Jun 3, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
The Nationals activated Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday and optioned Tyler Moore to Triple-A Syracuse as the corresponding move.
Zimmerman is in the starting lineup at left field as the Nats take on the Philadelphia Phillies in the first of a three-game series. Once a Gold Glove third baseman, Zimmerman will be playing in the outfield for the first time in his MLB career.
Zimmerman joins the Nationals after four rehab appearances with Single-A Potomac. He has been out since April 12 when he fractured his right thumb while sliding into second base in a game against the Braves.
Zimmerman went 5-for-14 with the P-Nats with a double and three RBI. He played the first game at designated hitter, then three games in left field. He played nine innings in his final tune-up on Monday night.
Zimmerman missed 44 games after playing just 10 to start the season. He rejoins the Nationals with a .354 average, two home runs and six RBI on the year.
Moore, 27, leaves the Nationals with a .214 average through 34 games. He was called up for his latest stint on May 11 to replace first baseman Adam LaRoche.
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4
- Nationals try to overcome pinch-hitting woes