Jun 12, 2014, 9:36 PM EST
Gio Gonzalez completed his second minor league rehab assignment on Thursday night, and this time came away with much better results.
The lefty threw four innings for the Single-A Potomac Nationals and allowed one run on two hits and four walks. He faced 18 batters and struck out seven.
Gonzalez pitched against the Winston-Salem Dash, an affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. Gonzalez actually played for the Dash back in 2005 as a 19-year-old prospect.
Gonzalez is working his way back from left shoulder inflammation, an injury that has kept him out nearly a month. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list May 18 and made his first rehab start on June 6. In two outings with the P-Nats he gave up a total of nine earned runs in 7 2/3 innings pitched.
Gonzalez threw 79 pitches on Thursday night, 45 of them strikes. He is expected to join the Nationals’ rotation next week, likely in time to face the Houston Astros at home. The team does have an off-day on Monday, putting him on target to return June 18.
Gonzalez made nine starts for the Nationals before going on the disabled list. He is 3-4 with a 4.62 ERA in 50 2/3 total innings with the Nats this season.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles