May 9, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Doug Fister’s long wait is finally over. The Nationals’ biggest offseason acquisition makes his debut at last tonight, taking the mound for their series opener against the Athletics. We’ve talked plenty already about what to expect from the 30-year-old right-hander, so we’ll focus on some other key points about tonight’s game in Oakland.
Such as the Nats’ lineup. It includes Adam LaRoche as designated hitter, an obvious concession to his ailing quad muscle. With Tyler Moore now back at Class AAA Syracuse, that leaves Kevin Frandsen as the starting first baseman tonight. We’ve already seen Frandsen contribute at third base and left field; now we’ll see how he handles first base.
The Athletics’ lineup features a couple of familiar faces to Nats fans: two guys who were part of the trade that brought Gio Gonzalez to D.C. Tommy Milone is on the mound, still seeking his first win of the season (not to mention trying to lower his 5.86 ERA). And his batterymate is Derek Norris, who is on fire at the plate, carrying a .377 batting average and .999 OPS into this game. And don’t forget Fernando Abad, currently a member of the A’s bullpen.
I’m not on this West Coast trip, but I’ll be watching with the rest of you and I’ll have some analysis in the morning. Enjoy the game…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at OAKLAND ATHLETICS
Where: O.co Coliseum
Gametime: 10:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Clear, 60 degrees, Wind 15 mph out to CF
CF Denard Span
3B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
DH Adam LaRoche
C Wilson Ramos
SS Ian Desmond
LF Scott Hairston
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Kevin Frandsen
(RHP Doug Fister)
SS Jed Lowrie
DH John Jaso
3B Josh Donaldson
1B Brandon Moss
LF Yoenis Cespedes
RF Josh Reddick
C Derek Norris
2B Eric Sogard
CF Craig Gentry
(LHP Tommy Milone)
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss