May 8, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Nationals pitching prospect Danny Rosenbaum had Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament on Thursday, a source told CSNwashington.com.
Rosenbaum, 26, will now begin a 12 to 18 month recovery process to return from the procedure. The lefty starter made four appearances this season with the Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs before suffering the injury.
Rosenbaum went 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA in those games with the Chiefs. The former 22nd round pick also appeared with the Nationals in major league spring training, going 0-1 with a 2.70 ERA in three outings.
The Nationals drafted Rosenbaum out of Xavier University in 2009. In six minor league seasons he holds a 3.12 ERA across 121 total games.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles
- Astros fire manager Bo Porter, who came from Nats
- Nationals promote 6 players in September call-ups
- State of the Nats: Nationals-Dodgers could be playoff preview
- Nats' numbers in August were off the charts
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1