Game 101: Nats at Reds

Jul 26, 2014, 2:04 PM EST

USA Today Sports Images USA Today Sports Images

If you’re among those skeptics who keeps saying you’re waiting for the Nationals to go on a sustained run … well, perhaps you haven’t been paying very close attention. The Nats enter today’s game in Cincinnati having won 7 of 9 and 15 of 21. Since May 28, they are 31-17, the best record in baseball. That’s a .646 winning percentage, which over a full season equals 105 wins. Guess what, everybody? This team is good. Really good.

The Nationals will try to keep it going this afternoon, facing an All-Star in Reds right-hander Johnny Cueto. They’ll have Gio Gonzalez on the mound, trying to bounce back from a ragged, 3 1/3-inning start against the Brewers.

Enjoy the game and the conversation…

WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS

UMPIRES
HP Jeff Nelson
1B Toby Basner
2B Laz Diaz
3B Mark Carlson

1. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Not good. 8 weeks would have him back just in time for the playoffs, but any setback and he’s done for good.

• micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:13 PM

actually, it sounds more like Ryan would be back for the last week and one half of regular season

• NatsLady - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Gotta get Beltre. (I watched Castro last night, no thanks).

Here is from last thread on Span.
      Span has led off an inning 159 times. Here is what he’s done for the season, with bases empty, none out====> ..302/.362/.434

He’s had 14 doubles and 3 triples (and one homer) leading off. When your first batter gets an XBH that is a tremendous advantage to scoring a run because you don’t have to “waste” an out getting him into scoring position.

Span has led off an inning 159 times. Here is what he’s done for the season, with bases empty, none out====> .302/.362/.434

Leading off an inning.

• NatsLady - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Sorry about the double sentence. Was having trouble getting the link to work.

• David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:16 PM

We’re not getting Beltre. Ladson is reporting that we tried, but were turned away. The Rangers think they can compete next year, it’s not like Philly where they need to do a full rebuild.

• NatsLady - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM

That’s too bad about Beltre, but I understand the Rangers’ point of view. Their season was unbelievably sabotaged by injuries, but they still have plenty of talent. Short of Giolito and Cole, I don’t see that we had the talent to overwhelm them. And though I like Beltre A LOT, it is a two- or three-month rental, because you would trade him in November (probably get a good return, but not Giolito and Cole).

• Eric - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM

If we make the playoffs, I would absolutely hate to see Zim on the DL for any of those games, especially any beyond the NLDS. What heartbreakingly bad luck that would be.

• natszee - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Some kind of platoon with Danny as a defensive replacement but if and only if you fix the bench. I don’t think the Nats can afford the extra out and yes, I see he has a new approach …. Espinosa Ver 5.3 … Not sure how stable this release is given the past attempts.

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:35 PM

That’s spot on to my info I posted last week with the 6-8 weeks. Ryan’s a slow healer so I expect early September. Guess he will be fresh for the post-season.

Rizzo will continue to talk up Espinosa to entice suitors.

• micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM

bet Zim is back Sept 20

• Eric - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I mean, it’s a grade 2 strain. Guessing 6-8 weeks is like guessing a US sunrise will occur somewhere south of east ;)

• Section 222 - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:28 PM

LOL Eric.

2. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:12 PM

I’m not a fan of Frandsen starting at 2B. I hope that he makes me eat crow later!

• micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I think Frandsen knows Cueto maybe better than Espi and of course Walters. But, i would think MW would want to give alters as many bats as possible

• natszee - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Me too

• Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I think it’s not good for doubleplay continuity with juggling 3 players in 1 position.

3. micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM

it seems like R Zim is always going to be injury prone, i wonder what this bodes for 2014 and beyond?

4. micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Is Prado still in the discussion? and

what about Lombo? just a thought

5. micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:22 PM

there it is Frandsen vs Cueto BA 283, OBP 444

Espi BA273 OBP 333

6. richardp6 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Trade Zim to the AL now where he can DH. The handwriting is on the wall. Though a crowd favorite, its not the time to be too sentimental and of course loyalty has no place in baseball, ouch.

• micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM

that could very well be in the plans for the off season, depending on how 2014 ends up. if Nats go to WS, not necessarily win it, I think there is no way Rizz trades him, but if Nats are 1 round and out this year, i think such a move could be made that would really help the Nats in the long run

I appreciate RZim, he is a great role model and steward of MLB, but reality is he can not go anywhere close to even 3/4’s of a season anymore. As a DH, he would command an incredible return to the Nats. An AL team would never have to worry about Zim’s arm, etc..

• thenatom - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:35 PM

No way he can go 3/4 of a season? He’s only missed more than 20 games (1/8) twice before this season, 2008 and 2011.

• realdealnats - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I asked this same question a month ago about Zim possibly going to the AL for some young hitters, and the immediate and resounding response from three or four NIers was he has a No Trade contract etc etc…but Zims realism about coming back to play wherever he was needed was making me think the same thing. Obviously he has that contract, but maybe he wants to opt out of that contract to be a DL for the Red Sox or someone else. Not wanting to see Zim go, I just asked b/c my wife’s Boston relatives were saying he’s a guy we’d love to have, so I floated the question. I love Zim, but options are always good. if for no other reason than you can opt to hold on to a good man.

• NatsLady - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Can we please stop with suggesting a trade of RZim? He has a no-trade clause and 10-5 rights. He isn’t going anywhere, except perhaps first base or left field.

• Section 222 - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Not. Gonna. Happen. Especially when it’s not even clear he can play again this year.

• Section 222 - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Also, why trade Zim before you see if he can be a capable replacement for ALR next year?

No trade clauses and 10-5 rights can be waived, no? I can certainly imagine a situation where Zim gives his consent a trade at some point in the future. But not yet, and certainly not this year.

7. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:35 PM

They’re not trading Zim so you should just forget that idea. It’s not happening. And for all the talk about how injury prone he is, he regularly plays 140+ games. This is the first year where it’s really hit him hard since 2010.

• micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM

First of all, I am suggesting that it could be a possibility after the season for the reasons I gave Secondly, 2012, 2013 and now this year Zim has been plagued with injuries, not my opinion, FACT!

• David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Sure, but you said he can’t go anywhere close to 3/4 of a season. That’s not true. He’s played more than that and despite the shoulder issues has remained a productive player.

• natsjackinfl - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:10 PM

David. Actual facts mean very little to the poster.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM

What part of “NO TRADE CLAUSE” and 10-5 rights isn’t clear?
        Ryan Zimmerman is not going to be traded.

8. natsfan1a - Jul 26, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Taking a friend out for birthday dinner later but should see some of the early innings in real time. Go, GIO! Go, NATS!!

9. janebeard - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I can’t imagine them ever trading Zimm. We are probably gonna lose Ian in a few years. To lose them both would take the heart right out of the team.

We gotta win a bunch of games this week to gain ground on the Braves. Today would be a good day to start. I think Gio beats Cueto. GYFNG

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:30 PM

“Never say ‘never’,” but trading Zim seems very unlikely.
      1. He has full no-trade rights.

2. He has always been emphatic about not wanting to go anywhere else. He insisted on the no-trade clause for a reason.

3. He has a personal services contract with the Lerners that starts at his retirement. He doesn’t need the money.

4. Throwing even more money at him, then, won’t help, but even if it would, that would make him way too expensive to be worth any possible trade return.

5. If you are betting he will spend increasingly longer DL stays, then you need to find a trade partner in the AL who disagrees strongly enough to give you enough to make such a trade worthwhile. That’s a tall order by itself, even if the Nats eat his large salary in the deal, which the Lerners aren’t likely to favor.

6. Most of his DL-injuries have happened on offense, so DHing probably won’t keep him on the field. Which an AL GM would probably point out in any trade talks.

He really IS the face of the franchise. That’s a BFD, as they say.

10. janebeard - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

11. janebeard - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM

• natsjackinfl - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Hey Jane, I think you just hit triples alley.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Yeah, but she’s once, twice, three times a lady!

12. masterfishkeeper - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I’m happy to see the Cards signed AJ Pierzynski. He sounds like a real jerk. Maybe he can make sure they don’t make the playoffs.

13. natsjackinfl - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I’m not a fan of Fransden at second base today.

Sure, Cueto is tough but Danny and Zach need to be in the lineup and Fransden can come off the bench like he’s paid to do.

• stoatva - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM

This.

• Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I think Matty is a rookie manager still trying to get a handle on the whole “keep ‘em fresh” thing. It’s a good idea, but can be hard to operationalize.

• therealjohnc - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Particularly because whenever you “keep ‘em fresh” by starting a bench guy, a massive thread of “why now, why today?” will start up. Every. Single. Time.

And if it affects the outcome negatively even the tiniest bit, the “our manager is a MORAN” chants will start. Which is why I believe that, at any given time, the 30 dumbest people on the planet are the 30 managers of major league baseball teams. Because anyone else could do a better job – just look at comment threads! Unless and until the commentator gets the job, of course. Because then THAT person would be … one of hte 30 dumbest people on the planet.

Think of it as an occupational hazard. You lose IQ points when you take the job.

• Section 222 - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Do you mean Danny OR Zach? If not, why do they both need to be in the lineup and where should they play. Latos (RH) pitches tomorrow, so I expect Walters will be back in the lineup. I’m ok with giving Frandsen a start. And if he gives Danny 1 out of the 3 starts, that’s ok too. Keep ‘em all fresh and hope someone catches fire.

• natsjackinfl - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Definitely meant “or”.

14. Section 222 - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:34 PM

It seems like MW has figured out that that Espi is a net minus against RHP. Good for him. The facts are clear and no “new approach” is going to change things. I have no problem giving both Walters and Frandsen a shot out there. Has to help both of them as PHs to start every other day. Espi should be a late inning defensive replacement in any game where we have a lead after 6.

Don’t hold your breath for trade or FA acquisition.

At least Frandsen isn’t batting 2d.

15. scnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Let’s hope Gio pitches like Roark instead of himself tonight.

I was firmly in Detwiler’s camp in ST as our #5 and, as such, you can ignore all of my opinions for the rest of the year.

16. NatsLady - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:58 PM

A.J. Cole 3-0, 2.88 ERA, 1.21 WHIP in July (4GS)

From Nationals Prospects. As FP would say, “He’s ready, call him up.” Seriously, it is great to see (almost) major-league ready pitching talent, because I worry about Gio’s shoulder.

17. davecydell - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Gio could use 2 or 3 runs

18. micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Ian is ice cold, injury?

19. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Good first inning for Gio

20. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM

I’m not sure what I said that was so terrible, but evidently it was taken as such,so therefore I sincerely apologize,mick. Now, let’s all just enjoy the game, ok?

I hope the bottom of the first is what we see from Gio all game today.

• natsjackinfl - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Told you about that thin skin, Joe.

And Gator says the first 2 beers next spring are on him.

21. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Reds defense has saved Cueto 3 runs

22. Section 222 - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:33 PM

FP is so intent on defending Bryce that he’s making a fool of himself. Bryce didn’t “have to read” the play at that point. He didn’t have to round second. He didn’t have to try to score from first on the play. And he didn’t have to choose between going half way and rounding the bag at second. He could have gone 3/4 of the way, or even all the way to second and been able to make it back. He could have waited to see what happened to the ball before turning his head away from the play. It was not a good play, FP. And if you would have done it too, you’d have been just as wrong. Come on.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:39 PM

At the same time, in the bottom of the first on the ball that Hamilton caught? If Billy doesn’t catch the ball Rendon would score easily. He should’ve been able to tag up and go to 3rd on that play. That is an example of what I say that Span does that seems to go un-noticed.

23. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Gio, throw strikes. Your pitch count depends on it.

24. tony - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:47 PM

How about getting Dustin Pedroia from Boston for second base. Would take some top talent from minors.

• Section 222 - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Would the Red Sox trade Pedroia for Zim straight up? Should we do that?

• natsjackinfl - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Unbelievable.

25. nats1924 - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM

not trying to be negative ned — When do we start being considered with Harp’s lack of power?

I know he was injured, but it still has to be concerning a teeny bit

26. scnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Harper is just struggling right now. I know MW is in a tough spot, bench him and he pouts and he needs abs to get going but the team is winning in spite of him right now. Great catch last night though. You have to wonder if his thumb still hurts.

• scnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I know it is impolite to complain about a free blog but wordpress gets worse. It is the Matt Stairs of blogs.

27. nats1924 - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM

not tryin to be negative ned — when do we starting getting conerned with Harps lack of power?

I know he was hurt, but still where did it go

28. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I didn’t quite get the bigot accusation. That is so misguided, and inaccurate, when describing me that I won’t bother to even address it.I have a ton of faults, hell, just ask my wife, but bigoted is not one of them. Well, except maybe against the Phillies fans, and the stupid chop fans in Atlanta.

• micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Joe

not you, i meant the atsnfl guy, how did that come put that way, must be word press

did not mean you

29. breakbad1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:04 PM

222 I was also disappointed by FP’s gushing about the astonishingly-smart baserunning play by Harper, getting doubled-off by a a guy on the warning track.

I was equally nauseated by the way FP and Carp went on and on about Harper’s hustle on the play.

Harper jogged halfway from second back to first. Then, when it looked like it might be close, he turned it on a little bit the last 30 feet or so.

Harper did not, repeat not, hustle on this play, He was jogging. Watch it again–it’s very plain.

I think there’s been some kind of corporate communication issued to the broadcast staff to preempt any criticism of Harper with effusive praise immediately after he disappoints. Kolko was also summoned immediately after the play to say how Matt Williams told the players he would support them nearly every time for aggressive baserunning. Was Harper aggressively returning to first? — No.

Our team is funny for names. We have a Zimmermann and a Zimmerman.

We have a Span. But man, we really have a “Spin.”

• David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM

In fairness, the blatant homerism isn’t limited to Bryce. They do it for any Nat player.

• NatsLady - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:13 PM

You watch Span. He ALWAYS knows when an outfielder is going to catch a ball. Bryce needs to watch video (or just play years in the outfield) to get that kind of judgment. Or perhaps there is a base coach he could put his eye on?

30. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Great effort by Span! He cover a lot of ground to come up just short.

31. breakbad1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I think WordPress put this comment out of chronological order…trying again

Our team is funny for names. We have a Zimmermann and a Zimmerman.

We have a Span. But man, we really have a “Spin.”

32. manassasnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:36 PM

FYI Word Press is even worse than we though.

I was in Pigeon Forge since last Saturday.

I could read the comments. I tried logging in and it said I was logged in but no comment box would come.

I just got home checked the page, didn’t read anything yet, but I noticed immediately the box for me to comment was back.

What is the deal there I wonder.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Glad you’re ok. We were worried about you.

• stoatva - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM

I can’t log in using Firefox.

• Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I had that problem the other night on Safari. This Word Press program has a lot of issues.

33. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Goes 3-2 then a single to the opposing pitcher.

34. manassasnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Even when we are first I see that people just can’t be happy. When we are first I see know reason to be upset with anyone or even a losing effort til now.

Don’t worry be happy.

35. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Harper is killing us on the basepaths today. Just awful baserunning. Awful.

36. scmargenau - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Ok. Iv had it with bryce….

37. Ghost of Steve M. - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Harper.playing High School again.

38. nats1924 - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM

three mistakes on the base paths this series

Harp, meet MW’s doghouse, again

39. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Ok, I stick up for all the guys, but Bryce is a dodo bird sometimes. No excuse for that play.

• stoatva - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Joe Seamhead speaks for moi.

40. Drew - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:52 PM

What was Bryce Harper thinking?

What was he doing?

Where was he going?

41. manassasnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:53 PM

On the Radio Harper had a running mistake, and now on TV AGAIN POOR RUNNING .

Harper needs a running coach, because his decision making has not been good this year.

42. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I guess what Harper was thinking is that you want to get to third base because a hit off Cueto is tough to come by and you can score on a sac fly. That’s all well and good, but you HAVE to make it or you don’t go. Period. Just stupid.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Since he just rounded second, if Harper thinks he can make that then indeed he is non thinker, many people have declared.

• David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I think he just got caught in between. It’s still unacceptable.

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

It was in between, when the third baseman caught it, but barely started when first baseman caught it.

43. Eric - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Wow…Harper’s effort to take third had to be the dumbest baserunning I’ve ever seen…granted I’ve only been watching regularly for a couple years… But… Wow.

44. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Very encouraging outing by Gio.

• Eric - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM

• scmargenau - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Yes. We need some runs 4 him!

45. manassasnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Gio pitched well today. Except the first batter I saw Halsey in the 5th he was fine.

Of course not watching him and allowed him to steal easily to compound his one bad inning

46. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Why would ALR swing at ball 3 when those runners had the bases stolen easily? This team has played braindead today.

• scmargenau - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:21 PM

What would u blame that on? Prep? Day off?

• David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Nothing really. In a 162 game schedule, there will be games like this

• manassasnatsfan - Jul 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Why? Because first ball 3 was called a strike, and that ball was going to be called a strike too. You can’t just swing at strike 3 against Chapman and expect a hit.

47. David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Add Matt Williams to the list of braindead Nats in this game.

48. scmargenau - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Gio deserved a better effort

49. Drew - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Man, what a lousy game for Harper.

50. Joe Seamhead - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I hate the bunt Harper strategy.

• David Proctor - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Horrible. Blame Matt for that one. Makes no sense.

51. Mrsb loves the Nats - Jul 26, 2014 at 6:39 PM

That was an awful game… just awful… and there really is no excusing Bryce Harper and his stupid play.

Let’s take the series win tomorrow.

52. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Wow.

53. micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Sofa

this clown only cherry picks any post he does not like and attacks me

I will not stand for it. I never attack his post!!!

54. Section 222 - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM

mick, you need to develop a little thicker skin. When someone disagrees with you, they are not necessarily attacking you. In addition, your post agreeing that Zim might be traded in the off season contained some factual errors. People are going to correct those, you must know that by now. Misstating or exaggerating facts in order to bolster your argument is not going to go unnoticed. Accept the corrections and move on. No need to lash out, and particularly no need to use foul language.

55. micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 3:52 PM

what errors I beab by saying

“that could very well be in the plans for the off season, depending on how 2014 ends up.” read my later post, think it explains why i am anger and Also, the poster I suspect is a bit of bigot as well and quite judgemental

what corrections, the ONLY one was 3/4 ofa season, again if Zm did not sit out in 2012, 2013 and 2014, then yes, I deserve to be called out, if he has been injured, what possibly would I accept??? I ONLY apologize for the fol language, you are correct. But, that is all you are correct about
    again, i was responding to a poster who actually posted Zim should be traded, but alas, who does the troll attack??

hmmm?

56. Section 222 - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:45 PM

The error you made was saying, “reality is he can not go anywhere close to even 3/4′s of a season anymore.” That’s just demonstrably wrong. And it was crucial to your argument that we have no choice but to trade him. Now, this statement is also probably not true either: “As a DH, he would command an incredible return to the Nats.” He has a huge guaranteed contract. And he’s injury prone not as a fielder, but as a baserunner, as a subsequent poster pointed out. Plus, if he doesn’t play for the rest of this season, potential trade partners are going to be wary.

But the bottom line is that no one was attacking you, they were just disagreeing, perhaps with a little snark, but no more than all of us endure if we take strong positions on here. And you responded with vitriol, and by calling someone a racist which I really don’t get.

For a guy who dishes out a lot of harsh criticism, both of posters and, especially, of players, you sure have a low tolerance for being criticized yourself. You could also stand to use a spellchecker.

57. natsjackinfl - Jul 26, 2014 at 4:47 PM

58. Eric - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:32 PM

The last point is extremely salient. Mick, why dish it out if you can’t take it?

That said, “Actual facts mean very little to the poster.” is close enough to an attack that even F.P. might struggle to suggest how it’s not one ;)

59. micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I did not have a chance to respond to your post during the game thread, i had a brief moment to clarify to Joe that i did not mean him on the bigot comment. however, let say this, Joe proved a point I have been making about most of you, that is you don’t read carefully and the reading comprehension is either on a 1st grade level or there is serious delusion going on. In my post to Joe, I clearly referred to another poster as a bigot, how Joe thought I meant him can only be because he did not read my post through and only selected from it what he wanted.

Now , I am going to paste your post and answer you with facts:

First off. that is what you are saying, you are saying that it was crucial to my argument. What is crucial is the fact that Zim has now missed significant time 3 seasons in a row. Significant is subjective and yes, perhaps saying 3/4 was over the top but my central point is spot on’

Next, where did I say “we have no choice but to trade him”?????? That is a lie and that is wrong on your part

How do you know RZim would not command a lot ina trade as a DH in the AL, Where is your evidence to either support or refute oither than an opinion? As far as your second sentence in this paragraph, what is your point, I did not bring up baserunner and in fact, you prove my point, if he is injury prone as a fielder, would it not make sense for him to be a DH?? Another teachable moment for you, i said injury prone, you said but as a baserunner, I am simply saying injury prone, shoulder, pecs, lats, etc… I really have no idea what youur point was on that. And how do you know if Zim does not play it devalues his trade stock??

there is a difference between a bigot and a racist and I suggest you
    check your Webster dictionary. I see a bigot as someone who judges a person and then stereotypes them over one encounter and can not move beyond it because they are obtuse and yes bigoted.

yeah, i ought to use spell check, but you need to read more carefully as does Seamhead, because how he derives I was calling him a bigot is simply mind boggling!!

60. natsjackinfl - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:42 PM

+1 ; )

61. Soul Possession, Sec 3, My Sofa - Jul 26, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I would not characterize that as an attack. Snark, ok. Unnecessary, perhaps. Common knowledge, probably.

62. micksback1 - Jul 26, 2014 at 7:04 PM

who do I EVER dish a negative remark to in here???? again, another lie