Jun 30, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
The Nationals made official on Monday the activation of Bryce Harper from the disabled list, setting up his expected return to the lineup after missing more than two months with a torn ligament in his left thumb. Reliever Xavier Cedeno was sent down to Triple-A Syracuse as the corresponding move.
Harper has been out since April 25 when he tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his left hand while sliding into third base against the San Diego Padres. He had surgery to repair the ligament on April 29 and played five minor league rehab games this past week to complete his recovery.
In those five games split between Single-A Potomac and Double-A Harrisburg, Harper went 9-for-14 with five home runs, 11 RBI and nine runs scored. He capped off his rehab assignment with a three homer performance with the Senators on Saturday night.
Harper will join the Nationals with a .289 average on the season through 22 games. In 91 plate appearances he has one home run and nine RBI on the year.
Through three MLB seasons, Harper holds a .273 average with 43 home runs in 279 career games.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'