May 26, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Moving through the seventh week of his recovery from a fractured right thumb, third baseman Ryan Zimmerman was cleared for baseball activities after the Nationals’ 3-2 loss to the Marlins on Monday.
Manager Matt Williams made the announcement, and though it represents excellent news for the 25-26 club, a timetable for his return still has not been determined.
“We don’t have a definite on that yet. But he’s taken the next step, which is good,” Williams said. “He’s clear to start swinging and throwing, so he’ll start that process. So all signs are good.”
Williams stopped short of describing exactly how healed Zimmerman’s fractured right thumb is, but the skipper was upbeat about the third baseman’s progress. He will now begin taking swings in the batting cage and hitting off a tee.
“We’re going to take it a little slow with the bat because vibration can certainly cause pain, let alone any further damage. But he’s been cleared to do that, which is good.”
Zimmerman played catch from 90 feet before Monday’s game and did not complain of any discomfort in the thumb. The 29-year-old has been out since fracturing the finger in an April 12 game against the Braves. The original diagnosis for recovery was four to six weeks.
Zimmerman’s timeline for a return will now depend on how his thumb responds to hitting and throwing.
“We’ll see how he does with that and progress from there,” Williams said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants