Jul 23, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
First up, the news we all knew was coming: Ryan Zimmerman is headed to the disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The only question at this point is how long the Nationals’ third baseman will be out. It’ll be at least 15 days, obviously, and for now Zimmerman is being replaced on the active roster by Zach Walters, who was recalled from Class AAA Syracuse and is in Denver for this afternoon’s series finale.
As you would expect given the situation, Anthony Rendon shifts back to third base now, with Danny Espinosa starting at second base. What was not expected was that Jayson Werth is not in the Nats’ lineup today, either, for reasons yet to be explained. So Bryce Harper makes his first start of the season in right field, with Scott Hairston getting a rare start in left field (and an even-rarer chance to bat second against Colorado lefty Jorge de la Rosa).
With a depleted lineup, the onus falls on Stephen Strasburg to keep the Rockies in check all afternoon, never an easy task at hitter-friendly Coors Field.
Enjoy the game and the conversation as always…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 3:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, 1580 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Partly cloudy, 91 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to CF
CF Denard Span
LF Scott Hairston
3B Anthony Rendon
1B Adam LaRoche
SS Ian Desmond
RF Bryce Harper
2B Danny Espinosa
C Jose Lobaton
RHP Stephen Strasburg
RF Charlie Blackmon
SS Josh Rutledge
LF Corey Dickerson
3B Nolan Arenado
1B Ben Paulsen
CF Drew Stubbs
C Mochael McKenry
2B D.J. LeMahieu
LHP Jorge de la Rosa
HP Paul Emmel
1B Jordan Baker
2B Chris Conroy
3B Jerry Meals (cc)
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'
- Nats hope to keep bats rolling vs. Phillies
- MLB Power Rankings: Red Sox, Dodgers flying high
- Nats' offense continues to roll in win vs. Phillies
- Michael Taylor showing Nats glimpses of his potential
- Fister gets the better of Hamels in 5-2 win in Philadelphia