Jul 14, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
MINNEAPOLIS — Mike Matheny, as Nationals fans surely know at this point, likes his guys. So it perhaps wasn’t surprising when the Cardinals manager chose one of his own to start Tuesday night’s All-Star Game.
Matheny named Adam Wainwright as starting pitcher for the NL squad, selecting the veteran St. Louis ace over Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw. Each had a convincing case — Kershaw is 11-2 with a 1.78 ERA and 126 strikeouts with only 13 walks, Wainwright is 12-4 with a 1.83 ERA, 115 strikeouts and 27 walks — but Matheny suggested his familiarity with Wainwright played a role in making the call.
“Tough decision, there’s no question about it,” Matheny said. “I’ve got the utmost respect for Clayton. … But the leadreship, execution, day-in, day-out performance of what Adam has been able to do … the numbers line up, and it’s obvious this is a high-caliber pitcher, who in some ways I believe has never been given the amount of respect he’s due.”
AL manager John Farrell went with Mariners right-hander Felix Hernandez (11-2, 2.12 ERA) and also elected to bat Derek Jeter leadoff in the Yankees star’s final All-Star Game.
“Celebrate a player who is not only a champion, but I think sets the bar where it should be,” Farrell said. “This will be a day that many fans will remember: Derek Jeter’s final All-Star game.”
Here are the full starting lineups for tomorrow night’s Midsummer Classic…
CF Andrew McCutchen
RF Yasiel Puig
SS Troy Tulowitzki
1B Paul Goldschmidt
DH Giancarlo Stanton
3B Aramis Ramirez
2B Chase Utley
C Jonathan Lucroy
LF Carlos Gomez
(RHP Adam Wainwright)
SS Derek Jeter
LF Mike Trout
2B Robinson Cano
1B Miguel Cabrera
RF Jose Bautista
DH Nelson Cruz
CF Adam Jones
3B Josh Donaldson
C Salvador Perez
(RHP Felix Hernandez)
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres