Game 99: Nats at Rockies

Jul 23, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

First up, the news we all knew was coming: Ryan Zimmerman is headed to the disabled list with a strained right hamstring. The only question at this point is how long the Nationals’ third baseman will be out. It’ll be at least 15 days, obviously, and for now Zimmerman is being replaced on the active roster by Zach Walters, who was recalled from Class AAA Syracuse and is in Denver for this afternoon’s series finale.

As you would expect given the situation, Anthony Rendon shifts back to third base now, with Danny Espinosa starting at second base. What was not expected was that Jayson Werth is not in the Nats’ lineup today, either, for reasons yet to be explained. So Bryce Harper makes his first start of the season in right field, with Scott Hairston getting a rare start in left field (and an even-rarer chance to bat second against Colorado lefty Jorge de la Rosa).

With a depleted lineup, the onus falls on Stephen Strasburg to keep the Rockies in check all afternoon, never an easy task at hitter-friendly Coors Field.

Enjoy the game and the conversation as always…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at COLORADO ROCKIES

UMPIRES
HP Paul Emmel
1B Jordan Baker
2B Chris Conroy
3B Jerry Meals (cc)

1. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Swap Hairston and Harper and I like this lineup…at least as much as you can given who is in it. Hairston, Espinosa and Lobaton aren’t exactly murderers row.

2. natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM

mehh, poor Zimmy.

But lets keep on keepin’ on. Hairston second huh?

Enjoy the game everyone…

3. natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM

One thing I’m remembering from yesterday but have yet to hear anyone mention is Werth’s hand. In his at bat later in the game (8th or 9th inning) it was clearly bothering him (it was obvious from the Rockies telecast anyway)…hopefully it’s nothing big but he looked like he was in a little bit of pain.

It was right before he smoked that double if I remember correctly.

4. micksback1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Very happy to see ALR’s huge HR last night, I hope he is back, but nevertheless, i am the one who has been busting on him, so, I will take my spanking like man and in the immortal words of Kevin Bacon, “Than you sir may I have another”

lol

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Mick, you watch too much of the results which in this case was the box scores and you aren’t looking at the process which in this case how he is swinging the bat.

When you take the emotion out of it which is difficult to do as a fan, you can see what’s what.

Rendon was swinging the bat well and not getting the results. On Sunday, 2 of the Web Gems were plays to rob Rendon of hits and even Monday he stroked the ball well, just at fielders.

With ALR, he looked fluid with his swing and just had his timing off. Not the same issue 2 weeks ago. Like I said, give him some room on his timing and yesterday he got big hits.

This team is cranking.

• Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Hey, the guy was eating his crow with grace and a smile. No need to pile on.

5. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:08 PM

At least it’s only a strain, not a tear. It could still keep Zimmermann out for a while, but at least he’ll be back in time to DH in the World Series.

Rox pitcher today won’t be as easy on the Nats lineup as the first 2 were. Good opportunity for Strasburg to step up after his last outing. No mistake pitches!

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Gotta think that Werth is sitting because he needs the rest, not because MW is playing match-ups.

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Like I posted up a little ways…during the at bat where he hit that double Werth’s hand was visibly bothering him.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I’m just hoping he isn’t hurt. It’s an odd move. If it’s just rest which is odd coming off 4 off-days, then he should’ve sat last night.

Putting out these split-squad lineups is frustrating.

• texnat1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:32 PM

What about bringing back The Hammer as a pinch hitter back up OF/1B? How is he doing this year?

6. jd - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Ghost,

You’ve been touting Aaron Hill. You do realize that he is doing worse than Espinosa this year with a .284 OBP (Espi is .282) and crappy defense? (-0.3 WAR)

Cody Ross?

.238 .287 .306 Crappy defense and -0.9 WAR and a huge contract.

Hairston while sucking horribly is only -0.3 WAR.

I,m all for upgrading. But you gotta do better than that.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:23 PM

jd, you’re smarter than that. Cody Ross is the best pinch-hitter in baseball with one of the largest sample sizes. .385 Batting average

Hill has a strong BA and plays fine defense.

Hairston. Are you kidding me? Do you understand if he played full-time would be over a -3.0 WAR since WAR is cumulative?????????????

I’ve addressed the issue of large salaries dozens of times. You take Ross and Hill and demand Ziegler to offset the trade. Hill isn’t my 1st choice but the pickings are slim. Going with Espinosa as an everyday player clearly isn’t the answer—–it’s INSANITY!

• letswin3 - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Yeah, I’m worried that Danny is going to be a black hole offensively while having to play second every day. My only hope rests with what looks to be an improved level of acceptance to his role …. by that I mean that he appears to be more content, and that could possibly lead to an newfound ability to accept guidance at the plate …. something I don’t think he could do earlier. If he just sucks in light offensively, I would not be surprised to see Walters given a shot. Walters has been playing more second base recently, and I don’t think that was without purpose.

• jd - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Cody Ross is owed $8 mil for this year and next. His pinch hit numbers are good because he gets lots of playing time. The DBacks didn’t pay him $26 mil for 3 years to be a pinch hitter. That’s a non starter.

Hill’s average is not strong and in any event when your OBP is .284 I don’t care if you hit .220 or .256. He is also not playing fine defense.

Unlike Ross Hairston is only making $2.5 mil.Hairston can be an effective pinch hitter against left handed pitching if he gets the lion share of the starts against left handed pitching. He proved he could hit when he hit 20 HR’s for the Mets who don’t exactly play in a bandbox.

Don’t mis represent my comment, I think Hairston stinks because we are not in position to let him start against all left handed pitchers and he plays poor defense. I am just not buying your replacement options.

I also don’t understand how getting Ziegler offsets the fact that you are paying Ross $8 mil a year to pinch hit. Please explain.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I have written each time that it would take a big offset of cash. Ross is on a deal through 2015 and extremely overpaid. You only take him with most of that eaten or the offset throw in Ziegler who is underpaid and make a smart package.

It’s money at this point. There will be a huge windfall for making the post-season and beyond.

Nats need a better bench. Can’t think of a better XFactor player than Cody Ross.

• Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I’d be interesting in hearing what package of players/prospects you would part with for Ross, Hill, and Ziegler that you think the D-Backs might actually take. (Which means don’t say Espi, Detwiler, and Hairston).

I thought Hill was a pretty decent defensive player. Didn’t he rob our guys a few times when we were out there?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Won’t take much as it’s a salary dump for them. I’d give them Ryan Mattheus and Cutter Dykstra

• pburm9qp - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Ziegler makes $5M/year through next year and a team option at basically the same price for 2016. Not really that much of a bargain, though there is a little surplus value if he can continue to put up 1.7 WAR seasons. Regardless, he seems like an expensive bullpen piece to pick up when you already have an expensive bullpen.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:17 PM

You pay for quality. Playoff revenue will more than offset it.

• pburm9qp - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Ok, to summarize your idea:

Nats Get:
        Ross and his $20 million in salary and his -0.8 WAR (with D-Backs kicking in cash)
        Hill and his $26 million in salary and -0.6 WAR (with D-Backs kicking in cash)
        Ziegler and his $7 in salary and 0.9 WAR (with D-Backs kicking in cash)

D-Backs get:
        a useful reliever that is pre arb.
        a flier on a minor league infielder
        salary relief and roster flexibility.

Nats also get:
        to cut Hariston and the money we have committed to him.
        to demote Blevins and the prospect that we lost to get him.

Seriously, I can’t see a world where any reasonable GM would make this deal.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:29 PM

No, not Aaron Hill yet. Wait for RZim med report.

Also DBacks send cash. Nats get top reliever and the best pinch-hitter.

• pburm9qp - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Unless you are the DBacks GM, then I would jump on this in a heartbeat. This would be an AMAZING deal for them.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Up until yesterday the Nats greatest need was bench and another proven bullpen arm to take pressure off if Clip and Storen. You get both with this trade.

Cash of course would need to come the Nats way.

7. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Nats won’t give details on RZim injury until after the game.

8. philipd763 - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Stras better throw a shutout! He overdue for a good game.

9. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I dunno. Is it possible to steal a sweep? That’s what we will need to do today.

10. jd - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Zim out of the lineup for an extended period of time is significant. He was really seeing the ball well lately and making hard contact just about every time out. The drop off from him to Espinosa is huge.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:04 PM

I think the Espinosa off-set won’t be as large in the first few games as Espi is playing with good mechanics. Unfortunately his mechanics start slipping as he plays more. It’s odd but that’s the Espi we all know.

If this goes long-term, Nats are going to be forced to make a trade. Can’t go too long with Espi playing every day.

11. philipd763 - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Question…. With the exception of TyMo and Lombo in 2012, have we ever had any reliable offense out of our bench since the Expos became the Nats? I have thought long and hard and can’t come up with one name.

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I know Bernadina that same year was pretty good

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Actually nvm he did well as a starter…not great stats PHing

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Depending on what you mean by “bench” player, Morse in 2010.

• philipd763 - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Forgot about the Shark. Good bench in 2012 and we won nearly 100 games. Weak benches are killers!

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:54 PM

12. natsfan1a - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:31 PM

May get to see a bit of this one in real time after a couple of DVR speed-watch games. Feel better soon, Zimm! Go, NATS!!

13. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP
    Jayson Werth was just given a day off. No injury.

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Well thats good to hear.

• letswin3 - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM

He shook his hand at least twice while in what I think was his last at bat last night, and looked something like a guy who just got a stinger.

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Was MW the source?

Because by now we’re familiar enough with his careful and creative use of language to know that “no injury” has to be parsed, and doesn’t exclude possibilities like “a little banged up” vs “felt a little twinge.”

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:55 PM

HH, I’m with you. Read between the lines.

14. langleyclub - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Understand the lefty versus righty argument, but batting Scott Hairston in the #2 spot mystifies me. His .658 OPS against LHP is the worst of anyone in the starting line-up. It’s not like he fits the profile of a #2 hitter, Strange move.

15. Danny - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:42 PM

For those fretting about the lineup. Remember, we have former number 1 pick SS on the bump against a depleted as well Rox lineup. Time to show us a gem SS.

• David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I consider a quality start a gem at Coors Field

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:07 PM

+1 to this comment, and another to your comment below, re: his curve.

SS has pitched at Coors Field once before, in 2012 – 3 ER in 6IP, 8 SO in a game the Nats lost 4-2.

So I guess that does qualify as a quality start, but not the outcome we want.

Per brooksbaseball, he used the curve about 25% of the time in that game, and gave up 1 single on it and got 2 Ks.

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM

That’s what scares me. Wish it was Fist or Raoark.

16. natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Scott Hairston vs De La Rosa:

.333/.455/.778 2 Home Runs, 2 Doubles, 4 Walks, 18 At Bats

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Not a huge sample size, but successful

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Put up the Hamels slashline and then what he did against him before the All Star break. Maybe Hairston lights him up and maybe he doesn’t but I’d put my money on McLouth or Frandsen just the same.

Hairston isn’t close to the player he was 3 years ago. Matt Williams keeps trotting him out there. If Hairston has a big day, great. It doesn’t change the fact that it’s still a net-net waste of a roster spot.

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Ghost

I think the real lesson is that these small sample size match-up #s don’t mean that much, period.

• jd - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:16 PM

MW keeps trotting him out there?

He has 48 PAall year.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM

48 too many. I hope he ounsihes the ball today but there are plenty of others who can do the same in a LHP platoon. Clearly you don’t get it.

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Yeah I mean if he’s gonna be on a the team then this is the game he should play in. We’ve already won the series, the team is one of the worst in the league and it’s against a lefty who he has good numbers against. He needs to get some reps in. I can see questioning why he is battting second..

I’ve noticed lot of people in this fanbase (not directed at you I’m just commenting here after reading twitter for 20 minl) live and die with every line-up change/loss (and even every win sometimes)…as a lot of us know baseball is a hell of a long season and having Hairston start one game is not the end of the world..I don’t know why people are so impatient..maybe because the city is so used to football where every game/line-up does matter? idk…

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:44 PM

And poor wording on my behalf..of course every game matters…but I think you guys know what I mean…

• jd - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:55 PM

ghost,

With all due respect. I’m just calling you out for your Jihad against the 25th man on the roster the importance of whom is marginal at best. When you say MW keeps trotting him out there and he only has 48 at bats all year it’s not a debatable issue, you are wrong.

In addition I think the package you propose makes no sense, we can disagree but then again you could be wrong. It happens.

• natsjackinfl - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Natsbro, I’m with you on all the consternation over every line up change. I watched the games when Lastings Milledge played almost every day.

Watching Scott Hairston every now and then doesn’t bother me at all.

If Rizzo thinks he can improve the bench, I am pretty sure he’ll make a move. Until then, I’ll continue to enjoy the games.

17. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Strasburg’s changeup plays well at Coors. The curve scares me a bit.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:59 PM

It should. The ball moves differently in the thin air. Place the fastball and go from there.

• ArVAFan - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Thank you for posting that link. After reading that, I expect that Fister and Zimmermann will be just fine in their next starts.

18. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko 13s
    Jayson Werth dealing w/ sore R knee, per MW. Has been lingering lately. Thinking is to sit him today & he’ll get 2 days off w/ off-day tom.

So not an “injury” per se, but he IS banged up

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:13 PM

There you go!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Shaking my head. Winder if he hurt it on that awkward celebration on the walkoff as someone grabbed him while he was in the air.

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Whatever it is, hope a couple of days off are enough.

19. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Adam Kilgore @AdamKilgoreWP · 10m
    While there’s no MRI results, Williams said Zimmerman felt worse today than last night. It’ll be longer than Ramos’s recent 15-day recovery.

Sigh. This makes the trade deadline more interesting

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Not sounding good. The MRI will tell the severity. RZim also a slow healer.

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Maybe he could borrow Soriano’s hyperbaric chamber?

• David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I’m guessing at least a month given his track record.

20. adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Thoughts on if Walters should start instead of Espinoza?

• David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Against LHP? No. Against RHP? Meh. Not convinced he’s an upgrade, but I guess we could try.

• langleyclub - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM

How has Walters played at 2B in Cuse? He has a gun for an arm, but it does not appear that the Nats have a lot of confidence in Walters as defensive player. BTW, who now plays first if LaRoche needs a day off or gets dinged up? Fransden? Werth?

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Frandsen will back up first

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Walters like Danny is a switch hitter, but iirc, is supposed to be better from the left than the right side.

So perhaps work him in, platooning him with Danny, and see how it goes?

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM

He’ll get a few spot starts here and there in situations like today I think (day game, series is already won)..but I expect Espi to be in there for the most part…he’s had a lot of time on the bench (which I think accounts for the few errors we saw the last couple games, maybe a little antsy)..but with steady playing time his defense will be great like it always is. Now as for the bat who knows..

21. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Just my opinion, but if you are going to start him, give him 5 in a row so he can see a consistent number of big league pitches. Might as well throw him in there when we have to face Cueto and Company this weekend. We’ll see if he can produce against a playoff caliber pitching staff.

22. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Nice lineup. Danny, Lobo, Hairston and the pitchers spot? Guys have been playing great. But you may as well concede with this lineup. Need a no hitter by Stras.

23. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:57 PM

With all the positive waves on this board, how can we go wrong today?

24. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 2:58 PM

I don’t think it’s too much to ask are NO 1 pick and so called ace to carry us once in a while.

25. RPrecupjr - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Ok, just to play Devil’s (Danny’s) Advocate here:

Danny has started 67 games for the Nats this season (more than I thought, that’s for sure). In the games he’s started, he has played the entire game in 62 of them. In those 62 games, the Nats record is:

36-26.

Surprised? So was I, but not as much as I bet most of you (Deuces, GOSM, et al) might be at this point.

Which brings me to this….individual stats don’t mean squat if the team is winning. My guess is that Nats pitchers are more confident with strong defense behind them, more willing to pitch to contact without the fear of the weak link at third. Also realize the vast majority of those games were while Harper, Ramos and Zim were out.

And Natsbro, Werth did indeed get jammed on an inside fastball last night, which led to an audible reaction from him and about 20 seconds or so of massaging his right thumb. I agree with your “stinger” diagnosis, thank god it wasn’t cold, because that hurts twice as bad. It didn’t seem like his knee was bothering him when he ran down that ball in the gap last night, but who knows, that might have been what angered it. I’m fine with him getting a day off, Carp and FP were already talking about it last night – day game after night game, already won the series, etc. I’m all for keeping our foot on the gas (and the necks of the Barves) but if guys need a day and you can combine it with an off day, no problem.

• natszee - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

So take out April, rinse and repeat.

• Section 222 - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Hmm. Well, you should probably throw in the 5 games that he started but was removed in the late innings, since those are the ones where he was probably pinch hit for. In that case, the record is 37-30. And no, I’m not surprised. The Nats played half decently with Espi in the lineup, no thanks to him. They’ve played a lot better — 12-5, since Harper returned and Espi was mostly riding the pine. But the point is not that the team can’t win with him, it’s that his bat is just too awful play every day, and, contrary to the continued hopes of some here, that’s not going to change.

Frankly, I think the Nats pitchers are more confident when they have a lineup behind them that is capable of scoring runs. Do you really think they feel better going out there with the lineup we’ll have this weekend (once Werth returns to the lineup), than they did last night?

• RPrecupjr - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I think two of the three (Fister and Roark) will, as they both tend to throw more ground balls. Of course, a professional shouldn’t be concerned with what’s behind him, and should just concentrate on what HE does….but you can’t tell me, after watching that pathetic “throw” from Zim to Rendon at second the other day, that that wouldn’t be in the back of your mind, “Not only can he not throw to first, he can’t even throw to second” which makes you try to throw the perfect pitch every time and you end up nibbling and walking people or throwing BP like Stras in the first inning today.

26. Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Thank goodness – not another interference call on the play at 2B.

27. thomaswell - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:20 PM

lucky we have lefty up today. At least Hariston & Danny do better against lefties

28. natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:23 PM

You guys see Hairston draw that error? Matt Williams is a genius!! ;)

29. Danny - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Jeez. Do they have to get an XBH every inning…

30. natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Yeah that breaking ball didn’t do too much…

31. Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM

That pitch to Dickerson was not a bad pitch.

32. natszee - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Oh, it’s early …. Start firing up the excuse machine.

33. natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM

gah I mean that was great contact on a breaking ball dropping into the dirt. Can only give the hitter credit there

34. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Remember what I said about the curve…

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Span has to charge that liner harder to at least freeze the runner at 2nd. He held back and played it as if nobody was on base. Deke the runner and do what you need to do.

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Yeah the speed that was hit at I expected to be able to hold the runner to second..

35. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Awful sequence for Strasburg. You have Dickerson 0-2 and you have to get the high cheese by him with 95. After that you have to bounce the curveball. Dickerson met it out front and knew it was coming.

• adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM

After that you have to bounce the curveball.

Do curves work halfway decently at Mile High . . . ?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM

They don’t break as well in thin air.

36. RPrecupjr - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Note to Stephen:

As every Rockies’ starting pitcher can attest, the curveball DOES NOT WORK at altitude. Please don’t throw it again today.

That is all.

37. natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Alright cmon Stras! Get your shit in gear.

38. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Does Strasburg formulate a plan with McCatty? This is just awful. A bunch of lousy hitters lighting him up.

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM

These guys aren’t lousy hitters…

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:41 PM

The lowest average in the Rockies line up today for a position player is .282….I know BA can’t tell shit..but it shows the team can at least hit.

• adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Lousy hitters? The first two guys that got hits were hitting .300+ this season.

The newbie who just got a hit has been getting hits in every game he’s played so far.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM

They shouldn’t be hitting Strasburg like this. He had Dickerson 0-2. Strasburg didn’t execute.

Good pitching beats good hitting.

• adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Yes, good pitching should beat good hitting.

I’m just pointing out that these aren’t punch-n-Judy hitters. Every guy that got a hit that inning was batting over .300. If that’s lousy, then . . . .

Did you notice nobody in the Nats lineup is even hitting .280?

39. mdmcommish - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Ace huh? What a joke….#apologists

• adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:41 PM

#LoD

• Danny - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Any criticism is LoD? Strasburg’s inconsistency this hear is a concern. Unacceptable start.

• adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:48 PM

No, not all criticism is LoD. The “you call him an ace?” trope, however, is well past it’s time already, and, at this point, it’s just a #strawman.

40. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM

3 earned runs. Pitch sequence and selection stinks.

41. mdmcommish - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:40 PM

And the nats lineup may not have the firepower today to recover….Lobaton, hairston, danny

42. Drew - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Strasburg’s troubles are frustrating.

Then again, if Strasburg is your weak link, that is one fine rotation.

43. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Blame it on the negative waves

44. unkyd59 - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM

So… On the radio, it sounded like a BABIP EXTRAVAGANZA!!! C’mon, Gods of Baseball…. Give a fella a break, will ya…?

45. philipd763 - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Roark and Fister are the only reliable starters in the rotation. Strasburg, Gio and Zimmermann are in noticeable decline and that should be a huge concern.

46. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Can’t watch today, but it sounds like Stras won’t be signing with the Rockies when he becomes a FA.

Wife says he needs a designated pitcher to handle the first inning. She has a point.

47. thomaswell - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:47 PM

on the bright side, it was 3-0 last night.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:48 PM

What was the score after the 1st inning?

48. thomaswell - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:51 PM

it was 0-0 after 1

49. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:52 PM

A team without Tulowitzki and Morneau and Carlos Gonzalez and Rosario you hand them 3 runs in the 1st inning.

50. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Hmmm, interesting, Kolko mentioned Chase Utley as a target. Make sure you attack him for saying that.

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM

I thought you were in charge of attacking Dan K?

(I kid, I kid!)

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I sure didn’t see any Colorado beat reporters sending sympathy to the Nats as in “Nats can’t catch any breaks”.

51. scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:55 PM

ok…lets clarify something here.

I’m tired of the harping about LOD/Trolls. Its stupid. Sure there are some real doom and gloom peeps and even trolls…but most are fans that are either upset at the play, decisons, managin or talent of the team. No fan has to like every palyer, or manager, or decision. Fans have the right to express their feelings…and many times they are quite right. Being a fan is not being Johnny rosy glassed all the time.

Put it this wsy if you are American do yuo like evrey law? every poliiticain. If you express that you dont are you then a communist?

Stop it. Rebutt somebody politley. If somebod is going over the top, ignore them.

Sheesh guys.

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:57 PM

what kind of WP crappy comment module has not edit or spell check. THis isnt 1997!

(and i suck at typing)

• Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I agree that genuine trolls are better ignored than engaged with, tho I will confess that I sometimes have trouble living up to that.

But I am a little confused about how a defense of freedom of speech can include a command that (only some) speakers “Stop it.”

• adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM

And other fans wonder why some folks come on here only when things look bad and then criticize. If I’m pushing back on that, then I am also expressing my feelings.

I don’t need somebody (to pick an example I often use) on to come here April 25 to tell us all that the “season is already over”. And then keep coming back to criticize.

I don’t push back against reasonable criticism. But I do push back against what I perceive to be unreasonable criticism and also against name-calling.

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM

That’s 100% fair wonk

• adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM

thanks!

52. nats128 - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I just got to a TV. What happend

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 3:59 PM

We got a run in the first off an error.

Stras gave up 3. First he gave up a double. Then Dickerson hit an 0 – 2 curve that was heading towards the dirt down the line to drive in a run..Stras walked a guy…then gave up two more runs.

• nats128 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Good 2nd inning. Hold em Stras

53. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I feel a Hairston HR here.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Make that just another ugly K with RISP. MAKE CONTACT!

• nats128 - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM

1st and 3rd and Bryce Harper at the plate. Would have been the time to pinch hit with Jayson Werth. That hurts.

54. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Span’s been raking since the all star break. His 1 st AB last Saturday against Garza was a thing of beauty.

55. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Nats scored seven each of the last two nights. No reason to think they won’t do so again. Colorado baseball is a freak show.

56. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Scott Hairston exceeds the limits of my optimism, however. He must go.

57. Danny - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM

All of these Ks are annoying.

58. philipd763 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Utley would be an interesting addition but he just started a two year $27 million extension and his wheels may be shot.

• Danny - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM

So many reasons why that won’t happen.
      The price
      His contract
      Intra division trade
      His age/injury history
      Need isn’t pressing enough to ignore those facts.

• natsbro - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Yeah and just thinking of the logistics of a trade I’m sure the Phillies would prefer to send him outside of the division..

• philipd763 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM

That factor doesn’t matter much because the Phillies aren’t contenders. They will trade him to any team willing to part with a couple of prospects and pick up his salary. His bad wheels and the size of his contract are the major impediments. When healthy, he still can hit though.

• natsbro - Jul 24, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I’m sure it still factors in. If we give an offer and another team outside of the division could equal that deal, I’m sure they’d go with the other team. (And there would be other teams outside the division with offers).

Not that I actually want to see this happen ha

59. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Strasburg has figured it out it appears. If he gives up 3 runs over 6 or 7, that’s a pretty damn good job in this ballpark. So let’s wait to see the final result.

• Danny - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:20 PM

His trend lately is to work a multirun inning around lots of zeros. Decide to get it out of the way in the first again.

60. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:23 PM

7 Ks in 3.1 innings? Gah.

• stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM

8 in 4. Good lard.

61. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:25 PM

It’s almost like a lineup without Werth, Ramos and Zim is going to struggle.

• Danny - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Or a lineup without Tulo Morneau Cuddyer and Cargo. Not feeling that excuse. It is a 25 man roster.

• David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:34 PM

We’ve won 5 in a row against this team. They’re the worst team in the NL. It’s not like they’re succeeding despite the odds. But they’re not going to lose every single night. Plus, this game is far from over. My point was just that it’d be a much bigger struggle today

• stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Like I said before it started, we will have to steal this one if we are going to win it.

62. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM

8 Ks for DeLaRosa. Ties a season high and thru 4 innings

63. chaz11963 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM

8 Ks in 4 innings. Has to be one of the worst 4 innings that I can recall,

64. Faraz Shaikh - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:29 PM

WOW that whole barrett vs barnes thing was stupid.

65. Hiram Hover - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Stras going back to the curve, a little?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:31 PM

He figured out how it’s dancing in the thin air.

66. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Here we go. Time for catch up ball.

67. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Span getting bat on ball. Take note . Hairston 0-3 with 0-2 RISP. smh

68. Danny - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Hairston :( throw us a bone pllz.

69. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Gotta hold them, now Stras. Next inning Nats break through

70. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM

OMG with this guy. I miss Lombardozzi. MW should be ashamed of himself for playing Hairston. Isn’t there anybody else? Stevie Wonder perhaps

71. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM

No game more important than the next. To pencil in Walter Mathaus old lineup is just irresponsible.

72. philipd763 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Strasburg is getting hammered.

• stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM

You might consider doing the same.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Good one stoatva! Still chuckling.

73. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Brought the gas on that last one…..

74. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I would not have bet on Stubbs being on the back end of a DP.

75. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Great team job on getting out of that without giving up a run!

I wonder if anybody keeps stats as to how often a guy get stranded in scoring position. Seems like Span has to hold a club record for getting left on base.Last month he was stranded at 3rd five times when he got there with either no outs, or one out.

76. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 4:58 PM

We knock out the Rox ace this inning. Believe it

• nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

or not…..

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Anyone hear what FP just said about Bryce ? It’s a fair point.

77. stoatva - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Was strike two to Harper as far outside as Gameday had it?

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

It was outside but still De La Rosa is schooling Harper to an embarassing level. Bryce doesn’t see these type of lefties well at all.

78. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Damn it, Espy.

79. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM

On the plus side, the Rockies middle relief are re-treads previously released by the Mets. At some point this season Latroy is registering for Social Security benefits.

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Way to go Fran!

80. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Once again Stras pitches an average game. And please don’t read the K. Stats to me. Once again he’s in line for a loss. That’s all that matters.

81. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Butcher boy rarely works and just did. Strasburg leaves a jam.

82. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Hairston and that beat arm. You have to be kidding me.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Besides his 0-3, Hairston and his defense shows up again. The throw was accurate but just had no mustard on it. He didn’t charge it aggressively.

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Can’t hit. Can’t throw. Can’t field. But yet he is on the field. Why ghost why?

83. scnatsfan - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Harper just appears lost… again. And at least one inning a game SS has to blow up.

Nice throw Hairston. Why is this guy still here. Bobbles the pickup and can’t throw to get a catcher.

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM

He is lost. I can’t believe this guy is so bad at the plate.

84. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM

9 hits thru 5 and a third. Not good enough. Not at all. This guy will never live up to the hype. And a terrible throw by a terrible ball player. My God make some moves. Shame on you MW for throwing this game away.

85. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Awful throw by Hairston. I’d say Harper has him, but they don’t even run on Harper

• scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:27 PM

They run on zim?

• scnatsfan - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM

We will never know

86. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Scott Hairston should not be in a Nats uniform tomorrow.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Shouldn’t have been in a Nats uniform to begin with. No reason he should have made the squad out of Spring Training.

• natszee - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM

+10

87. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM

JZimm got hit much harder than Strasburg. Coors Field is a tough place to pitch.

88. chaz11963 - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Hairston is no value added. His one positive is supposed to be a good power bat against lefties. He’s 0-3 today so far.

89. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Gotta win this now. And if Scott Hairston is batting I’m going to need a new TV when this is over.

90. scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM

That was just dumb

91. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Who called a bunt there. Noooooooooooo Spans been hitting and he’s a hard dbl play. Bad bad managing

92. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Awful bunt from Span. How does he go from making plays to that type of effort.

93. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM

BTW, Frandsen with a PINCH HIT HIT

94. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM

At least he pinch hit

95. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Crappy bunt by Span, but why bunt at all with the Loboton on 2nd?

• texnat1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Why on earth was Span bunting there? Did he do it on his own hoping for a base hit? They guy is one of the hottest hitters and you have a slow guy on 2nd? And you are down 2 runs not 1?

96. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM

What does it say when you pinch hit for the two spot?

97. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

That was our chance. Oh well. I hate coors field

98. scnatsfan - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Again we go back to a team that can’t drive runs in when it matters

99. scmargenau - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Well that was just awful.

100. coop202 - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:34 PM

A 4-2 strasburg pitched game with a ton of runners left on base… Sounds familiar

101. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I also don’t get using Werth in that situation to pinch-hit for the guy who supposedly hits De La Rosa so well. LMAO, like I said, Hairston is not the guy who was killing lefty pitching 2 to 3 years ago.

Failed twice today with RISP and a big 0-3. Defense is awful. But yes, he’s a great teammate.

102. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Now Barrett walks the leadoff batter on 4 pitchers.

103. nats106 - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Did Davey Johnson make a guest appearance at Coors today?

104. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I concede. Then again, I conceded when I saw the spring training split squad starting today.

105. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM

That can’t happen Lobaton. Pitch in the dirt that must be kept in front of you.

106. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Lobaton then gets lazy and doesn’t set up to throw to 1st with a clear lane.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Thank you for confirming the throwing lane fundamentals from FP

107. David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Okay, this game got sloppy. These games happen sometimes. We won 5/6 from the Rockies. If people complain about that, get some perspective.

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Agree David. What is concerning moving forward is that our bench guys are just not very good. Now with Zimm out you have to worry. Steve Lombardozzi were are you?

• David Proctor - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM

hopefully Rizzo makes a move for the bench

• natszee - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:49 PM

+5 on Lombo …. I would love to see #1 back!

108. scnatsfan - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Loboton isn’t good enough to play with less then 100% effort

109. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Now there’s a play you don’t see very often.

110. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM

ALR got the error? I call BS.

111. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM

FP, a math lesson, 4×90=360 not 380

• scnatsfan - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM

He is not here for his math. But he was married to a Playboy Playmate so that makes him pretty smart.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM

She booted him to the curb. Ask him who is paying the child support.

• scnatsfan - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:09 PM

She can’t take his memories lol

112. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM

If nothing less today was a rehearsal for some guys who just must be gone if this team is going anywhere. Barrett, Blevins, Hairston.. Kurt Suzuki is available.

113. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Look at how Rendon gets to 3rd to accept that throw in perfect position. Other 3rd baseman should take note.

114. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Maybe Barrett can do a staredown with a mirror because that inning stunk. 4 pitch walk to leadoff the inning.

• scnatsfan - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM

If Rizzo gets the right arm then he will be packing for syracuse until rosters expand I feel.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Need Treinen back here in the bullpen until Rizzo upgrades the pen.

115. scnatsfan - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:49 PM

In his last 52 starts SS has 15 wins. 15.

In 51 De La Rosa, on a last place team, has 27.

Tell me again why I shouldn’t be concerned about our ace?

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

He’s not our ace. He’s our 5. 1 game playoff what is you choice of pitcher top to bottom. Tell me.

• natszee - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Nope … Not #5 … I’ll go with #3 but one more outing with the normal blowup inning(s) and I’ll revise to # 4. Gio has some work to do to climb the ladder

116. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Time to clear the bench.

117. chaz11963 - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

wow, they really fell apart there in the 7th. They’ve looked terrible at the plate all day. Is De La Rosa really pitching that good today???

118. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM

In order 1 to 5. Fister, Zimm, Roark, GIO, Stras.

119. davecydell - Jul 23, 2014 at 5:58 PM

My card [it differs from mlb for my reasons] has Nats 1/14 risp, 5 left…

120. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Move onto Cincinnati. Still in first place. Let’s get our starters out there and keep this going. Just call the game. This is crazy

121. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:02 PM

The Nats have quit. Why don’t the umps

• coop202 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Man 1 offday and the fans jump ship. Would’ve been nice to sweep or at least play a cleaner game, but 2/3 in Colorado no matter how lost they are is alright. Let’s go marlins (1 more night only)

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Not jumping ship. WS is ours. Just need to get some better bench guys. We are very good with yesterday’s lineup. Today’s lineup is a 100 loss lineup.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:08 PM

They only come out in lousy games. Coincidence? I think not. Plenty to get ticked off about. For me it’s seeing Hairston still on the roster and worse when I see him starting.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Why isn’t Werth in the locker room. Stupid in a 6-2 game to have him on wet turf. You have McLouth, use him.

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Is WERTh out there? Wow can’t believe it.

122. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Getting dark in frederick . Enjoy the off day everybody.

123. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Ugly, ugly game…. but we won the series… hopefully the fish can help us out again tonight…

• scnatsfan - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Agreed. We were due fir a stinker, probably some more with Ryan watching from the hot tub.

• coop202 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

So and only out was that horrid bunt…

• coop202 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

*span’s

124. micksback1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I can accept the loss, you won’t win them all and we won series and are still in first.

My critique is on Barrett who reminds me of another buffoon who played for the Braves about 10 years ago, named John Rocker and Bryce. I really do not like knuckleheads because they are not champions in any capacity. He embarrass the team with his mach man antics. I believe in karma and that young jack ass got what he deserved today, a crap ass performance.

Bryce, all I can say is son, if you have your team mates back after an injury to a key player, it s time to step up, not strikeout 3 times in a row and then pout about to the umpire. Sorry, Bryce Harper is not a star and will never be period, a star steps up, he sits down

125. micksback1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:21 PM

also, we have to get a legitimate back up catcher, Lobaton is just horrible!

nice try in the bottom of the 9th, notice, its the guys with heart stepping up

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Well said Mick well said. And how does Lobos fubar look now

• adcwonk - Jul 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM

also, we have to get a legitimate back up catcher

And I’ll respond again: Lobaton seems to be above average for a backup catcher. Can you name more than a few backup catchers who are better than he is? I know I can’t. Pena of the Reds is the only one I can think of that’s had a significant number of AB’s that has a higher BA. The Giants, their backup is Sanchez — he’s batting .198; the two catchers the almighty Dodgers have are Ellis (.216) and Butera (.207). Cardinals backup catcher — who’s playing now that Molina is on 15 day DL — is Cruz (.211).

A good hitting catcher is hard to find. To get *two* of them, so one can be backup, is extremely difficult.

126. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Zach Walters with contact.

127. micksback1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM

yes Anthony, love your game young man, you are a champion

128. micksback1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM

ALR, let’s win this, that would be nice

129. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Heart and soul team. No matter what happens, this is impressive.

• micksback1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

agreed!!!

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Yes yes

• nats128 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Just a different look to the top of the order going Span to Werth to Rendon to Laroche to Desmond to Harper.

130. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:25 PM

If I’m a Rockies fan I’m just throwing up right now.

131. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Desi loves the high ones. Ughhhhhhhh

132. nats128 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Desmond takes that 1-2 pitch. Gift Ian. Now make them pay!

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Yes. That was a gift. I remember that happened to Lance Berkman against the Nats. Then Berkman took the gift and won the game.

133. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Those Barrett/Lobaton blunders sure look magnified now. Desi has to remember that the pressure is on Hawkins here.

• secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Yes yes why we need better backups

134. micksback1 - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM

look at it this way, for CO to beat us, they have to stop our best player this series, Ian. great effort though

135. secretwasianman - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Again not only was this a terrible lineup by MW batting Hairston 2 nd was even worse. Team almost won despite MW.

• nats128 - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:40 PM

+1 8th or 9th is where he should be if he has to play.

136. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Well, that was interesting. I’m still wondering why Span bunted earlier. Even a good bunt would’ve been a dumb strategy.
    Hairston’s throw should be the final straw. Come on, Mike Rizzo. Cut your losses now.

137. Joe Seamhead - Jul 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Bat bunt by Span, but let’s not forget that he had an otherwise great day at the plate going 4-5, two runs scored, an RBI and a steal.

138. nats128 - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Haren blowing up again. 5 runs given up in 5 innings. I thought his problem was he was homesick and needed to be in LA.

Such a joke the excuses people here come up with.

The guy just stinks. He had 5 good starts and hasn’t pitched good since. How soon before the Dodgers DFA him.

139. nats128 - Jul 23, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Haren blew up again. 5 runs given up in 5 innings and pulled. I thought his problem was he was homesick and needed to be in LA.

Such a joke the excuses people here come up with.