May 11, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
As we noted this morning, Nationals first baseman Adam LaRoche will do a 15-day stint on the disabled list after an MRI revealed a strain in his right quad. The Nats made the announcement officially on Sunday, and revealed Tyler Moore as the corresponding move.
Moore will now join the Nats from Triple-A Syracuse after spending just three days away from the team. He was sent down on May 7 to make room for Wilson Ramos.
The Nationals started Kevin Frandsen in LaRoche’s place on Saturday night in Oakland. The veteran bench player went 2-for-5 with a double and two RBI in the team’s 4-3 loss to the Athletics. Frandsen is hitting .273 with five runs and four RBI this season.
Moore rejoins the Nats with a .200 average on the year. He has struggled with inconsistent at-bats in 18 total games, but could get a more extended look at first base with LaRoche on the mend.
Losing LaRoche is another injury blow for the Nats who are already missing Bryce Harper and Ryan Zimmerman. LaRoche, in particular, had been playing as well as anyone on the Nationals. Through 32 games he holds a .319 average with a .925 OPS, five home runs and 21 RBI.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win