Jul 2, 2014, 5:32 PM EDT
Though he’s batting sixth for the third consecutive night since coming off the disabled list, Bryce Harper will move up in the Nationals’ lineup at some point this season, manager Matt Williams insisted today.
Still fielding questions in the wake of Harper’s controversial comments Monday in which the 21-year-old outfielder openly disagreed with his manager’s lineup decisions, Williams further attempted to diffuse the situation by talking up Harper.
“If I was him, I’d want to hit third or fourth, too,” Williams said. “Who wouldn’t? So it’s taken as it’s taken. But I’ll tell you this: It would be beneficial, I think for everybody, to just see how it plays. Because I don’t anticipate Bryce Harper hitting sixth the rest of the year.”
Williams’ rationale for keeping Harper down in the lineup for now: He doesn’t want to put extra pressure on a player who just missed nine weeks with a major wrist injury.
“There’s a number of reasons for it, but first and foremost is: He’s just coming back from injury,” Williams said. “So, does he hit 2 for us? Yeah. Does he hit 3 for us? Yeah. Does he hit 4? Yeah. Maybe not today. But he will. And it will be this year.”
Harper did bat second in the Nationals’ lineup 10 times in April before getting hurt, though he hit sixth in his final two games before going on the DL.
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs