Jul 21, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Before Bryce Harper returned to his lineup three weeks ago, Matt Williams suggested he planned to mix and match his lineups, with Ryan Zimmerman in particular bouncing around multiple positions. To date, that hadn’t really happened. Zimmerman stayed at third base. Harper stayed in left field. Denard Span stayed in center field. Anthony Rendon stayed at second base.
Tonight, though, Williams is doing some mixing and matching. With left-hander Franklin Morales on the mound for the Rockies, Zimmerman is shifting to left field. That means Rendon shifts to third base, with Danny Espinosa getting the start at second base. And that means Bryce Harper is taking a seat, at least for one night.
Doug Fister certainly will appreciate strong infield defense behind him as the groundball specialist makes his first start of the second half, seeking to match Tanner Roark for the team lead with nine wins.
I’m not on the first two legs of this road trip; I will be in Miami next week for the final leg. In the meantime, enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Partly cloudy, 86 degrees, Wind 9 mph out to LF
CF Denard Span
3B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
LF Ryan Zimmerman
SS Ian Desmond
C Wilson Ramos
2B Danny Espinosa
RHP Doug Fister
CF Charlie Blackmon
SS Josh Rutledge
LF Chris Dickerson
RF Carlos Gonzalez
3B Nolan Arenado
1B Ben Paulsen
C Wilin Rosario
2B D.J. LeMahieu
LHP Franklin Morales
HP Chris Conroy
1B Jerry Meals (cc)
2B Paul Emmel
3B Jordan Baker
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos