Game 62: Nats at Giants

Jun 9, 2014, 6:21 PM EST

AP AP

The Nationals are playing their best baseball of the season right now, having won seven of nine to propel themselves into a three-way tie for first place in the NL East with the Braves and Marlins. The one caveat: This hot streak has come against the struggling Rangers, Phillies and Padres.

Tonight, the real test begins, with the Nats opening a four-game series in San Francisco against a Giants club that owns an MLB-best 42-21 record. Stephen Strasburg takes the mound, hoping to continue the Nationals’ dominant run of pitching — six earned runs, 40 strikeouts, zero walks over the last five games — against a lineup that features an old friend. Yes, Michael Morse is batting fifth and playing first base.

Anthony Rendon once again is out of the Nationals’ lineup, the third straight game he has missed after taking a hard grounder off his right hand Friday night in San Diego. Otherwise, Matt Williams is going with the same batting order that has been so successful over the last week.

I’m not on this trip, but enjoy the game tonight and check back for analysis in the morning…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

2B Phil Cuzzi
3B Gerry Davis (cc)

1. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I miss my man Tony.

• Doc - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Play him or trade him!!

We want ARen back in the lineup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• veejh - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Bromance?

2. 3on2out - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:29 PM

This is starting to worry me. Is the there 15 day DL in his future?

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM

3 days is about what I suspected, but we have a history on the medical team of under reporting

3. Doc - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Espi has hopped over Desi in escaping from the black hole of Mendoza line.

The K Boys never saw a pitch that they didn’t want to swing at!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Here’s Desi’s #’s when batting with RISP .286/.387/.476/.863

That’s a very good OPS. He steps up his game with RISP and leads the team in RBIs and you’re not happy?

• laddieblahblah - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Espinosa has had the best approach at the plate of all the Nats over the past 6 games. Yesterday he did his Molina imitation from the right side, dialing his swing waaay back to lightly hit a soft liner to RF for a hit. I am now past the point of risking a stroke when he does that, or something similar to it. The only question, it seems to me, is does he have the mental discipline to stick with a program that has him playing his best baseball in years?

Rick Schu for the Nobel prize in alchemy for finding the formula for turning lead into gold. If I had a vote, he’d get it.

Desmond has changed his approach at the plate, as well. I first noticed it yesterday, but he may have made the change after that day off last week. He has closed up his stance, with his left foot a lot closer to the inside of the batter’s box than before. He is still slightly open, but there is a noticeable change in his stance. His shoulders are now square to the pitcher’s mound, which allows him to reach those outside pitches he has been missing for several weeks now – and he did reach out and hit one to RF just to prove it, yesterday. Both of his homers in San Diego have been to CF. He is taking the ball where it is hit, now, instead of trying to yank every darn pitch into the LF bleachers.

Both of those guys could be .300 hitters, or a lot closer to it than they are now. All they have to do is keep doing what is working for them now.

When Ramos is in the lineup, the NATS have no easy outs from 1 through 8, even without Harper, as long as Ian and Danny keep it up. And no disrespect to Lobaton. He called a heck of a game yesterday. He and JZ were really clicking.

Big test in Frisco, staring tonight, with 2 aces on the mound.

Too bad Tony Natural will be on the bench for this one. Is there anyone left who does not yet realize the kid is a power hitter? He is on track for 20-25 this year, and will reach 25-30 next year, if he stays healthy. He’s not big, but his bat is as quick as they come, and bat speed is what largely determines power.

• veejh - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I said he had potential to be a regular .300+ 20+ HR guy early in the season and I was poo poo’d on. Someone said he would couldnt hit that many HRs and maintain that BA. Dude is a natural.

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM

a beast to be sure

• laddieblahblah - Jun 10, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Veejh, I was saying that right after they drafted him. I even posted slo-mo of his swing and did a detailed analysis of how he generated all that power, and was lampooned by many here. Also pointed out that Hank Aaron only weighed in at about 175 lbs (about 20 lbs lighter than Tony was, then) and Hank was also 2 – 3 inches shorter. Posted a picture of Hank right here to show how scrawny he really was.

But his swing and Tony’s were/are very, very similar. I was in the Polo Groinds and saw Aaron hit a grand slam into the CF bleachers there, which were 460 ft from home plate. Must have travelled 470 ft.

I’ve seen it before, and I called it even before he played his first game as a minor leaguer. BTW, Tony Rendon is the only player I have ever heard of who had more homers than strike outs in a season. Did it his first near at Rice.

You can look it up.

4. lplipty - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

We all should worry…Nats have worst training staff in all of sports, including Boys n Girls club.

• NatsLady - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Trust me on this. They don’t.

• cayucosbaseballconservancy - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:42 PM

They did miss a broke wrist on Espy.

• NatsLady - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:08 PM

My doctor missed a broken finger for months. Finally my co-workers insisted it was broken and it showed up on an X-ray, but too late because the bone had already attached itself incorrectly. As a person without insurance before Obama Care, I didn’t bother to go to the doctor for the next broken finger or broken toe. Also, read up on the problems Jayson Werth had getting his wrist fixed (not the one he broke when he was a Nat).

I report on injuries on a daily basis. Almost every team misses them, keeps guys playing and then discovers more serious underlying factors.

• chaz11963 - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:55 PM

NL, you’re The Best, but I don’t think you can compare the situation with your finger and your doctor to the Nats medical staff and Rendon.

• natszee - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:33 PM

TMI

• Hiram Hover - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Folks are missing the real point of NL’s post.

If you don’t like the personal detail–which I appreciate, and I sympathize with your situation, NL–read thru to the end: this happens to ALL teams, not just the Nats.

Against all logic, fans of every team somehow manage to believe that only their team experiences these misfortunes–incompetent medical staff, bad luck on injuries, hitters failing to hit in scoring position, relievers melting down, failing in close games, streak of losses to weak opponents, etc. etc. etc.

• Eric - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Sure she can. A hairline fracture may not show up at all until remodeling is a week or two underway. Happened to my son. Day of the injury the Xray was deemed clean by more than one pediatric specialist at Shady Grove. I saw the XRay myself and while I don’t have a trained eye, the bone did look smooth. Still, because he wouldn’t bear weight, they put him in a molded splint and referred us to an orthopedist.

Fast foward 4 weeks for the last follow up XRay, and there was a bright white line there where the remodeling had take place, where previously there had been absolutely nothing to see.

You can’t treat what is impossible to detect. Only thing you can do at that point is monitor it and inform the patient of the risks of any given activities.

• Hiram Hover - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Um, no.

5. veejh - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Season defining series, imo. Split 2-2….we can hang with big boys. Lose 3-1, not the end of the world, but not one of the elite teams. Lose 0-4…all we did the past week or so was beat up a bunch of sad teams, and we’re just another average team. Win 3-1…hey, hey, don’t f with the Nats, they for real. Sweep the Giants…we’re the new juggernaut in the MLB and we’re just getting cooking.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Are you going to any of the games at AT&T?

• veejh - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Im in DC right now. Pops 70th bday tomorrow. Bummer I’m gonna miss a 4 game set.

• veejh - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:55 PM

How about you?

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Nope. Exam week (have to administer final then grade by Friday afternoon).

• cosmova - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Eugene – Are you at University of Oregon? I’m actually there now and headed down to SF to see tomorrow night’s game.

• nats2005 - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Need to win 2 out of first 3.

Don’t like that Blake / Hudson matchup in game 4 at all!

Diz

• veejh - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Gio may be back for that, yes?

• Eric - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM

No he’s doing another rehab start.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:45 PM

You probably didn’t like Blake vs Cashner either

I got front row ticket for Gio’s game Thursday. Different seat than last Friday.

6. 3on2out - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I thought I read Gio will have at least one more rehab start but could be back after they return from St. Louis.

7. Another Tyler - Jun 9, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Angel Pagan out of the lineup kinda sorta balances for Rendon.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:05 PM

“What’s this I hear about allowing pagans to play professional baseball!?!” as Roseanne Roseannadanna might well have said. (RIP Gilda Radner)

• ArVAFan - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:51 PM

8. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I’m officially putting aside the bourbon and Maalox for Anchor Steam and It’s Its and dry salami for the next four days.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I got some mountain dew for tonight.

9. natsfan1a - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Dang, what I wouldn’t give for an It’s-It. And some Gallo salami. And some real sourdough bread. Yeah, could I get some Flicks, too? Okay, thanks. I’ll wait.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Oh, yeah, forgot sourdough. But Molinari salami — best I can get here is Columbus.

• natszee - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Then buy some :)

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM

OK, that is what I wouldn’t give: $87 for one case.

• natsfan1a - Jun 10, 2014 at 6:18 AM

lol

10. chaz11963 - Jun 9, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Still 2 hours from game time. Geezz… I can’t keep drinking vodka-tonics.

11. unkyd59 - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Sorry, too much typing to let this one die on an old thread… Posted after the link to Werth and Betsy’s Glove Story…..

unkyd59 on June 9, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I was a slow pitch softballer, in my late 20′s… A 60 game season, made up of 2 double-headers a week, pretty serious stuff, in Beallsville, MD. I had a Rawlings Fastback, Robin Yount model. Not expensive, but it was perfect! My best friend had the the matching glove, left-handed. We named them Glamdring and Orcrist, after Gandalf and Thorin’s matching Elven swords, from The Lord of the Rings (corny, huh?…lol). I left it in the dugout, and never saw it again. Couldn’t find another, on short notice, so I got a Wilson glove, but it wouldn’t break in at the corner, like the other (honestly, that Rawlings just wrapped itself around the ball, with no effort, at all!). A few years later I started just playing catch with another friend, a couple times a week, just to get out and get the blood running (the knees didn’t allow for actually playing, any more). I decide to get another Rawlings, and went to Galyans. Again, no Rawlings Fastbacks!!! WTH?!?! But they had another similar mitt, much higher quality, made by Nokona. Well, I thought it was a $60 glove, so I went to checkout, but it rung up at $160?!?! Can you believe I took it anyway?! To play catch, for all love!! Well we switched to frisbee, and I only used it a couple times, and it got dusty, until I thought of my nephews boy, Tucker, my godson. He’s about 13, and a pretty sharp athlete, so last summer I sent it to him, hoping he’d be patient enough to break it in, and that his hand would be big enough to use it. It’s a pro-grade mitt, so it was quite stiff… Well, a year later, he LOVES it!!! The boy will get many years out of it… Maybe he’ll play college ball…

It’s funny, how things work out, no? No way I could afford to buy that for him now, but there it was….. :-)

• David Proctor - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Great story!

• natszee - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:39 PM

• Whynat - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:00 PM

this is the kind of stuff that makes this the best blog! Thanks.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Nice story, Unky.

12. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Washington Nationals ‏@Nationals 9s
    #Nats Manager Matt Williams said Anthony Rendon is still a little sore today but available to PH. #Nats hopeful he’ll return to lineup tmrw

• Eric - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:34 PM

That’s good to hear. I’ll feel even better if he actually DOES pinch hit, let alone if he makes it into the lineup tomorrow.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Hmmm. That implies he isn’t confident he can throw yet.
      Not worried yet, but noted with concern.

13. unterp - Jun 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Adam Kilgore @AdamKilgoreWP · 14m

Anthony Rendon is available to pinch hit, Williams said. He hit again and felt better than yesterday.

• Eric - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Oh, I didn’t realize he took BP yesterday. Officially back in wait and see mode.

14. Candide - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Missed Rendon the last couple of games. Am I the only one here who likes watching him at the plate even more than watching Harper?

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Not by a long shot.

• David Proctor - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:24 PM

We haven’t really seen Harper at full strength and swinging it well in over a year. When Harper’s hot, there’s nobody on the team I’d rather watch.

• Another Tyler - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Nope!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Candide, I really enjoy watching Rendon mature as a batter. I was going through some Sabre stats today, Tony leads the Nats in RC (runs created) and 18th in the NL with a 37.1 rating.

• unkyd59 - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:37 PM

+100…. Tony’s a mechanic!

• veejh - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Harper who?

15. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Meant to come home and take a nap but my a/c unit was on the fritz, so the repairman had to come and fix it… Interfered with my nap time….

Hopefully I’m not sleep by the first pitch…. :-)

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:56 PM

10:15 Eastern is a ridiculous start time
      All west coast night games should start no later than 9:30 PM Eastern…We got more TVs in the East

16. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM

We’ll hear Take on Me tonight on the road.

17. breakbad1 - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I have made some tough, skeptical comments regarding the Nats…they’re a mental team, regarding Zimm’s coming throwing problems from the outfield, etc.

But I predict the Nats will sweep this series. We are a better ballclub than the Giants.

Natstrodamus has spoken.

• David Proctor - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:48 PM

We’re going to sweep a 4 game series in San Francisco? Now that’s some optimism.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:51 PM

I told my CFO 3-1… Yeah I was chugging kool aid today… And I don’t mind admitting it,

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Winner of today’s IEA (Irrational ,Exhubarence Award)…but a series win would put a lot more swagger in the Nats step

18. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Anyone catch Michael’s first at bat today to hear response?

His apology today was weak especially based on his comments last night.

Just wondering don’t want a long discussion just a quick answer.

• knoxvillenat - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Michael’s first at bat to what? I haven’t a clue what you are trying to reference to.

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:01 PM

translate to Manny Machado

• Section 222 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM

You need a translator to figure out MNF’s comments.

19. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM

In other news the Rockies are really bad. The Braves get 4 against them without Cargo and Cuddyer :(.

20. unkyd59 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Was up at 4 am for PT….. I’m out.

GYFNGOGOGO!!!!!

21. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Okay…. Nice…

There goes the no hitter….

22. Drew - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM

That’ll work. Nice job, KF.

23. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Tight SZ…

24. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Let’s get this party started!!!!

25. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Whoop, whoop…. Go Jayson!

26. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:21 PM

oh my…nice way to get Vogelsong early

27. Drew - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:21 PM

That was smoked.

28. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Good start

29. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Hittin em hard

30. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Nice play pence… I remember wanting him on the Nats…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Glad you are awake for the game! ;)

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I thought that was going to be a finger. Going to right

31. Section 222 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Weird that Carp knew Posey had played 148 games last year, but didn’t know that 21 of them were at 1B and 5 were at DH.

32. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:35 PM

panda and the beast… Washington mascots

shoot screech…we need a panda for the mascot

33. Drew - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Good job. Morse will come up with no one on base.

34. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Now let’s score some more.

35. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Ruthian

36. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Vogelsong is getting crushed..

37. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:39 PM

3 games in a row Ian blasting

38. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Ramos scores from 1st base! Thought I would never see that except on a HR.

39. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:39 PM

somebody wake up the rest of the NI crew…We gotta game going on

40. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Danny contact like the last week

41. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Meh meh meh

42. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Come on Danny. Your 1-1 swing was your long and your 1-2 was old Danny again. Easy RBI sitting on 3rd with no outs. Not happy to see that with Stras on-deck.

I am pissed off now.

• Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Completely expected.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I had just been emailing with Laddie on Danny and discussing his “hot streak”.

In the perfect situation against a good team to stick it to Vogelsong and he swings through a strike and then swings at a ball at his shoulders for the K.

I can’t stand watching the lack of discpline.

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:44 PM

swingin for the brick wall….like hittin your head against one over and over again

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Just make f******g contact. It doesn’t take much with a man on 3rd and no outs. A K is about the worst thing you can do as the #8 hitter and the pitcher on-deck.

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:49 PM

yes…well but everyone else is stinging it so more should fall

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Now a 1 run game.

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM

i am already concerned about Soriano in the 9th..Need to forget the last outing and he one where Werth caught the last out over the wall..I[m way ahead of myself

43. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Crap this thing is out of order already. Why we switch to an inferior server?

Espi swung hard all 3 times, I wish his left handed swing with 2 strikes would soften.

Ian should been on the contact pkay

44. scnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I was actually happy to have Danny up there.

• Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I wasn’t.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Espi’s approach is good when no one is on, nit when all you need us contact.

45. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Espy come on my man. He has been better lately, but he has to know with the pitcher on deck in that situation we can have anything from him except a K and be swings through two high fastballs for the fences. Should be 3-0.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Ground out to second would be a run, but it goes to what All Kaline said last night. Batters would rather strike out going for a homer then a grounder to second.

46. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Man on third no outs then three poor at bats (actually just 2)

Ahead 2-0 but hope we dint regrets some really bad at bats with RISP. NOW 1 for 7. that amazing for 2 innings.

• Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Only poor ab was Espy.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Strasburg’s at bat nit bad the non contact on a hut to second was bad.

47. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Espinosa has to make contact in that situation. You can’t leave a man on third with no out against the Giants. We need runs.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Would think.

48. Drew - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Giolito threw 4 scoreless innings tonight for Hagerstown, 6 Ks, 3 walks. His ERA is 2.06.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Potomac second half?

49. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:50 PM

The big matchup..one for our side

50. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Strasburg can’t get Colvin out.

51. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM

So far SF 0 For 1 RISP

52. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Now 1 for 2. Note to Espi no outs man in scoring position swing a little sifter like Crawford did and make contact.

53. Section 222 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Everyone’s all excited about Espi’s hitting the last few games. But I’d like to see him drive in a runner from 3rd base with no one out for once. When you’re batting 8th in that situation, you’ve got to figure out something. Taking big cuts on pitches up is not the way to get the job done. And striking out was the worst possible thing he could do.

But am I surprised? Not really. Someone earlier today said that he had the best approach at the plate of any Nat in the last week. Despite the gaudy OPS (.958), he has 10 Ks (and only one BB) in 27 PAs. That’s just too many to be a productive player.

54. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Both teams hitting hard compared to how the pitchers have been pitching.

55. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:56 PM

S-burgs fb finding a little too much plate that inning.

56. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Need to add John McGraw and Christy Matthewson to their wall of fame. didn’t have numbers until 1929 Yanks

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM

No 25 retired

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:06 PM

oh good..he was a nasty sob…an old oriole

57. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Carp has shirt memory Werth has 1 of 2 hard hits, zim was hard, Ramos hard Ian hard. Span’s first fairly hard

LaRoche sort of hard

58. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Another hard hit. Come on zim time for a dinger

59. Section 222 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:04 PM

FP yearns for the good old days when players hated each other. They’re a bunch of wusses now, being friends with each other.

Oh jeez.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:06 PM

O’s abs A’s hate each ither

• Section 222 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:14 PM

If I understand your gibberish correctly, yes, after this weekend they probably do. But after Machado’s apology, maybe things will quiet down. FP probably wouldn’t approve.

60. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:04 PM

RISP

61. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:04 PM

inside the park homer and stealing home the most exciting play in bball

62. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Ian…Clutch

68. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM

2 for 8 RISP

69. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Well done Dez.

70. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Oh Ian Desmond. That was nice. 5-5 with bases loaded and BA w/ RISP climbing over .290

71. Drew - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Yessir!

GYFNG!

72. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Swing Qp1 not bad for Espi

73. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM

They found Danny’s achilles heel…the high fast ball inside

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM

That’s been there since his Rookie year. They are just exploiting it once again until he shows he can lay off that junk or put it in play.

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Danny has reopened the weakness like an addict…one high fastball is too much, 1000 are not enough

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:25 PM

It’s just so sad because we all know that pitch is coming and in his entire career he has never hit that ball.

74. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Take a seat.

75. Section 222 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Desi=Clutch
    Espi=K Machine/Rally Killer

• natszee - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM

• adcwonk - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:28 PM

C’mon. I know he has stunk tonight thus far, but in his last six games he’s been batting .455 with 5 RBI’s.

• Section 222 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:50 PM

I know. But he’s struck out 10 times in his 27 PAs this month. I’m sorry, but unless you are Adam Dunn (and even if you are), you can’t strike out as much as he does. Ks kill rallies. If you’re going to be a .230 hitter, you hae to learn to make contact to make contact with RISP. Tonight he has 2 Ks. Imagine if he just could hit a flyball in the second. We’d be up 5-1. And if he could just poke the ball to the opposite field we’d be up 6-1.

• adcwonk - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM

I know. He’s stunk today. It’s frustrating.

But it’s like nobody remembers that just yesterday he hit a two-run single with bases loaded and two out.

• Section 222 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Believe me, I remember. That doesn’t change the fact that he strikes out WAY TOO MUCH. He has played 52 games this year in which he’s had more than 1 PA. You know how many games he’s managed to avoid striking out? Eleven. Yes, he has struck out in 41 out 52 game this year. He’s struck out twice or more in 21 games. 22 after tonight.

• adcwonk - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:15 AM

And he led the NL in K’s in 2012. That’s who he is.

My observation was merely this: Strasburg’s having a great game; Span’s having a great game; Nats are ahead 4-1; and there’s more comments about DE than the prior three subjects put together.

It’s almost like the LoD out here.

I don’t read threads during losses because the LoD bums me out too much. But here we’re winning, and so I just wish there were a better ratio of good comments to negative comments.

76. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Why dies Espi swing pitches that are high.

It is easy to fix from I read if the Ted Williams book. Put your hands at the highest strike level. If you have to raise hands to hut, you won’t swing. Ted Williams had a lit of tricks in his book, but young players know better Then Ted how to hit.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Espi hits much better when no one is near a base.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Give him some credit, he showed signs of hitting with RISP over the weekend. Today he decides he wants to hit one in McCovey Cove and all he has is 2 swing & miss K’s with RISP.

77. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Come on too many pitches to a outcher

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I typed pitcher so I thought.

78. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:18 PM

LaRoche is a picker

79. natszee - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Danny K is back after a short visit from April Danny. Any contact in his 1st at bat gets an RBI and he kills the rally with his 2nd K. Hoping we are not looking for that run an hour from now.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:20 PM

April Danny swings softer

80. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:19 PM

how many errors/hits has LaRoche made into outs.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM

More than I can count.

81. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Too many balls this inning.

82. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Keep putting up numbers

83. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Strasburg looks a tad out of sorts to me today. Isn’t being helped by an extremely small zone.

84. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Espinosa has taken over the team lead in K’s.

85. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM

86. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Bring him home please.

87. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Keep putting up numbersRISp Time

88. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Swing at hut table pitches please

89. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Why did span stand still

• Section 222 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Because the ball was hit up in the air, not directly to the ground. You didn’t see that?

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Looked on the ground, but then my eyes are going blind the past couple tears.

90. adcwonk - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Wow — Span

In his last 17 games, not including tonight, he’s batting .346, with 9 doubles, and 15 runs scored. SLG of .500!

91. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Why can’t we ever convert man on 3rd less than 2 outs. Do we have any sac flies on the year? (Of course we have at least 1.)

92. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Frandsen is awful.

93. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Frandsen is fine off the bench, but pathetic tonight. Infield in drive it like Werth did.

Now 2 for 10 RISP

94. adcwonk - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Oy — I wonder if they have a stat called LO3, as opposed to LOB — runners left on third base.

Uggh . . .

95. Drew - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Another failure to score the runner from third with fewer than two outs.

Hope it doesn’t come back to haunt.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I owe you 1!

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Owe you both..if I didn’t have a danny rage moment…would have beat you all

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:39 PM

All good minds. Now we can ask after 2 games, why is Frandsen batting 2nd?

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:42 PM

he is a contact guy ?
        but maybe better to put him 8th and move /ian up in the order. The way span is hitting, would be better to have more pop directly behind him…
        Well we are still up by 3.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:45 PM

I would have like to have seen both Espi and Frandsen bunting. Why not.

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM

FP agreed with you regarding Frandsen.
        Guess he’s shown some skill at hitting ground balls to the right side when needed.
        Espi is more difficult for me…given his latest games, want him swinging, but how quickly the swing turns with him as DP and others noted

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Infield playing in and Frandsen just does not hit the ball hard most times.

96. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM

That’s 2 stranded runners at 3rd when the Nats had less than 2 outs.

• dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM

owe you 1, GOSM

97. dcwx61 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:35 PM

2 runners left on 3rd w/ less than 2 outs.

Danny, this is no time to play with your head up your A…
    We playin a darn good team..
    Don’t need the pitcher leading off every inning or
    the other team not giving Ian anything to hit.
    Whoa..raging against the machine….too many years, too much inconsistency….need to up my meds

98. David Proctor - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:36 PM

It should be 6-1, AT LEAST 5-1 right now. All it takes is getting the runner in from third with less than two out.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Third base coach asleep like when Frandsen was picked off.

99. davecydell - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM

1….why no bunt attempt?
    2 why no go on hit to morse, morse recovers w/back to plate, has tough right field side throw, if span is thrown out so what

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Yep, play some smallball for an add-on run with a light hitter like Frandsen.

• Section 222 - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM

On 2, Span froze because the ball wasn’t hit to the ground. He was worried it would be caught on the fly.

100. Danny - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Ump hasn’t been calling the black all game for both sides. Hurts Vogelsong more because that’s his game.

101. adcwonk - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Look, I know we’re all frustrated at leaving guys on — I we all hope it doesn’t bite us in the butt later on — but, can we see that the glass is more than half full at this point? We’re up 4-1 against the best team in baseball, and Strasburg just had a 1-2-3 inning (which is always a good sign . . . perhaps he is settling in).

• David Proctor - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM

I agree with you, but it’s concerning because of precisely who we’re facing. You can’t have enough runs against this team. A 3 run lead and a 5 run lead are VERY different.

• adcwonk - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Of course it’s concerning. But it’s a bummer that now that we’re winning and the LoD is silent, that we’re still seeing more negative than positive when we’re winning and Strasburg is starting to cruise.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM

I thought Matty learned from the first Barves series. Play situational where you know your hitter is weak and get creative and squeeze play. To come back with nothing in those 2 situations stinks.

I will say that with Espi, you probably let him swing away but I squeeze with Frandsen.

• adcwonk - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Yep — I would have tried a safety squeeze with Span on 3rd.

102. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Zim just missing twice to right.

That is mtpy hitting coach style to right on outside pitches.

Hanger and Zim misses

103. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM

This is a hitter’s umpire for sure. Our hitters have taken some advantage.

104. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:52 PM

All those pitches were srrijes

105. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:53 PM

LaRoche is on fire.

106. Joe Seamhead - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Great play by ALR & Desi!

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Desi fielding better.

107. manassasnatsfan - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Anyone else having with the audio on MASN?

108. adcwonk - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Strasburg seven in a row

109. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I’m going to call Desi’s throw to LaRoche a “bounce pass”. Effective!

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Adam may not have the best range, but he has done a helluva job keeping the IF fielding pct. as high as it is with his picks. Great play by Desi to get the throw there.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM

100% agree. He is the best pooper scooper in the Bigs and truthfully Desi throws many bouncers on purpose since the bouncer will get fielded and the overthrow has no shot.

110. Another Tyler - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM

The last time Danny K at the Giants! Sorry I don’t know how to make that a link…

• Another Tyler - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM

• dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Didn’t he own the Mariners back in the day

111. dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM

3 K game for DE

112. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Danny didn’t swing at the high heater on 0-2 but sure does on 2-2. THREE STRIKEOUTS ALL ON THE SAME PITCH!

• adcwonk - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Cabrera did it, too — he struck out six times in two games on the same pitch. (On the same pitch that Danny’s K’ing on ).

• dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM

DE has been a bit more consistent and successful with that approach than most….i’m so tired of watching it come back year after year after year….like a zit popping up

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Absolutely and Everth Cabrera who was suspended for PEDs last year was the guy who stole Desi’s All Star spot.

P.O.S.

113. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Another K by not swinging.

I dont get the comment “and he knew it,” if you know it just stick the bat out and flick it foul. No full swing just stick the bat don’t just stand there.

Luke APpliing was great at that.

The kangeroo court (do they still exist?) Should fine Espi ever swing at a ball above the waste, it would eliminate a lit of his strikeouts.

114. dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:07 AM

you would think the G men have seen some good pitching with the Bums in their division.
    But they are clueless against the great strasburg

115. Danny - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Wow, Buster looked clueless that ab.

116. adcwonk - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Strasburg — his 7th K, and now he’s retired 10 in a row.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Starters last 10 games have been fantastic.

117. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Straw wrong. Pitch count says one more inning.

Another quality start.

118. David Proctor - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Strasburg is locking it in now. Probably got one more inning in him.

119. breakbad1 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:12 AM

No excuse for not suicide-squeezing Frandsen with Span on third.

• adcwonk - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM

Or at least a safety squeeze.

OTOH, with Span on second just now he gets a single thru the drawn in infield!

120. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Let’s score a few

121. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:13 AM

A great play by CF to save a triple

122. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Get him to third again

123. Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:14 AM

You guys that are calling for the Nats to get rid of Denard Span? I don’t get where you all are coming from.

• dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM

They’re asleep as should i be…only crazy fans who watch too much bball are up now.

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM

LOL, dcwx61.

• Steady Eddie - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM

You can’t watch too much baseball when they’re playing like this!!!!

• dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Yes…but now I’m all jived up…this is fun!!!
        All those gappers to RC…They should modify Nats park…These guys can hit the gap.

• Eric - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM

I am nit about that. I want Zim at second

• adcwonk - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Ya . . . remember last year when someone keep saying “Span = Nyjer”. Sheeesh . . .

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:22 AM

That “someone” is still saying to get rid of him, but there was more than one making that ignorant comparison

124. dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:15 AM

At least Frandsen has a chance of advancing the runner…good AB again

125. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM

There goes FP singing the praises of Frandsen. Blah Blah Blah. OK, he gets a single there but…….

• David Proctor - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:17 AM

He conveniently omitted Frandsen’s failure to get Span in with less than two out.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:21 AM

He always does for his buddy. I think he has to do a disclaimer that when it comes to Frandsen he takes “homer” to a whole new level.

• dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:21 AM

He hit a ground ball to first gents…at least he made contact
        He also failed to mention that Danny struck out 3 times. That’s not his style.
        But Ray Knight on the other hand…

• dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM

He’s done fine I think…at least he makes contact. He’s no Rendon of course but who on the bench is (except for Rendon tonight)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:22 AM

dcwx61, you know, you make a good point, he does make contact and it was MWs job to put on a squeeze or safety squeeze.

126. David Proctor - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM

If we don’t get this run in, I might go bezerk.

• Eric - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM

WOO!!! +1 for sanity ;)

127. Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Werth it!

128. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Look at Jayson just trying to shorten up. I love that swing.

129. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Now 4 for 13 RISP.

130. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Move the line

131. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Ball dude is a switch hitter double ear flap

132. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Bartender, cancel the Irish coffee and bring me a halfsmoke.

133. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Come on zim move the line

134. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Ryan hurt himself. Sheesh.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM

I think Posey’s throw hit him in the ankle bone.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Really?

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:32 AM

My best guess looking at the replay.

• Steady Eddie - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM

No, replay showed it went into Morse’s glove and then out on the infield side. Zim just planted on the back of the base weirdly. From the way he ran after that, seems to be just a momentary thing. Let’s hope. (With an 8 run lead, let’s hope they put in McLouth for him, just to be safe.

Oh well, looks like they put him in for Werth instead.that’s OK too as long as Zim is in fact OK.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:33 PM

DING DING DING! Matty confirmed postgame. I win the Internet!

135. dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:24 AM

fudge….welcome the valley of death back of the lineup if Zimm is hurt…

136. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Let McGlove take the field in bottom of 7th

For fantasy purpose a sac fly would be great

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Double is good too, but lost an RBI

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Yes, good time to get Zim out.

137. David Proctor - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Deep breath, it just looked like a twisted ankle. No big deal. Though I fear anything with Zimmerman.

138. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Buffalo Wil is killing the ball tonight!!!!

139. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Ian needs a homer for the cycle

140. Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

5 Robbie’s for Ian!

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Ribbies

141. dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Jeez…are we really beating the Giants and Volgelsomg at home 9-1

142. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

I like this Ian Desmond guy. Where are all those guys who were sharting on him during the month of April.

143. RickH - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM

Who saw THIS coming???

144. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Barrett in is fine with me

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM

I predicted this. I said the team with the most runs would win.

145. adcwonk - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM

OK, guys . . . I hope this doesn’t jinx anything, but it’s late, I gotta get up early, and I’m comfortable with a 9-1 lead. So, I’m heading off to bed

G’night all!

• adcwonk - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM

But one last comment:

I think I heard that: last seven games, Nats starters have 51 K’s and 1 BB.

146. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Desi is officially batting over .300 now with RISP.

147. Danny - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Anyone remember when we did this to the Giants in 2012. We would’ve stomped them in the NLCS imo, not to bring up bad memories.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM

If I remember eurptger Vigelsing or Cain pitched that game

148. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Better than a K

149. dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Productive out Danny

150. breakbad1 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM

We are much, much better team than San Francisco.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I don’t know about that, but the Nats are a much, much better team than those other teams in the NL East.

151. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Help me out here, why did he pull Strasburg here? I would’ve let him go 1 more.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Who’s his next start against?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Cardinals this weekend.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:45 AM

There’s your answer.

• Steady Eddie - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

He was at 88 pitches. As they said, let him save some gas for the Cards on Saturday. We should have the win for him now.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM

I guess but would have let him go 2 or 3 more batters. No big deal.

• Faraz Shaikh - Jun 10, 2014 at 5:19 AM

HI would have left him in too.

152. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Strasburg lowered his ERA to 2.99. That’s impressive.

153. dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:36 AM

They played Take on Me!

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Why not? That’s his song.

154. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I’m happy. Jayson Werth got an early rest. Who else needs a rest.

155. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

McGlive in right save Jay son’s legs.

0-2 count and whack him in the ribs. Watch out for thrown bats

156. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Good, Ryan is running well. Glad we got to see that. Wooooooooooo

157. dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:38 AM

How bout giving Zimm the rest of the night off.
    Even Hairston in Left couldn’t hurt us now

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Agreed

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:42 AM

“Even Hairston in Left couldn’t hurt us now”

Ooooh, are you new here?

• dcwx61 - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM

his drop rate is now below 50%

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Post of the night!

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:54 AM

HA!

• Steady Eddie - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM

What’s his “clueless where it’s going” rate at?

158. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM

FP list track of the ciunt

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I mean Catp

159. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:42 AM

@Astros bring in Jerome Williams to relieve Tony Sipp, move Sipp to RF, then move Sipp BACK to mound in SAME inning: http://atmlb.com/1mAc9E7

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Bo Porter getting creative.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:55 AM

That happened ore 60s about once a week somewhere in the league.

160. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Barrett when he is on is filthy

161. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Let Loboton and Hairston play

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:48 AM

I don’t think MW will clear his entire bench.

162. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Now do you all get Free McNuggets and 1/2 price pizza and free donuts? I think for 10 runs you need Free Beer.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Doughnuts? Where?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:00 AM

I thought you all had free Dunkin Donuts. My bad.

163. Danny - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Low lev spot for Detwiler, seems like the only time he gets in.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Not very impressive yet.

164. davecydell - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:50 AM

2 innings left
    wholesale subs by giants
    throwing in the towel.

165. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:55 AM

Det not as effective as last time.

• Steady Eddie - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM

He’s getting nickel-and-dimed here.

Including his “ball two” to Blanco which should have been strike three.

166. conatsguy - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Back from Coors Field..

Damn- Really wanted the Rox to knock Atlanta out of first place tonight.

The Barves look like a really beatable, small ball outfit, but some how remained competitive against the B Squad lineup Colorado fielded ( 4 starters out, and a rookie pitcher debut)

Joe K.

167. Danny - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Man oh man..

168. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Great strategy by Det

169. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Buffalo Wil hustling like its a 2-1 game. I love it!

170. Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I hate that “report comment” button on this Word Press. I am often hitting it with my thumb on the IPad.

Great play by Ramos! Nothing like making lemonade out of Det’s lemon of a pitch.

171. Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Pull Det! Matt!

172. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:00 AM

Det over 5.00 now. If he wants quality innings he needs to pitch quality when called upon.

173. David Proctor - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Really, Ross?

174. Danny - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Amazed Det still hasn’t developed an effective second pitch..

175. manassasnatsfan - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:03 AM

That could have been a lot worse, but come on Det do your job.

176. Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I get why MW left him in, but I don’t underestimate the Giants at home until the last out is made.

177. veejh - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Smash Giants!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!

178. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Come on Ian. Get your Cycle here!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:11 AM

Just need the HR.

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Okay, who had any idea that ALR would have the highest OBP on the team at this point in the season? And OPS?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Or that Span would be leading this team in total XBH.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Not me Joe.

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Me neither, Steve. He has just quietly put together a great first third of the season.

179. Eric - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:12 AM

FP and Carp and the seagulls are crackin me up.

180. David Proctor - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:14 AM

I thought off the bat that Desmond had his HR, but it didn’t have the sound

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Too bad. That would’ve made the night.

181. Joe Seamhead - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:19 AM

The Nats are leaving nothing but carnage for the carrion fowl!

182. breakbad1 - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:22 AM

We are a better baseball team than San Francisco.

183. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:23 AM

Fell asleep after Pence’s robbery of Ryan’s hit in the 1st and just popped up as Det got the 3rd out…. Good thing I recorded this game….

All’s right in NatsLand… Way to win the opening series game…

Will watch on DVR tomorrow…

And back to sleep I go… :-)

later.

184. David Proctor - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Big win. Takes the pressure off the rest of the series. Bumgarner is going tomorrow, so it’ll be tough. We’ve hit lefties well. Harper has good numbers against him. Too bad he can’t play

185. whitennerdy898 - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:52 AM

Maybe one of you scorekeepers out there can answer this for me: In the 7th, Span and Frandsen were Vogelsong’s batters after Kontos came into the game. Werth scored Span. Frandsen got thrown out at home on Zim’s grounder, then Werth scored. The way I see it, Werth was Kontos’ batter, and his run should be charged to Kontos, not Vogelsong. The official box score gives Vogelsong 6 ER and Kontos 3, but I have it 5 and 4. What’s the deal?

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 10, 2014 at 12:52 PM

whitennerdy898 – Jun 10, 2014 at 1:52 AM

A good question. Here’s the relevant PxP:

Top 7
      1.Denard Span doubles (19) on a line drive to center fielder Gregor Blanco.
      2.Kevin Frandsen singles on a ground ball to left fielder Tyler Colvin. Denard Span to 3rd.

Pitching Change: George Kontos replaces Ryan Vogelsong, batting 9th.

3.Jayson Werth singles on a line drive to right fielder Hunter Pence. Denard Span scores. Kevin Frandsen to 2nd.
      4.Adam LaRoche walks. Kevin Frandsen to 3rd. Jayson Werth to 2nd.
      5.Ryan Zimmerman grounds into a force out, shortstop Brandon Crawford to catcher Buster Posey. Kevin Frandsen out at home. Jayson Werth scores. Adam LaRoche to 3rd. Ryan Zimmerman advances to 1st, on a missed catch error by first baseman Michael Morse.

The only thing I can think of, and if correct this is news to me, is that Werth’s run, being a continuation of the play, gets charged to Vogelsong as if it were Frandsen, but that does seem counter-intuitive, especially since there was only one out (Frandsen) at the time, and Werth would eventually have scored anyway.

186. Eric - Jun 10, 2014 at 1:56 AM

MW post game: Stras was pulled due to tightness in his back. Cropped up in the third. Sounds precautionary, but ugh.

• David Proctor - Jun 10, 2014 at 2:07 AM

He said that Stras could’ve kept pitching and it looked like Strasburg was getting better as the game went on.

• Eric - Jun 10, 2014 at 7:25 AM

True, and that clearly was the case. Still, makes me nervous!

187. veejh - Jun 10, 2014 at 3:36 AM

Amazing. Stras and Nats destroy best team in baseball doesn’t make 1 headline. Under the radar, baby. I much prefer it this way.

• scmargenau - Jun 10, 2014 at 6:05 AM

Best comment ever:

dcwx61 – Jun 10, 2014 at 12:10 AM

188. Dave - Jun 10, 2014 at 9:24 AM

OMG. Now, that is a score to wake up to.

Just win at least one more in SF, and go to St. Louis victorious. Win 3 out of 4 and go there feeling über-confident. Sweep the series and shake up the whole National League.