May 13, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
The Nationals certainly are capable of coming from behind to win games; they’ve already done it 11 times this season. Which means they’ve only taken a lead and held it through an entire game nine times.
In order to add to the total of the second category, they need to start scoring early runs and stop giving up early runs. So, it’s up to Stephen Strasburg tonight to take care of half of that equation. It’s been a recurring issue for Strasburg this year; he owns a 7.31 ERA in innings 1-2, a 1.44 ERA after that.
As for the scoring early runs part, it would certainly help if Denard Span enjoys another strong night at the plate like he did in the series opener in Arizona, when he went 3-for-4 and led the game off with a triple. And it would certainly help if Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa, Tyler Moore and Kevin Frandsen can deliver more clutch hits as they did during last night’s dramatic victory.
Enjoy the final late-night game of this road trip, and be sure to check back for analysis in the morning…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 9:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Clear, 85 degrees, Wind 16 mph in from RF
CF Denard Span
3B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
C Wilson Ramos
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Tyler Moore
LF Kevin Frandsen
RHP Stephen Strasburg
RF Gerardo Parra
3B Martin Prado
1B Paul Goldschmidt
C Miguel Montero
2B Aaron Hill
LF Cody Ross
CF A.J. Pollock
SS Chris Owings
RHP Bronson Arroyo
HP Jim Reynolds
1B Bill Miller (cc)
2B Vic Carrapazza
3B Adam Hamari
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list
- Royals host Giants in Game 1 of the 2014 World Series
- Sporting News names Mets pitcher NL Rookie of the Year
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche