May 11, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
The Nationals will give first baseman Adam LaRoche some time off after an MRI revealed a strain in his right quad muscle.
According to the Nats, LaRoche will be placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday. It is likely Tyler Moore will return as the corresponding move. Moore was sent to Triple-A Syracuse on May 7 to make room for Wilson Ramos.
LaRoche has been dealing with tightness in his quad for several weeks now, but had remained in the lineup. Through the season’s first six weeks he has been the Nationals’ best offensive player, hitting .319 with five home runs and 21 RBI. LaRoche’s .925 OPS is best on the team.
Losing the veteran could be a big blow to the Nationals, no matter how long he is out. They are already missing Bryce Harper and Ryan Zimmerman, and Ramos just returned from the disabled list.
LaRoche was out of the Nats’ lineup on Saturday, as Matt Williams started Kevin Frandsen at first base against lefty Sonny Gray. LaRoche had previously played in seven consecutive games and recorded seven hits during that stretch.
Through 36 games this season the Nationals have already seen four members of their Opening Day lineup land on the disabled list.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle