Jun 3, 2014, 5:42 PM EST
Nationals lefty Gio Gonzalez will make a minor league rehab appearance on Friday in Woodbridge, Va. with the Single-A Potomac Nationals, manager Matt Williams announced on Tuesday.
Gonzalez is expected to throw 65 pitches for the P-Nats as he works his way back from left shoulder inflammation. Gonzalez was placed on the 15-day disabled list on May 18 after feeling discomfort in his start the day before against the Mets.
“Even at 65 we’re still pushing him, it’s fairly quick,” Williams said. “He hasn’t gotten to 100 yet. How does he feel after coming out of that, we’ll make the decision from there.”
Gonzalez threw a simulated game of 50 pitches on Sunday and felt no pain in his shoulder. After starting with Potomac, he should be ready to join the Nationals’ rotation around or on June 11 when the Nationals are in San Francisco facing the Giants.
Gonzalez holds a 4.62 ERA through nine starts this season with the Nationals.
Blake Treinen threw a simulated game of three innings before Tuesday’s game against the Phillies. Treinen threw 45 pitches and is on track to start on June 7 against the Padres in San Diego.
“He threw 45 pitches today, three simulated innings, just to make sure we’re getting him ready for his next start,” Williams said. “His next start will be the 7th. He’ll be ready for that one.”
Bryce Harper is about a month away from returning, Williams said. The outfielder has not been cleared to resume baseball activities and is currently lifting weights and running to stay in shape.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats