May 19, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT
With Gio Gonzalez on the disabled list nursing his left shoulder, right-hander Blake Treinen will be called up to start for the Nationals in his place on Thursday in Pittsburgh. Manager Matt Williams made the announcement before Monday’s game.
Treinen, 25, is currently in Triple-A with the Syracuse Chiefs, having last pitched on Friday. Pitching Thursday will give him one extra day of rest before he joins the Nats for the third time this year.
“We’re gonna call up Blake Treinen and he’s going to take that spot,” Williams said. “He’s on schedule, he’ll get one extra day. It’s hard to deny him that opportunity with how he pitched against the Dodgers. It’s really hard. He was on a limited pitch count and he pitched really well against them.”
Treinen has appeared four times at the MLB level with the Nats this season, holding a 0.77 ERA across 11 2/3 innings. His one start came on May 6 against Los Angeles where he pitched five innings without allowing an earned run.
Treinen has pitched in six games with Syracuse, all of them starts. He holds a 1.96 ERA in Triple-A this season, allowing only five earned runs in 23 innings.
Gonzalez was placed on the disabled list Sunday, May 18. It is not clear whether Treinen will remain in the rotation after Thursday’s game.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder