Jun 30, 2014, 2:49 PM EST
The Nationals made official on Monday the activation of Bryce Harper from the disabled list, setting up his expected return to the lineup after missing more than two months with a torn ligament in his left thumb. Reliever Xavier Cedeno was sent down to Triple-A Syracuse as the corresponding move.
Harper has been out since April 25 when he tore the ulnar collateral ligament in his left hand while sliding into third base against the San Diego Padres. He had surgery to repair the ligament on April 29 and played five minor league rehab games this past week to complete his recovery.
In those five games split between Single-A Potomac and Double-A Harrisburg, Harper went 9-for-14 with five home runs, 11 RBI and nine runs scored. He capped off his rehab assignment with a three homer performance with the Senators on Saturday night.
Harper will join the Nationals with a .289 average on the season through 22 games. In 91 plate appearances he has one home run and nine RBI on the year.
Through three MLB seasons, Harper holds a .273 average with 43 home runs in 279 career games.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres