May 11, 2014, 9:19 AM EST
The Nationals will give first baseman Adam LaRoche some time off after an MRI revealed a strain in his right quad muscle.
According to the Nats, LaRoche will be placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday. It is likely Tyler Moore will return as the corresponding move. Moore was sent to Triple-A Syracuse on May 7 to make room for Wilson Ramos.
LaRoche has been dealing with tightness in his quad for several weeks now, but had remained in the lineup. Through the season’s first six weeks he has been the Nationals’ best offensive player, hitting .319 with five home runs and 21 RBI. LaRoche’s .925 OPS is best on the team.
Losing the veteran could be a big blow to the Nationals, no matter how long he is out. They are already missing Bryce Harper and Ryan Zimmerman, and Ramos just returned from the disabled list.
LaRoche was out of the Nats’ lineup on Saturday, as Matt Williams started Kevin Frandsen at first base against lefty Sonny Gray. LaRoche had previously played in seven consecutive games and recorded seven hits during that stretch.
Through 36 games this season the Nationals have already seen four members of their Opening Day lineup land on the disabled list.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?