Jun 9, 2014, 4:03 PM EST
After one of the worst months of his career, Jordan Zimmermann turned in a week so dominant, the Nationals right-hander was deemed the best player in his league over the last seven days.
Zimmermann has been named NL Player of the Week after a pair of electric pitching performances in which he tossed 17 scoreless innings against the Phillies and Padres, capped by Sunday’s 2-hit shutout in San Diego.
The 28-year-old got his week off on the right foot when he held Philadelphia scoreless over eight innings on Tuesday, scattering five hits and a walk while striking out four. Then he topped that performance — and perhaps any other in Nationals history — on Sunday when he went the distance against the Padres, striking out 12 without walking a batter.
That start earned a “Game Score” of 95, based on the formula created by sabermetrician Bill James, which is the highest mark ever recorded by a Nationals pitcher since the franchise arrived in town in 2005.
Zimmermann’s incredible week came after a rough May in which he posted a 5.06 ERA in five starts and saw opponents hit .342 against him.
How dominant were Zimmermann’s first two starts in June? Well, over the last week, he has managed to lower his ERA from 4.07 to 3.17, which now ranks 19th in the NL.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats