Jun 7, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
With their 15th round pick in the 2014 MLB Draft, the Nationals selected a prospect with a familiar name.
Indian River State College (Fla.) first baseman Ryan Ripken, son of Hall of Famer Cal Ripken, Jr., was taken by Washington with the 454th overall pick. The 6-foot-6 left-handed hitter batted .321 in 42 games last season.
Ripken was picked in the 20th round by the Baltimore Orioles in the 2012 draft before accepting a scholarship to play at the University of South Carolina. Ripken redshirted his freshman season as he struggled to earn playing time on one of the best collegiate teams in the country. He then transferred to Indian River State after his freshman year.
Ripken’s father, Cal, last played in the major leagues in 2001 after 21 years with the Baltimore Orioles. Ryan was often seen with Cal around Camden Yards in the later years of his father’s career.
Ryan went to Gilman High School in Baltimore. There he starred on both the baseball and basketball teams.
The Nationals were linked to Cal Ripken during this past offseason as a potential candidate in their managerial search before hiring Matt Williams.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September