Game 98: Nats at Rockies

Jul 22, 2014, 5:19 PM EST

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

When last we saw Jordan Zimmermann on a mound, he was motioning for a trainer, his right biceps muscle having cramped up. Zimmermann was confident all along he wasn’t seriously injured, and an MRI of his arm revealed no elbow or shoulder issues, only a muscle strain. He skipped the All-Star Game and had his spot in the Nationals’ rotation pushed back to the last possible date coming out of the break.

Tonight, we find out whether Zimmermann really is OK or not. He’ll make his first start in 11 days, facing a depleted Rockies lineup at Coors Field, hoping to continue his dominant performances from June and early July.

Matt Williams goes back to his regular lineup tonight, so Bryce Harper will get a chance to face left-hander Yohan Flande, with Ryan Zimmerman back at third base and Anthony Rendon back at second base.

Enjoy the game and the conversation here…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES

UMPIRES
HP Jerry Meals (cc)
1B Paul Emmel
2B Jordan Baker
3B Chris Conroy

1. David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Not sure why LaRoche isn’t sitting. Perhaps they plan to give him tomorrow off so that he gets 2 days off in a row.

• masterfishkeeper - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

+1.

That’s my hope.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Particularly if they win tonight. Day game after a night game might be a good spot to get someone in against another lefty (De La Rosa) tomorrow.

• adcwonk - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM

He’s slumping — but he might not be tired. As someone wrote earlier today, he was running the bases pretty hard — and, after all, he just had four days off.

• David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM

But it makes sense to get Frandsen, Hairston or Espi some more ABs against the LHP

• adcwonk - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Hopefully they will in the latter innings, after wholesale substitutions that were made because the Nats were winning in a laughter . . .

• texnat1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Apparently not too tired. Funny wordpress dropped your comment in what turned out to be an oddly appropriate place.

• Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Hilarious!

• Faraz Shaikh - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:41 AM

You got your answer, David? :P

2. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Humidity at the moment in Denver is listed as 26%.

3. philipd763 - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM

With Espinosa swinging a hot bat, Williams should give Rendon a couple of games off because he’s been slumping lately.

• David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Hot bat? It was one game. He was 0-27 prior to that. If you’re going to start Espi fine, but not at the expense of Rendon

• Doc - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM

The ways of MW are mysterious.

He’s like Davey. He knows winning baseball—he just doesn’t always ‘like’ doing it!

• janebeard - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM

We can HOPE its a hot bat, can’t we? I am.

• Hiram Hover - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:33 PM

OTOH, no reason to think there is anything physically wrong with Rendon, and he has been having decent ABs, even if not the results.

A chance to go up against a career minor league LHP at Coors Field sounds like a pretty ripe opportunity for him.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Rendon just wants to hit. He said so himself. The only reason he plays defense at all is so they’ll let him hit. Well, OK, that might be an exaggeration. But he likes to hit. He’ll hit his way out of this bare patch, sooner rather than later.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:43 PM

As will LaRoche, Sofa.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Yes. Yes, he will.

4. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Mike Schmidt famously said that Philadelphia is the only place where you can experience the thrill of victory and the agony of reading about it the next day.

Boy, I’d hate to see that become true here.

• letswin3 - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Great line. Never heard it before.

5. David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Tulo on the DL, so we will avoid him this series. The Rockies can still hit though.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM

No Tulo and no Morneau. CarGo is finding his timing. The Nats have no scouting report on Ben Paulsen other than what they put together last night “on the go” and he was a pest.

• letswin3 - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:36 PM

He looks hitterish.

6. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM

All I can figure is that Matt thinks LaRoche is close to getting out of his funk.

7. secretwasianman - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Step on these guys throat. Bury them.

8. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:09 PM

By the time the Barves play the Padres they might be unrecognizeable as their fire sale has begun. I guess they are keeping Tyson Ross.

• David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I hope Tyson Ross is lined up to face the Braves, because he’s the only good player they have left

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM

They are awful and getting worse. No Huston Street, no Chase Headley and they are looking at all offers except on Tyson Ross and Seth Smith. 3 key players on the DL including Yonder Alonso and Everth Cabrera.

Crazy thing is I have no interest in anyone there except Dale Thayer who wouldn’t even make my Top 10 anyway of relief pitchers available.

9. Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:18 PM

It’s pretty clear that MW doesn’t think anyone needs a rest. The ASG was just a week ago after all. Nor does he seem to much care whether his bench guys get ABs. Maybe ALR has the day off tomorrow, maybe he doesn’t. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the only guy who gets a rest is the Buffalo.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM

I wonder how much of that is Matty’s own dislike, when he was playing, of “rest days.” He was like Werth described post-game — You never want days off, regardless, because you never know when you will get an occasion to rise up to, or an opportunity to help the club.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM

As the manager, it’s his job to force rest. LaRoche was limpy and gimpy the beginning of July and he had the opportunities to rest him and chose not to.

I agree after 4 days off everyone should be good to go now. I think “rest days” should be due to matchups. I like going with the “A” infield behind Fister and I think he made the right choice with a “rest day” for Bryce last night.

10. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:27 PM

“Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko
    Won’t face Nats this series, after all. Rockies can’t catch a break. RT @psaundersdp: Official now. #Rockies Tulo to DL.”

“Rockies can’t catch a break.”

I usually don’t expect a Nats beat reporter to have sentiments about the competing team during a series like that. I never saw beat writers from opposing teams feeling that way about the Nats when they were losing player after player. Could you imagine Gelb from the Phillies beat writing “The Nats can’t catch a break”. It would never happen.

The reason the Rockies stink is because of poor ownership and management. Dick Monfort sent a letter to a fan who complained “If product and experience that bad don’t come!” and later confirmed that he did write it.

On Kolko, the guy grew up an Orioles fan and he is definitely a “fan boy” of that team so I guess he really does feel sorry for the Nats opponents. Does he feel bad Tanaka of the Yankees is on the DL?

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I’m not sure I would necessarily characterize that as “sympathetic” in this case, since it seems clearly a bad break for them, but I can’t know what he’s thinking, of course.

Can’t say I’m a big fan of the “Death to the Opposition!” school of beat journalism.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:39 PM

It was a retweet? So he was actually just quoting someone else?

Cue Emily Litella: “Nevermind.”

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I’m a fan of say nothing. They don’t need sympathy. They are a poorly run franchise and Tulo has been a glass box for years.

Not one beat reporter I saw felt bad for the Nats. That’s the breaks people.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I’m a fan of say nothing.

Yeah, good luck with that. How are things back in the 1960s?

• Eric - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM

+1.

If nothing else, recognizing bad breaks for the opponent can counter balance any potential “bulletin board” material.

And, if it feeds the, “they can’t beat baseball’s best” meme, all the better.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Sec3, I like technology. You know what I mean.

• Candide - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:05 PM

“Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko

@ Section 3 – Kolko was retweeting “@psaundersdp: Official now. #Rockies Tulo to DL.”

“Won’t face Nats this series, after all. Rockies can’t catch a break. ” is Kolko’s comment on what he was retweeting.

But I agree, it wasn’t necessarily a sympathetic comment; the Rox really have had a run of bad luck.

11. Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Give the guy a break Ghost. He’s doing a great job I think. Marked improvement over previous occupants of that position.

• Hiram Hover - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:36 PM

+1.

It was a retweet. What was he supposed to say: “Sucks to be you, Rockies fans!”?

• nats128 - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Let me understand this. What was the originial tweet and what did Kolko add.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Everything after the “RT” is what he was retweeting. The part before (“Won’t face Nats this series, after all. Rockies can’t catch a break.”) is Kolko.

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 41m
        Won’t face Nats this series, after all. Rockies can’t catch a break.
        RT @psaundersdp: Official now. #Rockies Tulo to DL.

• nats128 - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Who is @psaundersdp. Is that Kolko to.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM

No, Nats128, that’s the account that sent the tweet Kolko was retweeting.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Rockies beat writer @denverpost. Colorado native, golden retriever lover, Nancy’s husband, Springsteen fanatic. E: psaunders@denverpost.com

• Candide - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Sec 3 – disregard my comment above, since you practically quoted me word for word 1-1/2 hours before I even posted.

Off to owe a drink. BRB.

• letswin3 - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Totally agree that he’s doing a great job.

• janebeard - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I think Kolko is awesome. A retweet is not a tweet tweet. The Rockies CAN’T catch a break. And I’m glad it’s when we are there. I wish the Padres were stronger now. Bad trade timing for us.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I thought Kristina Akra was great. I remember those that wanted to skewer Julie Alexandria for her love of the Mets. Are you ok that your boy Kolko is an Orioles “fanboy”?

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM

If he does his job I don’t give a [fig] who he roots for. I’m a grownup. I can filter it out.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I’m an Orioles hater so think of me how you want. When Angelos is gone, I might make them my AL team (might/might not). I actually could take Julie Alexandria being a Mets girl. She didn’t hide it. Kolko does a good job but I have a problem with that type of sympathy for other teams while the Nats are playing them.

• Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I haven’t noticed that in his coverage one bit to be honest. I liked Kristina too. And Julie was fine (really nice person too, I had a chance to meet her once), but Kolko is a huge step up. He’s a journalist, asks good questions and gets good information on the team. He’s improved the telecasts, and I like that the players don’t have the opportunity to make fools of themselves trying to douse the pretty girls with gatorade after the game.

By the way, I have no idea what you mean by “fanboy” but it sounds demeaning, so stop it. So what if he likes the Orioles? It doesn’t affect his coverage of the Nats as far as I can tell. He’s doing a professional job and deserves respect for that.

12. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:43 PM

According to MW, “LaRoche COULD get a day off tomorrow”. Notice the word “could”.

13. natszee - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM

So Span and Werth had their last day off June 28. La Roche has been in every game since late May. So someone remind me, why do we have a 4th multi million dollar outfielder? Can we not have a pine rider or some Zimmermn/Werth combo play 1st for a game?

Real question, if McLouth is not going to play (34 AB’s in two months) and there is no confidence in the bench to play 1st, why are they here and when is Tyler Moore coming up again (yea, I get it …. He needs to play every day) ? Our bench is in sad shape when the only consistent asset is Danny and notwithstanding last night, it is not his bat that contributes.

• nats128 - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:46 PM

All position players got 4 days off last week Natszee

• natszee - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I obviously omitted the all star break intentionally. The crux, McLouth was paid handsomely to be the “4th Outfielder” … That has not worked out. Then, we brought on a DFA’ed Dobbs. That did not workout. Hairston has a few key hits but can’t field, run or throw. I can go on but it’s all been said.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM

And to be fair, The Lobaton has been an asset. Maybe not as much as he was in Tampa, but an asset nonetheless.

14. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:47 PM

I thought Kristina was, in addition to being nice to look at, very professional. I also think Dan Kolko has done an OK job, but he reminds me of a boring light beer. He also reminds me of Pee Wee Herman.

• janebeard - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:51 PM

She was great. Which is why we don’t have her. I think Dan is doing really well, too. And that we will lose FP tp ESPN soon. But what I really care about is…

GYFNG!

• Hiram Hover - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I bet that is the first time Pee Wee Herman has been compared to a boring light beer.

Strikes me as more of a wheat beer with orange peel, and too much coriander.

• letswin3 - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Stop it……my sides are hurting!

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Whereas, Kristina would be like one of those really sweet cocktails, maybe a vodka appletini, or a pomegranate cosmo.

FP would be a trendy microbrew with too much head.
        Carp would be something by Busch, maybe O’Doul’s.

• micksback1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:18 PM

favorite Pee Wee Herman, 1981 Nice Dreams, I’m Not SOOOOORRYYYY!!!!!

15. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM

So someone remind me, why do we have a 4th multi million dollar outfielder?

Because he was supposed to hit .250, and they are on the hook for two years. He isn’t such a lost cause (like, say, Dan Uggla) that they will eat it. And they can’t send him down. They have to hope he comes around eventually, and he is showing modest signs of maybe doing that. So he stays.

16. Tim - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Uh…Doc…They are 11 over .500. Sounds to me the Nats are playing winning baseball under MW

17. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 6:57 PM

and while we’re on the subject of Teh Tweeter:

Bruce Miles ‏@BruceMiles2112 1h
    Hoyer says he hope #Cubs can deal Barney to contender

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Just in case you were wondering, since the Cubs DFA’d Barney today.

2014     .230	.265	.328
      career  .244	.290	.335
    • Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Cubs won’t get much for him, so he’d be cheap depth with a 3-year old (only) gold glove D at second and short, but I don’t believe he has any options left.

18. natsfan1a - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Kolko does not remind me of Herman, but Barney does remind me of a Hobbit.

On a game note, GO NATS!!

On a kinda sorta game note, hope that Desi has his stirrups ready. All the focus on them last night had me musing about former Nats who sported them. I remembered who a couple of those guys were, forgot about another guy who had worn them, and was thinking a third guy wore them when he evidently wore “soccer socks” instead (going by old photos). (Yeah, I’m between projects. Why do you ask?)

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I went online and bought me some stirrups just last night. Can’t wait. I’ll tweet pix.
      ; )

• Candide - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I’ll be sure to RT to everyone I ever heard of.

19. David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM

I personally think Kolko is the best dugout reporter we’ve ever had. I liked Kristina Akra, have pretty much hated everyone else.

20. natsfan1a - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I’m not a fan of sideline reporters generally, but I think Kolko does okay. Plus, he slid down the Milwaukee slide. Did Akra or Alexandria ever do that? Or Taylor even? I think not. I rest my case. (<- That's a joke, son.)

21. rabbit433 - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Zimmerman at third base always scares me.

22. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:34 PM

First Bryan LaHair goes from an All Star to DFA’d within the same year and Darwin Barney goes from ROY candidate to an actual Gold Glove winner to a DFA.

The Cubs stink and they don’t seem to want to develop struggling players but they were probably right about both players. The Nats on the other hand hang on to struggling players much too long and the Nats are a contending team.

Last year the Nats actually traded for Scott Hairston and absorbed his $2 million + salary. I think the Nats should stay away from Barney.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM

FWIW,

Bruce Miles ‏@BruceMiles2112 4h
      Darwin Barney a good guy to deal with, always with thoughtful answers. Will miss him in that regard. Offense held him back.

23. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:40 PM

“philipd763 – Jul 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    With Espinosa swinging a hot bat”

Does he mean the temperature of the bat? If 1 game determines a hot or cold bat, we are really getting down to miniscule sample sizes.

• natinalsgo - Jul 22, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I think you are taking that out of context. Philip means hot as in good looking as in With Espinosa swinging a good looking bat. Hah!

24. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Fish 4 – Barves 1 in the 3rd inning. Stanton hit a line drive double that came off his bat at 111.6 MPH.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:18 PM

4-2 in the top of the 4th.

I don’t know who plays in an emptier stadium—the Barves or the Phoolies. I’m going to say the Barves. Can’t be 8,000 people there.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Mike Minor pulled after 3 innings. 5-2 top 4th with men on 3rd and 2nd and no outs.

25. nats128 - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Hey Ghost, Kolko is wearing a bright red Nats polo shirt just for you. He Pledged His Allegiance!

26. micksback1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM

according to Kilgore, he says Nats may seek 1 more BP pitcher and a short stop for our minor leagues. Implication is that Nats may not be willing to give Desi an extra 20 million and Yankees may go after him after 2015

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:24 PM

mick, what did I tell you the Nats need to do at the trade deadline.

• micksback1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:27 PM

you called it

• Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Didn’t you say the Nats needed to go after a bench bat like Cody Ross? I still think that’s a good idea.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Yes but only if the DBacks eat most of his salary. He is one of the worst contracts in baseball and goes through 2015.

Postseason and veteran leadership and leads the Majors in PH this year. Just not an everyday play anymore.

• Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Sure. Details to be worked out. In my mind improving the bench is more important than bullpen depth, don’t you agree? Or now that Rizzo has said he’s looking for bullpen depth are you going to say that was your view all along since you said Blevins could be replaced?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Here’s the cool thing. Rizzo could try to pry a package of Ross and Ziegler + cash for 1 low level prospect if the Nats eat most of Ross’s contract.

• Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM

I do like the sounds of that. But I just don’t think Rizzo is the type to make a major move before the deadline. He likes the guys he’s got a bit too much in my view.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:16 AM

There is definitely that love of your own players but Hairston has to go so your options are your guys in the Minors or a new pickup.

Then you have an easy choice to add a reliever. You can pick up a reliever and since Barrett has options you can send him to AAA until Sept 1st. You need 8 relievers in the post-season so it’s best 8 short relievers go.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM

By the way, Desi will be extended. They aren’t that far off. Rizzo is just doing his thing.

27. davecydell - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Marlins are rolling over the Braves

• Candide - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Jayson Werth Gnome ‏@JWerthGnome 9m
      6-2 Marlins! #BeatTheBarves

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I hope to get to the park at a decent hour that day… I really want a gnome… Just put my Span bobble head on my desk with a DO NOT TOUCH sign on it…

28. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Hey all…

Good Luck Mr. Zimmermann and Nats Bats!

Foot on throat Fish, foot on throat…

29. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Nats seem like they’re sleepwalking so far.

30. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:58 PM

My man Span….

31. Danny - Jul 22, 2014 at 8:59 PM

So one of Anthony/Adam needs to start hitting again.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:07 PM

BABIP will change. Just keep making solid contact.

32. David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Oh Bryce.

33. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM

I’m with FP. No way you go on that with 2 outs. That’s the poor baserunning I keep referring to.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:12 PM

I will also say again that Bryce rarely gets the close calls. It’s what I call the Bryce Bias. He was safe and the umps blew it but dumb a$$ play Bryce. Never be the 3rd out at 3rd.

34. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Dumb, Bryce, especially the slide. We’d like to have you, and your ligaments around for a while.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I don’t get the replay call, dumb as the baserunning was, or not.

35. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:12 PM

That was just dumb… No way to cut it…

36. David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Dumb chance to take with 2 out, but horrendous call

37. Danny - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Honestly feel there is an umpire vendetta against Harper.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Yes, I’ve been referring to that as the Bryce Bias.

38. nats128 - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:14 PM

That is what I call aggressively stupid.

39. nats128 - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM

More importantly, NO MORE CHALLENGES!

Jeez Bryce get your head out of you butt!

40. natslifer - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Does Harper not have a brain cell in his head???

• stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Testosterone poisoning.

41. Danny - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Anyone this team brings up just rakes.

42. Candide - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Harper TOOTBLAN

43. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM

On to the 8th in Atlanta. 6-2

44. Danny - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Banjo bats so far.

45. stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Gonna need our four runs tonight.

46. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Come on Jayson. I know you have an extra gear.

• texnat1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM

He took an awful route. The Colorado announcers used the telestrator to show he ran the wrong direction at first.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM

As we’ve said here, just is not even an average RF anymore.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Ghost of Steve M. – Jul 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM
        As we’ve said here, just is not even an average RF anymore.

Which is why I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at first base next year, Harper in RF and Zim in left. Jayson might actually be better suited than RZ for first base.

47. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:35 PM

JZimm serving up a series of freakin’ meatballs tonight. He may not be hurting but his location stinks several times an inning. Command problem so far.

48. Danny - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Lame.

49. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM

By Werth not getting the leadoff hit, it’s now led to 2 runs and a bunch of extra pitches.

50. davecydell - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Knock this SOB out here

51. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Barves giving the Fish trouble.

• knoxvillenat - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Just saw where Freeman is now 2 for 44 against the Marlins. So why does he give the Nats so much trouble?

52. Danny - Jul 22, 2014 at 9:52 PM

LaRoche has been weakly grounding out often.

53. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM

On to the 9th. 6-5 Fish still up

54. unkyd59 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Glad to see some patience from Bryce…

55. davecydell - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Knock out time

56. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Baserunning by ian very critical

57. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:19 PM

FP last night notwithstanding, this is a Major League team, even if it isn’t very good. They won’t roll over just because they lost last night.

58. NatsLady - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Wainwright got knocked out? Gave up 5 in the fifth to the Rays. Just reading GameDay seems like a weird inning.

59. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Schafer in to pinch run for Braves and is caught stealing!

60. Candide - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM

So it seems the Nats’ most consistently good pitchers are the numbers 4 and 5 in the rotation – Fister and Roark.

61. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Barves LOSE

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Nice job by Cishek on the save.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Did you watch the 9th? Cishek was keeping the runner close with no outs and he was thrown out stealing. That was the 1st out.

62. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM

ALR comes through for a timely BH

63. stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Flande flambé

64. conatsguy - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Into the Rox bullpen. They cannot hold a lead

65. davecydell - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:30 PM

6/30 w/ one out, Flande replaced
    Nats went from 1-2 to win 6-2

66. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM

That second dinger makes 10 or 11 meatballs from JZimm tonight, 7 of which were hits (Blackmon’s lead off single was the only hit that wasn’t smoked. He and the Nats are very fortunate that he’s spread them out and hasn’t seen more damage.

Funny game, baseball. Nats may turn on some and win — nice to get into the Rocks’ bad pen — but he wouldn’t have earned the win nearly as much as he earned a win in some losses he’s taken (the game against the Cards quickly comes to mind among many).

• scmargenau - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:56 PM

He also made some great pitches. He owned cargo — he’ll get better

67. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Oh, crap. Looks like a hammy on Zimmerman.

68. Danny - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Another fluke injury. Just what we need.

69. David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM

We can’t have nice things

70. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM

This is the part of baseball that is devastating.

71. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Baseball at a mile high is distorted…and dangerous apparently.

72. smatt1001 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Let’s hope it’s not too serious…

73. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Buffalo with RISP!

74. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM

It really looked bad for Ryan. Damn.

75. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM

May be McLouth’s biggest AB of the season here.

• Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

And wastes it.

• coop202 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Couldn’t just… Not swing

• Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I don’t disagree that he should have swung, just that it was a heater in exactly the location that several Rockies’ hitters crushed.

76. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Nate “mcnuttin”

77. Danny - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Just needed to throw another ball…

78. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM

That was a heater in exactly the location that several Rockies’ hitters crushed.

79. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Espy? Come on, man.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Defense hasn’t been good since the 1st AB of the game.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Nats turn their best defensive play of the game with that doubleplay.

80. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Let’s see how THEIR pinch hitter handles a big moment. Here it comes

• stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM

DP. McLouth didn’t have a shot at one.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:54 PM

A smoked rocket luckily right at Rendon. Unlucky for them and lucky for the Nats.

• stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:58 PM

That’s baseball, dude.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM

LOL. That was the line of the year!

81. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM

A rocket…DP

82. Steady Eddie - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Danny made up for it, with a big assist from Rendon.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:55 PM

He did? That was a routine throw on the 4-3 portion of the doubleplay.

83. texnat1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Rendon has been better defensively than I expected coming out of college.

84. David Proctor - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:56 PM

If we had to sacrifice Zim, we better win the game

85. stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM

What can Brown do for you? Lead off walk!

86. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Why the “F” are you showing a Nats/Orioles fan photo. Do you have nothing better to show MASN? Let’s see if you have the balls to show that on the Orioles game.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I sent several pix of me, none if which they seem to have used. So count your blessings, Ghost; it could be worse!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I don’t think it could be much worse. They would never show that on an Orioles broadcast. It’s as disrespectful as showing an Nats/Phoolies couple.

87. Eric - Jul 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Hope it’s just a cramp for Zim…sheesh

88. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:00 PM

As I’ve been telling you for days, Rendon wasn’t in a slump in the sense of poor contact or K’s. It was just a bad luck streak and those turn around nicely thank you very much.

89. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Great …this inning is going to come down to Espy in zim’s spot

90. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:03 PM

How do you give that 2-1 pitch to a pitcher who has barely thrown a strike? Come on blue.

• stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:13 PM

May not have wanted to leave it up to blue after that 2-1 call.

91. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Werth gets suckered into swinging at ball 4. Don’t see that often.

92. stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Good pitch to Werth in that situation, unfortunately.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Jayson is very disciplined. I’m surprised he bit.

93. conatsguy - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Rex Brothers.. The worst of them all. Can’t throw strikes.

94. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Does Brothers have a Wild Pitch in his repertoire?

• conatsguy - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Yes, along with lead off walks and HBP

95. texnat1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

WhoHOoo! ALR!

• coop202 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Rest ALR!!!

96. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

And I will take props on Adam LaRoche getting his timing back and is healthy. Way to go Redbeard!!!!

97. NatsLady - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Adam Bomb! Matty Williams is a GENIUS!!

98. stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Yay Adam. I did NOT see that coming.

99. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

FP…you own it brother..LaRouch!

100. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Ignorant calls for sitting ALR. He just had four days off.

• stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM

I wouldn’t say ignorant. Been making weak contact and bat looks slow. Glad he caught that one, though.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM

He has always been a streaky hitter. He just had four days off. Sitting isn’t going to help him to start hitting again unless he’s actually hurt.

101. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Barves fans jumping into the Chattahoochee River!

• NatsLady - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Where you seeing this? Photos, please!!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Just a joke. I figured after their loss to the Fish and LaRoche’s 3 run HR that they were jumping off of buildings and into the river!

• NatsLady - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Aw, too bad. I thought maybe you were reading their blogs…

102. Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Step right up mick for your helping of crow.

103. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Anybody know what’s happened to manassasnatsfan? It’s not like him to miss these games. I hope that he’s ok.

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I asked that the other day. I am worried.

104. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Walt Weiss has managed things well in this game but his team just stinks.

• conatsguy - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Interesting note that Weiss was chosen over MW for the Rox Job.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I would rather have MW but I’ve been impressed by his managing. His team just is not good.

• stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:36 PM

I Managed Good, But Boy Did They Play Bad is a collection of essays, short stories and articles about baseball, combined with comments and articles written by Ball Four author and former major league pitcher Jim Bouton.

105. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM

A reprieve from the governor

106. mdmcommish - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Remember HOURS ago when jZim was pitching?

107. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I really don’t want to see Frandsen play 1st. I know it’s premature, but if Zimm goes on the DL, who comes up?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:34 PM

TyMo or Walters or Souza but come on, Rendon goes to 3rd and Danny to 2nd.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM

MZ said pregame that he may sit ALR and Span tomorrow. If so, who’s on first?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM

ALR.

• texnat1 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM

I’m guessing he won’t be resting ALR tomorrow now that Zim is hurt and ALR had a good night.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:52 PM

I’m not in favor of sitting Adam regardless of Zimmerman’s status.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Off day on Thursday. LaRoche is playing tomorrow. Matty this time said “could” rest LaRoche.

108. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Climb the ladder Drew with the high heat on CarGo

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Drew got greedy with the 1-2 pitch there to CarGo. You had pitches to play with. I guess you weren’t watching how JZim got him to K.

109. stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:34 PM

That’s my third baseman, right there. Love Ryan, but he doesn’t make that okay anymore.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:36 PM

That was a sweet pick by Rendon!

• stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM

That “play,” of course.

110. Joe Seamhead - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Word Press takes some of the fun out of this.

• Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:44 PM

It’s all a ploy to keep us awake for the late game because you have to go searching for where the thread is. Awful.

111. kirbs3256 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM

What did they just say about Zim????/ All I heard was Walters may be here tomorrow.

• kirbs3256 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Why is this up here!?!!?

• Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:43 PM

They said that they hoped to hear something about Zim in the postgame, and then were speculating that Walters would be called up if Zim goes on the DL. But we don’t know anything yet.

• kirbs3256 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Thanks, I got a phone call right before they started……

112. Section 222 - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Based on that spit, I’d say that Desi has not kicked the chew yet.

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM

And is avg rises. Chew on

113. stoatva - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Clipp using the whole field tonight.

• NatsLady - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Hey, gives the fielders some exercise. He struck out the side last time. :)

114. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 22, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Does anyone know when the last time our bench got a hit?

• David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:03 AM

2012?

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Bwahahaha… But that’s believable… I think it was Frandsen vs the cubs… Going thru the game logs it’s amazing how many chances S Hairston got and did nothing….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Yes, Espinosa got a hit yesterday. Last pinch hit was middle June.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Didnt Espi start?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Yes, but he’s considered a bench player. Your question was when was the last time a bench player got a hit.

The last pinch-hitter hit was something like June 15 or 16.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Should have clarified PH as that’s what I meant…

Nonetheless, thanks.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Maybe Frandsen doesn’t have job stability either. I guess we’ve thought he’s got a job and I’m not sure anymore.

Hairston has to go.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Frandsen is a utility guy that can at least adequately play various positions…

Hairston just needs to go….

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:25 AM

True. At least Frandsen can fill in. The Nats have pitchers that can play better LF.

115. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Long game…. 530 is gonna come way too fast….

• NatsLady - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I hear you there. Wednesday is my LOOOOOOONG work day.

116. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Just as we discuss Nats pinch-hits the Rockies deliver another pinch-hitter hit. Make contact and you never know what can happen.

117. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:08 AM

We have to change the defense, these bloops are killing us.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:10 AM

It’s going to happen and especially in this ballpark.

• Steady Eddie - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Huge outfield in Coors makes Texas Leaguers and gappers pretty common, the former even if you’re playing at normal depth.

• Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Werth just isn’t fast enough anymore. He did at least try for a sliding catch this time though. Have to give him credit for that.

118. scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Ok. I love Zim but he’s always hurt. He really needs to DH in the AL

His arms a noodle. Smart move is to move him for some prospects and OFer and Werth to first. Thoughts?

• NatsLady - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:38 AM

He’s not moving. Has a no-trade clause and 5-10 rights.

119. scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:13 AM

No more base runners plz

120. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Untuck. No doubles defense works! Good play Harp!

121. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Two games up. Never look back. Here we go!

122. conatsguy - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Great win Nats. You folks on the east coast go to bed now. :-)

• stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Too pumped!

123. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Wasn’t pretty, but a good win. Think I’ll check out some Braves blogs.

124. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM

I thought we were up 3 games on the braves at 1 point… But whatevs… Another curly W in the books!

125. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:21 AM

And now we wait…

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:25 AM

U know its a hammy. 15 day dl

Tymo and Walters are on fire – add them and loose scott h and get Ryan healthy for stretch run

126. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Here’s to Ryan just having a cramp… *fingers crossed* *4 leaf clover clutched* * rabbits foot in sight*

127. scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM

34-19 with Zim

21-24 without

• David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:10 AM

That’s a little misleading because other guys were hurt at the same time as him. But no doubt we will miss him

128. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Walters was not in the Syracuse lineup tonight, but that’s obviously unrelated to RZ.

129. scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Ray said 8-10 days. Min

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:31 AM

If it’s a pull he’s exactly right. They are calling it a strain. The fact they are doing a MRI is concern enough.

130. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Not a hamstring cramp. Calling it a strain.

• stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:31 AM

And a strain is by definition a partial tear.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Yes. The fact they are doing a MRI probably will be a DL stint for 15 days.

131. Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Oh Ray. Don’t BS us. We know Espi. Espi is a friend of ours. Espi is no Ryan Zimmerman at the plate.

132. scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Man. I just saw every hit on Zimm and most of them were very well located.

133. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Damn, was hoping for just a cramp… Hopefully no 15 day DL…

134. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:33 AM

The good news is JZim looked good and the Nats won. The bad news is RZim to the DL probably for 15 days.

• Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I didnt think JZimm looked good… I thought he was extremely lucky as there were a bunch of meatballs he threw… But I’m hopeful he felt no discomfort after his outting….

And of course the Nats won…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:40 AM

If Jayson Werth catches that ball in LF then JZim leaves the game giving up 2 runs.

He made some big pitches and got burned by the thin air in Colorado.

Like Fister yesterday, good pitchers can get away with it when they don’t have their best. Yes, as we saw JZim was missing his spots with the 4-seam but he kept it from getting away.

• Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Werth can hardly catch the ball in RF, much less LF. :-)

135. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:33 AM

I’d love to see Walters get some ABs in that Crackerbox in Cincinnati.

136. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:36 AM

With RZim’s history a DL stint seems like the wisest decision even if the injury isn’t worst case.

137. adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:42 AM

Anybody else see what looked like to me that Harper “showed the ball” to some fans after he caught that last out?

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:49 AM

I saw that. I thought it was douchelike…maybe though he was showing it to ump???

• Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I thought Harper was considering throwing the ball to the fans, and then realized he should probably bring the last out ball to the dugout. Is that the “game ball” or something? Or maybe Rafi keeps them? Anyway, the expression on Bryce’s face was by no means “douchelike” in my opinion.

• Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:53 AM

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Well if he showed them the ball and was like psych! That’s a bush move. If as u say, r u right. But we r talking Bryce here….

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:56 AM

He totally dud that. I can only hope they had been giving him enough crap to have that coming.

138. Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:54 AM

WordPress is now posting duplicate comments. Ok, I give up.

139. natsjackinfl - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:27 AM

Steven Souza, come on down!!!It’s your turn to get some regular ab’s in the show.