Jul 27, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT
After a frustrating, 1-0 loss yesterday at Great American Ball Park, the Nationals return today needing a win to take the weekend series against the Reds and continue their impressive run. They’ve either won or split nine of their last 10 series.
Who better, then, to have on the mound than Doug Fister? The right-hander has made six starts immediately after a Nationals loss, and has produced five wins. He also beat the Reds back in May, allowing two runs over seven innings.
With the pitch-to-contact Fister starting, the Nationals are going with a defense-first lineup, including Danny Espinosa at second base. That lineup will face right-hander Mat Latos, who boasts a 3.15 ERA in seven starts but has only two wins due to poor run support.
I’m not in Cincinnati, but I’ll be heading down to Miami tomorrow for the final leg of the road trip and the final stretch before Thursday’s trade deadline. Enjoy the game and the conversation…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CINCINNATI REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 869, MLB.com
Weather: Chance of rain, 80 degrees, Wind 12 mph RF to LF
CF Denard Span
3B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
SS Ian Desmond
LF Bryce Harper
2B Danny Espinosa
C Jose Lobaton
RHP Doug Fister
CF Billy Hamilton
2B Skip Schumaker
3B Todd Frazier
RF Jay Bruce
C Devin Mesoraco
1B Jack Hannahan
LF Donald Lutz
SS Ramon Santiago
RHP Mat Latos
HP Toby Basner
1B Laz Diaz
2B Mark Carlson
3B Jeff Nelson
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nats interviewed former All-Star for manager position
- Nationals roster review: Michael Taylor
- Trio of Nats coaches will remain in organization
- MLB Playoffs continue with 4 Division Series games
- Roster review: Bryce Harper
- Important offseason dates to consider for the Nationals
- Ripken on Nats manager job: 'I'd answer the phone'
- Both ALDS shift to Texas for Game 3s
- Both NL Division Series continue with Saturday doubleheader
- Phillies could hire MLB's first female general manager