 PM

After the Frandsen miracle catch, saving two runs, I got the feeling maybe the tide was turning, and this was the key moment.

Next batter singles, both runs score anyway, Frandsen’s catch means nothing.

Now it’s an overpowering feeling of futility and loss.

• nats128 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Frandsen’s catch means something. Gio didn’ take that momentum to his advantage. Thats why its frustrating.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM

5 innings of ball left. Relax, we got this.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I’m enjoying watching a fun ball game. No feelings of loss here.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:35 PM

yeah, the wizards are looking good (Frandsen and Span, I mean)

• Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

lol!

I’m enjoying it, although Gio’s stressing me out.

He does seem to be getting his curve over more and more as the game progresses…

47. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Some crazy plays tonight.

48. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Span gets a great jump and moves back on a ball faster than anyone i’ve seen

49. Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Great plays in the outfield, but this is getting scary…

50. secretwasianman - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I can’t believe how awful McClouth is. Is the Shark anywhere? With many starters out of the lineup Desmond needs to pick it up. A foul out and strike three looking is just not gonna do it.

51. secretwasianman - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:36 PM

At no place at no time should you be losing to the Astros.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Don’t you have some yard work to do?

52. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM

When the Giants come to town, what do you do with Morse’s song

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Sing as always

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:46 PM

2-0 the song remains the same

• secretwasianman - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Play the dang song. The Nats have stunk ever since Morse left.

• npb99 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I admit I miss Morse. He was a key player on two of the most uplifting Nats teams, the 2011 and 2012 versions. And from what I’ve read (sadly, I have no first hand knowledge), he was a free spirit who helped keep the others loose.

53. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Interestingly I was at the game Sunday. Taylor Jordan gave up 1 run in 4 innings and took a lot of heat Sunday . Gio has pitched much worse tonight. Not given nearly as much heat.

Who says history counts for nothing.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Can’t argue with that and this isn’t a great lineup he’s facing. I would say giving up 3 runs over a full 9 is just a decent start.

• secretwasianman - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Not against this team

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I need to preface that to say 3 runs over a full 9 to these guys is just a decent start.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:44 PM

On Sunday, We had the fever for more cowbell

54. secretwasianman - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Ok so the Shark plays for the Reds. He is batting .125 which is ten points better then McCout. Lol but he also makes 4.5 million Less then the Shark. Basic economics people.

• secretwasianman - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Sorry shark makes 4.5 less than Mcout

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I’ve checked Bernadina’s record and I can’t find one game where he should get a hit…not one!!!

55. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Captain Hook

56. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I just want LaRoche to bunt one down the 3rd base line. Need baserunners.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I just want Harp to bunt with 2 good thumbs and less than 2 strikes once

57. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Until LaRoche starts making the opposition pay for leaving the leftside open for free, they are going to make him hit into that shift.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Walk. LOL

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Sorry….wrong batter

58. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Time to run Desi.

59. breakbad1 - Apr 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Another game of turning pedestrian pitchers into Cy Young.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Cosart is the best pitcher on their staff. He plays for a lousy team in a hitters park. His 2.79 ERA on the road is excellent.

• nats128 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:05 PM

GoSM, yah, breakbad1 did his homework. If I remember, Cosart was a top prospect in the Phillies system when they traded him for some guy named Hunter Pence.

• BurnedOnce - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM

60. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Dez stayin sharp

61. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM

McLouth scores on a double. Frandsen could be the player of the game.

• nats128 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Why not. He deserves to be.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:08 PM

He could have been, but noooooOOOOOOoooooo.

62. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:04 PM

What a shock. Astro hitting with RISP better than Nats. Stros 2 for 4, Nats 0 for 5. In games where our RISP is low we rarely win.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Same w every other team in baseball.

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:12 PM

But seems we have more than our overall average would say we should. That is based on leading the league in left on base.

63. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Another bad habit. When we get a break on a bad call by the umps our hitting rarely follow up with a hit. When our pitchers get hosed on strike 3 there seems to be many more hits.

Our RISP now 0 for 6.

What is the deal with Frandsen? First week he was fine. Since then he is worse than Nate McOut.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM

no matter how I wish these injuries won’t hurt so much, Neither player is Bryce Harper

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM

They only have to be Bryce Harper for 6 weeks.

64. BurnedOnce - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Just got home from getting hot needles poked in my eyes. Thought I’d relax by watching the Nats blow out the Astros. But turns out it’s not as relaxing and fun as what I was doing before….

65. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:17 PM

So McLouth’s BA is about the same as his BABip..meaning we can’t expect much more out of him.
    A problem with BABip, I think ?

• Eugene in Oregon - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Huh?

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:26 PM

I’m questioning use of BABIP to make assumptions on batter’s potential.
        If possible, would be nice to account for how hard ball was hit in the statistic.

66. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Get some runs. Get Gio this win. Time to buck up against this bottom dweller.

67. David Proctor - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM

People will bash Gio, but really he gave up like 2 hard hit balls the entire night. He had a routine flyball turn into a double because of this stupid ballpark. If we can’t score 3 against the Astros, that’s the offense’s fault.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Pathetic

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Playing AL rules a disadvantage for us right now….no good choices for DH

68. scnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:19 PM

This is like losing to our AAA team. C’mon guys, you can do it.

69. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Sad part I only missed one inning as I had to go lock my church each night at 9. I have only seen the 1 hit by the Astro.

What was the deal with Gio in the third. The other 5 innings he pitched fine.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Frandsen saved his azz w a behind the back off the wall snag, keeping the runners at 2nd and 3rd, but Gio couldn’t deliver, giving up a single.

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Heard that on radio. Charlie and Dave said hard to describe.

Was out of the car during Springer’s at bat what was Gio’s problem with him.

70. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:25 PM

My theory is always you win one of two ways. Pitchers out pitch the other or hitters out score the other team. Just need one of the two. The only way you lose if neither happen.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:28 PM

What about when both pitchers pitch well but one offense takes better advantage of opportunities than the other.
      Hard to blame the pitcher for doing his job when somebody else didn’t do theirs ?

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM

It is hard. In this case nit hard at all. Nats led by 2 runs. Tied game maybe hard, but nit up by 2. The batters got you a more than 1 run lead. Giving up the lead is not doing your job.

Now losing 1-0 or 2-1 I blame batters. 3-2 can go either way, depending on the order of the runs.

Our hitters just need to get off their butts and score.

71. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Rendon must not like playing near his home. It might be his worse hitting game of the season so far.

• NatsLady - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:09 PM

LOL. Rendon’s gone 0-5 a couple of times…

72. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:36 PM

The Wiz to me is a mediocre team that are playing with more conviction.

Wish Nats would play with the same desire. Our pitching staff should be among the leagues best , but are not playing as good as one thinks they should.

73. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Good job Adam.

74. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Keep Moses and Jesus on your team!!

75. philipd763 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM

If we lose to the Astros tonight, that will be humiliating.

76. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM

77. Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM

This game-tying run brought to you by: a lack of conviction.

Go Nats?
    ;)

WOO!

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Still looking for a hit with RISP

78. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM

RISP………time to win this game…..LOL

79. Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Ahem! Nice rip by LaRoche to left center. Great base running by JW, too!

80. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I wonder what it was like going to MLB games with less than 500 fans or so. I heard the Browns would do it all the time in Sportsman Park that held 36000.

81. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Decent AB by Dez, so far

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Then k in the dirt.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Imagine Zimm and Harper instead of McLouth and Frandsen in the AL park.
      But like we shouldn’t expect to win any game (thanks NJ from Del Boca Vista, Phase III), I can’t expect Frandsen to lose here.

82. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:49 PM

A k on another ball.

0 for 7 RISP

83. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:50 PM

0 for 8 RISP.

MOST of them poor efforts.

84. Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Really, Desi?

85. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Frandsen with another shot to be hero….come o!

86. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Bunting with 2 outs and no one on third.

87. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Now a worthless 1 for 9 RISP

88. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Strange bunt with two outs and two on.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Almost like Frandsen deferred the pressure.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:58 PM

A risky play with two outs and no chance of scoring a run if executed.
        Must be getting situational bunting advice from Harper

89. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Wow…bunt base hit. Didnt see that coming.

90. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Used to be our best way to drive in runs…the wild pitch…maybe that’s why he bunted.

91. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

92. Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Sure… It was a nice bunt but pretty useless…

Congrats wiz kids… What a game and a series…

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:10 PM

He was entertaining his inner Harp to bunt in unlikely situations

93. Danny - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Man on 2nd 0 outs again and nothing smh..

94. Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Ouch…

95. Drew - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:58 PM

How do you take that 2-2 pitch with two outs and the bases loaded?

Swing away, Jose.

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Obviously bad identification of pitches.

96. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM

1 for 10 with RISP with a worthless bunt. Lobonton how much over the plate does the ball have to be to swing when you have 2 strikes and lead run on third?

Thank goodness Werth scored on LaRoche hit as the next three batters would have not scored him.

• scmargenau - Apr 30, 2014 at 12:37 AM

The odds of scoring with bases loaded vs first n second are much much higher. That wild pitch easily could have been a run.

97. Drew - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Clippard’s in — time to watch something else for 15 minutes.

98. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:00 PM

This game can only be complete w Clipp giving up the go ahead run.

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM

No doubt

99. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM

When are we gonna se that splitter again?

100. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Clip obviously didn’t get the message. No walks

101. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:04 PM

How can Werth be the Grandson of Dick Schofield and Nephew of Dick Schofield ?
    Is he his own grandpa too ?

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Easy. Dicky “ducky” schoelfid is first generation. His son Dick second generation. Dick the elder”s daughter is Jayson Werth’s mother. His mother is the sister of dick the younger.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Thank you MSN…I thought they were both duckys

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Now get Werth up

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Dick the elder played in 59s. Dick the younger is the one you know from hyena Angels played in the 70s

102. thecynicin408 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM

The ‘Stros (nee Colt 45’s) were my team for over 40 years before the Nats came to DC. I still pull for them versus anyone else. But this would be a painful loss; I really want the Nats to win both.

Lots of frustrating sequences tonight, but we’ve still got a chance here. Settle down and strand that runner, Clip.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:06 PM

i thought they were called the Disastros in the old days

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:07 PM

JR Richard…come on.

• thecynicin408 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:17 PM

They were a franchise that seemingly never got the breaks to go their way. When they got to the postseason on occasion, they lost in heartbreakers. Once I became a Nats fan and my weight was removed from their collective backs, the Killer B’s led them to the World Series.

Back in the early 60’s, I did the transistor under the pillow at night to listen to Joe Morgan, Jim Wynn, and our Louisiana favorite Rusty Staub battle, usually in a game, though futile effort.

• Eugene in Oregon - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Cynic – I was an Astros fan in the 1970s and 1980s. Even if those weren’t winning teams, they were a lot of fun to watch.

103. breakbad1 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Carpenter offers a tribute to the return of Clippard’s change up…then Clippard walks the batter.

Carpenter works in a tribute to, of all people, Chad Qualls, for his great performance against us. Qualls now elevated to the ranks of Koufax and Nolan Ryan.

Carpenter is just absolutely and relentlessly corporate.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM

FP going through every possibility with Span on 1st.

104. NatsLady - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:10 PM

NIce job, Clip!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM

That was. I could do without the walk but at least it wasn’t the kiss of death leadoff walk.

105. Eric - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Span’s batting average is exactly double McClouth, but McClouth has a higher OBP.

106. Eugene in Oregon - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:15 PM

A couple of thoughts on the issue (raised above) of Nate McLouth’s BABip and what it means:

In his MLB career, his BABip has been .271, .273, .299, .287, .281, .221, .270, .286, and .288. That averages out to .275, with a standard deviation of 22.4. This season, in 34ABs, his BABip is .111, which is more than six SDs off his mean. That’s not sustainable. Even if he repeats his worst BABip year — .221 — he’s going to bring his BA up once some of those balls in play turn into hits. Which they will.

I’m not suggesting that Mr. McLouth is a great hitter — or even a particularly good one — but you can’t read a whole lot in 34ABs and tremendously unlucky BABip.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM

ok, but doesn’t BA provide simiar conclusions. He will bat about .250 this year as per usual barring injury
      They could provide % of hard hit BAbip balls, I guess.

107. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:16 PM

That takes BALLS by Matty. I hate the way Span runs the bases. You have to slide to the back-end of the base on a throw like that. Almost got Span on his helmet. If that was a fastball instead of the curveball, he’s out.

108. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Quality out, but bad as this guy has been, I would expect more.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:19 PM

You are amazing. A guy gives you a great piece of oppo hitting and you wanted it in the outfield for a single. Sure, a single would have been icing on the cake but that might be the 1st productive infield out of the season.

109. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:17 PM

That was a great productive out by Rendon. That’s how it’s done people.

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Correct better than many outs

110. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:18 PM

1 for 11 RISP

111. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Let’s have a walkoff in the top of the ninth like in the last Jackie Robinson movie

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM

• Eugene in Oregon - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM

They give you a top-of-the-inning walk-off, you take it, right?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Top of the 9th walkoff. That’s impossible but OK.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM

you got to see the last Jackie Robinson movie to get that joke…
        It’s a good movie except for the impossibilities.
        But you can always dream….That’s what baseball is all about. Hope and Dreams for the young and fond memories for the old

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I did see it but don’t remember that……

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:33 PM

yeah he was on the road with Da Bums road uniform
        was it in Cincy ?
        when he hit the top of the 9th walkoff. Only in Hollywood.
        would have taken away the moment with the home team batting.
        Check it out…one of the biggest baseball movie blunders I’ve ever seen (besides Shoeless Joe Jackson coming out of a corn field with his shoes on in Field of Dreams)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM

That is funny. I will have to watch it again. Like you said, only in Hollywood and probably nobody even noticed.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM

except your keen eye.

112. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Oh oh…I think Jason wanted that pitch…foul language for Jesus

• manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM

I thought the empty stadium allowed the word to be heard

113. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Capn Caveman needs to deliver us into the promised land.

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Ok…Moses can do it.

114. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Lets see if Matty puts on that delayed steal with Werth to get Span home.

115. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM

LaWinner

116. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Adam’s times 2

2 for 12 RISP

117. Danny - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I don’t believe what I just saw

118. NatsLady - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Come on, Desi. Get an insurance run.

• NatsLady - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM

No, Desi! Not a double play. Grrrrrr.

All right, Rafi. Gotta be perfect again.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM

He can do a Lee Smith and walk three but get the next 3 Ks
        Perfectly imperfect

119. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Desi is worthless.

2 for 13 RISP

• veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM

We have the lead. Chill.

120. Danny - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM

That’s honestly a terrible effort.

• Danny - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Guy can’t find the plate all inning and he rolls over a curve..

121. Sec 3 My Sofa - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Tucking it up here, jefe.

• dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I’m in bed….hard to untuck now

122. thecynicin408 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Ok, now we get to see Soriano in a high leverage situation.

I haven’t seen whether the WaPost FancyStats piece was discussed here today, but my two cents is that the conclusion that Soriano has not been used effectively was overstated.

I always hold my breath when he pitches in a save situation, but he’s been very effective in 2014.

123. coop202 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:28 PM

it’s like some bizarro world where Laroche is our best hitter and Espi is the silver slugger infielder… but i’ll take tonight if we can hold for the win

124. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:29 PM

If RZim would bury them into the dirt to LaRoche like Desi does, all would be well. There isn’t a better Sh** scooper in the Majors than ALR. Just don’t overthrow on ALR as the guy can’t jump.

125. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I hated on Soriano early this year. He is proving me wrong. I like it.

• coop202 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM

TAKE IT BACK

126. Sec 3 My Sofa - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Ponche Soriano!

127. nats128 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:32 PM

I have to believe Livan has worked with Soriano on his breaking pitch. That 84 breaker has more tilt and lower velo.

128. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Get Storen up. This is not good. Soriano losing the zone.

• Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Oh, come on, Steve! That was a ton of fun!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Now it is. OMG, my old body can’t take this.

129. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM

How on earth do you suddenly throw 6 high when none were to the fist two batters.

130. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Just when I praise the guy, rightback to the same ol. Sheesh.

131. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Why does McCatty wit so long.

132. Drew - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM

For God’s sake!

You walk two guys to get their best hitter?

• stoatva - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Helps the “degree of difficulty” score.

133. Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Great pitch

134. manassasnatsfan - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM

McClout finally makes a play.

135. veejh - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM

McLouth MVP!

136. Section 222 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Untuck baby. We had ‘em all the way. :-)

137. waddueyeno - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM

phew

138. Ghost of Steve M. - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Are you kidding me! Another Houston heart thumper with a tough play in the outfield.

139. Sec 3 My Sofa - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Untucked!
    See.
    You.
    Tomorrow.

140. Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Never any doubt… Don’t think Jayson would have gotten that….

Good going Nats…. Good going…

141. Joe Seamhead - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Oh, you of little faith!

142. thecynicin408 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Vintage Soriano. No wonder bourbon and maalox is a libationof choice ’round here.

143. Mrsb loves the Nats - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Someone tweet to Kolko to ask Frandsen about the lucky catch…. I need a tweeter account… :-)

144. dcwx61 - Apr 29, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Fun game!
    Was that an untuckable save ?