Jul 7, 2014, 7:47 PM EST
For a guy who looked completely lost at the plate only one week ago, Jayson Werth sure turned it around in a hurry. Enough to be recognized by Major League Baseball.
Werth was named NL Player of the Week on Monday, a fitting honor for the Nationals right fielder, who went on a sudden tear after a lengthy slump.
Werth led the majors with a 1.000 slugging percentage and led the NL with nine RBI and 20 total bases while going 9-for-20 with two homer and five doubles.
This after a 16-game stretch in which the veteran hit just .145 and slugged .177.
The key for Werth: A slight mechanical tweak. He began standing more upright at the plate, going back to a technique he had used in the past. He wound up doubling in two runs in the first inning Tuesday night against the Rockies and never looked back.
“It happens that way,” manager Matt Williams said. “That’s baseball. One swing. One jam-shot. One gork. One groundball with eyes. Or whatever he said in the movie. That’s true. It’s all true. You can also go a week and scald balls and have everybody catch them. There’s nothing you can do about it.
“The adjustment that he made was a veteran guy understanding his swing and what he needs to do to have success. He got away from it a little bit, but made the adjustment. That’s good. You learn that over time. I’m happy for him. I’m proud of him. He’s been playing well.”
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres