Jun 4, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
This week on ‘Baseball in the District’ Tim Murray of ESPN 980 and I welcomed a very special guest in John Manuel of Baseball America. Manuel is one of the premier MLB Draft experts out there and has an encyclopedic knowledge of draft prospects. On Thursday night he will be on MLB Network’s draft broadcast and has one of the most respected mock drafts in the business.
Manuel talked about what he expects from the Nationals in this week’s draft as well as who are the prospects most likely to go early in the first round. He was also great on the process of evaluating players and the Nationals’ reputation around the league for finding talent.
Before Manuel came on, Tim and I went over the Nationals’ recent draft history, both the good and the bad. We also talked briefly about Ryan Zimmerman playing in left field off the top of the show.
After Manuel we discussed the Nationals’ long-term positional needs and Michael Morse’s recent comments about Stephen Strasburg being shut down in 2012.
Check it out right here:
You can also listen to the show on ESPN 980’s website or download it on iTunes.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice