Jun 3, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Nationals lefty Gio Gonzalez will make a minor league rehab appearance on Friday in Woodbridge, Va. with the Single-A Potomac Nationals, manager Matt Williams announced on Tuesday.
Gonzalez is expected to throw 65 pitches for the P-Nats as he works his way back from left shoulder inflammation. Gonzalez was placed on the 15-day disabled list on May 18 after feeling discomfort in his start the day before against the Mets.
“Even at 65 we’re still pushing him, it’s fairly quick,” Williams said. “He hasn’t gotten to 100 yet. How does he feel after coming out of that, we’ll make the decision from there.”
Gonzalez threw a simulated game of 50 pitches on Sunday and felt no pain in his shoulder. After starting with Potomac, he should be ready to join the Nationals’ rotation around or on June 11 when the Nationals are in San Francisco facing the Giants.
Gonzalez holds a 4.62 ERA through nine starts this season with the Nationals.
Blake Treinen threw a simulated game of three innings before Tuesday’s game against the Phillies. Treinen threw 45 pitches and is on track to start on June 7 against the Padres in San Diego.
“He threw 45 pitches today, three simulated innings, just to make sure we’re getting him ready for his next start,” Williams said. “His next start will be the 7th. He’ll be ready for that one.”
Bryce Harper is about a month away from returning, Williams said. The outfielder has not been cleared to resume baseball activities and is currently lifting weights and running to stay in shape.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder