Game 66: Nats at Cardinals

Jun 13, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

Fresh off their impressive 3-of-4 series in San Francisco, the Nationals now conclude their 10-game road trip with a weekend series in St. Louis. The challenge is no easier over the next three days against a Cardinals club that has won 9 of the last 11 head-to-head meetings between these two teams, beginning with that disastrous Game 5 of the 21012 NLDS.

Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound for the Nats, trying to keep his spotless June going (he hasn’t allowed a run in 17 innings so far this month). He’ll have what has become the regular lineup behind him, with Ryan Zimmerman making his 11th consecutive (and 11th career) start in left field, Danny Espinosa at second base and Jose Lobaton behind the plate for the injured Wilson Ramos.

Right-hander Lance Lynn, who you may remember giving up a fairly significant home run to Jayson Werth one October night in D.C., is starting for St. Louis, which has slugger Matt Adams back from a calf strain but had to send top prospect Oscar Tavares back to the minors to clear roster space.

I’m not in St. Louis for this series, so enjoy the conversation here as always and be sure to check back in the morning for my analysis…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

1B Rob Drake
2B Alan Porter
3B Joe West

1. micksback1 - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Let’s finally get a win, 3 seasons is a long time

2. chaz11963 - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Thanks Mark. Need a big game from ZNN.

3. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Ryan Zimmerman does not want to go back to 3B. Listening to his radio appearance earlier, he made it very clear. He didn’t say that, he said he would play 3B if needed, but it was very, very obvious that he preferred LF.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Any mention of 1B in that interview?

• David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 4:46 PM

He said that ALR is there and that the team needs him. He was asked if he was going to go back to 3B and he was like “Yeah, well, you know 3B has been tough for me the last couple years. I’ll do whatever helps the team win. But I think I’ve been doing a pretty good job in LF.” And then repeated at least three or four different times that he was enjoying LF.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:02 PM

So maybe Nats go with an unconventional three IFs and four OFs arrangement for the rest of the season? Shake baseball up a bit?

• NatsLady - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM

That would be fun! Love to see it.

• veejh - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM

LOL

• 6ID20 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Williams announced yesterday that Harper begins baseball activities on Monday. Charlie Slowes said today on MLB Network that Zimmerman has already been working on throws from third. He’ll be playing third when Harper returns. As Joey Eischen once said, he can suck on that and like it.

• unkyd59 - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Well! That’s settled, at least! I mean… Since we take every wood out of the Managers mouth to be gospel, and chiseled in stone….^

• chaz11963 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I have gotten the same feeling every time I hear or see him talk about it. I would really hate to see MW move him back there and have him go through whatever mental stress it causes him and potential embarrassment. We should keep him where he’s comfortable.

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Any talk of second base?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Glad you said that because that has been my take on it with the possibility that it was Ryan who requested the position change.

He’s looked as happy as he has been in years.

4. secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:20 PM

If Ryan does do third base I think come crunch time late in a game with the lead you pull Zimm, move Rendon to third and Danny to second for defense.

• sjm308 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Absolutely!!

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM

5. sjm308 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I will repeat my thoughts which are going against the grain here.
    I want Rendon at 3rd as much as possible for the next 5 months!
    I want Harper and our staff to make sure he is 100% before returning.
    When he does return, here is my outside the box plan.
    You have 7 position players excluding the catcher and we have 8 very good position players.
    Each one will get a day off depending on who is pitching and what travel days lie ahead.
    When Werth off – Harper in RF, Zimm LF
    When Span is off – Harper in CF, Zimm LF
    When Harper rests it the same lineup we use pretty much everyday now
    When Rendon is off – Zimm plays 3rd Harper in LF
    When Desmond is off – Espinosa SS Zimm to 3rd, Rendon 2nd and Harper LF
    When Espinosa is off – Zimm to 3rd Rendon to 2nd Harper LF
    When Zimm is off – Harper in LF
    When LaRoche is off – Zimm to first, Harper in LF

This would have Zimm playing 3rd base two games a week at the most
    All of our lads would play 6 games a week and come into the last month of the season hopefully fresher.
    As we have seen, injuries can’t be ruled out so if any of our top 8 have to sit for 15 days, you can basically settle in with a regular day in day out lineup but if all 8 are healthy I think this plan could work.

Will wait to get crushed on this but I am sticking with it.

Go Nats!!

• 6ID20 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM

So you never ever have your whole opening day lineup in at the same time. Not gonna happen.

• sjm308 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM

technically, if having the opening day lineup was really important you would have it every time Espinosa is on the bench but yes, the lineup would constantly be rotating. I realize its not going to happen and I don’t think its ever been done but there is some sense in letting each player get one day out of 8 off and knowing he would have that day for the remainder of the season.

The other reality is that with Ramos being injured in the first game and all the other injuries, I don’t believe our opening day lineup has been on the field for one game so what is the big deal?

• 6ID20 - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Frandsen, Hairston and McLouth need starts as well. Dobbs too, if he doesn’t get DFA when Harper comes back. Otherwise, if you make the playoffs your bench is worthless.

• unkyd59 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I’m with you! Or something similar, along those lines… Guys will get nicked, so a portion of the time will be more consistent. And 6 out of your 7 OD starters is prolly what most teams play with, on a daily basis. Nothing radical about it…

• masterfishkeeper - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I’m with you, too! This is brilliant. Hope Rizzo and MW are reading your posts.

• Another_Sam - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Harper needs a regular position, sjm. He’s not a utility player. I still think we’re gonna see RZ reinstalled at 3B, with a defensive replacement almost every game.

• sjm308 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Harper is 21 years old and while his numbers for his age are tremendous, he can be my utility player for this year.
        I think he has greatness ahead but he has been injured for almost his entire career as short as it is.
        So for this year, as we transition away from Zimm at 3rd and look at Rendon as our next star, I have no problem with Harper moving around in the outfield.

6. unkyd59 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Cendeño up, Treinen down… Guess Gio’s good to go…

• sjm308 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Nice to hear! Have to think Treinen will be back in Sept for sure. Hoping he is not needed before then but he sure is a nice piece to have in Syracuse.

• chaz11963 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:49 PM

He’s got a lot of raw talent, and seems to be a great kid who has worked his butt off to get this far. He really needs some sharpening, especially secondary pitches and how about some bunting (!)

• alexva6 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Treinen looks looks a potential closer to me if he can refine his command a bit more.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM

His velo in short work is upper 90’s. Definitely closer stuff with that power sinker, slider and just needs a better changeup.

• sjm308 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:02 PM

agree!

7. Danny - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Never too confident about j Zimm against the Cards.

• chaz11963 - Jun 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I’d like to see that Jordan Zimmermann that came in and pitched relief in the 7th inning of Game 4 and struck out the Cardinals side on 12 pitches.

8. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Get your vote in now. What you think should happen, and what you think will happen when Harper returns. I think there are four distinct camps at this point. Feel free to describe your position as something different. Note well, none of these camps declare that this lineup will occur every day. There will be occasional off days that will lead to a different alignment, perhaps the possibility of a platoon against a tough lefty (when Espi will be batting RH and ALR , Harper, or Span could rest), and, of course, Zim can DH when we play in Baltimore or another AL park. And obviously, an injury could change things, as could Zim completely imploding at 3B. So this is really — Harper is set to come back, we’re playing in an NL park against a RH pitcher. What should happen, what will happen?

1. The Ghost camp — Zim stays in LF, Harper in CF, Span to the bench.
    2. The NatsJack (and 222) camp – Zim returns to 3B, Rendon to 2B, Espi to the bench.
    3. The NatsLady camp — Zim never goes back to 3B. MW plays musical outfielders with Zim, Harper, Werth, and Span. Espi and Rendon play every day at 2B and 3B.
    4. The 308 camp –musical chairs, involving Harper, Werth, Span, Rendon, Espi, Zim, Desi,and ALR. Zim plays LF, 3B, and 1B at various times

I get the impression that 308’s proposal is what he’d like to see not what he thinks will happen. But the other three camp leaders have declared very clearly, though with different levels of certainty, that they think MW/Rizzo will choose their option. Of course, facts on the ground right now seem to support the NatsJack camp, so it’s ok to change your vote on what you think will happen as circumstances require.

• 6ID20 - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:22 PM

What should happen and what will happen: Zimmerman plays third unless and until that proves not to be a viable option. It was a viable option the day Zim got hurt, and nothing has changed in the interim to affect that. Next year, it’s a different story.

• rayvil01 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I think that’s going to be the spproach. Not ideal. But if and when RZ is declared not to be viable then Hairston goes and you get another lefty for the bullpen. And all kinds of things come into play at that point.

• adcwonk - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Zimmerman plays third unless and until that proves not to be a viable option

Yep . . . imho

• Another_Sam - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:47 PM

IMHO Camp 2 is a slam dunk.

• unkyd59 - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM

I would like to see, and predict a camp that outs Zim in 1/2 or fewer of the games at 3B…. I’m easy to please!

• chaz11963 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Whats the difference between the Ghost and NL camps?

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Ghost would bench Span and play Harper in CF all the time. NL would rotate the four outfielders — Zim, Span, Werth, and Harper. Harper would play all 3 positions depending on who was playing with him. The other 3 would play their “normal position” whenever they are in the lineup.

The problem with the NL and Ghost positions, obviously, is that you have a productive hitter on the bench while you play Espi every day. NL doesn’t care because she loves Espi’s defense so much that she thinks it’s worth putting up with his Ks. Ghost thinks his defense is more important than Span’s offense, given the upgrade in infield defense. He’s also not worried about losing Span’s defense.

I just don’t see either of their scenarios happening until Zim proves he simply cannot muddle through at 3B.

• knoxvillenat - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I’ll take a 1-2 exacta box, one or the other will be the choice of MW.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM

You’re missing at least one scenario:
      5. Everybody stays where they are now, Harper replaces McClouth as 4th OF, McClouth replaces Dobbs as bench bat, Dobbs replaces Frandsen at Lehigh.

Yes, I know it isn’t going to happen this way.

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Haha. Yeah, I guess there should be a few others:

1. Trade Harper, Zimmerman, or Werth before Harper actually gets back.
        2. Play Harper at catcher and platoon him with Ramos when Ramos gets back.
        3. Put Zim at 1B and make ALR the big hairy guy on the bench.
        4. See if Zim or Harper can pitch.

All equally likely.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM

When in doubt, get your weakest hitter out…note this player could change by the time harper is healthy

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Good point. Though doesn’t seem too likely.

• sjm308 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Sadly – while I love my idea, I honestly don’t think anyone in baseball will be willing to move so many pieces around for months at a time. If I had to vote or bet I would pick the dueces/Natsjack camp, but I am happy that you at least included my plan in your vote. I want to also state that I really don’t think Zimm will play well at 3rd base and this plan will fail within a month or so. I love what Zimm has done for this team and just cringe thinking about the throws we will be seeing.

9. veejh - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I vote for 4. Someone else will get injured and all this will change anyways. It’s a long season.

• veejh - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:30 PM

It may start out as 2, but will morph into 4.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

That’s kinda the way I see it — although it may morph to option 3 rather than 4.

• veejh - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I can see that. McLouth, and that bloated salary, is hard to bench just to come off the bench to PH, but it is what it is.

10. NatsLady - Jun 13, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Well, it will only take one game to prove me wrong, so there’s that.

11. Attitude of natitude - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM

While all the chatter is about harpzim, I’m curious to hear thoughts on our closer next year. Any chance we reup sorianos contract? On the one hand his numbers are ungodly good, but on the other he’s expensive and just seems like he doesn’t have the stuff to continue to dominate. And you have stored putting up great numbers, the ghost of Game 5 past perhaps being laid to rest.

• Attitude of natitude - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:43 PM

*storen

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I’m pretty sure Soriano won’t be back. Not because he’s “done” but because he’ll be expensive and the Nats have several other good options. Storen will have the inside track, though Clip will want the job and will get some consideration. Barrett will be in the mix too. This assumes that Soriano doesn’t finish enough games to invoke his option. That seems unlikely.

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:10 PM

• sjm308 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I think Treinen also will get a strong look at closer

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:22 PM

It’s an intriguing thought. But I think he has a lot of promise as a starter and they probably would be willing to keep him as the 6th starter down on the farm for another year. Starters are more valuable than relievers, even closers. And we have other closer options that are just a good.

Certainly a nice problem to have.

12. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Did I miss the memo?

Swinging at the first pitch of the game

13. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:20 PM

What 2 world series did Matheney manage?

14. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Both first batters swung at the first pitch.

15. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Zim needs to get the ball down. First 4 batters the pitches have been up.

16. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Don’t understand that pitch selection to Craig. 0-2 count and you throw an elevated fastball. Even if he intended for it to be down, that’s a count where you should be bouncing something or elevating so high they can’t hit it.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Elevated needs to be higher.

17. Danny - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM

1at an off he DL honestly…

• Danny - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:41 PM

AB*

18. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Jordan, please pull your pitches down.. Catching a lot of plate and up…

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Correct.

19. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Get your act together Zim homers, walks etc, we are used to better pitching now.

20. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Full count on 5 batters (2 hit the first pitch). Despite that, no one reached base. Odd stat.

21. Danny - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM

So Ramos presence is out and our bats collectively dip again. Bad trend.

• David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:03 PM

We scored 6 runs the first game he was out. Yesterday we faced the guy with the best ERA in the NL. We’re 3 innings in tonight.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:12 PM

You got to start counting somewhere.

22. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Good thing is…. Having decent long at bats…. May bode well to get lynn out early….

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Then you face all the power pitchers in their bullpen

23. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Very good inning Jordan… Very good.

24. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Span has seen three pitches in 2 ABs.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Not very lead off like

25. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I start thinking bad thoughts when those types of plays happen.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:22 PM

?

• David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Peralta robbed Werth and we don’t have a baserunner yet

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM

was thinking the same..to get a no-hitter, you must have some great plays behind you.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Gotcha.

26. secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Hey, we’re not going to get no hit are we?

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM

We going to win 4-2

• conatsguy - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM

27. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Rendon nice fielding.

28. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM

It would be nice not to swing at pitches in the dirt. Chances are better swinging at strikes

29. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM

This is getting a little ridiculous

30. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM

So uh…

31. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Don’t think I’ve ever watched a perfect game.
    Nats must be tired as FP mentions.
    Gotta make faster airplanes.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:28 PM

This half-inning someone gets a hit.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Go Jordan Zimmermann
        or bring up Michael Taylor
        We need more outfielders.

32. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM

It’s over….LOBO, LOBO Mannnnnn

When we would chase tornadoes, and nothin was popping, we’d stop at the DQ for a burger and blizzard or something and inevitably storms would form

33. secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Thank goodness a hit now we gotten on the ropes

34. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Take a pitch or two, Denard.

• Danny - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Such a quick developing slump.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

not sure I’d go that far but if it is, here’s hoping for a short one.

35. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM

from mlb trade rumors

James Wagner of the Washington Post examines Nationals prospect Michael Taylor‘s breakout at Double-A Harrisburg. Taylor, not to be confused by the former Top 100 prospect of the same name, has worked with hitting coach Mark Harris to tweak his approach at the plate and is recognizing breaking pitches better and thriving at the plate. His strikeout rate is still a problem, but it dropped from April to May, and if he can continue that trend he could be on a fast track to Washington’s outfield.

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I love these reports. He could be on the fast track to Washington’s outfield. Hahahaha. Just when do we expect an opening in our outfield? Especially with Zim now in the mix. Certainly not this year. Not next year either.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Fast is relative to the observer….Special Theory of Relativity

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Heh! Rizzo seems to be very good at keeping the pipeline primed with guys who are maturing at different points. Sounds like Souza and Taylor could join Bryce in an imposing young outfield in several years time.

36. secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Yeah we look tired. Still a walk and a HR is all we need. Span making a case to be traded?

37. secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM

To quote the great Bob Uker from Major League. One hit? That’s all we got is one GD hit?

38. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:43 PM

JZimm is pitching the best he ever has against the Cards. He needs a W to show for it.

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I understand your sentiment, but he doesn’t need a win. The Nats do.

39. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I was confident Zim would get an infield hit in the 9th if necessary. But this is a winnable game and the Cards bullpen is not great. Just have to get to it.

40. Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Okay, trying this again since it worked once: This half inning the Nats score a run.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Oh well.

41. secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Ooooof this is frustrating tonight.

42. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Gorgeous play by Espi. Positioned pretty well too it seemed.

43. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Well the Cards bullpen currently ranked 17th….There is hope

44. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Lance Lynn is not this good. String some hits together.

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:02 PM

2 hits in 7 innings. Tough to string anything together.

45. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Nats look silly…

46. Danny - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Zim what was that?

47. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Well the Cards bullpen currently ranked 17th

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Yeah, but it looks like we might just get Rosenthal. Lynn is carving us up and doesn’t show any signs of tiring.
      But one swing from Desi….

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

It’s up to Espi now

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:05 PM

If only it were Werth at the plate…

48. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

The good news is it can only get better.

49. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Incredibly fast game. I guess only 4 hits will do that.

50. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:03 PM

so why would you use Ross Detwiler in this situation ??

51. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:05 PM

With the way Lynn was pitching… He should have been out by the 5th or 6th….. That’s a fail that he is probably going to pitch the 9th….

52. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM

This is annoying. If this was Wainwright, okay. But it’s Lance Lynn.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM

And folks were happy we wouldn’t face Wainwright or Wacca….

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM

He can be inconsistent,…but does have a CG SHO on May 27 so he has shown he can do it.

53. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Another great play by Espi. The shift worked, but just barely.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM

The guy can play a pretty 2b… And given how MW values defense, one has to wonder if Zimm will really play 3b….

• Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Place your vote Mrsb. Are you in the Ghost camp, ready to bench Span, or with NL — musical outfielders?

No one has ever doubted Espi’s defense. It’s his Ks that put me in the NatsJack camp.

54. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

76 pitches through 8. Unreal efficiency. And in line for the loss.

55. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Jordan was magnificent tonight, outside of 1 mistake… 1 run, less than 80 pitches… Victim of run support….

56. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

76 pitches for Zim. Unfortunately 1 was a hanging change up waste high right over the middle plate that Adams deposited in the stands. Now sure Lynn had any bad pitches, if he did our hitters were not able to take advantage of it.

57. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Interesting move considering Lobo is a switch hitter and has one of our two hits tonight.

58. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Ball

59. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:14 PM

It’s been a K all night long…. Can’t get upset.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM

inside

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM

So what… It’s been called a strike all night long.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I didn’t call it a ball

60. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM

oh my..Buckner

61. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Lynn last 2 starts total of 8 inning 7 earned runs, whip 2.5 meaning 20 walks and hits in 8 innings.

Wonder what he did tonight he didn’t do the last 2 nights

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM

the thing he did in his 3rd to last start

62. Section 222 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Ouch. Nice win for the Cards. A tip of our cap.

63. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

This one pisses me off.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM

we’ll be in better shape tomorrow for sure.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM

We pitched well and as long as we do we can keep momentum, so I am not to angry about this.

64. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

That was a ball leaving his hands…. Ugly

65. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

They couln’t hit either

Turned on a baseball game and a world cup match broke out.

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM

LOL

• Eugene in Oregon - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM

66. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

It would be nice to at least K on a strike.

Was listen to Charlie and Dave who were complaint the swinging at way too many balls against Lynn.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM

true. He usually gives up a lot more walks

67. Danny - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Weak.

68. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM

We couldn’t plate 1 run… Games like this happen but I had us winning against Lynn… Oh well, hopefully we will get them tomorrow…

69. Danny - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM

The curse of St. Louis.

70. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM

i’m going with fatigue for tonight’s game

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Should have played som different guys perhaps. MCLouth….. Just awful tonight.

• Danny - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Actually had that thought, maybe we should have rested some regulars for the Hudson game.

71. dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM

so JZ has given up 1 run, 1 walk in June (3 starts, 25 inns).

72. veejh - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Slugfest for over a week and then 1 run in 2 games. Talk about frustrating. Why can’t this team be semi-consistent? Lynn isn’t an ace this season. Hudson, I get.

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Agree. I sure hope SF series wasn’t a fluke.

73. secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:29 PM

1 run in 18 innings. A bit worrisome?

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

It could be worse…We could be Orioles fans…..Shutout again tonight!!!
      Talk about worrisome…What a bunch of underperformers in Birdland.
      The curse of Angelos. They’ll never be any good…Poor fans, year after year have to pay big bucks to Angelos with the same crappy results. Why do they put up with this. They really should change allegiances and join a well run baseball organization that puts money back into the team rather than the owners pocket.

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:41 PM

I have no pity for the Os or there rotten fans. I went to 12 Os games a year as a kid. Now it is just a session pool of drunken folks who live with there parents. They way I was treated in that park last year as a Nats fans was despicable. My wife, son, all of us. Manny is a big punk and a baby. Cruz is a juicer. And so is Davis. I hope they lose every game. And all get hemroids for Xmas.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

It’s your team as a kid. You can’t give up on them now. They’ll be better once Angelos croaks.

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Did Bmore root for the Redskins when they didn’t have a football team? NO WAY. So I’m done rooting for there stupid baseball team. Have been since they fired Davey Johnson.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I’m probably wrong but I feel sometimes your posts are indictative of a foul weather fan that likes to make unrealistically negative comments about the Nats when the chance arises. I find it annoying but the first ammendment is in play here too.

74. Nats fool - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:32 PM

The downfall of this team has always been plate approach. They can get streaky, but this team will underperform in the long run. Strikeouts kill.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM

You want streaky…check out the braves….what poor decisions made by that organization,,,pitiful

• David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:39 PM

We are 14th in baseball in strikeouts. The Giants have more strikeouts than us. The Cardinals have less strikeouts, but they’re also scoring far fewer runs than us. The Brewers have about the same number of strikeouts? The least strikeouts? The Royals. One of the worst offensive teams in baseball. You are placing far too much importance on strikeouts.

75. David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I said prior to yesterday’s game that we should have rested some guys against Hudson. I was shot down because people saw it as conceding the game with Treinan on the mound. I just thought it was the smart thing to do. We had already won 3/4 and it made sense to have some guys fresh for this series. Oh well.

Either way, this one is frustrating but it’s one game. We weren’t going to sweep the Cards. Strasburg vs. Miller tomorrow, we can win that game.

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Gonna need at least one run David. I agree with you about resting guys yesterday.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM

But the Orioles couldn;’t score again tonight. Why are they so consistently mediocore year after year after year.
        Must be frustrating to be an O’s fan.
        The worst run orgainization in MLB. Their fans should go on strike.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM

• veejh - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I don’t buy this. Our guys were too tired to win. Please. These are professional athletes.

• David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Winning on the road is very hard. Most good baseball teams prefer to go .500 or slightly above on the road and then dominate at home. During west coast road trips, you just want to avoid disaster by going 3-7 or something horrible like that. I said prior to the road trip that going 5-5 would be a success. Well we’ve already won 5 so it would be very disappointing now. But yes, guy get tired. They might be pro athletes, but they’re human too.

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Coming from someone living on the west coast… ;)

• veejh - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM

So tired that we couldn’t score 1 run vs a mediocre pitcher this season? Still don’t buy, and you don’t need to deflect that fact about a road trip where we just destroyed arguably the best team in baseball. How bout some carry over?

• sjm308 - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:16 PM

See, this is why my plan might just make sense. Someone is always getting a day off!
      I am telling you people, plan #4 is the way to go.

Go Nats!!

76. secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Barves just won. Ughhhh

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Toronto did too….Yuckkkk

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Not Yuckkk. Yeahhhh

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Hey dcwx61. Like your posts. But let’s keep the orange and black outta here huh?

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Just wondering why other teams get shutout ? Maybe just a fluke.

• conatsguy - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Hey Secret agent guy..

Don’t miss you flight to St Louis. Please send pics..

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM

No way… I need to understand why other teams lose too ?

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM

As a football guy it has taken me a looooooong time to get use to a baseball season. Do you realize if you go go 10 and 6 in Fball, which is slightly above mediocre that same winning percentage in baseball is remarkable? 100 and 62

• dcwx61 - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Good…then it looks incredibly ignorant when we catastrophize a couple of losses in a baseball season.
        I know you don;’t want to look dumb,…. Am glad you are learning.

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM

There not at game though

77. manassasnatsfan - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:49 PM

My question of course is why when we win we hear nothing from Secretwasianman. But the moment they fell behind yesterday he was back. Seems odd to me.

• secretwasianman - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM

For the 1000th time. I go to bed early during the week. There. Is a 3 hour time difference on the west coast. Didn’t anyone ever teach you that?

• Section 222 - Jun 14, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Maybe you’d comment more during game posts where we’re winning if the MNF Index would come down a bit. Today was only 10%. Good post to join.

• conatsguy - Jun 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Don’t worry- he said he will be in St Louis tomorrow so he will be cheer leading the boys. A couple pics will be great!

78. conatsguy - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Rockies announcers talking about a Washington Post reporter who posted that the Nats are better off without Mickey Mo.

Morse was very hurt by the article. I guess I can look it up, but if any NI can comment it would be appreciated.

I thought he brought great to that 2012 squad.

• conatsguy - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Brought great Chemistry

• David Proctor - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM

It was the Washington Times, not Post. It was a nasty article and uncalled for. I honestly don’t want to link it because it doesn’t deserve page views. It didn’t just say that we were better off without him, it flat out called him dumb. Thom Loverro wrote it.

• conatsguy - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Oh god, Loverro, enough said…

Redskin fanboy poisoning the goodwill between Morse and Nats

Thanks Dave- will not look for the link.

• veejh - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Conats….good will? That went out the door when he talked about Take On Me. Come on.

• veejh - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM

MM shouldn’t have talked shlt about Giants fans singing “Take On Me” better. Take your lumps MM, you big baby.

• conatsguy - Jun 13, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Mickey Mo will always have my respect.

• veejh - Jun 14, 2014 at 12:08 AM