Jun 10, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
We’ve said plenty about this remarkable run the Nationals are currently on, citing all the stats that have accompanied it, but the real question all along has been how long this run can continue. Especially against a tough opponent like the Giants and an opposing pitcher like Madison Bumgarner.
The 24-year-old lefty has been among the NL’s best pitchers so far this season, entering tonight’s game with an 8-3 record, a 2.68 ERA and a lights-out, 90-to-18 strikeout-to-walk ratio. (Of course, the Nationals’ rotation knows a thing or two about dominant strikeout-to-walk ratios, having recorded 47 K’s since their last base on balls seven games ago.)
Two bits of good news from the Nationals’ perspective entering this game: Anthony Rendon is back in the lineup after missing three days with a bruised right hand, and the Nats have feasted on left-handed pitching this season. They enter the game with a .287 batting average and .346 on-base percentage against southpaws (both second-best in the majors to the Rockies).
Enjoy the game and the conversation, and be sure to check in the morning for analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS
Where: AT&T Park
Gametime: 10:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Partly cloudy, 60 degrees, Wind 13 mph out to CF
CF Denard Span
3B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
LF Ryan Zimmerman
C Wilson Ramos
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
RHP Doug Fister
CF Angel Pagan
RF Hunter Pence
C Buster Posey
3B Pablo Sandoval
1B Michael Morse
LF Gregor Blanco
SS Brandon Crawford
2B Brandon Hicks
LHP Madison Bumgarner
HP Alfonso Marquez
1B Phil Cuzzi
2B Gerry Davis (cc)
3B Quinn Wolcott
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres