May 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Needing a starter for Thursday’s game in Pittsburgh, the Nationals have called up right-hander Blake Treinen from Triple-A Syracuse and optioned reliever Ryan Mattheus back down to make room.
Treinen will now take Gio Gonzalez’ spot in the Nats’ rotation as the lefty serves a 15-day stint on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation.
“Ryan Mattheus, he’ll go back to Syracuse,” manager Matt Williams said. “He pitched really well, but we have to get Blake here to start.”
Treinen, a 25-year-old rookie, will join the Nationals for the third time this season. Through four appearances he holds a 0.77 ERA across 14 2/3 innings.
Treinen last appeared with the Nationals on May 6 in a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers. He made a spot start opposite former Cy Young-winner Clayton Kershaw, and pitched very well. The right-hander went five innings on a pitch count with zero earned runs and seven hits allowed.
Aside from his time with the Nats this season, Treinen has held a 1.96 ERA with Syracuse through six starts. He last pitched on May 16 and allowed two runs through 5 2/3 against the Toledo Mud Hens.
Mattheus leaves the Nats after his first stint with the team this year. He pitched four scoreless outings for a total of 5 2/3 innings.
Gonzalez will test his shoulder on Friday in Pittsburgh and from there hopefully have a timeline to return. It is not clear yet whether Treinen will remain in the rotation after starting on Thursday.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation
- Scherzer on mound as Nats face Cards
- Rendon unlikely for Opening Day after 2nd MRI