Jun 3, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
The Nationals activated Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday and optioned Tyler Moore to Triple-A Syracuse as the corresponding move.
Zimmerman is in the starting lineup at left field as the Nats take on the Philadelphia Phillies in the first of a three-game series. Once a Gold Glove third baseman, Zimmerman will be playing in the outfield for the first time in his MLB career.
Zimmerman joins the Nationals after four rehab appearances with Single-A Potomac. He has been out since April 12 when he fractured his right thumb while sliding into second base in a game against the Braves.
Zimmerman went 5-for-14 with the P-Nats with a double and three RBI. He played the first game at designated hitter, then three games in left field. He played nine innings in his final tune-up on Monday night.
Zimmerman missed 44 games after playing just 10 to start the season. He rejoins the Nationals with a .354 average, two home runs and six RBI on the year.
Moore, 27, leaves the Nationals with a .214 average through 34 games. He was called up for his latest stint on May 11 to replace first baseman Adam LaRoche.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs