Jul 5, 2014, 11:56 AM EST
After a tough, win streak-ending loss to the Cubs on the 4th of July, the Nationals got a bit of a break for the second game of this series. Late Friday night the Cubs traded their No. 1 starter, Jeff Samardzija to the Oakland Athletics, right before he was set to start against the Nats. Samardzija’s last outing was actually against the Nationals where he went five scoreless innings in a Cubs win on June 28.
In Samardzija’s place will be right-hander Carlos Villanueva (4-5, 5.91), a 30 year old veteran of nine MLB seasons. Villanueva has had a decent amount of success against the Nats in his career with a 2.30 ERA in 13 appearances, 12 of them in relief.
Gio Gonzalez (5-4, 3.93) will start for Washington, who will look to get back in the win column as the Braves continue to reel off victories. With their 5-2 win over the D-Backs on Friday, Atlanta has now won eight straight.
Gio’s last start was also against the Cubs. He went seven scoreless innings to earn his fifth win of the season.
Both Mark and I are off today with Ben Standig covering for us from Nationals Park. Make sure to head there before and after today’s game for his stuff…
CHICAGO CUBS at WASHINGTON NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 4:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 184, MLB.com
Weather: Sunny, 81 degrees, Wind 5 mph LF to RF
CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Bryce Harper
SS Ian Desmond
C Wilson Ramos
LHP Gio Gonzalez
CF Junior Lake
RF Justin Ruggiano
1B Anthony Rizzo
SS Starlin Castro
C Wellington Castillo
3B Mike Olt
LF Chris Coghlan
2B Darwin Barney
RHP Carlos Villanueva
HP Ted Barrett (cc)
1B Will Little
2B Mike Everitt
3B Paul Schrieber
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team