Jun 26, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
CHICAGO — Wilson Ramos, as planned, was activated off the 15-day disabled list today and will be behind the plate when the Nationals open a 4-game series with the Cubs tonight at Wrigley Field.
The oft-injured catcher missed the last two weeks with a hamstring strain — his third in two seasons — but emerged from four rehab games with Class AA Harrisburg and Class A Potomac healthy and ready to return. He flew to Chicago on Wednesday and joined up with the rest of the Nationals, who wrapped up a 3-game series in Milwaukee earlier in the day.
Ramos had six hits, including two homers, during his brief rehab stint. He also legged out a double at Potomac on Monday, though he was cautious all along not to push himself too hard given his longstanding leg injuries.
The Nationals would like Ramos to be careful the rest of the season, not taking many chances on the bases, and he said he will adhere to that plan, recognizing his importance to the lineup.
Having also missed five weeks with a broken bone in his left wrist suffered on Opening Day, Ramos has played in only 24 games for the Nationals so far this season. He returns with a .261 batting average, one homer, 11 RBI and seven doubles.
To make room for Ramos on the active roster, the Nationals optioned fellow catcher Sandy Leon back to Class AAA Syracuse. Leon has hit .169 with one homer and three RBI in 18 big-league games this season.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)
- NL East: Marlins interested in adding another starting pitcher
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Ben Revere fill void left by Span?