Nats-Orioles postponed, makeup on Aug. 4

Jul 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT

Photo by USA Today Photo by USA Today

[Updated: 10:30 p.m.]

Tuesday night’s game between the Nationals and Orioles was postponed due to heavy rain after a delay of approximately 2 1/2 hours. The two teams will now play a makeup game on Aug. 4 at Nationals Park.

The tarp rolled out in D.C. about a half-an-hour before game time as a large storm carrying winds of over 50 miles per hour approached. A delay was announced at 6:35 p.m. despite clear skies above. Sure enough, the precipitation came and carried on for hours before the postponement was announced at 9:35 p.m.

For the Nationals, they will now push Tuesday starter Doug Fister back to Wednesday, with Tanner Roark skipping his turn in the rotation. Roark will be available out of the bullpen over the next several days with his next start scheduled for July 13 in Philadelphia, the Nats’ final game before the All-Star break.

“He’ll be available out of the bullpen,” Matt Williams said. “On a short leash, but he’ll be available.”

After Fister, Gio Gonzalez will pitch on Thursday with Jordan Zimmermann starting Friday and Stephen Strasburg taking the ball on Saturday.

Williams explained his reasoning for the plan moving forward.

“If, in fact, Tanner would take his regular turn, it would be a number of days in between starts for him anyway. The availability that we have with him out of the bullpen over the next couple of days, in keeping the other guys on regular rest, dictated the decision. He’ll be ready to go on Sunday.”

For the Orioles, each of their starters will simply be pushed back a day. Bud Norris will make his return from the disabled list on Wednesday and Wei-Yin Chen will start the final game of the series on Thursday.

The Nationals announced late Tuesday that ticket holders for Tuesday’s game can use their original tickets for the makeup on Aug. 4. If they are unable to attend that day, they can instead exchange their tickets for any remaining 2014 regular season game scheduled at Nationals Park.

Given both teams had a mutual off-day on Aug. 4, the makeup was a logical fit. Williams said despite the two teams’ proximity to each other – a distance of 38 miles between parks – the idea of doing a Washington/Baltimore doubleheader was never seriously on the table.

Williams did note how a similar plan had worked in New York – the Yankees and Mets play nine miles apart – and thinks it is an option for the future.

“Didn’t the Mets and Yankees do it one time? I’d imagine it was the same amount of time to get across New York City that it would take for us to get to Baltimore,” he said.

“But no. We have a mutual off-day on the 4th of August, so we’ll determine what time that game is. Since there is a mutual off-day, we didn’t even go that far. But it’s been done before, if it had to be done, I guess it could be done. But no, we didn’t think about that.”

1. sunshinebobby - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Probably for the best. We’ll be tied for the lead in the NL East by midnight anyway. g’night all.

2. stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Guess I guessed right. That almost never happens. Oh well, it was actually a rather pleasant evening out, believe it or not. Amazing rainbow and sunset, saw friends and family, stayed mostly dry, ate falafel and schwarma and drank a Snake Dog IPA.

And we picked up that half game on the hated Barves.

3. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Boooooo

I wondee what the radar looked like. Rain stopped long ago here.

Waited 2.5 hours, what is another 2 hours.

I guess the fact I won’t be here Aug 4 is part of my gripe.

4. manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Dodgers couldn’t hold 5-0 lead now losing 14-5

5. adcwonk - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Hey, can some of our LoD members go to the Braves’ boards and throw a tantrum that the Braves can’t even win a series from the lowly Mets? And that therefore the Braves will never make the playoffs and they’re not such a good team. And throw in that Teheran stinks while they’re at it, too ;-)

And it’s 8-1 now

• stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:13 PM

My impression is that there’s already a contingent of Barves fans who could teach our trolls a thing or two. All those years of coming this close have made them pros at Gloom’n’Doom.

• natinalsgo - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Agreed. They have taken choking to a whole new level.

6. David Proctor - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM

It wouldn’t be a Mets game without their bullpen giving up some runs.

7. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:31 PM

“Ghost of Steve M. – Jul 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    Yah, crazy and moved to August 4th. That works out for the Nats as they have flexibility to skip Roark now. and the Nats walking wounded get a day off.”

Yep, Roark will be skipped and pushed to the weekend series against the Phillies.

• natinalsgo - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Ghost, I don’t know how you do it! Good call!

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Roark pitches worse with extra rest, so I would love to get a big lead and then let him pitch the last 2 innings.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Unless you skipped Fister, someone was going to be on extra rest regardless.

8. sjm308 - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Just wondering what the LOD guys will bitch about tomorrow?

Damn it Fister, can’t you stop MLB from postponing? Had to be Harper’s fault somehow someway! Matt Williams just doesn’t have enough guts to call MLB and turn this thing around.

Onward and upward as we are now officially in FIRST PLACE but I know that is not enough for many of you.

• natinalsgo - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Did you see Kilgore declared the Barves a loser about 10 minutes ago then the Barves loaded the bases and he began to sweat it. We’re talking the Mets!

Good win Mets! Beat the heck out of Teheran!

• NatsLady - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM

The Barves had something 12 hits and just 1 run. Man, they are just NOT clutch hitters.

9. stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Mets hang on. From all the garbage blowing around on the field it looked like they were playing in Citi landfill.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I was hoping a ball would roll into a bag.

10. natinalsgo - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:39 PM

Baseball is a crazy game. Verlander gives up 5 runs in the 1st inning and gets the W.

11. ArVAFan - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:41 PM

If I did the math right, we’re ahead of the Braves . . . by .001. That will have to do for tonight.

12. stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM

What the heck has happened to Zach Duke? He looks like Super Southpaw for the Brewers.

• stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Also, Gorzellany has not given up any earned runs in his 8 appearances this year. Maybe it’s the cheese.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:32 AM

And Kurt Suzuki making the AL all star team.

13. NatsLady - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM

They postponed the game just as it stopped raining. Maybe they saw rain on the radar, but it hasn’t rained at all since they made the announcement. Oh, well, it was an easy drive home and I now have a $90 ticket that I bought for $25 that I can use another day…

• stoatva - Jul 8, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Milking the concession sales for every penny is all I could figure. Even had they played the game, though, I wouldn’t regret having left. Not going to sit out there until 2 in the morning.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:01 PM

We stuck it out until they officially called the game. Just got home. Sometimes I think that they are awful greedy on the way they make these decisions, but, oh well. Our drive home wasn’t so easy. Lots of debris on the roads. Too bad about all of those O’s fans that drove all the way from Baltimore, eh?

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Worst part is you cannot get a credit for parking

• NatsLady - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I found a spot where I didn’t have to pay because it was after 6:30. Since I didn’t get to the Park until about 8, someone had abandoned it….

I think a lot of people left because they had to get on the Metro. But a lot of people stayed, watching the Mets game on the big video screen. Not sure how much interest the O’s fans had in that game.

• 6ID20 - Jul 8, 2014 at 11:19 PM

If you park in the team lots you get a rain check for parking too. At least if you buy the parking in advance you do. Don’t know about if you pay cash as you drive in.

14. Eugene in Oregon - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I’ve got to believe that if the Nats players — especially Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper — had shown more mental fortitude and weren’t such head cases they could have won tonight’s game.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Does this mean Harper’s career is now officially a bust, since he went hitless again?

• adcwonk - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:53 AM

He also didn’t look happy during the rain-out. Typical p1ss poor attitude. Over rated.

• Hiram Hover - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Wait a minute – no discussion of Harper is complete without mention of …

Mike Trout, who would throw a cone of protection over the stadium so they could get the game in. Then, he would go 5-4 with 6 HRs.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Yeah, but what would Brian Boitano do?

• Hiram Hover - Jul 9, 2014 at 7:59 AM

And Zim didn’t have a single decent throw from 3B.

• sjm308 - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I also have inside information that MW did not rest his regulars last night but had them play a simulated game in the batting cage below the stadium. It was a little crowded but Zimms throws were much easier. Sadly Einosa did not get a chance to hit until 2 am

• Hiram Hover - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Right – another rookie mistake from the WORST manager in MLB.

Wow – this LoD this is more fun than I realized.

Why would anyone ever bother to make a positive or rational comment about this team?

15. David Proctor - Jul 9, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Man, the D’Backs are bad. Their announcers can’t believe it. Gives up a 2 run shot to Marcel Ozuna with a one run lead and 2 out in the 9th.

16. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:12 AM

You must be new around here. Oh, wait. You *are* new around here. Never mind…

17. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:39 AM

The Rockies LoD got a shocking telegram from the owner of the team.

18. natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Well, yeah, the telegram part was a joke on the part of Hardball Talk, because of the brevity of the email reply that was sent to the fan in question. I wonder whether the reply actually came from a Rockies employee who was in charge of monitoring that particular email account rather than from the owner. If so, I wonder whether that Rockies employee still has a job. We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Seems like it’s from the owner based on the Sig but maybe he will say it was an angry employee.

“Two days later, he found out his comments did not go unnoticed. Ferguson received a reply in his inbox simply stating, “If product and experience that bad don’t come!”… signed owner, chairman and CEO of the Colorado Rockies Dick Monfort.”

19. adcwonk - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Quote of the day — from Chipper Jones, during a discussion about instant replay:

There needs to be some adjustments to how quickly it is done, but I love it. Every time Angel Hernandez gets challenged I love it! … My goodness, it warms my heart every time I get on Twitter and I hear that Angel Hernandez got a call overturned because all of my followers, they know my affection towards Angel Hernandez and when he gets a call overturned they are all over it, my Twitter feed lights up.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2014 at 8:54 AM

LMAO, Angel Hernandez! We agree on that Larry.

• natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:03 AM

That is pretty funny. Now that Larry’s retired, he can let loose with stuff like that.

• Hiram Hover - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:05 AM

+1.

Is anyone doing this for Country Joe?

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:19 AM

GIMME AN ‘F’!!

Oh, wait, wrong Country Joe.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:24 AM

They should be on Joe also as he’s a joke and if you remember, the first few weeks of replay was a joke as headquarters was keeping close calls in favor of the umps and now they really are doing well. Almost every replay is going against the umps.

I’d love to see a May and June scorecard on these umps as April was a work in progress.

• natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:26 AM

LOL – a new rain delay tradition? Oh, wait. Maybe not.

“GIMME AN ‘F’!!

Oh, wait, wrong Country Joe.”

• natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Of course I meant to spell “F-I-S-H.” What?

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Giants announcer Duane Kuiper was unusually frank but 100% honest in his assessment of Hernandez, saying “Angel Hernandez is not a good umpire and, in my opinion, he does not belong in the big leagues. And I think Major League Baseball knows this, they just don’t know how to get rid of him.”

(Hardball Talk)

20. Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:16 AM

We’ve got lots of time, apparently, so … OT. Speaking of Angel…

So I googled it. His Wikipedia page doesn’t have it, but the question comes up several places (so, it’s not just me). And the one “definitive” answer I found said it’s “Angle” like in geometry.

• natsfan1a - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:28 AM

I thought a hard “g” with accent on the first syllable. But can’t recall whether I’ve heard it spoken that way or just said it that way in my head (a lot of stuff gets said in there – I can’t remember half of it).

“How do you pronounce Roger Angell’s last name? I have always thought he pronounced it “Ann-JELL” but a friend today said, no, it’s “AYN-jel”, like in the outfield.”

21. tcostant - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I’m surprised they didn’t play. I was at Wolf Trap last night, lots of rain right before 8PM, but I was outside at 9:15PM and it was plesent out with no rain. I then returned to my seat and Go Go’s started at 9:30PM and I figured that when they were done I’d be listening to the game on the way home. I was surprised it was postponed.

22. micksback1 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:35 AM

and we gained a half a game, best game all year, everyone was perfect including Bryce, LOL

23. micksback1 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM

and now its payback time, my son who is an O’s fan invited me to the game tonight, I promised him I would shut my yap in O’s park

• sjm308 - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Mick – you know we go way back and I am fond of you.
      I just had a funny image of how you would react at a game you were actually watching in person.
      If its anything like your comments on here, you would clear out the section in no time, especially if things went south for our Nationals.

Have fun tonight, enjoy your son and win or lose, enjoy the game itself. Take a minute and watch the ease at which a simple ground ball to the SS has to be played perfectly or the runner will be safe by a step instead of out. Watch the outfielders track a fly ball from 300 feet away and end up being pretty much in the right position 95% of the time. I could go on and on but to me, baseball has more skill sets than any other sport and we tend to take them for granted because we see them on a daily basis

Enjoy & Go Nats!!

• micksback1 - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I will have a blast Coach

TY

24. micksback1 - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:40 AM

every break is now there with Roark not having to face O’s for Nats to be up over Braves at break

can they seize opportunity?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Agreed. Huge games like a 5 day run at it.

25. Theophilus T.S. - Jul 9, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Some years ago they expanded the no. of umpires to give them days off in the regular season, and I believe they also call up umps from the minors to fill in in some situations. My visceral reaction is that the newer umpires generally have as little knowledge of the strike zone — or less — than Hernandez and West and a couple of others. Whenever the pre-game lineup shows someone behind the plate I’ve never heard of I assume the batters are going to be on a wild ride.

I wonder if this is an unintended consequence of the stress on “framing” by catchers. Each pitch is potentially a shell game in which the umpires suspect they are being bamboozled on every close pitch and their ability to guess which pitches are actual strikes is paralyzed. Fifty-fifty.

I don’t believe the stats that show umps getting umpty-ump percent of the calls right, partly because of my understanding that the scoring of “correctness” includes a tolerance for pitches that are marginally in or out of the zone. The strike zone is what it is. Surely there is a technology out there that can “frame” the strike zone instead of the pitch and leave some of these blind mice out of the decision. It certainly would discourage pitchers from run deep counts while attempting to throw the perfect pitch a half-inch out of the zone, and shorten games and/or increase offense, either of which would be an improvement. Tell me that changes the whole game of baseball. Unless MLB is ready to run some of these bums off I don’t care.

• Sec 3 My Sofa - Jul 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I’m not so sure. Keep in mind, the strike zone we see on pitch track is 2-dimensional, but the actual strike zone is 3-D — there’s no “plane” to cross, like a goal line in football, there are several.

Add to that, even if you went by a Fundamentalist interpretation of the strike zone as defined in the rules, it’s still open to some interpretation, but more than that, it changes for every batter anyway, and arguably from AB to AB on the same hitter. I don’t know how’d you’d do that in real time, even with just the 2-D “front plane of the plate” strike zone that I assume pitchtrack etc. uses, and be more accurate than a well-trained human.

Keep in mind, too, that this is Angel Hernandez and Joe West we’re talking about (and probably one or two others), not the majority of umps.