Jun 25, 2014, 1:25 PM EST
The Nationals announced four roster moves on Wednesday afternoon, including the release of oft-injured pitcher Christian Garcia and the call-up of right-hander Taylor Hill from Syracuse.
In order to make room for Hill on the roster, the Nationals designated bench player Greg Dobbs for assignment. Second baseman Jeff Kobernus replaced Hill on the roster at Triple-A Syracuse after being reinstated from the 60-day disabled list.
The unconditional release of Garcia ends a once promising stint with the Nationals. The two-time veteran of Tommy John surgery was a great story in 2012 as he made his MLB debut at the age of 26 after years of battling injuries to his right arm. He came up with the Nationals to make 13 appearances and even pitched in the NLDS against the St. Louis Cardinals.
Garcia was expected to be converted to a starter the following season before injuries stalled his career. He made 10 appearances with Syracuse this season and held a 2.45 ERA before the Nats cut him loose.
Dobbs was DFA’d after batting .214 through 21 games with the Nationals this season. He was replaced by Hill to give the Nats another relief pitcher after their bullpen was exhausted in a 16-inning win over the Brewers on Tuesday night.
Hill joins the Nationals having gone 9-2 with a 1.92 ERA at Syracuse this season. The former sixth round pick in 2011 is 25 years old and has a 3.38 career ERA in the minors.
Kobernus comes off the 60-day disabled list after recovering from a broken left hand he suffered in the second week of the season.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'