May 26, 2014, 5:33 PM EST
Moving through the seventh week of his recovery from a fractured right thumb, third baseman Ryan Zimmerman was cleared for baseball activities after the Nationals’ 3-2 loss to the Marlins on Monday.
Manager Matt Williams made the announcement, and though it represents excellent news for the 25-26 club, a timetable for his return still has not been determined.
“We don’t have a definite on that yet. But he’s taken the next step, which is good,” Williams said. “He’s clear to start swinging and throwing, so he’ll start that process. So all signs are good.”
Williams stopped short of describing exactly how healed Zimmerman’s fractured right thumb is, but the skipper was upbeat about the third baseman’s progress. He will now begin taking swings in the batting cage and hitting off a tee.
“We’re going to take it a little slow with the bat because vibration can certainly cause pain, let alone any further damage. But he’s been cleared to do that, which is good.”
Zimmerman played catch from 90 feet before Monday’s game and did not complain of any discomfort in the thumb. The 29-year-old has been out since fracturing the finger in an April 12 game against the Braves. The original diagnosis for recovery was four to six weeks.
Zimmerman’s timeline for a return will now depend on how his thumb responds to hitting and throwing.
“We’ll see how he does with that and progress from there,” Williams said.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera