Game 71: Braves at Nats

Jun 19, 2014, 3:29 PM EST

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

It’s been two long months since the Nationals and Braves squared off, as they each played six of their first 12 games of the season against each other. Now they go at it in a midseason, four-game series that could vault either team into a commanding lead in the National League East.

Jordan Zimmermann (5-3, 2.98) will get the first crack at a Braves lineup that has the second lowest runs scored in the majors this season. Zimmermann faced Atlanta in his first start of 2014 when he allowed one run through five innings but took the loss. He has eight career starts against the franchise and holds a 3-1 record with a 2.98 ERA and 45 strikeouts in 45 1/3 innings.

The Nationals – winners of two straight – will go up against Annapolis, Md.-native Gavin Floyd (1-2, 2.98). Floyd has six career outings against the Nats, holding a 4.45 ERA across 32 1/3 innings.

We may have some thunderstorms tonight, so let’s hope the weather holds up. Check back for updates…

ATLANTA BRAVES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS

RHP Gavin Floyd

UMPIRES
HP Tim Welke (cc)
1B Todd Tichenor
2B Clint Fagan
3B Mark Carlson

7:19 p.m. — There was nothing going for either team in the first inning, as each pitcher tossed a perfect frame. Zimmermann needed only nine pitches, while Floyd tossed 11.

7:39 p.m. — The second inning saw both teams get a runner on base, but no runs scored. The Braves got Heyward on with a bloop single to left field with one out. He may have been aided by a poor read by Zimmerman, who stepped back before running in to field the ball. The Nats got LaRoche on with a walk with no outs, but a Zimmerman GIDP and a Desmond strikeout ended the inning.

7:54 p.m. — We are still scoreless (and dry) through three innings here at Nats Park. The Braves went down 1-2-3 against Zimmermann who has now thrown 38 pitches. Espinosa led off the bottom half of the inning with a single, but that was it for the Nats. Floyd has thrown just 33 pitches.

8:10 p.m. — The Braves broke through with two runs in the top of the fourth to take a 2-0 lead on Zimmermann and the Nats. Freeman, Gattis and Heyward singled to load the bases before Johnson poked a single into center field to score two. Zimmermann is at 59 pitches.

8:26 p.m. — Both the bottom of the fourth and fifth innings saw nothing at all for the Nats on offense. Floyd is now through five on 50 pitches. Yea, 50 pitches.

8:41 p.m. — It is still a 2-0 game after six innings as both teams got one baserunner on, but no runs. Heyward walked with two outs for Atlanta and Span doubled with two outs for Washington. Zimmermann is at 75 pitches while Floyd has thrown just 63 pitches.

9:12 p.m. — No more runs in the seventh inning, but we did see Floyd leave the game. He was removed with an apparent elbow injury during the first at-bat of the bottom of the seventh. He returned this season from Tommy John surgery, so that’s an ominous sign. He was pitching very well before Anthony Varvaro replaced him. Jerry Blevins will now take over for the Nats to start the eighth.

9:33 p.m. — The Braves announced that Floyd left the game with posterior swelling in his right elbow. He is getting X-rays done now and will be evaluated further afterwards. As far as the game goes, the Braves added a run in the top of the eighth on a Chris Johnson single off the knee of Blevins. Johnson came up with runners on the corners and one out. He hit a line drive that bounced off Blevins’ knee and past a diving Rendon into left field. It could have been much worse as Aaron Barrett later walked Simmons to load the bases for a pinch-hitting Justin Upton. It’s now a 3-0 game, though, as Espinosa will step into the box.

9:52 p.m. — The Nats got nothing off Jordan Walden and the Braves only got a two-out double off Craig Stammen. Craig Kimbrel will now enter the game looking to close out this 3-0 game for the Braves. Span is set to lead off.

10:05 p.m. — Kimbrel shuts the door as the Nats fall to the Braves 3-0 to begin their four-game series. Nationals are now 37-34 on the year.

1. thelatencn - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I’d like to pick up on the earlier thread about who goes where when Bryce (and, tho no one mentioned it, Buffalo) comes back.

Set aside for a minute the obvious fact that there is no reason to expect there won’t be more injuries to deal with as the season progresses. Then think back to Spring Training days, when we were giddy with excitement about a potential lineup that went something like this:

Span – CF
    Harper – LF
    Werth – RF
    Zimmerman – 3b
    Ramos – C
    LaRoche – 1b
    Desmond – ss
    Rendon – 2b
    (pitcher)

I still want to see that lineup for as many games as possible. We were hoping, and none to sure, that Espinosa would make an adequate fill-in at 2b or ss. Now we know we can be a first-place team with him in the lineup.

More good news: we now know that Zim can play not only 1b, but also lf. So utilityman Espinosa actually gives more options than we even planned on, since he can be the fill-in guy when any of the position players (except at catcher) needs a rest. For an outfielder, you simply move Zim to left and Harper to right or center as the situation calls for. For LaRoche, move Zim to first. In either case Rendon takes over for Zim at 3rd and Danny plays 2nd. If it’s Rendon of Desi who needs the rest, Danny simply subs for him directly. The same scenario applies to late game defensive substitutions (so, for example, you can get Zim out after he bats in the 7th or 8th inning, and have your best defensive team on the field late.

Like I said, I want to see my above lineup (or at least those 8 players in some order or at some position) in as many games for as many innings as possible. But I’m loving the flexibility we will have. Loving it.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Flexibility now, logjam when Harper returns. Still not a bad problem to have.

• kirbs3256 - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I just don’t know about Rendon hitting 8th. He loses so many at bats that way…I would be interesting if Span hit 8, flip flopping between Werth, Bryce and Rendon leading off. Just a thought.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:50 PM

• emw2u - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Okay

This is pathetic. My team consistently bends over against a couple of teams that don’t deserve mention this year but ,we all know who they are. Almost every player deserves to be called out for their nutless lack of poise and ability against these teams.

I will always watch, root, and attend (when I can) my Nats but I’m mad as hell! Injuries be damned! Enough already, particularly against this middle of the road team from Georgia. RZ, why the hell are you swinging on the 2nd pitch with O out and a man on !st when he’s struggling to find the strike zone. That’s dumb or lack of awareness of the situation.

This is a fake offense. It’s okay usually against middle of the road competition, but they pee their pants against a couple of uniforms and they haven’t adjusted. It’s time to call them out for their lack of club house leadership, poise, and approach . Maybe it’ll toughen up.

Need to be smarter, better, and show more poise. When you been a sissy for so long, I guess it’s difficult to not give you lunch money to the bully. I don’t want to hear that I should be supporting my team. I am. It’s time to make our veterans, and coaches uncomfortable before it’s too late.

2. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I assume you mean Espinosa could play second or short, and they’d shuffle Rendon to cover second or third, since Danny has only ever played 2b and ss professionally. Yes?

• Eric - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I think he means, Espi is the substitution cornerstone. If you assume the positions listed in thelatencn’s post, the ability to put Espi at 2nd means Rendon can go to third and let Zim rest; let LaRoche rest and Zim to 1st; let Harp rest and Zim to LF; let Span rest, Zim to left, Harper to center; or let Werth rest, Zim to left, Harper to right. He can also sub for Desi at SS.

Although, when you break it down like that, it’s moreso the flexibility of Zim and Harper that makes it all possible.

3. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I’m still trying to talk myself into this, I think, but I’m starting to come around.

Rendon is a much better third baseman now than Zim, so by putting Zim there, you weaken the defense significantly. Rendon is good at second, but not quite as good as Espinosa, so you weaken it there, too, although less so. But Harper is a better outfielder than Zimmerman, so you have strengthened it there, albeit in the least-important defensive position on the field. Let’s say it balances out 2nd base. But you’ve also added Harper’s bat for Espinosa’s, and that’s got to be worth something, but maybe not as much as you lose by putting Zim at third for Rendon; in any event, it’s maybe this isn’t as bad as I feared. I still don’t like it as much as Plan E, but that’s not going to happen, and I know it.

• RPrecupjr - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:27 PM

I’m not sure I agree with “Haprer is a better outfielder than Zim”. He most certainly has a better ARM, we all know that, but what have you seen from the way Zim plays the position that makes Harper a better alternative? Given Harper’s penchant for somewhat risky play (see: walls, running into), I think Zim actually plays the position better.

In addition, our pitchers are about 50/50 groundballs/flyballs. This is why you have your strongest defense in the infield, which means Rendon at 3rd and Espi at 2nd. As I said, Zim _fields_ LF just fine, in fact, I would say without fear of contradiction, better than Willingham or Dunn ever did. If anything, you sit LaRoche against a tough lefty and put Zim at first, where his fielding will be a plus and his arm a non-factor. It’s why _I_ play first :)

So what DO you do when Harper returns? If we’re lucky, and he returns before the ASG, he can DH in the two games in Baltimore on 7/9/ and 7/10. Then we shuffle the outfield around for the three games with the Phils before the break. Then, as I’ve mentioned before, Jayson takes a needed vacation to rest that barking wrist of his, which takes us to the beginning of August. Obviously this is all dependent on no further injuries requiring lineup/position shuffling. Once Jayson returns tanned and rested, we’ll have seen how things have shaken out. Have teams all run crazy on Zim’s arm (or lack thereof)? If not, then I think it becomes a four-man rotation in the outfield.

It seems very clear to a number of us, that Zim is very uncomfortable returning to third base. He knows what his limitations are, and he doesn’t want to be put in the position where he could be hurting the team when he’s on the field. Another thing to give consideration to is Zim at the plate, if he’s trying to make up for issues in the field. We’ve seen it before, he starts pressing to make up for errors. And with guys like Gio and (still, to some extent) Stras, who seem to get overly rattled by errors, especially on routine plays, the safe place for Zim is in left field.

• Hiram Hover - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Coupla-three points:

1. It’s way too early too arrive at any definite conclusions about Zim’s OF defense.

2. I don’t buy the idea that returning him to 3B will tank his offense. He was on fire in the early weeks of the season, despite his defensive woes at 3B. If anything, his offense has been sub-par since he returned and got stuck in LF. (I’m not claiming cause and effect, but if you’re going to argue it, that seems to be the more plausible connection.)

3. If he can play *some* 3B–not full time, but some–it could make things a lot easier on the team. And so they have an interest in seeing if he can play 3B at acceptable if not GG levels, at least on occasion.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Harper has a couple of years more experience than Zim, but neither one of them is much at hitting a cutoff. I think Harper is faster than Zim, and therefore should cover more ground. I think he’s probably a little better coming in on balls, but Zim seems to be getting the hang of that. I think Harper used to run into walls; I hope he’s done with it. And as you said, there’s the arm. They are both still learning.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:15 PM

But to answer your question: What would I do? Plan E is to keep everybody where they are, Harper phases in slowly as the 4th OF and def. replacement; McClouth is the lefty bench bat, and Dobbs takes Frandsen’s old job with the Iron Pigs.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:59 PM

With NCN lineup, you also have +CF compared to Harper in CF

So lets do the numbers
      O/D
      2b: Espi –/+ Rendon ++/-
      3b: Rendon E/+ Zimm E/-
      LF: Zimm E/- Harper E/+
      CF: Harp +/– Span -/++

O/D -1/-1 O/D +1/+1

Overall O and D are strengtthened with the NCN lineup over Espi is a regular.
      Quid pro Quo

4. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Justin Upton is out of the lineup again. Still feeling dizzy.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I haven’t been following; any idea why he’s having that?

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM

As the little boy in “Kindergarten Cop” said, “It’s probably a tumor.”…..”It’s not a tumor!!!!!!!”

Please don’t fry me for posting this.

• Hiram Hover - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Speaking only for myself:

I think hyperbolic, doom and gloom statements are fine–so long as they’re about the opposing team.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:06 PM

HH….hope you’re not trying to lump me in with the DnG crew. I’m more upbeat than most, the only difference being I have no issue skewering players or moves being made.

• Hiram Hover - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I think blaming dizziness on cancer would qualify as D&G, but I took it as a joke, and was playing along.

But if you were being serious….

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Fair enough.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Too much time on the couch, sofa

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:10 PM

So, can anyone tell me why JUpton feels dizzy?

• Danny - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Good news for Clippard.

5. natsfan1a - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Go get ‘em, Bulldog! You, too, er, rest of the team!

6. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM

From 2 threads ago about the must win/team ownage convo….I wonder how the Giants feel about the whole “team has our #” thing.

• Hiram Hover - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Giants are, what 2-8 over their last 10?

Everybody has their number–it’s been written on bathroom walls all over mlb.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Everyone has their number since 2012?

7. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:12 PM

David DeJesus fractured his hand going for a ball at that the wall.

• NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I thought he said he fractured it on a check swing. I wonder if he knows when it happened.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM

He smashed into wall on Davis grand slam and kept playing.

8. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Anyone watch Mark DeRosa on MLB Network a few minutes ago? He doesn’t think RZim should go back to 3rd. I think the word “should” is interesting. He didn’t say “wouldn’t”. He then said he wasn’t sure the Nationals want him playing 3rd.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM

This would equal a Span trade should be made. That stupid McLouth $5M deal sucks.

• jd - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

And yet everyone thought that Mc.Louth was the perfect bench signing. It’s nice to have 20 20 vision after the fact.

• Faraz Shaikh - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:49 PM

It happens

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I’m 100% guilty on that. I marked him for hire in October. I didn’t think they would do more than 1 year.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I’d wait until the evening (to quote Robert Cairo’s The Power Broker) or october before we conclude that the McLouth deal was a bad one.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:15 PM

He’d have to go on a major tear to turn his season around.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM

true…
        Career numbers are .247 BA, .333 OBP
        I’d call it neutral if he gets his OBP up from .297 to career numbers

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:11 PM

it will be…It’s starting to be.
        Everyone thought Werth would not be the perfect starting RF signing at first.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Myself, being one of the ones in support of the deal, especially after our disastrous 2013 bench #s. Ugh.

• jd - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I think that’s a fair statement.

I will be interested to see when Harper gets close and goes on rehab does Zim start taking regular infield practice at 3rd or not? I think that will be very telling.

• jd - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I,m not sure the Nats want Harper in center either. I still think that the master plan has Zim at 1st but I don’t think that happens until next year.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Absolutely. RZim becomes the permanent 1B in 2015. Werth moves to LF. Not convinced Span’s option is picked up.

• jd - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Ghost,

Me neither about Span. I go back and forth about Span, he’s so streaky. I don’t think you can give the job to Goodwin based on how he’s doing at AAA. I am not yet sold on Taylor either. We might just pick up Span’s option and push the decision out 1 more year.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Ghost, I still like your idea about picking up a starting 2b for next year….someone more consistent than Espinosa with Rendon at 3b

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:03 PM

First, he won’t be the everyday 3rd baseman. He’ll be playing as much LF and some 1B than 3B, probably more of the former than tha latter.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:08 PM

dcwx61, I think to get everyone into the game that Ryan could do just that.

9. edshelton2013 - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I love ALR but we need to move him before the trade deadline while his value is high. Let’s face it–Zimm’s future is at 1B and he’s signed long term.

• jd - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM

You never know. It might just happen. Don’t expect much in return though. You are talking about a 3 month rental.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Not out of the possibility, but I put this at a 5% chance.

• jd - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I agree. Not many teams in contention are looking for a new 1st baseman. Unless someone comes down with a long term injury I don’t see the market there at all.

More likely. We mix and match provided everyone is healthy. Go with the hot hands with occasional days off especially for the veterans.

• Faraz Shaikh - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM

You can’t trade a productive piece from a contending club. Makes no sense whatsoever.

• jd - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Basically, I agree !!

• adcwonk - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Agreed. If he’s gone next year then it’s sort of like -we- are having ALR as a short term rental. Which makes perfect sense because he leads or close to leads Nats in WAR, SLG, etc.

• realdealnats - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Span will be here for the next few years.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Highly unlikely Ed…You don’t shake up the clubhouse if you’re playing well and you lose a lot this year (eg: Defenses and O this year) if you lose ALR.

10. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM

• Faraz Shaikh - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Hey NL, wanted to know what kind of Clip gear you have? Any custom made? If so, from where? Thanks!

• NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Hi, I just have a Clippard jersey, which he signed, and a baseball that was specially painted for me by a local artist. I got the jersey from the team store, it’s not a custom item. There is a picture of the baseball on my Facebook page. :)

• NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Oh, and a regular baseball which he also signed.

• Faraz Shaikh - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Thanks! I thought you would own glasses like his. :P

• NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Oh, I never thought of that! Will look into it.

11. Faraz Shaikh - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Defense and rest are very important but offense is more than the rest. At this point (given our inconsistent performance at the plate), I say let’s go with best possible offensive lineup in each game. Players slump and need rest all the time. All this flexibility along with matchups can give us potentially a very good offense. Can’t wait for everyone to be healthy again.

As far as tonight’s game is concerned, I feel confident with JZ on mound. Can someone please check Freddy’s stats against us last couple of times he has faced us? I feel like he has done well against us despite that overall big era.

12. Another_Sam - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:44 PM

How quickly we’ve forgotten: HARPER IS THE LEFT FIELDER. He’s not a utility player. Zim, for better or worse, is the third baseman – for a few more months.

• jd - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM

another_Sam,

If it was that simple they would have put Zim at 3rd when he came back from injury, moved Rendon to 2nd and inserted Mc.Louth in LF. I don’t think Espinosa’s bat in the lineup dictated the moves they made. I think it was more a desire to not play Zim at 3rd.

• Another_Sam - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:55 PM

If McLouth hit like Zim or Harper they’d have done that, yer. I’ll stop now. Haha.

• jd - Jun 19, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Another_Sam,

Mc.Louth would have replaced Espinosa in the lineup not Zim or Harper so I don’t understand your point.

13. therealjohnc - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Here’s food for thought on the “the Nats MUST win [x] games this weekend or [doom]” doscussion from the earlier thread:

The Nats have lost five of six against the Braves in 2014 … and are in first place by 1.5 games, That’s a fact.

What the Nats need to do is finish the 162 game season with a better overall record than anyone else in the NL East. Would that be easier if they play better than .500 against the Braves? Oh God yes. Am I saying it doesn’t matter if the Nats lose this weekend? C’mon, man. No. But the first 70 games of the season prove that the Nats can finish ahead of the Braves (or behind them) no matter what happens this weekend. It’s math; it’s not hard.

• adcwonk - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Hard to argue with simple arithmetic like that!

14. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM

RZim on with Verducci.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:14 PM

To summarize, Ryan described keeping Rendon at 3rd and Espi at 2nd as the best defensive infield and then described himself in LF as average to above average.

They say Harper can play all 3 OF positions.

• Faraz Shaikh - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Above average? Come on. More like top 5.

• natinalsgo - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Ryan knows how Washington DC works. He’s being a politician. He tells you the best defensive alignment in the infield which leaves Ryan talking about his own qualifications (above average). Odd man out in his scenario is Span.

• 6ID20 - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Zimmerman isn’t writing the scenarios. Williams is.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Pen to the lineup card, yes. Reality is Ryan has earned the right to asked for a preference. Rizzo will also be watching this carefully.

15. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Braves call up Juan Jaime. He was once a Nats farmhand. Read the bottom of the BA Hot Sheet from 2012. He’s a flamethrower.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM

hopefully the HROD type but doesn’t look like it

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:29 PM

My hope also. They called up Shae Simmons from AA a while ago and he’s been one of their better relievers.

16. realdealnats - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Got the bull dog on the mound, and Harper and Ramos still closing in on re-joining the team. I got a good feeling about the game tonight.

17. realdealnats - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Maybe McClouth is going through what Werth went through his first year here.

18. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I never thought I would say it “Welcome back Bob Carpenter”. Keep my main man Johnny Holiday in the post-game booth.

• knoxvillenat - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:29 PM

You could switch channels and watch the Barves television network. I’m blacked out on MASN so I have no choice, except to turn the sound down and listen to Charlie & Dave which is delayed from the TV coverage.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM

You definitely have to turn on Charlie & Dave.

19. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:09 PM

What a 1st inning!

20. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Jason Heyward has a .340 OBP. I’m glad they moved him back in the order and moved up LaStella. LaStella has been super lucky with his BABIP and the lack of scouting on him has helped bolster his stats.

21. dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Braves, 2nd worse offense in the NL! That’s what too many K’s bring you….the loss of luck from the BABIP

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Thus once you do give up a hit, just buckle up and strike them out.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM

lol

22. dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:35 PM

These braves don’t look as good as the Cards. Cards starting pitching better and offensively, Cards are stacked with the killer Matts.

23. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:36 PM

“@ZuckermanCSN: Not a great read by Zimmerman on that broken-bat blooper to shallow left field. Again, the kind of thing you just can’t practice in BP.”

As a veteran player, I think he’s heard plenty of broken bat sounds but not standing in LF. Hope to see improvement on that.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM

24. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM

JZim’s bunting technique is the way the Cardinals teach it in the Minors.

25. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Nothing hit hard. 4 singles. BABIP bad luck returns.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Bad luck? Once guys are on you need to put the strikeout hat on. That is not bad luck.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:09 PM

He’s trying to induce the inning ending doubleplay ball.

• IsawTeddywin - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Incorrect, all hit hard except heywards, just thru holes on the ground. Danny should have stopped the scoring hit, but he slowed down to step on the bag instead of making sure he had the ball first. Trying too hard. Might not have gotten the double play anyway.
      Eh, if he hadn’t made the first play, would have been 5 hits in a row, so can’t fault him too much.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Hard hit grounders still have to find holes.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Also suprised Danny didn’t get to it

• IsawTeddywin - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM

I was wrong. Earlier saw a ground level replay and looked like he was stomping the bag.
        Arial view shows him well behind 2nd, just couldn’t get to it.
        Note that I don’t particularly believe in BABIP luck, good or bad. Good hitters “Hit ‘em where they ain’t”.
        Only luck involved is how good the defense is.
        Hate losing to braves, hate looking helpless against them worse.

26. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Where I am I cannot see the game can only read what is going on. What is the deal in the 4th where everyone is singling?

27. David Proctor - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:07 PM

2 runs is not the end of the world. If we can’t score two against them, we didn’t deserve to win anyway.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Always against the Braves. 4 hits that all found grass. I was surprised that Span couldn’t get to Heyward’s. Figures.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:15 PM

If you give none you cannot lose.

Correct two by itself is not bad. But one of my goals would be never give up a run until after we scored.

28. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Damn he didn’t learn from the last game. Do not give up the first run.

29. sunshinebobby - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Why can’t we get to this chowski, Floyd?

30. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Is Floyd this good. I don’t remember thinking he was any good. He is their weakest pitcher

• Faraz Shaikh - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Did anyone check his numbers against us? O recall he had two very good starts against us last two times we faced him.

31. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Maybe someone a hell of a lot smarter than me can explain what our issue is against the Cardinals and Braves.

Our ERA is better than both teams. We score more runs than both team. However when we play them they out score and pitch better than us.

What is the deal?

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:25 PM

mental advantage

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Then we need a mental coach.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:28 PM

i think the cards are legit and are starting to peak with the big boys returning from injuries.
      Nats appear to be pressing against mediocare Atl starters (Julio Tehrehen is purrtty good). Maybe too concerned with their bullpen as when you play the braves and cards you got to get to their starters cause their bullpens are good. Nats have been winning a lot by getting to the other teams weaker bp.
      Pure speculation backed up with no facts.

32. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Desmond now tied for 4th in ks now. I don’t recall him being this pathetic with strikeouts before. Or do I have selected memory.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM

he led the league in Ks with 189 two years ago.

• Section 222 - Jun 19, 2014 at 11:45 PM

That was Espi, not Desi.

• dcwx61 - Jun 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM

yes. must have misread the post

33. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Time for a spirited Nats rally.

34. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Please score runs. I can’t take another Braves loss.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I don’t know about you, but I’m hoping for a Braves loss.

35. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I am not sure why we press so much . Just get base hits. Don’t need 5 run homers all the time.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:46 PM

THe game is 90% physical..The other half is mental

36. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM

FP “No need to gamble on a triple with 2 outs”

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Esp since no one in the lineup can show some power except for our weakest power hitter
      We will not get shutout by Gavin Floyd.
      We will not get shutout by Gavin Floyd.
      We will not get shutout by Gavin Floyd.

37. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Span cones up in scoreless game man on second. Can’t get a hut. Two outs no one on a double. Pressing.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Of course man on base, just need a single, and another out.

Floyd 1 win in 9 starts,

38. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Subdued bunch tonight. Blah.

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Not much to cheer about yet.

39. sunshinebobby - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:49 PM

In the “It gets late early” department, we basically have six outs to work with. Because we all know we’re not doing anything with lights-out closer Kimbrel, even though he’s been ratty lately.

40. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Against BJ?

41. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Looked inside and high

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Looks can be deceiving. ;)

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:58 PM

are we planning to get some runs now. if so get the hits now

42. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Wow, Floyd’s bottom lip is quivering. Oh my.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:59 PM

You could tell immediately that wasn’t good by the look on his face.

43. kirbs3256 - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Man, you got to wonder if he came back to soon? They said he went out 5 starts into the season last year and had TJ.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Who knows. Maybe scar tissue. Maybe the flexor tendon. He was spinning a lot of curves. That puts stress on the forearm and elbow.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

The guy is hurt and we couldn’t get hits?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM

He was dealing until that pitch to Werth

44. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:59 PM

my at bat says injury delay. Who?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Gavin Floyd

• sunshinebobby - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Floyd. He jacked his arm throwing a pitch to Werth. Immediately came out. Dr. Andrews, on Line 2

45. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:01 PM

We may have just witnessed his last pitch. Hope he’S ok , but I think he might be done, done.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Many in the Twitter world had Wainwright set for pasture. He may be back for his next start.

46. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Note to the MLB, don’t handle your TJ pitchers like the Braves do.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:12 PM

They push their pitchers hard. Short-term gain is what they like. Venters, OFlaherty and so many more in the bullpen who had arm issues. Kimbrel can’t be too far behind given his use, breaking pitches and age.

• kirbs3256 - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:14 PM

YOur dead on about Kimbrel. They have burned him up.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Correction…, do not handle your pitchers like the Braves do.

47. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:07 PM

lets all get hits. 0 for 2 RISP is not out playing BRAVES

• dcwx61 - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Sadly, I only have respect for the way the braves organization is run…Consistently finding great arms for the last 20 years. If it wasn’t for their fans and the darn chop, they would not be so hated.

48. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Bad BABIP luck again for the Nats. 3 right at Simmons. If LaRoche pulled to the rightside, then maybe Werth scores on RZim’s grounder.

Have to score Werth there.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:13 PM

ALR didn’t pull it . Go figure.

49. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I do believe it is almost all mental here.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Looks that way tonight. Guys talking to themselves. They don’t look confident.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:22 PM

We just need to go in knowing we can win. They seem to not understand how to do that.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Leadoff double by Werth. Stranded at 2nd with the middle of the order. LaRoche didn’t do his job. That changed the inning.

50. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Unreal, Gattis grounder finds the hole.

51. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:18 PM

zimm held a man!

52. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Need a doubleplay here off of Johnson’ s bat.

53. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Last 32 innings Zim has pitched, he has given up 3 runs.

Unless we come back. Will be 2-2.

Hitters should be embarrased though on no interview have ever got ton a feeling any player is ever embarrased about poor performance.

Most of us would be embarrased if we did our jobs poorly.

54. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Now who is the injury delay for.

Blevins hasn’t looked good it appears

55. scnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Freaking Nats just can’t stand prosperity. Have to struggle.

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM

The game is as much mental as physical, and we need to approach much tougher mentally than opponent.

• scnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I do too. I used to enjoy the game more when we were losers, now I find myself frustrated 50% of the time.

56. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Blev ain’t nothin but a LOOGY

• manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Unfortunately MW refuses to use him correctly.

57. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Booooo!!!

58. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM

On my pitch track none of Barrett’s pitches were close.

59. Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:31 PM

JZim pitched well. Had that one inning that everything seemed to find grass. Nats need 4 to win this thing.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Seemed like every ball we hit found a brave… And then when it’s their turn, it finds space…

Not happy with this product tonight at all….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:38 PM

That’s how the night has gone. Nats no matter what go into tomorrow in 1st place.

60. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I have faith that we can still get this done.

61. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM

At the game… I mean the braves out played the Nats and it’s not like they were really spectacular… Hard to see this pathetic display…

62. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM

It is time to put hits together.

zim pitches great in 4 games and the hitter betray him.

63. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Will Ramos be ready next week?

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Sure does seem likewe win ahelluva lot more when he’s in.

64. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Just keep it at three, Craig, so they use Kimbrel. If we’re going to lose one, this is the best one to lose, get Clip and Sori rested.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Braves own Clippard. No matter

• NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Really? Barves against Clip, career: .186/.283/.360. Barves ERA against Clip (career) 2.87

But this one would have been really tough if we were leading 3-2 and had to use Clip and Sori for the third straight game.

• veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Career ? How about lately?

65. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Their Leadoff guy has gotten 5 chances tonight… Ours 3… Sigh

66. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I knew we weren’t going to sweep them… Just go out tomorrow and get the W…

67. NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Good job, Mr. Stammen!!! Also great job, Mr. Barrett. Now, let’s wear out Kimbrel.

68. emw2u - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Okay

69. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I believe in miracles….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I do. Nats are still in 1st place. Take that Braves!

• NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:02 PM

And they are still going to be in first place after this game, no matter what.

70. sunshinebobby - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:55 PM

This isn’t a bourbon-and-Maalox game.

It’s a bourbon-and-bourbon game.

• NatsLady - Jun 19, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Chardonnay for me. Gotta take the kitties to the vet tomorrow.

71. veejh - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Depressing.

72. emw2u - Jun 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM

To my team:

You got punked again. Look in the mirror RZ, ID, etc. Do you hate losing enough? Are you tired of pissing your pants against this pedestrian team?

Maya Angelou: When somebody shows you who they are, believe them.

I hope we can turn this around tomorrow.

73. Hiram Hover - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Are you this premature in everything you do?

74. manassasnatsfan - Jun 19, 2014 at 8:35 PM

You realize they play better when you are gone. You promised you were gone til Monday.