Jun 17, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Needing a roster spot for the return of Gio Gonzalez on Wednesday, the Nationals optioned lefty reliever Xavier Cedeno to Triple-A Syracuse late Tuesday night.
Cedeno, 27, made just one appearance in his recent stint with the big league club, a scoreless inning against the St. Louis Cardinals on June 14. He was called up the day before when starter Blake Treinen was sent to the Chiefs.
Gonzalez will likely be the corresponding move, though it has not been announced. He is expected to return from the disabled list to make his first start since May 17 when he went down with left shoulder inflammation.
Gonzalez was placed on the DL May 18 and made two minor league rehab starts with Single-A Potomac in recent weeks to set up his return. He has a 4.62 ERA in nine starts this season for the Nationals.
Cedeno leaves the Nats after his second run with the club this season. He was also with the team from April 18 to April 22, making one appearance in that span. He has a 0.00 ERA this season through 2 1/3 total innings.
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park