Jun 4, 2014, 11:39 AM EST
This week on ‘Baseball in the District’ Tim Murray of ESPN 980 and I welcomed a very special guest in John Manuel of Baseball America. Manuel is one of the premier MLB Draft experts out there and has an encyclopedic knowledge of draft prospects. On Thursday night he will be on MLB Network’s draft broadcast and has one of the most respected mock drafts in the business.
Manuel talked about what he expects from the Nationals in this week’s draft as well as who are the prospects most likely to go early in the first round. He was also great on the process of evaluating players and the Nationals’ reputation around the league for finding talent.
Before Manuel came on, Tim and I went over the Nationals’ recent draft history, both the good and the bad. We also talked briefly about Ryan Zimmerman playing in left field off the top of the show.
After Manuel we discussed the Nationals’ long-term positional needs and Michael Morse’s recent comments about Stephen Strasburg being shut down in 2012.
Check it out right here:
You can also listen to the show on ESPN 980’s website or download it on iTunes.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park