Jun 11, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Wilson Ramos is headed back to the disabled list, once again sidelined with a leg injury.
The Nationals catcher will be placed on the 15-day DL with a Grade 1 strained right hamstring, manager Matt Williams told reporters in San Francisco prior to Wednesday night’s game against the Giants, after hurting himself in the ninth inning of Tuesday’s win at AT&T Park.
Ramos stretched a base hit into his second double of the game, then signaled for a trainer. He walked off under his own power and expressed hope after the game the injury wasn’t serious.
But the strain was serious enough to force Ramos to the DL yet again. This is the second time this season he has gone on the DL, the fifth time in three years, following his torn ACL in 2012, two left hamstring strains in 2013 and a broken hamate bone on Opening Day this season.
With Ramos on the shelf again, backup Jose Lobaton will be forced into everyday duties. Acquired this spring because of his ability to step in and take over starting duties when needed, Lobaton has hit .221 with a .643 OPS in 27 starts this season.
Sandy Leon will be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse, where he was hitting .294 in 16 games, and serve as Lobaton’s backup for at least the next two weeks.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday