Jun 3, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Nationals lefty Gio Gonzalez will make a minor league rehab appearance on Friday in Woodbridge, Va. with the Single-A Potomac Nationals, manager Matt Williams announced on Tuesday.
Gonzalez is expected to throw 65 pitches for the P-Nats as he works his way back from left shoulder inflammation. Gonzalez was placed on the 15-day disabled list on May 18 after feeling discomfort in his start the day before against the Mets.
“Even at 65 we’re still pushing him, it’s fairly quick,” Williams said. “He hasn’t gotten to 100 yet. How does he feel after coming out of that, we’ll make the decision from there.”
Gonzalez threw a simulated game of 50 pitches on Sunday and felt no pain in his shoulder. After starting with Potomac, he should be ready to join the Nationals’ rotation around or on June 11 when the Nationals are in San Francisco facing the Giants.
Gonzalez holds a 4.62 ERA through nine starts this season with the Nationals.
Blake Treinen threw a simulated game of three innings before Tuesday’s game against the Phillies. Treinen threw 45 pitches and is on track to start on June 7 against the Padres in San Diego.
“He threw 45 pitches today, three simulated innings, just to make sure we’re getting him ready for his next start,” Williams said. “His next start will be the 7th. He’ll be ready for that one.”
Bryce Harper is about a month away from returning, Williams said. The outfielder has not been cleared to resume baseball activities and is currently lifting weights and running to stay in shape.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series