Jun 13, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
Fresh off their impressive 3-of-4 series in San Francisco, the Nationals now conclude their 10-game road trip with a weekend series in St. Louis. The challenge is no easier over the next three days against a Cardinals club that has won 9 of the last 11 head-to-head meetings between these two teams, beginning with that disastrous Game 5 of the 21012 NLDS.
Jordan Zimmermann is on the mound for the Nats, trying to keep his spotless June going (he hasn’t allowed a run in 17 innings so far this month). He’ll have what has become the regular lineup behind him, with Ryan Zimmerman making his 11th consecutive (and 11th career) start in left field, Danny Espinosa at second base and Jose Lobaton behind the plate for the injured Wilson Ramos.
Right-hander Lance Lynn, who you may remember giving up a fairly significant home run to Jayson Werth one October night in D.C., is starting for St. Louis, which has slugger Matt Adams back from a calf strain but had to send top prospect Oscar Tavares back to the minors to clear roster space.
I’m not in St. Louis for this series, so enjoy the conversation here as always and be sure to check back in the morning for my analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 8:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, Ch. 9, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Clear, 72 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from LF
CF Denard Span
3B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
LF Ryan Zimmerman
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
C Jose Lobaton
RHP Jordan Zimmermann
3B Matt Carpenter
2B Kolten Wong
LF Matt Holliday
RF Allen Craig
C Yadier Molina
1B Matt Adams
SS Jhonny Peralta
CF Jon Jay
RHP Lance Lynn
HP Marty Foster
1B Rob Drake
2B Alan Porter
3B Joe West
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets