Jun 24, 2014, 3:51 PM EST
Outfielder Michael A. Taylor and right-hander Lucas Giolito were selected as the Nationals’ representatives at next month’s All-Star Futures Game, confirmation of both prospects’ development and performance this season in the minor leagues.
Taylor, who plays at Class AA Harrisburg, and Giolito, who plays at low-Class A Hagerstown, were named to the U.S. team that will face a World team July 13 at Minnesota’s Target Field, two days before MLB’s All-Star Game.
The 23-year-old Taylor has been tearing up the Eastern League, hitting .333 with 17 homers, 52 RBI, 19 stolen bases and a .997 OPS in 70 games with Harrisburg. The lanky center fielder, the Nationals’ sixth-round draft pick in 2009, has already established a new career-high in home runs while raising his OPS more than 200 points over its previous high mark.
Taylor is a candidate to be promoted to Class AAA Syracuse at some point this summer, as well as a candidate to play center field for the Nationals sometime in the not-too-distant future, with club officials debating several long-term possibilities beyond this season.
Giolito, 19, will be among the youngest and least-experienced players in the Futures Game. He’s one of only two players on the U.S. roster who have yet to advance beyond low-Class A, along with Orioles pitcher Hunter Harvey.
Drafted 16th overall in the country by the Nationals in 2012 despite the knowledge he had an elbow injury, Giolito had Tommy John surgery later that summer but has come back strong in his first full season since recovering from the torn ligament. The 6-foot-6 right-hander, whose fastball has topped 100 mph, sports a 2.59 ERA and 52 strikeouts in 48 2/3 innings at Hagerstown.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos