Jul 7, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
For a guy who looked completely lost at the plate only one week ago, Jayson Werth sure turned it around in a hurry. Enough to be recognized by Major League Baseball.
Werth was named NL Player of the Week on Monday, a fitting honor for the Nationals right fielder, who went on a sudden tear after a lengthy slump.
Werth led the majors with a 1.000 slugging percentage and led the NL with nine RBI and 20 total bases while going 9-for-20 with two homer and five doubles.
This after a 16-game stretch in which the veteran hit just .145 and slugged .177.
The key for Werth: A slight mechanical tweak. He began standing more upright at the plate, going back to a technique he had used in the past. He wound up doubling in two runs in the first inning Tuesday night against the Rockies and never looked back.
“It happens that way,” manager Matt Williams said. “That’s baseball. One swing. One jam-shot. One gork. One groundball with eyes. Or whatever he said in the movie. That’s true. It’s all true. You can also go a week and scald balls and have everybody catch them. There’s nothing you can do about it.
“The adjustment that he made was a veteran guy understanding his swing and what he needs to do to have success. He got away from it a little bit, but made the adjustment. That’s good. You learn that over time. I’m happy for him. I’m proud of him. He’s been playing well.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Has Strasburg earned Game 1 start in playoffs?
- Around the NL East: Braves on the verge of elimination
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals