Game 70: Astros at Nats

Jun 18, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Gio Gonzalez last started a game for the Nationals on May 17, and the results weren’t pretty. On the heels of an even uglier start in Oakland, the left-hander allowed five runs and seven hits in only three innings against the Mets, saw his ERA spike to 4.62 and then admitted afterward he had shoulder discomfort. The Nats placed Gonzalez on the disabled list, and though an MRI showed nothing more than inflammation, it took him a month to make it back to the mound.

That Gonzalez is pitching again tonight is good news for the Nationals. But until they actually see how he fares against the Astros, there’s no way to know for sure that he is back to his old self. Obviously, Matt Williams, Steve McCatty and Co. will be watching him closely and probably will err on the side of caution if they see anything they don’t like.

If the Nationals lineup can duplicate last night’s 6-run performance, much of the pressure will be taken off Gonzalez. With a huge, 4-game series against the Braves set to begin tomorrow, a win tonight (and a 2-game sweep of Houston) would certainly catapult this team into that big series in a good frame of mind.

Updates to come on a scorching-hot evening at the ballpark, so please stay cool and please check back…

HOUSTON ASTROS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS

RHP Scott Feldman

UMPIRES
HP Larry Vanover (cc)
1B Angel Hernandez
2B Adrian Johnson
3B Paul Nauert

7:07 p.m. — Gio Gonzalez’s first pitch off the DL: a 91-mph fastball inside for ball one. Gametime temperature when he threw that pitch: 94 degrees.

7:12 p.m. — The bad news: Gonzalez issued an 8-pitch walk to Dexter Fowler to begin this game. The good news: He then recorded three outs on two pitches to end the inning. Jose Altuve grounded into a 6-4-3 double play, and George Springer lofted a flyball to the warning track in right-center. Tough to find fault with those results.

7:32 p.m. — And 20 minutes later, the bottom of the first is complete with the Nats scoring one run on one hit and two walks. The real key to the rally: Three stolen bases (one by Denard Span, two by Anthony Rendon). Span was initially called out on his steal of second, but Matt Williams challenged the ruling and despite a lengthy delay of 2 minutes, 8 seconds, the call was overturned. That paid off, because Span wound up scoring on Adam LaRoche’s sac fly. All told, the Nats stole three bases on Scott Feldman’s first 19 pitches. It would appear he’s a bit slow to the plate. 1-0 Nats after one.

7:40 p.m. — Two innings in the books and Gio has walked the leadoff man both times, struck out two, hit 93 mph on the radar gun and faced the minimum. So, basically, he appears to be back. That’s Gio for you.

7:49 p.m. — Another stolen base by Span off Feldman in the bottom of the second. The Nats put two men on in the inning, with Danny Espinosa beating out a nice drag bunt. But they couldn’t make anything out of it. They’ve got three hits, two walks and four stolen bases in only two innings, yet they’ve scored just the one run so far.

8:43 p.m. — We just completed the top of the fourth, and things have not been pretty for Gio Gonzalez. He was just roughed up for four runs in the just-completed inning, which began with his third leadoff walk of the night. The Astros have taken a 4-2 lead, and Ross Detwiler was up warming in the pen earlier. He has since taken a seat, but you’ve got to think there’s a really short hook on Gio now.

8:58 p.m. — Well, he made it through the fifth, despite giving up a leadoff single to Fowler. That’s five innings and five leadoff men reaching base against Gio tonight. He battled through this one, striking out Singleton to end the inning on 93 pitches. It remains a 4-2 Astros lead, and now you’ve got to assume Gio is done for the night.

9:13 p.m. — Gio’s final line: 5 IP, 5 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP, 93 pitches, 61 strikes. Not great. Feldman, meanwhile, has thrown 103 pitches in five innings, yet has only allowed two runs. Ross Detwiler in for the top of the sixth, the Nats still down 4-2.

9:34 p.m. — The Nats get a run back in the bottom of the sixth, thanks to Span’s 2-out double, scoring Espinosa (who recorded his second successful drag bunt of the night). Span was thrown out trying to stretch it into a triple, but it’s now a 4-3 game heading to the seventh.

9:56 p.m. — And 22 minutes later, the top of the seventh is complete, the Astros having scored an insurance run on Detwiler’s wild pitch, one on which he was late to cover the plate. Detwiler wound up loading the bases after that, and Aaron Barrett had to come in and clean up the mess. So it’s 5-3 Astros as we have finally reached the seventh-inning stretch. Oh, and the heat index is still 91 degrees.

10:20 p.m. — And now the Nats have come all the way back to take the lead with a 3-run rally in the bottom of the seventh. Rendon got it started by launching the first pitch of the inning into the Red Porch for his 10th homer. Werth drew a walk, then had a great read to go first-to-third on LaRoche’s single to center. Zimmerman beat out a double-play grounder, bringing home the tying run. Desmond doubled to force Bo Porter to intentionally walk Espinosa and load the bases for Leon. Williams countered by pinch-hitting Nate McLouth, who delivered with a sac fly on the first pitch he saw. Just like that, the Nats lead 6-5 and Tyler Clippard (gulp!) enters for the eighth.

10:28 p.m. — That’s exactly what Clippard needed: a 1-2-3 inning. Tonight, he departs to rousing cheers from the crowd, having protected the 6-5 lead.

10:36 p.m. — OK, it’s Rafael Soriano vs. a pinch-hitter, Fowler and Altuve in the ninth. Buckle your seat belts.

10:49 p.m. — Ballgame. Nats win 6-5. They sweep the 2-game series and move to 1 1/2 games up in the NL East heading into a huge, 4-game series with the Braves.

1. natsfan1a - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Go, GIO! Go, NATS!

(OT alert: Was just looking at Game Day and saw that Wil Nieves doubled and was then replaced by pinch runner Carlos Ruiz. It also said something about an injury delay. Hope that Wil is okay – yeah, he’s a Phillie now but I always liked the guy – who?)

• bowdenball - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Doesn’t look good for Wil. You don’t pull your backup catcher in the 9th inning of a 5 run game and replace him with the starter unless you absolutely have to do it. I didn’t see the play but one of the Phils’ beat writers mentioned that they may be looking for a new catcher for at least a bit.

On the bright side he was 3-6 today and helped the Phils to a 5 run lead in the 9th over the Braves. Even in Philly, Wil is still doing work for the Nats.

• natsfan1a - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Yeah, doesn’t seem like a good sign for him.

That said, atta way, Wil (for helping to beat Atlanta) and atta way, Cubbies! :-)

• RPrecupjr - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:45 PM

And it’s a final: Phillies 10, Barves 5. It was very difficult to root for the Phillies this week. I even said “Go Phillies!” out loud last night and my mother was ready to call an ambulance ;)

In other news: Final score – Cubs 6, Marlins 1.

GO GIO GO!!!

And GYFNG in addition to Gio!!! It’s time to create some space betweens us and them other guys!!

• natsfan1a - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Yes, I was going to type “go, Ph…go, Ph” earlier but I couldn’t get it out. Go, Phblppt!

• natsjackinfl - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Saw the play. He rounded first on a stand up double and to me, it looked like his right knee gave out a little.

Needed to be helped off the field with out using his right leg.

• natsfan1a - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Thanks for the eyes-on report, natsjack.

2. chaz11963 - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Wow… Braves swept by the Phillies… at home!

Marlins lost again to the Cubs.

Go Nats… great opportunity to push out further in 1st place.

3. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM

With Barves and Marlins losing this afternoon, Nats guaranteed sole possession of 1st place going into tomorrow.

It would ve great to see Nats sweep this series today going into Thursday vs Barves.

4. adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:52 PM

A nice afternoon for our Nats already — with the Braves and Fish already losing.

I see Harang in coming back to earth — giving up 9 runs (8 ER) in his five innings.

Braves were 1-7 RISP.

That’s a three game get-sweeped-at-home for them (at the hands of the last place Phils!). Their last 15 games they’ve gone 5-10.

I expect the LoD to go over to Atlanta and tell them that they are choke-meisters and their season is over, right?

• ArVAFan - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM

No need for our LoD to go over there . . . I’m sure Atlanta’s LoD is out in full force!

• natsfan1a - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Yeah, I’m sure Atlanta’s group is posting “negative” words over on the Tweeter. ;-)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I wish they would go over there.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I liked “choke-monsters” better.

• Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I like it too, but I’m having trouble getting a mental image of it.

Am I supposed to imagine a monster choking someone else? Or choking himself? And if the monster’s just going to choke himself, how scary can he be?

“Yes, Hiram, there’s a monster hiding in the closet, but don’t worry, because when I turn out the lights, he’s just going to choke himself.”

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Ummm, I was just about to google “choke monster” when I realized that probably wasn’t such a good idea.

• Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Three words (well, four and a hyphen):

Barney. Auto-erotic asphyxiation.

I have my mental image now!

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:49 PM

There was an hilarious X-Files episode where Peter Boyle plays a psychic who sees how people will die. (Yes, I know we can’t even see the topic from here with a clairvoyant.)

Clyde Bruckman: You know, there are worse ways to go, but I can’t think of a more undignified way than autoerotic asphyxiation.

Mulder: Why are you telling me that?

Clyde Bruckman: Look, forget I mentioned it. It’s none of my business.

• unkyd59 - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Heheh… Giving Ol’ Spooky somethink to worry about…on so many levels…lol

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM

This one has a certain je ne sais quoi, but I don’t know what it is.

5. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 3:55 PM

@jimcallisMLB: 3rd-rder Jakson Reetz signs w/@Nationals for $800k (pick 93 value = $567,300). Best all-around HS C in @MLBDraft”

• texnat1 - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Does Reetz project at catcher or do they move him?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:31 PM

He’s a hitter which is why they drafted him. Way too early to tell but look at top teenage catchers Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper.

Glad they got Reetz signed quickly. His stock jumped in showcase events this Spring to where at the Draft he was #33 High School. guy.

One of the best barrel-up batters for the High Schoolers. Can’t teach that. High ceiling.

Didn’t get a lot of early hype being in Nebraska and the quality he faced.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:36 PM

He pitches, too, in the low 90s. Baseball America had him in the top 50. (scroll down or just search the page)

49. Jackson Reetz, c/of/rhp, Hickman (Neb.) HS: An offensive star of the 18U USA Baseball squad that won a gold medal this summer, Reetz has shown the ability to hit in games, as well as the tools and athleticism to stick behind the plate.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:40 PM

One scout I trust sees him as a RF with his athleticism and arm. Like I said, Werth and Harper. Werth started in the Minors at catcher and eventually moved to OF. Could be the same path for Reetz.

The day he signed his potential college coach knew his program just lost a future star.

Can’t wait for NatsJack to report in on these youngsters.

6. Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Would be nice to see an early lead tonight, and let Gio settle down and lighten up.

Snarly Gio isn’t very fun–or very effective.

7. letswin3 - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I just wanted to take a minute to thank Bowdenball and Sofa for explaining to me why my pipedream of engineering a trade with the Astros to get Altuve is just that …. a pipedream. You guys were convincing, and I understand, but it sure would be nice to have someone like him at second base. In the meantime, lets find a way to win tonight and then at least 3 of 4 against Atlanta … the Braves look to be human these days.

PS: Roark sure is a scrapper …. he just finds a way, and I respect that.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Not sure if it was you, but someone wanted to trade JZim straight up for him a month ago.

I’d like to read Bowdenball and Sofa’s responses if you can copy and paste.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:43 PM

from yesterday’s game post comments:

letswin3 – Jun 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM
        Two thoughts: 1) you gotta take em one at a time, but I can’t keep myself from looking around the corner to the big 4 game series starting Thursday, and 2) I also can’t stop imagining the impact that a big multi-player trade for Altuve would have on our entire team (for both the rest of this season and beyond) …… he would be a much improved second baseman bat in the order, a viable leadoff guy to replace Span next season (maybe even this season), a legitimate threat to steal bases ….. what would the Nats have to give up to stimulate the Astros interest in a trade like that? T Moore, Span (the Nats would have to pick up a big part of his ’14 salary), pitching prospect/s? If Span were to be included, it would open up the permanent LF spot for Zim this year, with Harper moving over to Center, and it would move Danny back to the bench …. lots of very positive outcomes for the Nats.

bowdenball – Jun 17, 2014 at 5:27 PM
        You’re not even close on what it would take to get Altuve. He’s young and under club control for the next several seasons. He’s the kind of guy a contender trades to a rebuilding team to get a contributor, not the other way around.

letswin3 – Jun 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM
        Do we have enough pitching prospects to get in a discussion with them about him?

Sec 3 My Sofa – Jun 17, 2014 at 6:39 PM
        Think of it like this: what would it take to get Rendon?
        ————————————————————————————
        by which I meant to emphasize how the Astros probably value him, not a direct player-player comparison.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Thanks.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:24 PM

It was a little over a month ago, May 31, and it was stoatva, not letswin3:

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Let’s try that again:

RE: TRADE ZNN FOR ALTUVE:

It was a little over a month ago, May 31, and it was stoatva, not letswin3:

• bowdenball - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM

More realistic dream … dare I say … Chase Utley?

I really don’t think they’ll make a move at 2B though. As long as Espinosa can keep his OBP within shouting distance of .300, his defense and power make him worth keeping in the lineup. When Ramos comes back they can push him back to the 8 spot, where he’ll draw a lot more walks and get that speed on the bases more often.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Well, Utley is hitting .301/.362/.477 at the moment, just 5 HR playing half his games in Philly. ‘

Just makes it even harder to find a place for Harper.

And I’m not sure Danny Kaye would draw that many more walks hitting 8th. If he had that discipline he wouldn’t need to hit 8th.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Neil Walker is now my target but Aaron Hill is a temporary fix who is on age regression.

Chances are Nats will wait.

SFG is rumored to be targeting Utley.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:04 PM

nonsense….There is no justifiable reason to keep lefty espi in the lineup.
        The Nats will put zimm at third to have lefty espi sit….now that’s despi-ration

8. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Interesing note ifrom the Phills/Braves game in that neither Upton started.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:34 PM

JUpton was under the weather and BJ Upton stinks.

BTW, Giancarlo Stanton hurt his wrist and came out of the game.

• bowdenball - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:35 PM

JUpton left last night’s game with dizziness. I haven’t heard anything since, so I’m guessing it was just the flu or something. Any further word?

9. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:38 PM

There you go

“@AdamKilgoreWP: Matt Williams changed course on what happens when Harper returns. He laid out a scenario where players move based on rest, matchups, etc.”

• Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Will be interesting to hear a fuller version of what MW said.

And then, of course, it will interesting to see if that’s what he actually does.

• RPrecupjr - Jun 18, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Do we need more proof that Matty reads NI? ;)

• Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Exactly.

People talk about MW as a rookie manager, but do they stop to think how much advice is available these days absolutely free on the internet?

Casey Stengel never had it so good….

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:05 PM

The Ol’ Perfesser had to make do with barbershops and taxis.

• natsfan1a - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM

HH and Sofa are en fuego.

• Section 222 - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Sounds like the 308 plan, Option 4.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I don’t know Option 4 but I think MW is going to try to convince Ryan to play a few times a month at 3rd as that’s the best option to rest Espi and Desi without having Frandsen play 2nd or 3rd.

10. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Responding to above re: Jakson Reetz. Positions for HS players can always change, but he’s projected to be a guy that stays behind the plate–unlike a guy such as Harper. He’s viewed as a plus defender back there. It can change, but I think they’ll try to keep him there.

• letswin3 - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I watched a couple of his hitting videos ….. looks like he has a quick bat.

11. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Speaking of catchers, interesting that the Loboton is getting another night off.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Little known fact: Leon hasn’t been held hitless in a game since May 3.

OK, so that only means he has a three game hitting streak, but that’s probably longer than many of the regulars after getting so thoroughly shut down in St. Louis! ;-)

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:14 PM

OK, here’s what I suspect is the real reason — FP just mentioned it. Leon caught Gio’s the last time Gio pitched a great game.

12. NatsLady - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Did any of the scenarios involve Ryan Zimmerman at third base? Asking for a friend.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Read between the lines. Ryan is saying it and people aren’t hearing it, but as people are saying you would rather have Span over Espi. This wiggle from MW sure changed quickly from last week’s quote. He doesn’t want to go back to 3rd and ALR is firmly entrenched at 1st.

Options are Ryan plays 1st on days a lefty pitches and LF most of the time. I think MW really wants him to play 3rd a few times to get the best offense on the field. If RZim agrees to that then you can come up with several scenarios.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:58 PM

“asking for a friend”?

Hah! That sounds like Ryan himself is trying to discretely get some information! ;-)

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM

yes…lefty espi must sit

13. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Here’s a cute little video on Jakson Reetz:

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Interesting–he says he’s trying to learn to switch-hit.

14. natsfan1a - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM

The truth is out there…

• natsfan1a - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Which was supposed to appear after sofa’s 5:49 comment. Thanks a lot, Word Press. grrrr…

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM

trust no one

15. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Good to see Gio back, but I’m glad he’s catch g the Stros and not the Braves, even though they just got whooped by the Phils.

16. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:08 PM

pitch #1 BALL

17. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Leadoff walk. Welcome back Gio.

• nats128 - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Altuve, what are you thinking after a walk. To funny.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM

GOT LUCKY GETTING A DP

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Didn’t expect that result. Gio isn’t exactly a doubleplay type of pitcher.

What do they say, “Make your own luck”

18. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM

8 pitches to Fowler and then Altuve and Springer go 1st pitch swinging. Thank you. 10 pitch inning.

19. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Welcome back Gio… Uhm, I thought Span was safe…

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Replay showed you were right, Mrsb.

20. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I Love Johnny Holliday but I can’t take him. He’s asleep at the wheel.

• Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:28 PM

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Would like to see Mike Wallace up there….
      “back in 74, Bill Virdon put me to pitch against Bill Freehan with the bases loaded…now Bill Freehan was a big….yada, yada, yada, and we lost

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Oh I’ve heard.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I’ve never yada’d losing

21. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Grossman has no arm.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I was screaming don’t tag, don’t tag.. Lol, yeah that was terrible…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:29 PM

That ball carried. Off the bat I thought medium depth.

22. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM

nice start. 2 zip would be better.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM

They worked him good. 1 run is better than 0 but that had the makings of a big inning. 2 costly K’s.

23. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:31 PM

High stress inning for Feldman. 25 pitches and counting.

24. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM

A manufactured run with the BB, steal infield base hit, sac fly. A lot of pitches thrown in the bottom of the first (26). Ugly K by Ian.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Gio keeps going to the curveball against Singleton. Walks him. Sheesh. Dot the outside with the fastball and changeup.

25. Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Was Desi recently knighted and I missed it?

That tat on his left forearm looks like a coat of arms.

Hadn’t noticed it before yesterday.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Yes, he is Sir Ian Desmond to you, Herb

26. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Throw strikes , GIO damn

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:36 PM

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM

2nd time he walked the Leadoff batter…. He loves to nibble…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:42 PM

He certainly does. It drives me crazy. If you are facing Giancarlo Stanton, fine. These guys don’t warrant nibbling.

27. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Gio pitches some of these guys like they are Barry Bonds and others he attacks. Singleton and Fowler are not Barry Bonds.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Why do you think it’s that rather than the fact that, it being Gio’s first game back, he doesn’t have full control?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM

This is how Gio pitches. After watching a rotation of guys who attack batters, this is just a stark reminder of what Gio is.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Point taken. But I think there’s a bit of rust tonight, also.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Sure, I’m sure there is but instead of all of those curveballs to Singleton, throw the fastball and changeup outside.

28. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM

it’s hot. Gio should be Loving this

29. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Thank you Bo Porter.

30. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I didnt think it was a good jump….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I 100% agree. I don’t know what FP was talking about. He was frozen until Gio released to home.

31. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Gio is the beneficiary of some nice defense covering his back for the walks he is giving up.

32. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:42 PM

good call Espi

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:56 PM

All you guys that are saying Espi should bunt more — you’re right.

This was his *seventh* bunt hit of the year!

33. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Nice hit Span….

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM

A walk, a hit, 2 SB’s and a run scored, all in the first two innings.
      It sure seems like the Nats should be up by more than 1-0.

34. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM

When Span gets on we win. Hope the same for tonigyt.

35. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Jeez, this is a tough crowd tonight. Did Gio kick your dog or something?

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Naw, Gio tried to kick his dog but missed.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM

His dog loves to play BALL

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I’m glad you said that.

After all, this is his first game in a month, and gets through the first two innings with no hits — and folks are complaining about his control.

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Well, for the record, my dog comment was said with my tongue firmly in cheek.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:01 PM

(I just have a porblem typing sometimes . . . )

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM

And 4 K’s in the first nine batters.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:00 PM

no porblem Seamhead — I wasn’t referring to that comment ;-)

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I never understand comments like this… To point out someone not doing as well and making comments about the totality of his work that isn’t necessarily always peaches and cream… Why does it have to be an extreme like this…

Gio does nibble… Gio has allowed all 3 Leadoff batters on base…. Sure he has 4 Ks but why does it have to just be the positives that are written about…

36. adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 7:57 PM

New game high for the Nats this season: 3 SB in one game. All in one inning.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM

The Nats have stolen 4 so far.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM

A record never to be broken.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Until the next stolen base ;)

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I thought Span and Rendon each had 2 steals. I think that makes 4 unless they ruled Rendon’s second steal indifference.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Make it 5.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I think you’re right. It’s possible that when they had three it was already a new high for the year.

37. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Seems like the Nats should be up by more than just 1 run…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM

The Nats will be in the Astros bullpen early.

38. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM

That was…. Uhm… Weird…

39. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM

That steal by Werth is a Web Gem! The throw beat him, but he made a great dance move to avoid the tag!

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM

His trademark pop-up slide! Wow. And, thanks to Desi, it gets us a run.

40. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

That’s the swing right there that Desi needs to try to maintain. Great swing.

41. masterfishkeeper - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Not so sure he avoided it, but Bo didn’t challenge.

42. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Great swing Desi…

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Desi came through, but between the steal, and his base running from second, Werth deserves a ton of credit for that run.

43. janebeard - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Johnny holiday is an idiot. Was Desi “like that in OAKLAND?” How does he still have a job?!?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Read my notes above. This is just above and past him.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:32 PM

That’s said. He used to be a good radio guy . . . . (did he do Terps football?)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Football and basketball for the Terps. That’s where he’s good.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Is he still? Calling basketball on radio seems way much harder than baseball.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I believe so.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM

it was a trick question.
      And he still has a good head of hair.

44. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Gio has walked three guys now, but they’re putting good ABs on him too. You can’t really do much about an 11 pitch walk. He made good pitches that Altuve failed off. Came close to freezing him on a curve, but just missed. It’s not like he can’t throw a strike to save his life.

45. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM

These leadoff walks are getting my blood pressure up.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

He hasn’t gotten the Leadoff batter out yet…

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM

You gotta credit that to Altuve — Gio threw 7 strikes in that at bat! The first was a swinging strike, and then there were six foul balls. An 11-pitch at bat.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Too much nibbling. Make him earn his way. Now look at the mess.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:32 PM

He fouled off six pitches — that was nibbling?

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:33 PM

And certainly the hit batter wasn’t a result of nibbling!

46. adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

News you’d never think you’d hear — on multiple levels:

Royals complete a three game sweep at Detroit (including beating Scherzer and Verlander), to extend their winning streak to 10 games, as they take a 1.5 game lead in the AL Central over the Tigers.

47. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Don’t meltdown, Gio

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM

too late…

48. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM

It was gonna come back and bite him eventually…. Can’t keep giving free bases..

49. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM

It’s official…..Gio is now our #5.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:36 PM

I expected him to have some issues coming back… Kinda like Fister did… But goodness…

• David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Yeah, based on 3 games. This is his first start off the DL and he’s still doing a lot better than Fister after they missed a comparable amount of time. He had an ERA of below 3 prior to the game in Oakland. Relax.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM

You really think Gio is going to eventually pitch better than Fister and Roark? I don’t.

• David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Since 2011, Gio has a 3.24 ERA, Fister has a 3.28. I’m not cherrypicking years, 2011 was Fister’s big breakout year so I’m doing him a service by choosing 2011. Go back to 2010 and it’s 3.24 to 3.46. Or if you want more recent, last year it was 3.36 to 3.67. By virtually any measure, Gio has been as good as Fister or better. They’re pretty close.

As for Roark, talk to me when he does it for four straight years. Gio has a track record. To blast him like people are because of a few awful starts when injured is really puzzling.

• knoxvillenat - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM

After Gio’s second rehab start at Potomac I made some comments about his tendency to walk a lot of batters and you suggested that rehab games don’t mean much. I would agree that the big picture view would be for a player to get his work in as that is the purpose of rehab. However a pitcher cannot be effective when he continually gives up free passes especially to lead off batters, and he can’t be successful if he is constantly pitching behind in the count. Gio still has a lot of work to do in my opinion.

• David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM

I didn’t mean to imply that Gio doesn’t walk a lot of batters. He does and always has. My point was that the results of rehab games don’t matter and they don’t, regardless of what happens tonight. Fister was good in his rehab and got shelled his first time out. There’s no correlation. Hitters go 0/10 in rehab and then mash when they come back. It’s like ST in that guys are working on things.

Just because Gio had a poor rehab doesn’t mean this game is a result of that or not enough time there.

• knoxvillenat - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:01 PM

David, I agree rehab results mean little , I’m not disputing that point with you. My point is that Gio has to cut down on the walks, he can’t continue to pitch behind in the count and he has got to stay away from putting the lead off man on base so frequently.

As the late George Bamberger (and others I’m sure) used to say, work quickly, change speeds and THROW STRIKES!

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Treinan number 5 in my book. gio is number 6

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM

HE IS NOT A NUMBER! HE IS A FREE MAN!!!

50. joemktg - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Granted Springer has wheels, but that throw from Zim was hanging up.

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I wasn’t going to say anything, but honestly? I don’t think that their second run scores if Harper was in LF.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Yep — I mentioned earlier today that I saw RZ bounce to throws to cut-off men last night.

51. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM

is Detwier warming

52. scnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Well it didn’t take long for Gio to run out of gas.

Lead off walks. Just plain stupid.

53. nats128 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Leadoff walks, hit batters. Just hand them freebies.

54. kirbs3256 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Hopefully Stammen can come in and do his thing for 2 and change. There will be no excuse if we can’t put up a few more runs on these guys.

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:44 PM

The Nats should’ve plated more than 2 runs in the first two innings.

55. kirbs3256 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:41 PM

And i’m certainly glad he came back against Hou and not the Braves.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Good point. He’s been playing with fire all night. The doubleplay and the caught stealing bailed him out in innings 1 & 2.

56. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:41 PM

4-2. Not the end of the world, but that was an ugly inning.

57. scnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Leon just appears to be a waste of a roster spot. Ramos needs to get and stay healthy.

58. rmoore446 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I was surprised that Gio batted. I expected a PH but MW must be trying to conserve his bullpen. But still a surprise after his troubles in the 4th.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Big surprise. A head scratcher. 1 extra inning for Detwiler or Stammen today shouldn’t be a big deal.

• knoxvillenat - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Unless he has a real short inning I bet we don’t see him in the sixth.

59. 9rhrssy01 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM

What do we think of the trade for Gio now that Millone is part of the A’s rotation with a 5 and 3 record and Derek is batting around .300 and is the regular catcher?

• David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Lol. It’s still a great trade. Did you think we were the only guys who would get anything out of it?

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:59 PM

No way the Nats would’ve won the NL East in 2012 without Gio. Keep that in mind with your hindsight.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Indeed. In 2012 he led the NL in wins, 3rd in Cy Young, All Star, 8th in WHIP, 6th in ERA

• secretwasianman - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM

And no way is GIO a Cy Young candidate without the clinic in FL

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:01 PM

The 28 year old Gio is 35-20 (.636), ERA of 3.29 thus far with the Nats

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM

What is the problem now then?

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Read the papers lately? This is his first game back in a month after shoulder inflammation. Is anyone in the world surprised that he’s a bit rusty? Remember Fister’s first game back?

60. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:50 PM

What percentage of fans at that park watch the game while at the park
    There must be a cheaper way to have a beer with friends.

61. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I am not surprised Gio is out there…..

62. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:56 PM

If the BP is rusty… Was kinda hoping people would get some work… Still can happen of course… But again, I’m not surprised that Gio is still out there.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:57 PM

got some work last night

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM

I think every right hander in the BP pitched last night, no? Clearly, don’t want to do that two nights in a row right before a 4-game series with the Braves.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Not everyone.. And seeing as how I said earlier, I was trying to remember most folks last time out and the BP seemed rusty yesterday, dont see anything wrong with the Rey of the BP getting some work today…

Who knows, maybe a Loogy is used tomorrow…. You just never know…

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:26 PM

wellll…the bullpen will be used tonight…no suprise..sub-optimal for the 4 game series against the Braves

63. rmoore446 - Jun 18, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Great read by Werth saved Gio that might have scored another run but the gamble of sending Gio back out paid off. Thankfully.

64. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:03 PM

How many times has Gio gotten into a big jam and then got out of it? It was the fourth inning. Yes, the bullpen is fresh. But, you went to the bullpen early yesterday because Roark only went five. Clippard pitched a very long inning and may not be available. There are no off days coming up, the next one is in 11 days. The Braves are in town tomorrow. If you ask for another 5+ innings from the ‘pen, it’s going to be shot for this weekend. All of those things go into not pulling Gio for one really bad inning. Plus, you don’t want to pull Gio at only 60 something pitches, you need to stretch him out some so he’s good to go deep his next start.

Fans want the bullpen up any time a pitcher gets into a jam. You have to let them work out of it in the 4th inning. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Whoa, there, dude — you’re thinking ahead?! ;-)

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM

and sometimes they get reinjured stretching them too far.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I seem to remember Fister being pulled after 4 in his debut off the DL.

65. manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM

This Gio is exactly what I saw in Potomac.

I don’t see that the shoulder is any different than before.

• nats128 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM

The Haren treatment.

66. rmoore446 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM

David, I would have felt the same way if Gio was not coming back off an injury. I don’t favor a quick pull in normal circumstances. They were teeing off on him and he looked lost. It worked out. I’m glad.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Thing is… No one should be surprised that Gio wasn’t pulled… Forget the BP and all the other stuff people on here are saying… There is nothing in MW’s repertoire that said he would favor any of his pitchers getting a quick hook…

I mean, we can go back to last night when Roark was laboring… He stayed in…

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Same reason — why blow your bullpen in the games right before the Braves if you don’t have to.

Even with Roark staying in for longer than you’d like, the Nats still used every right-hander in the BP.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:26 PM

It’s not the same reason and has nothing t do with the BP… Again, MW has shown his penchant for not pulling his starter as he gives them every chance in the world…

And by giving an inning to a member of your BP… You’re not ‘blowing your BP.’

67. manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:16 PM

When is the last homer by this team? Wednesday in San Fran?

Gio might be looking bad, but the hitters need to get their act together.

Let’s win this thing and gain a game on the Braves. Is that asking to much? I don’t think so.

• Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM

the hitters need to get their act together

C’mon. No homers but the hitters were fine last night, against one of the hottest pitchers in MLB–9 hits and 4 doubles last night. And 7 hits in 5 innings tonight.

68. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:21 PM

DP, Fister got mashed by who? Oh yeah, the A’s. Wonder what the score would be right now if this were the A’s…..

• David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Why in the world does that matter? The A’s aren’t out there tonight. What Gio would or wouldn’t do against the A’s doesn’t matter as to whether he stays in or not against the Astros.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:28 PM

You’re the one that brought up the amount of runs, right?

• David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM

…yes. Gio gave up 4 runs. Fister gave up 8. That’s the difference between staying in and not. The opponent is irrelevant.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Both performances were equally bad. That is thepoint.

69. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Good inning Det…

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Not a frequent occurrence this year.

70. senators69 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:24 PM

I see so many comments looking back on Gio’s history with the Nats. Yes, it’s been excellent, BUT that does not mean he returns to that form now. As you guys know, if a pitcher is injured in certain manner, sometimes their pre-injury form never returns in spite of modern medicine.

So either Gio returns to form now or later this year, or, not, and it’s the beginning of his down phase.

How much $ and years are left on his contract??

• Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Or maybe he scuffles all year long and comes back in 2015. Who knows?

Some folks seem awfully eager to write him off….

71. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Comeback time. It’s go time!!!!

72. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Unreal…..2 basehit bunts tonight. Nice stuff.

73. adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM

He’s got two more years guaranteed.

Well, yeah. But you could say that with every pitcher that is coming back from an injury, no?

74. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM

8 bunt hits for Espinosa ties him………wait for this……….with Billy Hamilton for the MLB lead.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM

against a guy with a .455 BA against leftys. I’d have him swing away and show off some of that powero i hear so much about.

75. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Wow! Flying pigs! Danny Espinosa showing that he can still learn. Getting hits by bunts vs. striking out is a huge improvement, both for the team, and for his own stats.

76. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Look at MW leaning on Det for possibly 2 innings… And with the opposing team only up 2….

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

he had a good inning, no.. I would preserve the guys who pitched last night if at all possible

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Yes, he did have a good inning…. I was thinking that Det ticked MW off, course…

Just surprised he is coming out again..

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:47 PM

understood now.

77. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM

WTF? Why is Span going for 3rd?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM

BTW, bad read and angle by Springer.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Obvious. You know that rule: never make the first out or last out at . . .

oh . . . wait . . .

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Yep. And now to see the replay of the poor baserunning where he stopped after 15 feet from homeplate. smh I can’t take this stuff. Way to cost your team.

78. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Why get greedy there Span?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Exactly and with Rendon on deck. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM

not goodm but good hit.

79. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Never make the third out at third, Denard.

80. Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Yeah, Espi!

Span – thanks for knocking him, but …

81. secretwasianman - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM

GIO had a bad inning. But once again our big guns fail to deliver when it is needed. So really poor ABs tonight.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Have you noticed that there are still three innings to play?

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM

where you been ?

82. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Bah… Not the best base running.. Too aggressive….

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM

His mistake was out of the box, but that was good defense by the Astros on the relay.

83. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

No shame on Denard for getting out at third. Danny’s BH bunt and Det’s sac bunt worked out great.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Ehh, I dunno. He would have been in scoring position with Rendon at the plate.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM

And he slowed down a bit when he thought Springer was going to catch it.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Come on Joe. That’s a cart full of manure and it stinks.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:45 PM

respectfully disagree.
        A little harsh on Span and Frandsen after getting hits.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:47 PM

The RBI was great. You still have to play smart baseball. That wasn’t smart baserunning. He hesitated watching the ball and there were 2 outs. You stop at 2nd unless you have a standup triple.

84. manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Span got a RISP. Would been nice to be safe, but……

Score again next inning.

85. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Plenty of game left to get this done. BP just needs to hold em.

86. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I’m amazed that Det is out there….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM

With a 1 run game, MW better have a short leash. I’m surprised Bo Porter left in a pitcher with no career at-bats. I don’t know the dynamics of his bullpen but wow.

87. Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM

You wanna bunt? Bunt that!

88. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Come on Detwiler. You pitched a nice 6th. Leadoff walk?

89. rmoore446 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I am a Gio fan and assume he will be a fine pitcher for the rest of the year and in future seasons.

That said, I have for months almost always avoided reading game threads during the game. A good policy for me and so I leave it with you fellow Nats fans. I’m going to concentrate on cheering the fellows on and leave my commenting to post-game threads.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

sorry to see you go….enjoy the game

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Well, welcome to the Bad Marriage portion of tonight’s show.

I hate it when they argue in front of the kids…

90. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Well FP just told us, nobody throwing in the Nats bullpen.

91. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:40 PM

why must it be span vs espi undertones as overly harsh critisizm for Denard after driving in a run.
    Who’s more valuable lefty espi or lefty denard at bat. And do you really want to lose one of the best cf gloves in the game…To me the choice is clear

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I’m a Span supporter. But I’m not thrilled at this baserunning in the last at bat.

OTOH, yes, he got the 1st hit / RISP in this game in a while — gotta give him credit for that.

Hopefully with 2-3-4 next inning we can get something going.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM

fair…I don’t like the word dumb, but i’m a bit sensitive on some of the labels.

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I said right away that his mistake was out of the box. But why did he go to third? Because he thought he had a good chance to make it, and he was making the Astros make a perfect relay to get him. Should he have gone? In hindsight, of course not. But Steve, you are constantly down on Span, to a point of being jaded. The guy has gotten on base 3 times tonight, had 2 steals, scored a run, and driven in a run. Like I have said twice, he should’ve run hard out of the box,but I personally am not going to beat him up for it.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Who said that? I scanned the comments.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I’m questioning the harsh judgement and labeling of Span and Frandsen…Good for them is not bad for Danny.
        Just like good for Danny is not bad for Span and Frandsen.
        Teamwork at work.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:56 PM

OK

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I missed this…

92. manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Walking a .170 batter. Hard to explain.

93. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Thanks Det. sheesh. stupid

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:49 PM

no ball left the infield this inning . . .

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I thought that was a passes ball… Should have been caught….

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Either way, a bad pitch

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I’m not blaming Det for that…. So we will disagree..

94. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:48 PM

What in the hell was that…. Det looked scared to be anywhere in the vicinity…

95. Danny - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Why can’t this clown throw strikes..

96. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:49 PM

B bullpen looking like a B bullpen….Cat is not happy

97. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:49 PM

That’s how leadoff walks bite you in the behind.

98. adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM

You know, Det got the two out grounder from Altuve . . . but the ball wasn’t hit well enough and he beat it out.

That’s just bad BABIP luck.

• NatsLady - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:53 PM

That doesn’t excuse walking the lead off batter (No. 8), wild pitch, late covering home, hitting a guy…

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:58 PM

So do you excuse Gio for walking 3 Leadoff batters (other 2 hit him up)….

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM

No, it doesn’t. Not making excuses. Just bemoaning the fact that with two outs and no runs in he actually got a grounder to second. Sigh . . .

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Not covering home promptly was inexcusable. That’s called a crappy attitude from where I come from.

99. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Get Detwiler out!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

100. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:53 PM

“The wheels have come off the horse before the cart for Ross.”

101. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Can’t walk a .170 batter Ross. That was your 1st mistake. Your 2nd was the Wild Pitch and your 3rd was the HBP.

All in all, you are forcing Rizzo to do something he doesn’t want to do and that is trading you.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:55 PM

don’t want to sell low.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Instead, keep losing games where he pitches! Great plan.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:56 PM

3rd was standing the wild pitch. Had he broke home immediately possible out.

Lack of hustle not a good thing.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Stinks giving that run back. Need a spirited comeback here.

102. manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:54 PM

How is det still here?

That wild pitch a perfect example. Doesn’t immediately go home. That is pure hustle.

103. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 9:57 PM

But I think some teams are desparate enuf to give Det a starters chance

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM

He’s not a starter though…

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

not here anymore,although he was considered a possibility in Spring when hope is eternal..but the Yanks are desperate enuf and they have plenty prospects…just give us one of their 4 in the top 100.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I think he should be traded… But he can’t get buy on 95% fastball… Had he worked on other stuff this off-season, the powers to be would have more faith in him…

Don’t pout about being a starting pitcher… Put the work in…

Dude can barely get thru a line up the 2nd time and is done the 3rd time….

104. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Rendon. Bet you all wish he had Span on base.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Stop beating me

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

LOL, he had to be said. That’s why it made it so dumb. You have to give Rendon a chance. Not much difference standing on 2nd or 3rd.

• coop202 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:02 PM

He wouldn’t have gotten that pitch. Stop being obnoxious about that

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Really, are you saying they were going to intentionally walk him?

The guy is an excellent hitter. I would have taken a single and kept the line moving. That’s the point.

What was Span going to gain by advancing to 3rd? Not much except the Wild Pitch/Passed Ball or infield hit scenario.

• coop202 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Worked out alright for Houston. Yes I would’ve loved a two run homer. No a single followed by a werth fly out would probably have left us in the same place. Id rather focus on detwiler not covering than span trying to make something happen

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:06 PM

105. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Hmmmmm…..just think if Span had stayed at 2nd

106. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM

The wild pitch hurts now.

107. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Astros A bullpen is their B bullpen

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Agreed

108. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Rendon now in the 10/5 Club. That’s 10 HRs and 5 SB which could be a 20/10 Club if he keeps this up.

109. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Meh… We don’t know if Rendon would have hit the hr with span on….

BT that run Det allowed… Yeah, it hurts….

• coop202 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Agreed

• coop202 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Starting to feel h-rod like sadly

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Coop, sadly I can see the comparison but Ross is better than this. He needs to get his head together. Walking Grossman just can’t happen.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Damn.. That hurt my feeling… Lol…. But yeah, I can see that….

110. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Bo Porter screwed up big time as I mentioned when Zeid stepped to the plate. He had never had a MLB AB. That K really hurt them. The guy pitched last night. He has some fresh arms. Now he pulls Zeid with no outs and man on 1st.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I don’t know the state of Houston’s BP, but I do know that they used 5 relievers last night.

111. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Need to at least tie this game this inning w a man on 1st no outs.

112. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Yesssssssssssss

113. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Jayson Werth with great baserunning. This guy is just a gamer.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Look at that replay. Fowler jogs to field the ball. Wow, just wow.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Most of the time.

114. manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Werth reads balls off the bat great. Rarely misreads them.

115. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Bo Porter must believe in using the entire 25 man roster every single night.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Yeah . . . I don’t recall often using a LOOGY for a single batter as early as the 7th inning when there is only one guy on base.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I wonder if he really wants to beat his former team

116. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM

We bout to score t least 2 runs this inning….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Hoping for more. Got to get greedy here.

117. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Damn this game is long….

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Mr. Clutch ID

118. nats128 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Time for the Nats to snap the Astros necks here.

119. nats128 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Productive out. Good job.

120. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM

There’s 1…

121. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:13 PM

That was better than a sac fly, actually.. It traded runners. Zim is a much better runner than ALR

• nats128 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM

122. nats128 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Laroche could have been called out there for a doubleplay as he slid wide of the bag.

• RPrecupjr - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM

No, he was well within reach of the bag and that’s what the rule is. If he slid so wide that there’s no way he could have touched it, they’ll call it, but his left hand practically slid over the bag.

• nats128 - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:13 PM

It is still a judgement call and not reviewable. The Nats won a game this year called on a similar play.

123. David Proctor - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Can Espi make contact?

124. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Way to go Ryan and Desi. Great slide by ALR.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Was nervous he was gonna be called for a DP…

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM

So that was a very close play at third with Desi advancing on the sac fly. If he had been tagged out before the run scored….aggressive base running giveith and aggressive base running takeith away.sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Again, 2 outs. Have to be conservative.

125. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM

makes sense to put Danny on and set up the DP,

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM

at home

126. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Bo was willing to go 2-0 on Espi with 1st base open.

127. Danny - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM

My nightmare.. Hoping espy makes contact with man on 3rd less than 2 outs..

• coop202 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I love this comment

128. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Need to pinch hit for Leon.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Beat you to it FP.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I go with Dobbs here. A batter who gets them in the air.

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM

good call, ghost and FP

129. Danny - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Pinch hit with Nate the Great!!

130. Drew - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Johnny Monotone is as exciting as a librarian on quaaludes.

131. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Wow… Interesting…. Drama….

132. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Great at bat…..

133. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Why are you tagging Desi WTFFFFFFFFFF

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM

What were they thinking? What were they doing?

• nats128 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Good question.

134. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Nice shot there Nate

135. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Desi… Desi… Desi….

136. manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Good job McOut

137. Danny - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Tough luck Dobby the house elf.

138. veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Mission accomplished….we have the lead.

139. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Good managing that Pinch-hit by Matt Williams. Many managers wouldn’t do that in the bottom of the 7th.

140. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Tyler ?…worked hard last night.
    This 8th inn designated pitcher BS

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Yep, you have Blevins. Use him. You need Clippard against the Braves.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Braves own Clippard… So idk about that….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Yah, good point.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Or, perhaps between Clip and Store — he’s thinking: use Clip tonight, and save Storen for tomorrow?

• coop202 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Id think he’s saving storen

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM

You all are probably correct on Storen.

• Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I think Clip needs to work more.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:33 PM

He actually only threw 19 pitches (remember: 3 hits in the first 4 pitches) — which is not trivial, but only three more pitches than Storen threw

• dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM

didn’t realize that..My girlfriend and I were leaving as I felt kinda sick after downing a half smoke all the way washed down with a Shake Shak Concrete…We sat down in CF to watch the rest of the game unfold before further unpleasantness ensued.
        Too old for stadium food.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Yeah I was surprised by that too — it certainly *seemed* interminable at the time!

141. Danny - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Why not go Storen here?

142. adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Trivia: the only two times the lead off batter has not gotten on for the Astros are the K by Detwiler in the 6th, and the fly ball here in the 8th by Clippard.

Whodathunkit?

143. adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM

1-2-3 by Clip.

• NatsLady - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM

OK, we off Clipp’s case now?

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

yeah, where did those guys go?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Ya know… It’s okay for people to not like some of the players on the team… It really is….

144. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM

There’s the Clip we know.

• coop202 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Confidence booster

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I’m still not a fan… I’m surprised when he has clean innings.. So yeah, today is a surprise…

145. manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:29 PM

As I said last night Clip would do alright tonight.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM

I thought Matt wouldn’t push him after the long inning last night.

• veejh - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Gotta love that magic 8 ball

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Huh? You are being humorous now, right?

146. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Looking like a 1-run tucker.

147. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM

And … tuckenitup here, boss.

148. adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM

By the end of this game (depending on what other players are doing in other games), Span may be around top five or eight in NL for doubles and runs scored.

149. adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Hmm, 6-5 against Houston, top of the 9th, and Soriano coming in.

Where have I seen that before . . . ?

150. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Throw strikes Raffy… Let’s do it!

151. philipd763 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Too bad Rizzo hung onto Detwiler way too long. Now, he has no trade value.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Yep, he didn’t see all this coming. He could have cleaned up on some good prospects.

152. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Soriano hangin them high
    / prefer the lowball soriano…lets go dude

153. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM

What a slider by Soriano.

154. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Raffy has been flirting with dead red all season… More noticeable lately… But he has… Kudos for putting up the good numbers that he has….

155. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Great jam pitch on Fowler.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Soriano kept pumping strikes in that 3-2 count. That was really nice.

156. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Altuve is like a pest that just won’t go away.

157. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM

God that throw….

I can’t even form a negative opinion about Altuve… Just doesn’t work…

• coop202 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Harper for him? Solves all problems ;)

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Scott Boras would NEVER take another call from Rizzo, ever, if they traded Harper to Houston.

158. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM

holy moley…Zimmerman must have been positioned in the bullpen,,,,now that’s no homers defense

159. manassasnatsfan - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM

If Altuve hit against every team like he does the Nats no one would remember Tony Gwynn. He is not easy to get, but hits against the Nats even better.

• adcwonk - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:52 PM

He does lead all of MLB in hits

160. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Come on Rafy, slider out of the zone to get him to chase.

161. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM

His sinker is sinkin nice tonite

162. Hiram Hover - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Untuck. Unclench!

163. Joe Seamhead - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM

YOWSA!

164. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM

That was a really nice save. He had to face their best hitters. That battle with Fowler was key.

165. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Alright now….

166. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM

PONCHE SORIANO!

Untucked.

167. dcwx61 - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM

A well earned untuck!!!!
    The value of the bullpen
    Wait till Atlanta gets a hold of Znn and this bullpen after the phils…shocking

168. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Did we already discuss Werth’s popup “age & treachery” slide at second? I loved that move.

169. scmargenau - Jun 18, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Wow. What a game. Missed the thread but caught the game at the locall pub…a total team effort.

Game takeaways:
    Det concerns me.
    Zim still looks good in LF
    Span lack of hustle could have cost us.

170. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 18, 2014 at 10:28 PM

LOL. Matt probably had already told McLouth to get a helmet.

Once I saw that Farnsworth was pitching around Espi to load the bases I think Bo didn’t think Matty would do it.