May 19, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
With Gio Gonzalez on the disabled list nursing his left shoulder, right-hander Blake Treinen will be called up to start for the Nationals in his place on Thursday in Pittsburgh. Manager Matt Williams made the announcement before Monday’s game.
Treinen, 25, is currently in Triple-A with the Syracuse Chiefs, having last pitched on Friday. Pitching Thursday will give him one extra day of rest before he joins the Nats for the third time this year.
“We’re gonna call up Blake Treinen and he’s going to take that spot,” Williams said. “He’s on schedule, he’ll get one extra day. It’s hard to deny him that opportunity with how he pitched against the Dodgers. It’s really hard. He was on a limited pitch count and he pitched really well against them.”
Treinen has appeared four times at the MLB level with the Nats this season, holding a 0.77 ERA across 11 2/3 innings. His one start came on May 6 against Los Angeles where he pitched five innings without allowing an earned run.
Treinen has pitched in six games with Syracuse, all of them starts. He holds a 1.96 ERA in Triple-A this season, allowing only five earned runs in 23 innings.
Gonzalez was placed on the disabled list Sunday, May 18. It is not clear whether Treinen will remain in the rotation after Thursday’s game.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies