May 14, 2014, 12:37 PM EST
A frustrating road trip for the Nationals ends today in Phoenix with a matinee against the Diamondbacks at Chase Field. The Nats got swept in Oakland and have split the first two games of this series, so even a win today would send them home only 2-4 on the trip. A loss would leave them 1-5, not to mention with a .500 record 40 games into the season.
All eyes will be on Doug Fister, who makes his second start of the season, hoping for significant improvement from his debut on Friday night. The key: Fister must keep the ball down in the zone, something he couldn’t do against the Athletics. This is especially true at Chase Field, a hitter’s park that only surrenders even more home runs when the roof is closed as it will be today.
The Nationals’ already-depleted lineup will be without Wilson Ramos, given the day game after the night game off. That leaves Ian Desmond hitting cleanup, with Danny Espinosa fifth and Tyler Moore sixth against Arizona right-hander Brandon McCarthy.
Enjoy the game, and be sure to check back as soon as it ends for some Instant Analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS
Where: Chase Field
Gametime: 3:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, 1580 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Roof closed
CF Denard Span
3B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Tyler Moore
C Jose Lobaton
LF Nate McLouth
RHP Doug Fister
RF Gerardo Parra
3B Martin Prado
1B Paul Goldschmidt
C Miguel Montero
2B Aaron Hill
LF Cody Ross
CF A.J. Pollock
SS Chris Owings
RHP Brandon McCarthy
HP Bill Miller (cc)
1B Vic Carrapazza
2B Adam Hamari
3B Jim Reynolds
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos