Jul 14, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
MINNEAPOLIS — Mike Matheny, as Nationals fans surely know at this point, likes his guys. So it perhaps wasn’t surprising when the Cardinals manager chose one of his own to start Tuesday night’s All-Star Game.
Matheny named Adam Wainwright as starting pitcher for the NL squad, selecting the veteran St. Louis ace over Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw. Each had a convincing case — Kershaw is 11-2 with a 1.78 ERA and 126 strikeouts with only 13 walks, Wainwright is 12-4 with a 1.83 ERA, 115 strikeouts and 27 walks — but Matheny suggested his familiarity with Wainwright played a role in making the call.
“Tough decision, there’s no question about it,” Matheny said. “I’ve got the utmost respect for Clayton. … But the leadreship, execution, day-in, day-out performance of what Adam has been able to do … the numbers line up, and it’s obvious this is a high-caliber pitcher, who in some ways I believe has never been given the amount of respect he’s due.”
AL manager John Farrell went with Mariners right-hander Felix Hernandez (11-2, 2.12 ERA) and also elected to bat Derek Jeter leadoff in the Yankees star’s final All-Star Game.
“Celebrate a player who is not only a champion, but I think sets the bar where it should be,” Farrell said. “This will be a day that many fans will remember: Derek Jeter’s final All-Star game.”
Here are the full starting lineups for tomorrow night’s Midsummer Classic…
CF Andrew McCutchen
RF Yasiel Puig
SS Troy Tulowitzki
1B Paul Goldschmidt
DH Giancarlo Stanton
3B Aramis Ramirez
2B Chase Utley
C Jonathan Lucroy
LF Carlos Gomez
(RHP Adam Wainwright)
SS Derek Jeter
LF Mike Trout
2B Robinson Cano
1B Miguel Cabrera
RF Jose Bautista
DH Nelson Cruz
CF Adam Jones
3B Josh Donaldson
C Salvador Perez
(RHP Felix Hernandez)
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon