Jul 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Jordan Zimmermann came out of his bullpen session fine on Saturday and is all set to start Tuesday against the Rockies in Colorado.
The right-hander has been recovering from a bicep strain he suffered on June 11 in Philadelphia when he left his start in the fourth inning. Zimmermann took some time off before throwing a bullpen on Thursday. Saturday was the final step to get cleared for a return, and he passed it.
“He’s good to go,” manager Matt Williams said. “He had a good bullpen today. All indications are he’s set to go on Tuesday, unless he feels something after, but we don’t think he’s going to. He’s good to go I think.”
Though Zimmermann will be pitching after eight days off – a rest that included the All-Star break – Williams does not plan to limit his workload. An MRI showed no structural damage to Zimmermann’s arm and the team now believes it was just a cramp.
“I don’t anticipate any pitch count,” Williams said. “I think we’ll look at how he’s feeling over the course of the game certainly, but we won’t go in with any limit on him. He will go as normal as long as he feels good, which we anticipate he will.”
Zimmermann will face Colorado in his 20th start of 2014. The two-time All-Star is 6-5 with a 3.03 ERA across 113 total innings.
Williams is hopeful Zimmermann is completely clear of discomfort and will now be able to put this minor injury scare behind him.
“We don’t know if it will come back,” Williams said. “We don’t know if he’ll have another cramp or not. We’ll have to take it start by start. In between starts we’ll get a better indication of how he’s feeling or if he feels it again or not. But I think he’s fine.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Rivero build off strong rookie year?
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?