Jun 7, 2014, 2:11 PM EST
With their 15th round pick in the 2014 MLB Draft, the Nationals selected a prospect with a familiar name.
Indian River State College (Fla.) first baseman Ryan Ripken, son of Hall of Famer Cal Ripken, Jr., was taken by Washington with the 454th overall pick. The 6-foot-6 left-handed hitter batted .321 in 42 games last season.
Ripken was picked in the 20th round by the Baltimore Orioles in the 2012 draft before accepting a scholarship to play at the University of South Carolina. Ripken redshirted his freshman season as he struggled to earn playing time on one of the best collegiate teams in the country. He then transferred to Indian River State after his freshman year.
Ripken’s father, Cal, last played in the major leagues in 2001 after 21 years with the Baltimore Orioles. Ryan was often seen with Cal around Camden Yards in the later years of his father’s career.
Ryan went to Gilman High School in Baltimore. There he starred on both the baseball and basketball teams.
The Nationals were linked to Cal Ripken during this past offseason as a potential candidate in their managerial search before hiring Matt Williams.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher