May 7, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
The Nationals optioned Tyler Moore to Triple-A Syracuse after Wednesday’s win over the Dodgers, paving the way for Doug Fister’s season debut on Friday.
Moore was called up on April 6 when outfielder Scott Hairston landed on the disabled list with a left oblique strain. In 18 games Moore hit .200 with two home runs and three RBI.
Moore being sent down is a bit of a curious move, given other circumstances around the roster. He was the backup first baseman and could have possibly earned some playing time in the next few days.
Adam LaRoche is dealing with right quad soreness and has been removed late in several recent games. And with Ryan Zimmerman still on the DL, Moore’s absence leaves no true backup first baseman.
The likely option for the Nats would be Kevin Frandsen, who has played first only 44 times in his eight-year career, or Hairston who has never appeared in a MLB game at the position.
The move also leaves the Nationals with three catchers on their roster: Wilson Ramos, Jose Lobaton and Sandy Leon. Ramos did just come back from injury, however, and may be used as a designated hitter this weekend when the Nats play at Oakland in interleague play.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?
- Nationals play for NL East title tonight in Atlanta
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera