Game 89: Orioles at Nats

Jul 8, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT

Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER

Try to forget, if you can, the horrendous 11th inning from last night’s game and appreciate the 10 innings that preceded it. The Nationals and Orioles played one heck of a ballgame, getting great pitching performances, fine defense and a couple of big home runs from star players. The atmosphere inside the park was electric, certainly not a typical Monday night in July.

The atmosphere should be quite similar tonight for the second game of this year’s Battle of the Beltways, the finale of the D.C. portion of the series. And there’s every reason to believe we’ll see another well-pitched ballgame with Doug Fister on the mound for the Nats and Bud Norris returning from the DL for the Orioles.

The Nationals will hope to get a few more clutch hits than they did last night. Only one change to Matt Williams’ lineup: Wilson Ramos gets the night off, so it’s Jose Lobaton behind the plate. Otherwise, same as it has been, including the slumping Bryce Harper batting sixth.

Updates to come, so please check back…

BALTIMORE ORIOLES at WASHINGTON NATIONALS

RHP Bud Norris

UMPIRES
HP Dan Iassogna
1B C.B. Bucknor
2B Tripp Gibson
3B Gary Cederstrom (cc)

6:35 p.m. — Not-so-good news: The start of tonight’s game will be delayed because of a storm system approaching from the west. Updates if we get them…

7:33 p.m. — The rain has finally begun here, and fans have been told to take cover under the concourse. The wind has really kicked up.

8:40 p.m. — I wish I had more news, but unfortunately I don’t. The skies started to clear here and we had a rainbow over right field, but the rain has picked up again. I’ve been getting questions about the possibility of a two-city, day-night doubleheader tomorrow. To which my response is: Are you nuts? Wait, on second thought, don’t answer that. I know they did it in New York before, but the distance between Yankee Stadium and Citi Field is only 9 miles. From Nationals Park to Camden Yards, it’s 38 miles. With a whole lot of traffic in between. I just can’t imagine the logistics that would be involved in trying to pull that off.

9:30 p.m. — It’s still raining, though not as hard as it was earlier. They’ve waited this long, so you’d think they’re still hopeful of playing. But no official update. Sorry.

1. tcostant - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Don’t throw a Cruz a strike, no matter the situation.

2. stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Something familiar about this lineup.

3. Doc - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Seems maybe if Harps” buddy Espi was in the lineup, Harper might not be slumping!

4. natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Will be watching it on tv again, at least until I fall asleep on the couch. Go, Doug! Go, NATS!!

5. stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM

No mention of “the slumping Adam LaRoche” who has shed 20 points of batting average the last seven games?

Hope he snaps out tonight, or sits tomorrow against Chen.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:15 PM

The way LaRoche and Harper have been swinging the bat lately we have no real threat from the LH batters box right now. Add in Lobaton and it’s not a pretty sight.

Hope one or more of them can break out of their slump soon….like tonight!!

6. tcostant - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I’ll be re-living the 80’s tonight at Wolf Trap, so I’ll keep track here.

7. Nats fool - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I swear that when Desi goes through his ritual of looking at the bat before stepping in the box he hears little voices telling him to “just swing, Baby.” Low trash, high trash, outside trash, it’s all good.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I wish it would say Barrell up fast balls no low sliders

8. tcostant - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM

If the Nationals had the Cubs record this year and last (because attendance sometime has a year lag), they would be drawing 18,000 a game, no doubt in my mind. The O’s too.

I don’t want to see it, but Washington has not seen a good team then a fall to below .500 for multi-seasons. I remember 30,000 a game that first year in RFK and then a few years later having many rows (rows – not seats) empty in front of my season tickets and at a new ballpark to book. I chalk some of that to first year back in DC, but we are averaging something similar now. Let’s not get smug..

9. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:27 PM

“Rafael Soriano would turn down invite as All-star roster replacement” is the headline on MLB Network.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM

He said if they looked at the percentages and said he was not worthy, why would he be worthy now.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I like it and agree with him. His numbers say he’s an All Star.

10. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Jayson Werth hamming it up behind Buck Showalter on the camera.

11. Section 222 - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:39 PM

The MLB Network guys were going ballistic over Zim’s errant throw last night. Eric Byrnes, who I usually like, Bill Ripkin, who I usually don’t like, and Greg Ampsinger. All of them convinced Zim cannot play 3B and should be moved to LF or 1B ASAP. Ampsinger predicted that in the playoffs the Nats would platoon Zim and LaRoche, but mostly the assumption was that Harper should play center and Span should vanish from the face of the earth.

Not a single mention of (1) the fact that Zim’s arm would be a liability in LF too; and (2) the fact that Espi can’t hit.

Embarrassing.

• David Proctor - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:44 PM

From Boz’s column today:

“That’s what I am now,” said Zimmerman. “I’m going to make a bad throw once in a while. I’ve accepted it. It’s not for lack of effort or work (after various shoulder surgeries). I’ve done everything. I’m giving it the best that I’ve got. And I think people realize that.”

• tcostant - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:48 PM

A man’s got to know his limitations. Dirty Harry

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I love it. I’ve been waiting for that level of honesty. I got sick of the BS because I knew the truth.

• veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM

+1. They should make a statue of Zim in front of Nats Park. He IS the Nationals.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM

A man’s GOT to know his limi-TA-tions.

• NatsNut - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Yea, the candor with which zim has been talking aboit his shoulder, position, etc, and his awesome humility make me wayyy more forgiving of him. On the error last night both my buddy and i said, “its ok zim, we understand.” Bits just part of the package now and i’ll take it every day.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I take Zim’s point to be, more or less politely, “Get over it. I ain’t going away, and it’s not getting better, so get used to it.”

• natsfan1a - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Wait. Amsinger has us going to the playoffs? Wait. Do I care what he thinks anyway? Eh, no.

• pchuck69 - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM

It has gotten to the point that every “error” (that wasn’t an error last night) that Zimmerman makes at third is noteworthy as opposed to every other third baseman who also commits throwing errors and they ALL commit throwing errors. It goes with the position.

• veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:09 PM

F*** F***. LOL. Yo. know, he did that himself.

• npb99 - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I like RZ’s honesty, but before we explode in praise of his virtue and vote him St. Ryan, let’s recall that he’s getting $100 million from this franchise and may feel a bit sheepish that he’s not able to play his position.

12. tcostant - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Billy Beane is the smartest guy in any room:

• Section 222 - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Trade with him at your peril — Ahem, Corey Brown. Ahem, H-Rod.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:07 PM

That’s true.

• jd - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I think Epstein did OK on the last trade. I think it was a perfect trade for both teams who are going in different directions. The A’s need to win soon before they start losing players like Donaldson and Norris to big market teams. The Cubs need young position players. Mission accomplished by both GM,s

• David Proctor - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:29 PM

The Gio deal worked out, though they certainly got their fair share of talent in return (Derek Norris and Milone)

• natinalsgo - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:39 PM

David, and also AJ Cole who they eventually traded back and that scored them John Jaso.

• ArVAFan - Jul 8, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Two comments:

Great timing on invoking the 10,000 hour rule, since a meta-analysis just significantly debunked that “rule.”

Remember that the Enron guys were “the Smartest Guys in the Room” . . . and see where that got them (jail, mostly, except the ones who died before everything played out).

OK, three: I agree that I would approach a trade with him with extreme caution.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM

OK, but in fairness on #2, the Apollo Program was the smartest guys in the room, too. Just saying.

13. NatsNut - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Reading a lot of anger about the number of Os fans at nats park that has me puzzled. Personally i really liked it at the game yesterday. They are nothing like phillies fans and their attendance is mainly a proximity factor rather than an indicator of fanbase or division standing or win/loss record. We will pack their ballpark too. Plus, im sorry but nats fans are too freaking POLITE. Os fans cld teach us a thing or two about cheering, and they did last night. The ballpark got awesome LOUD, but only after Os fans started it. I say welcome!

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I still miss Candlestick. In the late 70’s, sometimes all 6,000 fans would get behind a chant of “BULL-[PIZZLES]!!” after a bad call, or the ever-popular “DODGERS SUCK!”

Of course, none of us could afford to live there, nowadays.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM

That team had much better PR people than ballplayers, actually. They had a high percentage of born-agains for a while, self-titled The God Squad. So the marketing people got Don Novello, as Fr. Guido Sarducci, to do the TV promos.

Once, during Roger Craig’s tenure, they got a group of Tibetan Buddhist monks to come bless the team after a losing streak, and the team went on to win something like ten in a row, but the best part was the headline in the Examiner: “OMMMM Baby!”

• adcwonk - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Call me old school — or new school — or whatever — but I’d rather err on the side of being too polite than being a real jerk.

See, “fans, Phillies” as an example.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:39 PM

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:21 PM

It was measured by a local radio station that was banned by Angelos to be 1/3 Nats fans. That seems to be a big showing considering Nats fans have a long way to travel vs Orioles fans that live all over the DMV. Again SWM, they are a 60 year old franchise numbering 3 generations of fans.

• npb99 - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I agree. The O’s fans were annoying (just because they were loud), but they weren’t jerks the way Phillies fans are.

14. stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM

World Cup semi turned into last night’s 11th inning.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:19 PM

And when it comes to soccer, wars have started for less.

• adcwonk - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM

A great example of a comment that’s funny and hurts at the same time ;-)

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Didn’t mean to hurt anyone. Sorry.

• adcwonk - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:40 PM

You didn’t hurt me — the O’s did. Last night.

15. micksback1 - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM

bowdenball – Jul 8, 2014 at 9:24 AM
    Wait, you’re asking why Nats fans buy up every available seat for a Monday night game … and then buy all the tickets off the secondary markets too?

I am only responding to this because it is clear I failed to make my point. My point was that since Nat fans do buy up tickets for the home games verse other teams who are not the Orioles, totalling an average of 31,000 fans for home games, why couldn’t our same fans who buy tickets when Nats play other teams not able to get those tickets verse the Orioles earlier, before the O’s fans did. That was all I was trying to say.

16. micksback1 - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Its time to get rolling and I expect Bryce to at the very least get one damn hit tonight!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:18 PM

He will.

• adcwonk - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Of course you expect them to lose. You declared the season over on Apr 25. So why are you still here?

BTW, since you “expect” it — why not make a bet with me? I’ll give you the advantage by not even taking any odds.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM

There is the difference between an optimist and a pessimist. I expect to win every game until we lose it.

17. micksback1 - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I hear you bro, we are not only ones, last week 2 MLB analyst were saying that Desi’s strikeouts are bizarre and frankly unacceptable for a contending team. It s one thing to strikeout, but to swing like its the first time he has ever held a bat in his hand is another. Remember he just got his average up to 239 after how many games??

18. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:41 PM

You an I see the National A them crap eye to eye. Angelo’s must love it as he allows it in his stadium.

Angelo’s is why I hate the O’s so much.

• senators69 - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:54 PM

F Angelos!

I just heard Buck Showalter on Nats radio pre-game mention how Angelos gave up territory so DC could have the Nats…good for baseball all around.. or some such s$%t.

Angelos should have NEVER been given DC after my Senators left! Baseball made a bad decision! Shoulda stayed unclaimed.

So now are we supposed to bow and give thanks to the great Angelos???

A BIG FU ANGELOS AND TO ALL YOUR SERVANTS.

FU

I can’t wait until the Nats get their own TV contract. Hope I’ll be around to see it!

19. janebeard - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Bryce will relax and come back to himself. I hope it’s tonight. But my main hope is to not be swept by these guys. Turns to I;d rather lose to Philly than Charm City. Surprised me. PS May the game get in tonight so we don’t play three THERE.
    GYFNG EB (especially Bryce)

20. senators69 - Jul 8, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I guess Fister must like Lobotron… I don’t!

21. veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM

SWM…..the ol Billy Ripken F*** F***. You know, he did that himself.

22. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Verlander in the 1st inning has already given up 3 earned to the Dodgers and there’s only 1 out. What is wrong with Verlander?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Verlander has now given up 5 earned in the 1st inning.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Verlander’s ERA is over 5.00 now. It’s hard to believe.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM

If you apply the same standards to other team’s that many posters here apply to the Nats, I’d assume he’s either a ‘head case’ or ‘lacking mental toughness’ or ‘too cocky’ or ‘not a team player’ or something of that sort. Personally, however, I’d suspect wear-and-tear on his pitching arm. But what do I know?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Correct Eugene but I think it’s more serious than that. He’s lost velo and movement. It’s as if his arm has gotten old.

• Eugene in Oregon - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:37 PM

That’s what I mean by wear-and-tear. He’s had seven straight years of 200+ innings (plus a chunk in the post-season). He’s averaged about nine SOs/game in those years. His arm may not be old, but it’s getting there.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Too much Kate Upton perhaps?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Once again, you read my mind. Coincidence? I think not. You know what they say about blood flow.

• npb99 - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Good example of how teams should avoid super-rich contracts. Maybe in hoops that works, where there’s only five guys playing at a time, but in baseball it’s a huge gamble.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Yep, that is some scarey stuff if he’s now damaged goods.

23. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:25 PM

By the way, remember how dominant the Giants were for April and May? They are now in 2nd place.

• veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:27 PM

We sent them into a tail spin. How have the Brewers faired since since they played us?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Both teams have looked suspect since they played the Nats. The Giants now look mediocre. All the offense they were generating to cover for their so-so pitching has now been compromised.

• veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:36 PM

I’m pretty sure knoxvillenat got it right. All that Upton poon made him forget about his job. I don’t blame him.

24. veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:29 PM

We’ve had very little time with our full roster back. Give it a month, and if we’re not whippin’ some ass, then we many have issues. I think we’ll be fine.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Correct let it gel. So many worried about now, I am looking long haul and chemistry.

25. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Don’t worry be happy. We will the east. Now I starting to see the World Series

26. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Mets lead after 1

27. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Granderson tee’d off on Teheran for a leadoff HR. Mets then had men on 2nd and 1st but couldn’t score again. Stressful 1st for Teheran.

28. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Any thoughts from those of you in the DC area as to whether the game is going to happen? If so, predictions on when?

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Well, this is what we’re looking at now. There’s a line of thunderstorms, pretty heavy, but just the one line. Should be through here in another half hour, then time to get set up; I’d guess first pitch between 8:15 (optimistic) and 8:45 (pessimistic).

• masterfishkeeper - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM

The rain is moving through pretty quickly, so I’d guess maybe 8:30 or 8:45.

I won’t be watching, as we’ve lost power. Again.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

It’s Angelos’ fault

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I am thinking start about 845. Through here 20 minutes ago last 30 minutes

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM

It’s still pouring here in Shaw, a few miles due north of the park. We seem to be getting to the back of the band, so I’m thinking the pessimistic 8:45 might actually be a trifle optimistic after all. But 9:00 for sure, I’d say.

29. David Proctor - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Rich Dubroff ‏@RichDubroffCSN 4m
    Showalter on D.C. “You realize how big this area was for the Orioles before our owner was kind enough to let them have a team here.”

Oh, go to hell Buck.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I think Buck might have been funning with us there.

• David Proctor - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I’m sure he was, but I am not amused.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:51 PM

I don’t see or get the comedy…

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Buck knows as well as anybody Angelos fouight this tooth and nail, and his boss is famous for firing mouthy employees. He was being ironic.

30. veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Braves stranded a runner at 3rd with 1 out. Haha!

31. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Wow Puig…. Wow.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Puig has a helluva arm… Hot dang…

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM

The call was reversed correctly, but the throw was great.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I thought it was the wrong call.. The throw was definitely there in time, couldn’t tell when he got tagged though… Actually the throw beat him….

• Faraz Shaikh - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I think tag was not applied properly, otherwise it was out.

32. veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

3-0 Mets! Woohoo!

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM

I flipped back to the Dodgers. The catch by Hayward I though was a bad omen. Glad I was wrong.

33. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Avid now my directv goes out…. Just great.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Keep with us

34. David Proctor - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Mets up 3-0 on Teheran

• veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:58 PM

4-0!

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Keep the line moving. Why is pitcher mad?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Is Teheran screaming into his glove and doing the theatrics that he does?

No let up Mets…. Foots on throat…

• veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Teheran is out over of the plate. Getting smacked around. They’re warming up the BP.

35. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Keep the line moving Mets

36. Joe Seamhead - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:02 PM

At the park. Folks are leaving by the hundreds. Any suggestions from you all?

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Ummm … stock up on beer in case they close?

• veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:04 PM

see posts above….8:45 game time?

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Seriously, I can’t see them not waiting this out. Once the line of storms gets through here, it’s open all the way behind it. They don’t have a long trip tomorrow, and the O’s aren’t back here this season.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:09 PM

And I hope you brought a phone charger.

37. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Tigers are in business… This is a good game so far….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Can you believe that Ryu is ready to give the lead back.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:07 PM

No pitching tonight there.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:07 PM

This was a heckuva inning…. Seriously… Just solid contact and good at bats by the tigers….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Patient hitting until that doubleplay by Torii who swung over that pitch with bases loaded.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:05 PM

And just like that the Tigers have scored 4 runs so far this inning…

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Ha… Make that 5 all…. Tigers have tied it up… And my directv goes out again…. Frickin A man…..

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Yes I am back to MASN

38. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Mets swing at ball for a k. We have seen that movie a lot

39. Rick - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Plus they have a rookie manager. Great managers get their teams to play above their potential. Good managers, to their potential and bad managers, below. Where does Williams have them?

40. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Ryu can’t buy an out right now…

41. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Double play stops Tigers 5-5 after 2

42. Another Tyler - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:09 PM

“The remaining nine teams (other than the Phillies) to which Hamels may be traded without his consent are the Dodgers, Angels, Cardinals, Nationals, Braves, Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, and Padres.” -MLBTR

Awww, gee, Hamels! Thanks for making us one of the nine.

43. Rick - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:10 PM

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Half a game out of first with half the lineup gone for half the season so far. Make of that what you will.

44. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I’m thinking the 9:00 window looks good. We are halfway through, lots of lightning, and it should be clear enough to pull the tarp up in half an hour or so.

45. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM

Looks like no way game starts before 9. Rain has cleared here, needs to clear there.

46. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Mets first and second no outs

47. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Instead of pitcher bunting he crushes a 3-6-3 double play

48. veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM

5-0 Mets. Oh yeah.

49. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Young knocks line in run 5-0

50. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM

5-0 mets

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Did you see how the inning started then the pitcher hits into a doubleplay. Isn’t Teheran an All-Star? He looks awful tonight. He’s gotten great defense or this could be 8-0

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Looks like a lot of revision to the means for the braves pitching… Teheran has thrown 63 pitches thru 3… They are so lucky they played this easy schedule for the past 10 or so games…

In other news, Ryu can’t buy a K… He is clearly missing etc… Doesn’t have it all tonight…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Ghost doesn’t like Teheran!

51. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Still raining, but the sun just broke through here. We’re out the back end of it.

52. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I like Matt Kemp… Was kinda hoping he would become a national….

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Puig I love he is on my fantasy team.

53. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM

5-0 after 3

54. Section 222 - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I’m at the game. Still coming down but the sun has come out and there’s a rainbow. Maybe a 9:30 start? If your power is out might as well come on down to the park. Games after rain delays rock!

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Sounds great

55. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Tigers threatening again

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Score again. Lead 6-5

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Ryu went 2 and 1/3…. Unh….

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Jamie Wright in. We want the Dodgers to lose.

56. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Two out single for Hayward

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Johnson swing k. 5-0 headed for bottom 4

57. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Dillon Gee was called back up by the Mets to face the Barves tomorrow.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Wonder how is rehab went. Started season well.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Hoping well. They put Jon Niese their #1 on the DL and Niese said he was fine. He takes Nieses place in the rotation.

58. micksback1 - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM

maybe were tied for first with a chance tp go up half game by the time game is on

59. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Men first and second 1 out an Julio is pulled.

Interesting Mets bullpen is warming up.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM

5-0 after 4

60. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Teheran already pulled. 3 1/3 innings.

61. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM

With regard to Mark Zuckerman’s 8:40 p.m. update: Isn’t that why they invented helicopters?

62. Steady Eddie - Jul 8, 2014 at 8:58 PM

1) game hasn’t even started and WordPress is up to its usual antics.

2) DeGrom is just eating the Braves’ breakfast, lunch, dinner, and everything left in the pantry. 5 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 10K, only 70 pitches. Hopefully a spur to a little demoralization, but probably not after getting swept by the Phils at home — and then going on the 9 game win streak.

3) ugly turn around for the Dodgers, now 9-5 Tigers with bases loaded and no one out in the 4th. Who’d a thunk aver lander could give up five in the first and still look likely to get the win? Crazy game.

63. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:03 PM

After staying up last night and not sleeping well becuz of the Nats loss, I’m getting sleepy… I hope they get this one in…. I’m going to have to record it….

But this tigers/dodgers game is something else….

64. Steady Eddie - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Mark, would not be advisable to try day-night DH tomorrow — there’s a 40-50% chance of early afternoon thundershowers until about 3 pm. Even with a quick game, a 3 :30 start and showers and transit afterwards would mean they’d be very unlikely to start the nightcap until about 10.

65. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Actually a good at bat by JUpton….

• veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:13 PM

pretty nice snag by Wright

• Steady Eddie - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Guess it’s snag on the brain time.

• Steady Eddie - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Ugh, I almost jinxed DeGrom — Freeman/JUp two out singles, and then Wright saves the inning with a great snag of a Heyward liner for the third out.

• veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:17 PM

time to snag a brew!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Shocked they let him face Heyward but then again the Mets bullpen isn’t great.

66. veejh - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM

BJ blew that big time.

67. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I can not and will not understand why they BJ Upton leading off for them…. I wonder if he will be a Brave next year….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:26 PM

The fact they wouldn’t DFA Uggla tells me he will be a Brave. They won’t eat that contract. Still laughing at the people that said he would be great with the Nats because of his change of scenery. Just never saw that as anything more then betting on something that might never be there. Well, the Braves took that gamble and it never paid off and they are only 1 1/2 years and a ton of money into that long-term deal. Wait till age regression sets in!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Speaking of Uggla, he just K’d as the pinch-hitter!

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I thank the baseball gods every day that neither Upton is a National…. I just don’t think BJ will ever get better… I can see them signing another OF and moving BJ to the bench… One of the highest paid benches, I would guess…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:35 PM

The Justin Upton trade worked out for them as they got Chris Johnson who was huge for them last year and all the players they traded haven’t helped the Snakes except Prado who isn’t as good as he once was.

• Doc - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:35 PM

The Mets’ announcers said that ‘age-regression’ has already set in for Uggla—at 34 years.

The guy never hit for a good average, even before ‘age-regression’.

The Braves must have flipped their tomahawk the wrong way!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM

That’s funny. Age regression is a cruel thing.

• rayvil01 - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM

They aren’t digging those deals with Uggla and BJ down in Atl. They call BJ the “Big Joke.” Contract size is going to hurt their ability to re-sign his brother.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Yep, they are in trouble and as I predicted they leaned too hard on Gattis and now he’s having medical issues. They played Gattis in the Nats extra innings game and all 4 games of that series. Greedy managing and that’s how the Barves do it. They run their players into the ground.

68. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM

And I would not have sent deGrom back out there for the 7th….

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:31 PM

DeGrom proved me wrong… Ha…. Hopefully the mets BP can get these last 6 outs quick, fast and in a hurry…

69. stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Gave up and came home. Can’t possibly start much before 10:30, if at all. Fuggetaboudit.

70. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Mets at it again.

• rayvil01 - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:42 PM

If the Mets don’t have the worst bullpen in baseball then the worst must be a spectacular dumpster fire. How many leads have they blown to the Braves?

71. David Proctor - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Game postponed.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Yah, crazy and moved to August 4th. That works out for the Nats as they have flexibility to skip Roark now. and the Nats walking wounded get a day off.

• David Proctor - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Team has confirmed. Will be made up on 8/4.

72. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Okay, great…. Game is postponed…. Well, hopefully the mets can help us out again tonight…

73. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:37 PM

7-0 muts

74. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Mattingly got ejected…. For what?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Yelling at the ump. Well turns out the ump was mic’d up and you could hear most of the argument when Mattingly jumped out of the dugout to get his monies worth. He claimed he wasn’t yelling at the ump!