Jul 27, 2014, 11:22 AM EST
After a frustrating, 1-0 loss yesterday at Great American Ball Park, the Nationals return today needing a win to take the weekend series against the Reds and continue their impressive run. They’ve either won or split nine of their last 10 series.
Who better, then, to have on the mound than Doug Fister? The right-hander has made six starts immediately after a Nationals loss, and has produced five wins. He also beat the Reds back in May, allowing two runs over seven innings.
With the pitch-to-contact Fister starting, the Nationals are going with a defense-first lineup, including Danny Espinosa at second base. That lineup will face right-hander Mat Latos, who boasts a 3.15 ERA in seven starts but has only two wins due to poor run support.
I’m not in Cincinnati, but I’ll be heading down to Miami tomorrow for the final leg of the road trip and the final stretch before Thursday’s trade deadline. Enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Chance of rain, 80 degrees, Wind 12 mph RF to LF
CF Denard Span
3B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
2B Danny Espinosa
C Jose Lobaton
RHP Doug Fister
CF Billy Hamilton
2B Skip Schumaker
3B Todd Frazier
RF Jay Bruce
C Devin Mesoraco
1B Jack Hannahan
LF Donald Lutz
SS Ramon Santiago
RHP Mat Latos
HP Toby Basner
1B Laz Diaz
2B Mark Carlson
3B Jeff Nelson
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper has tickets to the Super Bowl
- 2015 outlook: Detroit Tigers
- MLB's Manfred: Montreal has helped case for return of baseball
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond