Jun 17, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Needing a roster spot for the return of Gio Gonzalez on Wednesday, the Nationals optioned lefty reliever Xavier Cedeno to Triple-A Syracuse late Tuesday night.
Cedeno, 27, made just one appearance in his recent stint with the big league club, a scoreless inning against the St. Louis Cardinals on June 14. He was called up the day before when starter Blake Treinen was sent to the Chiefs.
Gonzalez will likely be the corresponding move, though it has not been announced. He is expected to return from the disabled list to make his first start since May 17 when he went down with left shoulder inflammation.
Gonzalez was placed on the DL May 18 and made two minor league rehab starts with Single-A Potomac in recent weeks to set up his return. He has a 4.62 ERA in nine starts this season for the Nationals.
Cedeno leaves the Nats after his second run with the club this season. He was also with the team from April 18 to April 22, making one appearance in that span. He has a 0.00 ERA this season through 2 1/3 total innings.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot