Jun 15, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Losers of three straight, the Nationals enter Sunday looking to salvage their series against the St. Louis Cardinals with a win. They have scored a total of two runs over those three games as their offense has gone dormant.
Given all of that, now is probably the perfect time to have Doug Fister (5-1, 2.68) on the mound. The right-hander has won his last five starts and lately has been arguably the Nationals’ best pitcher. Today Fister will face the Cardinals for the first time in his career.
Starting for St. Louis is lefty Jaime Garcia (2-0, 4.26). Garcia has pitched against the Nats five times, holding a 3-1 record and 3.29 ERA.
As you’ll see in the Nats’ lineup, Ryan Zimmerman is starting at first base for the first time in his career.
Enjoy the game and check back for analysis in the morning…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at ST. LOUIS CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 2:15 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, Ch. 9, MLBN
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 21 mph
CF Denard Span
3B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
1B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Scott Hairston
SS Ian Desmond
2B Danny Espinosa
C Sandy Leon
RHP Doug Fister
3B Matt Carpenter
2B Kolten Wong
LF Matt Holliday
RF Allen Craig
1B Matt Adams
SS Johnny Peralta
CF Jon Jay
C Tony Cruz
LHP Jaime Garcia
HP Marty Foster
1B Rob Drake
2B Alan Porter
3B Joe West
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs