May 8, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
Nationals pitching prospect Danny Rosenbaum had Tommy John surgery to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament on Thursday, a source told CSNwashington.com.
Rosenbaum, 26, will now begin a 12 to 18 month recovery process to return from the procedure. The lefty starter made four appearances this season with the Triple-A Syracuse Chiefs before suffering the injury.
Rosenbaum went 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA in those games with the Chiefs. The former 22nd round pick also appeared with the Nationals in major league spring training, going 0-1 with a 2.70 ERA in three outings.
The Nationals drafted Rosenbaum out of Xavier University in 2009. In six minor league seasons he holds a 3.12 ERA across 121 total games.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs