May 21, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
Needing a starter for Thursday’s game in Pittsburgh, the Nationals have called up right-hander Blake Treinen from Triple-A Syracuse and optioned reliever Ryan Mattheus back down to make room.
Treinen will now take Gio Gonzalez’ spot in the Nats’ rotation as the lefty serves a 15-day stint on the disabled list with shoulder inflammation.
“Ryan Mattheus, he’ll go back to Syracuse,” manager Matt Williams said. “He pitched really well, but we have to get Blake here to start.”
Treinen, a 25-year-old rookie, will join the Nationals for the third time this season. Through four appearances he holds a 0.77 ERA across 14 2/3 innings.
Treinen last appeared with the Nationals on May 6 in a game against the Los Angeles Dodgers. He made a spot start opposite former Cy Young-winner Clayton Kershaw, and pitched very well. The right-hander went five innings on a pitch count with zero earned runs and seven hits allowed.
Aside from his time with the Nats this season, Treinen has held a 1.96 ERA with Syracuse through six starts. He last pitched on May 16 and allowed two runs through 5 2/3 against the Toledo Mud Hens.
Mattheus leaves the Nats after his first stint with the team this year. He pitched four scoreless outings for a total of 5 2/3 innings.
Gonzalez will test his shoulder on Friday in Pittsburgh and from there hopefully have a timeline to return. It is not clear yet whether Treinen will remain in the rotation after starting on Thursday.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season