Jun 4, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
This week on ‘Baseball in the District’ Tim Murray of ESPN 980 and I welcomed a very special guest in John Manuel of Baseball America. Manuel is one of the premier MLB Draft experts out there and has an encyclopedic knowledge of draft prospects. On Thursday night he will be on MLB Network’s draft broadcast and has one of the most respected mock drafts in the business.
Manuel talked about what he expects from the Nationals in this week’s draft as well as who are the prospects most likely to go early in the first round. He was also great on the process of evaluating players and the Nationals’ reputation around the league for finding talent.
Before Manuel came on, Tim and I went over the Nationals’ recent draft history, both the good and the bad. We also talked briefly about Ryan Zimmerman playing in left field off the top of the show.
After Manuel we discussed the Nationals’ long-term positional needs and Michael Morse’s recent comments about Stephen Strasburg being shut down in 2012.
Check it out right here:
You can also listen to the show on ESPN 980’s website or download it on iTunes.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"
- Another Nats injury: Zimmerman banged up on diving play at first
- Former Nats All-Star wins closer job with Oakland Athletics
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers