Jun 3, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
The Nationals activated Ryan Zimmerman from the 15-day disabled list on Tuesday and optioned Tyler Moore to Triple-A Syracuse as the corresponding move.
Zimmerman is in the starting lineup at left field as the Nats take on the Philadelphia Phillies in the first of a three-game series. Once a Gold Glove third baseman, Zimmerman will be playing in the outfield for the first time in his MLB career.
Zimmerman joins the Nationals after four rehab appearances with Single-A Potomac. He has been out since April 12 when he fractured his right thumb while sliding into second base in a game against the Braves.
Zimmerman went 5-for-14 with the P-Nats with a double and three RBI. He played the first game at designated hitter, then three games in left field. He played nine innings in his final tune-up on Monday night.
Zimmerman missed 44 games after playing just 10 to start the season. He rejoins the Nationals with a .354 average, two home runs and six RBI on the year.
Moore, 27, leaves the Nationals with a .214 average through 34 games. He was called up for his latest stint on May 11 to replace first baseman Adam LaRoche.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giants surge past Royals 11-4 to tie Series 2-all
- Nationals Arizona Fall League update
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nationals roster review: Kevin Frandsen
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest