Instant analysis: Nats 2, Cubs 1

Jul 6, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

GAME IN A NUTSHELL: Needing a win to avoid their first series loss in three weeks, the Nationals looked a big sluggish. Jordan Zimmermann was effective, tossing six scoreless innings, but wasn’t especially sharp and had to be pulled due to a high pitch count. The lineup, meanwhile, scratched out a quick run off Jake Arrieta but then went into shutdown mode, squandering some golden opportunities to add insurance in the fifth and sixth innings.

That proved costly, because Drew Storen gave up the tying run in the seventh on a couple of singles, a walk and a sacrifice fly (with Denard Span’s throw to the plate just a split-second too late). Storen’s fourth run surrendered in 32 appearances this season left the game tied 1-1 and very much up in the air late.

Tyler Clippard, though, escaped a self-made jam in the top of the eighth, and that set the stage for the Nationals to rally in the bottom of the inning. Ryan Zimmerman’s two-out single to left scored Span and gave the Nats the lead heading to the ninth. Rafael Soriano then closed it out to secure the series victory and move the Nationals to within 1/2-game of the Braves (whose 9-game winning streak was snapped) in the NL East.

HITTING HIGHLIGHT: When in doubt, count on Span for a two-bagger. The Nationals’ leadoff hitter had two more doubles today, including the big one in the top of the eighth to put himself in scoring position. That was Denard’s 28th double of the season, matching his total from all of 2013. Zimmerman then delivered the clutch hit, roping a two-out single to left, bringing Span home to give the Nationals the lead for good.

PITCHING HIGHLIGHT: This was not a conventional Zimmermann start, not even close. He surrendered at least one hit in all six of his innings. He racked up a whopping pitch count of 105. He couldn’t even get a bunt down in a big spot, usually a specialty of his. And yet, at the end of the day, the right-hander put nothing but six zeroes up on the scoreboard. Somehow, some way, he found a way to get the job done. In doing so, Zimmermann lowered his ERA over his last seven starts to a miniscule 1.26. Overall, he now sports a 2.79 ERA for the season. There hasn’t been a whole lot of talk about him and the All-Star Game, but perhaps this dominant stretch over the last month-plus has been enough to get him to Minnesota.

KEY STAT: Wilson Ramos now has a 10-game hitting streak, tied with Adam LaRoche for the longest by a Nationals player this season.

UP NEXT: It’s time for the Battle of the Beltways, a 4-game, home-and-home series with the Orioles. It starts at 7:05 p.m. Monday at Nationals Park when Stephen Strasburg takes the mound against Chris Tillman.

1. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Renteria pitched to RZim instead of the pitch around with Harper on deck.

A nice team W.

• stoatva - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I did not think RZ was going to see anything in the strike zone.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Me neither. I think they were concerned that Strop throws wild pitches and walking the bases loaded was not the best choice but Managers are paid to make the tough calls and RZim made them pay.

Renteria probably being 2nd guessed all over Wrigleyville right now.

• stoatva - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM

I think you’re exactly right. Once Strop starts throwing balls he can’t always stop. Of course Harper hasn’t shown any plate discipline since his return, so it might not have mattered.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Nice to see Zim and Zim and Span as the game stars.

2. David Proctor - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

How about that 1-2-3, 8 pitch inning from Soriano? Clippard and Storen made it way more interesting than he did. Great win. 9 games over .500. Virtually tied with Atlanta despite their 9 game win streak that ended today (they’re up .5 games, but they’ve played one more game so we’re tied in the loss column)

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Soriano has been solid this season.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Quick work and Soriano deserves an Allstar spot. His results are excellent ans lately the process has been excellent.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I like your optimistic definition. Looking ahead, both teams have seven games before the All Star break. Nats play the O’s four times (two at home, two in Baltimore), then the Phillies three times at Citizens Bank Park. The Braves have seven games on the road, four against the Mets and three at Chicago. After the break, however, the Braves have an 11-game homestand against the Phllies (3), Marlins (4), and Padres (4), while the Nats have three at home against the Brewers, then go on the road for nine (at Colorado, the Reds, and the Marlins). Last year, as we all recall, the 10 games (or so) on either side of the ASG were a disaster. Need to keep up the pace, given the way the Braves are playing.

3. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Bravo!

4. veejh - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Would have been a tough loss. Hallelujah!!

5. manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM

The Nats have 39 losses, Brewers have least in the NL WITH 37. We can over cone them.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM

?

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Correct, I have said that all along, now I see winning top seed.

6. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Positives today? JZimm hung tough. Clippard hung tough. Blevins got that one out we needed him to. Span’s two doubles. Zimm’s RBI in the 8th, and his good enough throws from 3rd.
    The real star of the game? The replay reviews. The incorrect safe call overturned on LaRoche’s tag was huge!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Not sure how that tag missed Span but he should’ve been sliding to the CF side of 2nd base instead of the other side of the bag. lucky for the Nats.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

One replay showed air all the way, but it sure was close!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I think he was safe but if he was called out it would have been hard to overturn.

7. rayvil01 - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Nice to win with less than 4 runs. 2 to 1 games are the games that contenders win. Good sign.

• everendp - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Great point. That’s how you win them in a battle of aces in post-season. Not that Arrieta deserves “ace” status in his small sample size but he’s pitching great lately and we all thought it would be a 1 run low scoring game.

8. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Matt agrees with you guys that Span probably should’ve tagged on Rendon’s line drive. It all worked out thanks to Ryan Zimmerman.

9. stoatva - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Right offhand I can’t think of anything more annoying than someone who cusses and ridicules his team throughout the game then comes back after a tough win to shamelessly say “Yay! That’s my boys!”

• 3on2out - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM

stoatva +1!

Another guy that needs to be called out: Bryce thinks Denard should sit so he can play CF? I am sure glad wasn’t the case today.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM

“I can’t think of anything more annoying”

Coincidence? I think not.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Bryce said that? And after that whole mountain-molehill/blown-completely-out-of-proportion old news of last week? I missed that.

• natsjackinfl - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:02 PM

“Annoying” only starts to describe it.

10. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Great game and another series win… Jordan was effective but wasn’t his usual nastiness… Glad to see the team pick him up and win!

On the O’s…

11. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Funny things those stats are sometimes. Last week Span had a better slugging pct than Werth did. Not anymore, Werth has passed him up, but now Denard has a higher slugging percentage than Harper.

• stoatva - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I think Harper will come around in a big way, eventually, but one has to be grateful that he’s not costing us games while he knocks the rust off.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Someone asked on the game thread if Harper would’ve got the guy at the plate. Probably, but, and right now it’s a big but, but if Harper had been in CF then Span would’ve been on the bench. Hmmm.. Two doubles, two runs scored by Span in a 2-1 game. Zimm would’ve been in LF, Espy at 2nd. What did Bryce do today? No, the right lineup and player positions are right as Matt has them.

• stoatva - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

With all due respect (none) your prognosticating abilities are worse than Harper’s batting average.

• dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Thank God, MW is the manager and the majority blog does not rule

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:17 PM

12. stoatva - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Oof. O’s blow 6-1 lead to Red Sox in bottom of seventh. Tied, 6-6.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM

stoatva – Jul 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I was trying to figure out who you were directing that towards?

13. dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM

What’s this, Espinosa can’t be trusted in blow outs or tight ball games for late inning defense or to rest a starter.
    Must be on the trading block.
    I would say play me or trade me.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM

“I would say play me or trade me.”

Unfortunately, and perhaps not coincidentally, Danny has about as much leverage to say that as you (or I) do.

• dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM

true indeed…dcwx61 back to the sofa …at least no splinters

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM

But that’s part of our frustration, isn’t it. If Mr. Applegate could let us trade places with Danny, we’d be all over that. Because we wouldn’t make those mistakes. Nossir.

• dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM

That’s what makes a fan of a meaningless sport so much fun…but then an existentialist would say all life is meaningless and life is unfair…Acceptance is the key.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM

That’s true, except I thought they’d say having integrity is the key. But that’s me, doing their act — which is not fair, as Lenny Bruce would point out.

But if acceptance is the key, then it’s not unacceptable. And I’ve been told many times that poor play is unacceptable. Of course, I don’t buy that. So maybe nevermind.

• Steady Eddie - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I think MW made the correct prognosis that if the game went to extras, he’d much rather have the difference between Zim’s clutch bat and Danny’s hollow one rather than the smaller edge of Danny’s glove over Zim’s.

Correct because the bat difference is not only much bigger but much more valuable in a low scoring game than the glove difference is likely to be.

Meanwhile, let the O’s pen go lots of extras in Boston.

• dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Of course, I meant after the clutch hit in the 8th but maybe you meant that too.
        Fans for Danny Freedom (FDF)

• tcostant - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:07 PM

I don’t think you can trade Espi as he is the only true SS backup. He is Desi insurance.

• dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

unless you trade for another utility infielder. It just aint fair

14. dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Hey, I know some had interest in Chase Headley:

Brad Johnson asked MLBTR readers who will be the first position player traded. Martin Prado was the top pick followed closely by Chase Headley, Luis Valbuena, and Dayan Viciedo.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:48 PM

dcwx61, I’ve been the one tracking Headley and Hill and Prado but it makes no sense anymore with the current configs.

I’m all for replacing Hairston and not sure if there were comments in-game, but MW used Blevins as a LOOGY and it worked. That has to be his role. Forcing him in as a 1 inning guy has not worked.

• nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Would you take a chance on Alfonso Soriano to replace Hairston. Hes a freebie.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I think you have to look for a XFactor player who fits in with clubhouse chemistry. Alfonso Soriano won’t be happy riding the pine.

The Nats have until August 31 to let this play out as they can make a trade from the waiver wire.

• dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

OK, thanks for weighing in here.
        I always thought Detwiler would be a good bargaining chip as desperation in late July makes for desparate trades from the NY Yankees ;)

And if someone goes down in the infield, they Washington becomes the desparate one forcing them to play Espi in a starting role. If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

It’s not out of the realm of possibilities but Rizzo has till Aug 31 to make a waiver trade for the final push so he can give himself an extra 31 days if he feels they need a player.

I think Rizzo will propose some trades if they would benefit the Nats going forward for future years

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Unless the Nats make a quick move to the AL, I’m not sure any of those folks do anything for the team except create more headaches of the ‘where do you play them?’ variety.

• nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I agree Eugene. Now that RZ is back at 3rd its a mute point.

15. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Arrieta was an O’s castoff and Hammel was a rent-a-pitcher and the cheap Angelo$ didn’t bother to pay to keep him. I love how their castoffs and “never weres” are doing well in other towns.

They benched Chris Davis again today.

16. nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Cant you send Espinosa back to Syracuse and pickup Prado who can play 3rd and 2nd and outfield. Hes a big bench upgrade.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Matt Williams knows these Diamondback players. Nothing would surprise me.

• nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The snakes have Wade Miley is a lefty and shut down the Barves today and went 8 scoreless in Pittsburgh earlier in the week until his bullpen blew it in the 9th. While his ERA stinks he’s been a All star pitcher and is young. Would you trade Roark for him. I think the Nats could use a lefty who matches up well against Atlanta and Miley can do just that.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:17 PM

As I said nothing would surprise me and yes, Wade Miley has pitched himself into a situation lately with some good starts to be on the trade block.

17. tcostant - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Am I the only one who was told that the ball is always faster than the glove? Ramos (and it just not him, I see plenty of catchers do this) goes in front of the plate and then catches the ball and swipes his glove back. After watching the play over many time, I’m sure if he was behind the plate he would have much better chance of stopping that tiring run.

• nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Even if he was behind the plate it wasnt a good throw. That couldnt have even been 200 feet and Span didnt set up behind the ball like you are taught becuz he didnt think the runner was going. That should have been a seed throw right to the catcher. I think it hit the mound and skipped.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I haven’t seen any catchers behind the plate rather the 1 foot on the plate and 1 in front of the plate style. Like I said during the game, Span caught that flatfooted and didn’t put himself in the best position to throw it.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

We don’t always agree, but I agree with you on this.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Joe, glad we agree on this but by definition if we didn’t agree 1 time then that means we don’t always agree. I think that goes for everyone.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM

The throw was a foot too far to Ramos’s right. Though not a strong throw, if it had been a foot further to his left , he makes the tag. And in all fairness, Wilson is a big guy that doesn’t turn on a dime.But again, the only reason that play ever happened was due to the Cubs 3rd base coach screwing up on the play before.
        The main thing is that by hook, or by crook, the Nats got the breaks today and won the game.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I agree with you.

• dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Sponsered by Harper for CF (HCF)

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 6, 2014 at 10:37 PM

I didn’t get to see the game today, but if the throw was within 12 inches of getting the runner, it couldn’t have been that bad. Just saying.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Check the video.

• rayvil01 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Back in the day we were taught to put the left foot on home and react to the throw. Can’t do that with the new rule. Have to make some assumptions to say it would have turned out differently. As an old Catcher; though, I’m not happy with this new rule.

• nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I just watched the highlights of the Red Sox and Os game with a similar play. You can put a foot on the plate if you leave the runner a lane to get to the plate and you can also do it if you receive the throw before the runner gets to the plate. I saw a similar play this week where Billy Hamilton was thrown out at home and the catcher took away part of the plate.

• everendp - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

18. thelatencn - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Does anybody think we have the odd problem of not being able to give our bullpen enough work? Between starters that go deep in games, and a line up that sprinkles in games with 7 – 13 runs scored, we wind up with guys like Storen and Clippard looking rusty when they finally are needed. Or am i imagining things? And if it is a problem, what the heck could you do about it?

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

And how often have either of them, or Soriano, looked rusty?

• dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

no, i think it is a big part of a manager’s role to keep all 25 from getting too rusty. How you manage your bench and ballpen is an important role for MW. But agree that nobody managed a bullpen better than DJ

19. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

David Ortiz tried to channel his inner Span.Didn’t work out so good. Red Sox lose to O’s in 12.

20. dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM

from mlb trade rumors

Nationals lefty Ross Detwiler could be a trade target for teams looking to add rotation help, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports (Twitter link). Detwiler “could start for most” teams, as Heyman notes, and the southpaw has had trouble finding a spot in Washington’s deep rotation despite some good career numbers. Detwiler currently has a 4.00 ERA, 1.29 K/BB rate and 5.5 K/9 in 36 relief innings for the Nats, and he’s had control issues, as his 4.3 BB/9 is markedly up from his 2.6 BB/9 over the previous three seasons.

• nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Intersting. If it happens than I hope Rizzo is asking for alot back in return.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

While I could see either Ross Detwiler or Danny Espinosa (or both) being moved, just remember that neither of them (or both together) is going to be a sought-after acquisition by a contending team (in the way that Jeff Samardzija was or David Price is) in which the contender pays a premium to get them. Contending teams are going to be looking for proven, starting players, not reclamation projects. At most, Messrs. Detwiler and Espinosa would be replacements for the premium players the Cubs or Rays or Diamondbacks deal away.

• dcwx61 - Jul 6, 2014 at 9:15 PM

desparation knows no bounds. Detwiller could really help a contender in my humblin opinion

• Hiram Hover - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Sounds like Rizzo using Heyman as a mouthpiece.

21. natsfan1a - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Was out and about most of the day but did see the late innings. Nice to see a series win vs. the Cubs. Missed yesterday’s game we were at the P-Nats (again, after being out and about most of the day). Will try to speed-watch replay at some point.

P-Nats was fun. Visited with some friends during the first game of the double-header so didn’t see that one, but the second game was well-played for the most part, with good pitching from both team’s starters and the home team scoring just enough to win in the end.

22. nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

All Star selection show on ESPN. Go Rendon!

23. manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Rendon and Clippard my choices.

Souls love ALR, but the position is stacked.

24. manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Matt Writers? Voters kept voting for him, so numbers make no difference.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Just an ignorant vote for a catcher who is out for the year and only started 22, yes twenty-two games at catcher . Clearly you see with Adam Jones and Wieters that the Orio-holes were stuffing the ballot boxes. What else does that fanbase have to do with their time?

• nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 6, 2014 at 10:42 PM

What else should fans do with their time but vote for their guys? What, the Orioles fans should vote, en masse, for somebody else?

25. nats128 - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Ross looked to have his foot on the plate to set up and took it off but look at this throw from a CF.

26. manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Joe Magraine says Harper needs to keep his body from lunging as he swings. He says Verlander is doing the same thing on the mound. Says eventually both will stop it and go on a stampede.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM

I guess he hasn’t watched Harper hit much. He comes forward on the ball shifting his weight forward and swings fine for power on his front leg with his back leg off the ground. The problem I see is that he is opening up and pulling off the ball. Also his timing is off, clearly.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM

He seems to lunge forward to me, and I think you I are seeing the same thing. Fix this mechanics and start hitting.

27. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:22 PM

The voting gets Utley in over Altuve.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM

They’re in different leagues. Utley is NL.Altuve is AL.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

I’ve made the same mistake, i.e., still thinking of Houston as an NL franchise.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM

LMAO, whoops. Those darn Astros moving to the AL. Thanks for the correction.

28. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats All Star selection.

29. David Proctor - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP 1m
    Rafael Soriano, who has a 1.03 ERA and 21 saves, did not make the team. “It’s a joke,” Tyler Clippard said.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Mr. Clippard is correct.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:36 PM

I had Clippard in, but Soriano is as worthy.

30. manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Relievers get to rest.

31. David Proctor - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Glad to see Kurt Suzuki make the team. Good guy who had a great first half

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:47 PM

And Derrek Norris. 2 Nats catchers.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Both doing fine.

32. manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Rendon snubbed for josh Harrison?

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Ouch.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

That made no sense to me. Said he played 2 positions.

33. manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Interesting each team with 8 right handed batters starting.

34. David Proctor - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Rendon got screwed. Matheny chose his guy (Carpenter). What a joke.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Carpenter or Harrison took the spot.

35. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Nobody likes Soriano but a few of us on this board. All Star teams have never been unjustifiable, but Soriano deserved to be a 2014 NL All Star, IMHO.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Only Housing Street had better save percentage.

I didn’t notice but Street must be Padres rep.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Nope. Tyson Ross.

36. unkyd59 - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

When wil the rest of the rosters be announced?

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Has been

37. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Let the debates begin.

38. Joe Seamhead - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Rendon’s sun is just starting to rise. He will have lots more opportunities. ALR has quietly had a career first half, but his sun is setting. This was his last chance.
    All that said? The AS team selection is nice, but the World Series ring is much nicer.

GYFNG!!!

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Vote for Rendon

39. manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Write in REndon

40. David Proctor - Jul 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

New thread

41. manassasnatsfan - Jul 6, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I see it is Tyson Ross for the Padres.

That means the two best percentage wise closers not there.

42. stoatva - Jul 7, 2014 at 12:05 AM

“I was trying to figure out who you were directing that towards?”

Not you, Joe.