Instant analysis: Marlins 8, Nats 5 (10)

May 28, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT

AP AP

GAME IN A NUTSHELL: In the wake of Tuesday’s rainout, Matt Williams decided to alter his pitching rotation, bypassing rookie Blake Treinen and sticking with Jordan Zimmermann on normal rest. The move made sense, especially considering Zimmermann’s past struggles when pitching on extra rest, but then the right-hander took the mound and once again didn’t look himself.

Zimmermann lasted only five innings, allowing four runs (three earned) on eight hits and continuing a disturbing downward trend by the usually reliable starter. He departed with the Nationals trailing 4-0, but then Marlins right-hander Henderson Alvarez was pulled himself after five innings — in this case, due to elbow stiffness — and the entire script flipped.

The Nationals stormed back against the Miami bullpen, scoring three runs off Chris Hatcher in the sixth (with Nate McLouth’s 2-run double the big blow) and then tying the game in the seventh when Wilson Ramos crushed his first homer of the season off A.J. Ramos (no relation). Presented a golden opportunity to take the lead in the bottom of the eighth, though, the Nats loaded the bases with nobody out and managed not to score. They put the winning run on third base in the bottom of the ninth and again failed to score.

All those missed opportunities figured to come back to haunt the Nationals, and sure enough, they did. Jerry Blevins and Aaron Barrett combined to allow four runs in the top of the 10th, all but killing any chance of another dramatic comeback. The Nats thus lost for the sixth time in seven games and fell to two games below the .500 mark.

HITTING LOWLIGHT: After scratching and clawing their way back to tie the game, the Nationals gave themselves as good an opportunity to take the lead in the bottom of the eighth as you’ll ever get. Nate McLouth and Scott Hairston drew walks, and Denard Span beat out a bunt to load the bases with nobody out and the heart of the order up against lefty Mike Dunn. So what happened? Anthony Rendon, despite battling through a 10-pitch at-bat, struck out. Jayson Werth, who entered 4-for-5 with five walks and a 2.500 OPS in 10 career plate appearances vs. Dunn, popped out. And Adam LaRoche, despite fouling off three straight two-strike pitches, grounded out to first to end the inning in agonizing fashion. The Nats tonight went a stunning 1-for-7 with the bases loaded.

PITCHING LOWLIGHT: What’s going on with Zimmermann? Three weeks ago, he sported a 2.97 ERA. In four starts since, he has allowed 16 runs and 33 hits in 22 2/3 innings, leaving his season ERA at a whopping 4.07. It’s the first time the right-hander has allowed four or more runs in four consecutive starts since his rookie season in 2009. Zimmermann’s velocity has been right on target: His fastball is averaging 93.7 mph, almost identical to his average from the last three years. His command, on the other hand, hasn’t been as sharp as its been in the past. As a result, he’s giving up a whole lot more hits than he has in the past. Opponents are now hitting .308 vs. Zimmermann this season, compared to .246 from 2011-13. Cause for concern, or just a blip?

KEY STAT: Over his last 15 games, McLouth is hitting .333 with a .419 on-base percentage, raising his season batting average from .078 to .182. He has also stolen four bases in that time.

UP NEXT: After a day off, the Nationals open a weekend interleague series against the franchise that used to play in D.C. Too bad the Rangers won’t be wearing throwback Senators uniforms. It’s Stephen Strasburg vs. one-time Nats spring training invitee Colby Lewis in Friday’s 7:05 p.m. opener.

1. David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

This game is on Rendon, Werth and LaRoche. Especially Rendon and Werth. It has nothing to do with health. This game should never have got to the point where Blevins and Barrett blew up. And Barrett has mostly been great, but his inherited runner numbers are not great. It was putting him in a position to fail, though in extras with a righty up, you really don’t have many options. Maybe Stammen would have been the better choice, but you want to save him in case you need him to go long.

We’re 3 games back. The season’s not over. If you say it is, you know nothing about baseball. But clearly the level of play has to improve. This is unacceptable.

• texnat1 - May 28, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Yep. Although I would let ALR off the hook given that he needed a hit and had a good game overall.

I would also add Jordan to the list. Not exactly a stopper performance.

The season isn’t over by a long shot. But this has been a disaster of a week. They are going to have to do more than play better to make the playoffs because the schedule gets harder next month.

• Eric - May 28, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Agreed re: Jordan. He needs to get somewhere between here and his 2013 showing, stat.

• secretwasianman - May 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

What makes you think after 52 games that the season is not over? The team has a big enough sample size to show it is a middle of the pack team and that’s it. It is time to start moving people. I would start with Mr WERTh. He is an expensive so so player.

• manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM

As is most of the NL

• scmargenau - May 28, 2014 at 11:26 PM

He almost won a batting title LAST year. He’s not the issue

• micksback1 - May 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

the season is over in terms of playing in October, any good team does not lose a game like this. this team is over hyped and over rated, I will bet a year’s mortgage with anyone that these uninspiring collection of losers will not win even 85 games. the bottom of 8th inning is the face of this franchise and stooge MW!

• David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 11:01 PM

You declared the 2012 season over on July 21, when the Nationals blew a huge lead to the Braves. You said good teams don’t lose those games. Good teams lose all sorts of games. This team is not playing well right now, but the season’s not over. Baseball is a marathon. There’s 110 games left. We’re 3 back.

• Eric - May 28, 2014 at 11:04 PM

+1 DP.

FWIW, sometimes I think there’s a very thin line between making predictions and blowing off steam.

• wmlsays - May 28, 2014 at 11:08 PM

You said the same thing last year, Mr. Proctor. Maybe this year, you’ll be right. But let’s face it, this isn’t a very good team at the moment. They are poorly constructed, much like another team that took too long to realize that their architect was severely flawed.

• veejh - May 29, 2014 at 2:16 AM

1M% agree. Nuff said.

2. Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Good to see McLouth looking like the man that Rizzo wanted… Hopefully, he continues his hot streak…

Nats just aren’t playing good baseball right now… Jordan yet another shaky start…

Yeah, it’s baseball and all but goodness, something has to give…

• Eric - May 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Hope that shot to his ankle doesn’t put a damper on things for him….

3. Eugene in Oregon - May 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Pitiful. Just pitiful. No outs, bases loaded, no runs. Pitiful.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Jayson doesn’t normally swing at the first pitch,.. ANd he did there… I already hate first pitch swinging but that right there…

Our 2,3,4 seemingly haven’t been living up to the hype…

• manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Actually it was the second pitch. The first one almost hit him in the knees and I was thinking stand still and take one for the ream, but he backed up enough.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I missed the first pitch, then…. Thanks… But even so still… Werth had to make contact right there. And well, yeah.

• secretwasianman - May 28, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Well said.

• David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Yup.

4. Eric - May 28, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Well, we’re in the same place we were this morning….so there’s that.

I agree David Proctor: can’t blame this one on health. Even after tying it up, we had multiple chances with the right people at the plate and…nada.

• Nats Amore - May 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Not exactly in the same place. Now 2 behind the Marlins and just 1 ahead of the Mets. However, I do agree with what you are probably implying, which is that the Marlins middle relief may not be good enough to keep them where they are in the standings, exhibit A being tonight.

• Nats Amore - May 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Meant 2.5 back of Marlins.

• Eric - May 28, 2014 at 11:07 PM

All I meant was, we’re still 3 games out of the only ranking that guarantees us anything.

• wmlsays - May 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM

We may be in fourth place by the start of next week. This team isn’t very good right now, has little depth and little to no chemistry. I don’t know if it’s the coaching or whatever. Injuries are excuses and let’s face it, the Nats are better at making excuses than winning games.

• Eric - May 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM

While I would by no means welcome 4th place, when 4 games separate 4th and 1st its not nearly as bad as being 10 back in 2nd or 3rd place.

5. micksback1 - May 28, 2014 at 11:01 PM

MW sounds like Norv Turner, man is he over his head

• Ghost of Steve M. - May 28, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I really hope he is a different guy behind closed doors. His Pressers remind me of Manny Acta.

6. micksback1 - May 28, 2014 at 11:03 PM

David, what has changed since the 2013 season?

• David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 11:08 PM

In the second half of 2013 when we were healthy, we were great. The problem is we fell way back. This year, the Braves are scuffling. We’re not 10 back, we’re 3 back. 3 back with 110 games to play. When we get healthy, we’ll probably go in a run, like we did last year.

Health has nothing to do with this game, but it has a lot to do with the overall state of the team.

• wmlsays - May 28, 2014 at 11:14 PM

It’s a good thing that only the Marlins are better than the Nats at the moment. Heck, it looks like they got passed by a year earlier than people thought they would be. The team, as constructed, seems flawed and at this point, when healthy, it probably may limp into the playoffs and lose to real teams. Which, at the moment, the Nats are definitely not. But time will tell. Who knows. They may really just be a victim of injuries. Or they may be, as some people fear, just a decent team overhyped by a GM who doesn’t know anything better.

• David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM

I will bet you anything you want the Marlins aren’t contenders at the end of the year.

• wmlsays - May 28, 2014 at 11:18 PM

We’ll see. Hopefully you’re right, but at this point, there are a lot better teams out there than the overhyped, oft injured Nats.

• raleighnatsfan - May 29, 2014 at 12:38 AM

… and Henderson Alvarez left abruptly in the 5th with elbow tightness he reportedly said was tight throughout the game. Marlin’s rotation might be getting even thinner.

7. manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Batters 2 and 3 were awful. Then in the 10 in low stress they come through.

RISP Which is our achilles heel 2 for 11 15 LOB. Marlins 7 for 13.

I wish our hitters would swing a little less hard, but they just aren’t interested in just a single, They play like they must homer. To me bad approach preparation by the hitting coach. Many believe hitting coach is unimportant. If that is true why bother have 1. Seems silky waste of money.

Was going to brag on bullpen, but Blevins who did damage and Burnette who threw kerosene on the inning, will defer that comment for another day.

Though I asked and saw no answer. Well at least going into the game we had the best bullpen in the majors. Why are we now 1-5 in extra innings. Seems the ream with best bullpen should win these.

• David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 11:10 PM

The bullpen has kept us in games. They gave us a chance to win today. They pitched 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th before things blew up. You can only ask so much. Problem is the offense isn’t taking advantage of the chances the bullpen is giving. Same for games against Padres and Reds. Bullpen did all you can ask, but eventually they’re going to give up runs.

• Eric - May 28, 2014 at 11:13 PM

At the risk of seeming like a sycophant, +1 again. This one’s on Zinn and the heart of our order more than anyone else.

• manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Bullpen players 1-4 did great 5 and stunk up the joint. One guys screwing I can see, but 2 in the same game I was not prepared for.

Our bullpen doesn’t screw up much, but when they do screw up they do it well.

3 back with this much time is not bad, but we must fix the problems if we expect to be better. The hitting with RISP is simply not improving. This lack of effective execution is not pleasing to me. I would see a change in results.

I wish it was as untasteful to them. They are the ones that can fix. Not any of us. Only them. Once they fix it we will. If they don’t fix it we will lose. They are the ones that will determine it. If it was me deciding it, it would have been solved long ago.

All we can do is suffer til they fix it.

• Eric - May 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I often feel that you truly believe hitting g is much easier than it is; however, I agree 100% that in situations where a single w/bases loaded changes everything, too many of our guys insist on trying to go yard. I think Ramos and Zim are best at keeping it simple in those situations…wish it would spread.

• Eric - May 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM

That first line was to mnf, not DP.

• manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I agree. Why do we always seem to go for homers when a single will do?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:13 PM

It shod have never gotten to Blevins… Or Barnett… I mean I guess that’s just the way I’m looking at it…

• Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM

should*

• manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Correct it should not have, but once there, those guys have to execute.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I get what you saying… And clearly I meant Barrett.. Hahahaha….

If Nats didnt have honest opportunities to break that thing open innings ago, then yeah I would be talking about the BP… BUt tonight, they held them and when the Nats had it going, they crapped the bed.

• pchuck69 - May 28, 2014 at 11:50 PM

>>Batters 2 and 3 were awful. Then in the 10 in low stress they come through.

The pressure was off. When you’re mentally weak, it’s easy to come through when it doesn’t matter.

8. npb99 - May 28, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I´m amazed at how often the Nats pop up. Overall, it´s the least productive type of out, and it sure seems the Nats do a lot of it.

I think Rendon is the future of this franchise but he is not deserving the no. 2 spot in the order the last weeks. I’d put McClouth there while he is hot.

• wmlsays - May 28, 2014 at 11:22 PM

I thought Harper and Strasburg was the future of the franchise? They were Rizzo’s picks, after all. Yeah, everybody would have picked them that high in the draft too. While it is still early in their career, the returns have not measured up to expectations. Not even close.

• David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Rendon was Rizzo’s pick, too. Bryce Harper has done all you could ask for and more. You have awful expectations if he’s disappointed you. Stras has been a bit of a disappointment, I’ll grant. But he’s not exactly a bust either.

• npb99 - May 28, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Forgive my use of the “future of the franchise” cliché. I just meant Rendon is a promising young player, but right now he’s not getting it done in the 2 spot.

• NatsLady - May 29, 2014 at 12:09 AM

This made me laugh. Not at you, but just in general. Yesterday, people were recommending DFA for “McOUT,” today it’s “bat him No. 2″.

Also, anyone who gives up on a season less than 1/3 in and not the Astros or Cubs deserves to be an Astros or Cubs fan. There is a LONG way to go. Yes, we have lost 6 of 7. So have the Detroit Tigers. No team in this division is running away with it.

Why do people want to declare the season over just because the Nats aren’t 15 games above .500 and with a 7 game lead by Memorial Day. Enjoy the battles. Enjoy the ups and downs. That’s what it’s about, not just sailing to the postseason wire-to-wire. I was asking for unexpected heroes, and today we got McLouth. That’s fun, to me. I want to see if Rendon can work his way out of the slump. I want to see if MW can find his footing as a manager. And a dozen other things I’ll be watching along the road.

Meanwhile, I give you MY MAN CLIPP, who had the good sense to walk Stanton. ;)

• Eric - May 29, 2014 at 12:13 AM

+1000, love this post. There were some stretches of excellent baseball entertainment tonight.

• therealjohnc - May 29, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Oh, it’s much more fun to carp on the sidelines than to be the man in the arena. But as Theodore Roosevelt famously noted:

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

I was at the game last night. It was a smallish crowd – not surprising given the circumstances (Spring weeknight game, not a marquee opponent, lousy weather forecast) – but we were feisty. I have my eyes open about the current shortcomings of the team, but for myself will continue to acknowledge their striving and to root for them with great enthusiasm.

9. Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Idk if I want to see Frandsen at 2nd anymore… Sorry…

• David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Frandsen cost JZimm 2 runs. Easy to forget since we tied it, but he was awful today.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I didn’t forget… I mean this was just a complete breakdown on both sides of the ball… The Nats aren’t playing like a good team at all… I can understand people saying they are a bad team given their play, although I don’t think they are this bad…

but Frandsen didnt play 2nd base or 3rd base (IMO) the times he has played those spots…

• David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 11:24 PM

The Nats are a bad team right now. I don’t dispute that. I do not think they will continue to be a bad team.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I don’t either… There are in a bad place right now… Something has to give…

Oh well, time to focus on the Rangers…

• therealjohnc - May 29, 2014 at 9:46 AM

The Nats defense also made some nice plays last night. Ramos on the foul popup and also the pickoff. Rendon at third. Span with a diving catch in CF. McLouth dekeing the Marlins in the 10th to initially hold them to one run on a ball that should have scored two, holding the batter to one of the louder singles that I’ve ever seen.

• NatsLady - May 29, 2014 at 12:10 AM

I told everyone here you would be sorry for not playing Danny. Just play him and let the other guys cover offense. Other teams do that all the time. Teams that win pennants.

• David Proctor - May 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I’m with you. We can’t afford to give up free runs with poor defense the way the offense is going. Espi is one of our only truly good defenders at this point.

• veejh - May 29, 2014 at 2:26 AM

Werth is to blame for that noodle toss. Frandsen is the victim.

• scmargenau - May 29, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Espi is still negative uzr. Over time Frandsen is
        A much better play. Espi is a Milb at best…he has hurt this team more than any 2 players combined and more then either managers bad decision.

And DP stop saying Bryce is all that and more. He’s average and always hurt. I don’t care about history of 18-20 year olds… He’s no trout.

10. jac52683 - May 28, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Get a 5 gallon tank of gasoline because the Nats excuse machine is getting turned on. Zimmermann has already informed us that the luck isn’t on his side, Werth has said that they are playing great ball, but just not getting the bounces, and LaRoche has credited great pitching as the reason for the Nats offensive shortcomings. Stay tuned foks.

11. karlkolchak - May 28, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Not declaring the season over as that would be silly–BUT, we sure are seeing a lot of the same crap that sank last year’s squad, and I see about the same sense of urgency about it I did last year at this time–none.

• wmlsays - May 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I don’t think you can expect a truck without wheels to have any urgency at all.

12. Ghost of Steve M. - May 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM

1 win in 6 extra inning games. If that doesn’t sum up things except tonight Matty didn’t do anything wrong tonight. These guys have to execute.

• manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:39 PM

McHit did a great job.

13. npb99 - May 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Talk about not carrying a team: Werth has 1 RBI in his last 10 games.

• manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:39 PM

When you are batting third that is a super big problem.

14. David Proctor - May 28, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Stealing from someone on FBB:

Roughly 30 percent of the last 60 division winners (over the last 10 years) were at or worse than where the Nationals are now in terms of games behind the current division leader.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I’ve a few dodgers fans as friends… As they follow the Nats as the local team and they’ve all said they are reminded of the dodgers play last year with how the Nats are doing….

I of course, am like stop it… And they keep repeating, too much baseball left and only back 3/4 games, when the Nats go on a run, and they will, people will forget about this bad time….

• wmlsays - May 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM

You are forever optimistic, which is a good thing. You said this last year too, unfortunately.

• npb99 - May 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Hey, that works for me, if we have a 53-13 run ahead of us like the Dodgers last year.

Of course the Nats can turn it around, but every week they don’t makes for a steeper winning percentage that’s needed from here on out. Figure you need at least 90 to make the playoffs (my guesstimate). Nats need to go 65-45 from now on to get to 90 wins. That’s .591 winning percentage. The longer they stay at .500 or below, the steeper that percentage gets.

• therealjohnc - May 29, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Last year the optimists said that the team could still turn it around … and they didn’t until it was too late.

Two years ago the pessimists said that the team was flawed and doomed, and would surely collapse. And they didn’t.

Perhaps 2014 is neither 2013 nor 2012, and the story has yet to be written. I can see plausible scenarios for this team winning 90+ games or losing 90+ games. Instead of trying to be first to proclaim the story of this season, maybe we could try to watch the story unfold.

• scmargenau - May 29, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Meaningless comment. We are lucky to be only 3 games back. 30 percent sounds about relight, but them real problem is HOW we are playing, pitching and managing. It’s embarrassing.

15. wmlsays - May 28, 2014 at 11:33 PM

When will Rizzo be held accountable for this mess? Yeah, I’ve been harping on him. Let’s face it, though. His teams are injury prone. Or gaffe prone. Or badly managed. Or some other excuse that always absolves him from the truth. The team he build isn’t what people thought it would be. They’re just okay and at the moment, bordering on terrible. At some point, Rizzo needs to reassess what he’s done. For surely, a championship is not within the grasp of this collection.

• manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Took 17 years to get rid of George McPhee

16. rmoore446 - May 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM

I may be a Pollyanna but I saw some hopeful signs tonight. The boys didn’t roll over, they battled back The bottom of the order is showing some life, Even Espi, bless him, worked a nice walk. And Ramos signaled his return. Did they faiil to punch across the winning run? Yes, sadly. But they still showed some spark and I am encouraged.

• wmlsays - May 28, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Hopefully, they’re not like a decapitated snake that is still wiggling around after it’s dead.

17. manassasnatsfan - May 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM

BTW any word on why Alverez left game?

• Eric - May 29, 2014 at 12:05 AM

“Elbow stiffness” cited in the article we’re commenting on.

18. Mrsb loves the Nats - May 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Whelp, tomorrow is an off day… Nats need a break, and so do we…. *sigh*

19. NatsLady - May 29, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Replay is really messing with games. I am SO tired of seeing managers run out, chat with the ump, get the signal from the dugout… yada yada… I hope they do something about this or baseball will turn into football.

• Section 222 - May 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Really? There was hardly any delay at all tonight. I’ll take those silly visits and chats as a trade off for getting the calls right any day of the week. Weren’t you getting tired of blown calls deciding ball games in years past?

20. Section 222 - May 29, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Back from the game. I thought about checking out the game post, but with the MNF Index up to 22.7% I think I’ll pass.

After such a great (and, frankly, unexpected) comeback, this was a painful game to lose. So many chances, and to see my boy Rendon not come through when it counted– twice — that hurt. MW played the matchup game well — he got Hairston an AB against a lefty, and Dobbs against a rightie. He had the bullpen lined up for Blevins to take the 10th, Barrett the 11th, and Stammen to be the pitch till you drop guy, if necessary. But Blevins faltered and the Marlins were able to convert the bases loaded with one out into four runs while we could score a single one with the bases loaded and none out. The comparison really drove home the Nats’ futility.

Saw MW’s postgamer. I don’t expect him to call out his players, but I hope he doesn’t really believe that it was a fine aggressive play for Ramos to try to stretch his hit to a double in the 9th. He has to know that Stanton has a great arm, and more importantly, he has not know that he, Wilson Ramos, is SLOW. Know your own limitations Buffalo, and know game situation. You got a leadoff hit in the bottom of the 9th. Don’t squander that with a reckless effort against Stanton’s cannon. If he had settled for a single, we may very well have won that game.

Finally, I can’t help but note, we had another 1-2-3- inning from Soriano. As someone tweeted, “half of Natstown will pretend it never happened,” but it’s in the books. FP and Ray take note.

• NatsLady - May 29, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Not only is Wilson slow, but every time he tries to put on the accelerator, I worry about his legs.

I saw that Soriano was on the cover of the program I got on Monday. So maybe people will start to appreciate him. Yeah, he doesn’t do all that stuff Kimbrel does, leaning in and glaring, and throwing 97. But he gets ‘em out.

• scmargenau - May 29, 2014 at 8:20 AM

MNF was actually pretty funny in game thread, which was a good thread till the 10tn- when we all wanted to cringe

21. NatsLady - May 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM

ANNNNNND, the A’s just walked off the Tigers. Tigers must be a terrible team, Miggy got tagged out at second base.

22. veejh - May 29, 2014 at 2:24 AM

Werth needs a roasting. That b.s.toss to Frandsen resulted in the Marlins 4th run. Had that not happened, and a plethora of terrible ABs, maybe we might have won. He’s suppose to lead by example, and right now, it’s pathetic. Come on, we should have won that.

Side note…..JZimms “fair market value” is dropping like a rock.

I will officially shelf “McOut” after that night. Thank God he’s coming around.

Rendon really blew that, too. Just a sac fly, that’s it. Is that too kuch to ask? Pretty good AB besides the horrible K pitch that he swung at. PATHETIC

• veejh - May 29, 2014 at 2:37 AM

No need to blame Blevins and Barrett, the game should have been won in 9. Our BP is ridiculous this year.

23. natsfan24 - May 29, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Span only has 13 walks with 20 strike outs. Not exactly the lead off hitter Rizzo was hoping for…